Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Scribonius/Aelinus

Default Re: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Scribonius/Galerius

Marcius looks at Atius

"They are still enemies of Rome! I say they be enslaved or displaced!"
    Alistair Yronwood - Lord of Yronwood, Warden of the Stone Way, Blood Royal

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

Senator

"I would like also to suggest to that we send diplomats to the Aedui and the Arverni asking for peace and trade rights and also i suggest that we send our spy situated in sicily to Tarentum and i would also like to thank everyone who voted for me"

ooc: do i make the threads with the motions?

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

OOC: You lead the senate I believe so you keep order and when you believe there has been sufficient debate, you can call a vote. I think that's still the JCs job.
    add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!

Caesar Rex's Avatar Campidoctor

The situation with the italian allies is a furvent one. One that we must not just disregard. They have been loyal for a long time now yet nothing is stopping them from joining with our enemy and denouncing Rome. Remember how we gained their loyalty. It was not from treatise or a simple handshake. It was through fighting. That grudge will always be held no matter how we look at it.
    Co-Founder and Leader at Clan Dream (Multi-National Online Gaming Community)

Voice Chat @ Discord

Philos Sophos's Avatar Protector Domesticus

ooc:why do I have to live in the wrong time zone

IC:Senator Gaius stands.

"Senators.I believe that Tarentum must be fought to us,but I suggest that we enslave them because they don't deserve to die,and it gives us more slaves that are needed."

O Sancta Simplicitas!

May I suggest senators that we look at issues that effect us before the campaigns begin?

Currently we have not established a government In Umbria(at Ariminum) and we have a large, expensive and yet completely ineffective fleet docked in Etruria. On the first point we need to establish a government there and if we establish a government like the rest of our allies, it would take up nearly half our treasury and take in the region of 2 and a half years to get running.

On the second point, the navy we have accounts for nearly 20% of our military upkeep and consists of cargo vessels that we have paid merchants to lend us. Not only to they keep merchants from performing their duties, but it costs an extortionate amount to run. Do we need a navy? It's not like we're going to invade Epeiros any time soon.

OOC:report coming up later today or tonight hopefully.
    Last edited by We shall fwee...Wode; September 11, 2008 at 11:59 AM.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Here are my thoughts on the various issues being expressed:

- On the Italian allies. I believe that after hundreds of years of service to us, and hardly any reward except being called part of the Republic of Rome, it is about time that they received some form of appreciation from us for their service. A Roman citizenship would be perfect, as choices to vote are given to them, and we all know the respect that is given when a Roman citizen announces himself even in other nations across the Mediterranean

- On the treatment of Taras. To me the choice must either be to enslave or to relocate. Personally, I think relocate is best out of the two options. By intergrating them in our own cities, we can change the habits and actions of the people to an extent that they could almost appear Roman. And while that happens, the town can be rebuilt in a Roman style, and so any others who venture to Taras in the future will find a Roman city and a Roman lifestyle waiting for them.

- On government in Umbria, and the large fleet. A government at Umbria must be installed, otherwise it might lead to unhappiness because of either no order in the streets, or crowding of the city due to no one there to expand the city. This must be done as quickly as possible. We don't need rioting with so much other things on our hands. As for the fleet, big though it might be, I would like to ask senator Balbus was he proposes to do with it. Sure, it might be draining our treasury somewhat, but it's protecting our seas! If we get rid of it, and Carthage becomes a supreme sea power, how will our trade ships get through to earn us more profit? If the proposed solution by senator Balabus is valid, I will take it, but if not, I shall propose to leave the fleet as it is.

I believe that the fleet is not neccesary as we are allies with Carthage and these are not warships, but merchant vessels being squandered from their true calling. These ships are transports not war vessels and as such they are not needed until we have a foreign war which is not an immediate concern. What is a concern is nearly a fifth of military expenditure going on a part of it which cannot be used. Report very soon and then you may see my point.

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

I support senator Balbvs in this question.
    As he says, we are allied with Carthago and there should not be any other treat within our range.

I do also believe that rewarding the citizens of our allied by giving them a roman citizenship would be to our favor.
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Now before we commit to any action just yet however, I feel we must have the consuls and the quaestor present to the senate a report on the finances, military, and infrastructure of the Res Pubica. Only then may we make a truly informed decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Ah, as we are allied with Carthage, then I suppose they pose no immediate threat to us. Therefore, I shall agree to the cutting down of the navy's size. However, it must not be fully disbanded, otherwise if anyone does declare war on us, we still at least have something with which to defend our seas before greater warships are built.

The Praetor of Rome stands.

gentlemen, we must bring these issues to a vote immediately if we are to seize the advantage. I think there has been general consensus that the south must be taken. That is good, but let's not sit and talk, let's send legions now. Let us give the Consul two legions for the job, and should he need more he may request it.

(guys, let's keep the OOC convos out of the curia, we have threads for that)

"Two Legions", Praetor? The Epirote menace is weakened. I believe that a single legion will be enough to expel them before we turn to Rhegion.

All Roman fleets docked and inactive shall be disbanded, too. As of now, there is no serious threat coming from the seas that justifies their need and their expenses.
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)

"I would rather see our men in the field than rotting in city garrisons, senator."

But there aren't enough men, Praetor. We should motion to keep a minimum garrison inside our towns, and we must strike them quickly. As quickly as possible!
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)

Then the next course should be simple to see. We must levy more men. Preferably men suited for garrison life. if only one legion can be sent, then by all means, let us send only one legion. A report on the state of the Res Publica would help us decide the next course of action.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

I absolutely will not approve of levying any more plebeians from their homes and farms until I see that we truly are in need more troops. We need and must demand a report from the Consul!

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

"Yes I think we have enough legions for the moment."

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

The Quaestors report

I shall be brief and to the point with this men as we have no time for wasting.

Ariminvm

Needs a government, of which the first stage is to establish military rule over the city (cost 100 Mnai) and also requires growth as it has less then 20,000 inhabitants(has 1,900 in game). Also lacking in basic sanitation, granaries.

Arpi

Has government in place, but has a severe lack of inhabitants (less than Ariminum) and the same lack of basic sanitation and granaries.

Arretivm

Well established with basics provided for. For the time being, investment not neccesary.

Capva

Very well established with very little need for investment and improvement of infastructure as of yet.

Roma

As with Capva, very stable and no need for investment.

There is then the matter of the fleet with costs presented here:

You decide senators. (OOC: Can't reduce it's size. It's this or nothing)

And finally a report on taxation.

Here is the current outlook for the spring of this year with normal tax rates applied to all cities.

However I propose raising the taxes in Roma, Capva and Arretivm(only to high); while decreasing those in Ariminvm and Arpi(to low). The reasoning is that to ensure future prosperity in Ariminvm and Arpi, we should encourage growth now; with the rises elsewhere not only reimbursing the money lost helping other cities develop, but increasing flow into the treasury.

(OOC: Predictions are made with the navy still in service)
    Last edited by We shall fwee...Wode; September 11, 2008 at 08:44 PM.

"Thank you for the update QUaestor."

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast