Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Scribonius/Aelinus

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Default Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Scribonius/Aelinus

I changed it to Curia Hostilia for the sake of accuracy, if you want the old curia Ivlia back just ask

Rendering of the inside of the Curia Ivlia, the Curia commissioned by Julius Caesar in 44 B.C. to replace the Curia Hostilia, which had served Rome for Centuries before.

MAGISTRATA IN ANNO 481 A.U.C.
    (Magistrates in the year 485 ab urbe condite - 272 B.C.)

LUCIUS SCRIBONIUS -
    OPPIUS MARCUS AELINUS - CONSULES

MARCUS APPULEIUS SATURNINUS - CENSOR

CAIUS SCIPIO - VIBUS ROMULUS - PRAETOR
    L. AU. LEPIDUS - M. CL. CLARUS - TRIBUNIS PLEBIS
    MARCUS ATIUS BALBUS - QUAESTOR

Last edited by Winter; September 14, 2008 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Default Re: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Scribonius/Galerius

Caius strides into the Senate Hall.

Esteemed brethren, could the acting consuls please update the senators as to the current financial and military situations?

Gaius Macius slwoly walks into the Cvria. He has a smile on his lips and he pats a few Senators on the back. Its good to be home.
    Alistair Yronwood - Lord of Yronwood, Warden of the Stone Way, Blood Royal

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

Caesar Rex's Avatar Campidoctor

Lucius Scribonius entered the sacred halls and watched as the senators and newly elected officials made there way to their seats. After a short period he stood to make the opening speech.

Senators of Rome, esteemed colleagues, friends, countrymen. The voters have clearly shown their minds in our latest election.
    Four candidates running for consul is a clear indication that many of you have ideas on how Rome should be governed and how the current situation should be handled.
    Yes we have many newly acquired towns and our borders have never stretched so far toward the gallic north and greco south.
    There are many divided faction amongst us senators but now is the time for us to step forward and put Rome in her place as the leader of the free world.
    I ask that all those who have suggestions on our current situation step forward.
    It is a time for unity. Let all divisions melt away and let us lead this republic as one.
    Co-Founder and Leader at Clan Dream (Multi-National Online Gaming Community)

Voice Chat @ Discord

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Tribune Lepidus steps forward to speak.

" I am sure we are all aware the disasterious toll the Pyrrhic wars took on our nation. Now that Pyrrhus has retreated to Greece we have a decision to make; Do we allow the Tarentine Greeks to stand after being such staunch supporters of our foe, or do we crush them as they deserve to be crushed?

Senators I am no fan of war, but we must finish this fight! Tarentum must be won! Let us sweep clear Italy of all those that would take up arms against our beloved republic!"

"I agree with Ledidus' proposals. If we are to assert Roman dominance elsewhere, we must be able to rule the whole of the Italian peninsula first."

"Yes we must! And we should make them pay for the Roman lives we took!"

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

Taras is not the most important prize, for we must take Rhegion and restore it to it's people if we are to save our reputation!

(At the start of the pyrrhic wars, a legion was sent to protect the city, an ally of Rome, but jealous of the towns wealth the legion rebelled and seized power for themselves and their general.)
    add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!

Winter's Avatar Civitate

This is quite true senator Balbus. The rebellion in Rhegion must not be allowed to stand. We must however consider our priorities.

We must defend our homeland, this is for certain. Currently Taras still has a powerful army in the region (though an intelligence update is most welcome) and could easily strike at our border regions if it felt an opportunity arise.

Attacking Rhegion first would give Taras this opportunity. Our legions, as we all know, have been severely wittled down by the wars with the Greeks, and they will take many months to retrain, so therefore we must defend with what we have for the time being.

Since the rebels in Rhegion seem perfectly content to stew in their squalor, I say leave them be until more manpower can be allocated to root them out once and for all. We must remove our primary foe first, Taras!

Tribune Lepidus sits.

Gaius Marcius stands once again.

"Both proposals have their weight but in this I must agree with Senator Lepidus. They are Romans and I doubt they will attack us so I think they can wait. However Taras is a more immediate enemy I say we take it soon!"

Winter's Avatar Civitate

"Don't get me wrong senator. I do not underestimate the threat the rebels pose, I simply feel that at this time they have neither the capability nor the will to brave an attack on our lands. Therefore we should take advantage of this momentary lapse in fighting to knock off one of these threats while we can."

Kritias's Avatar Petite bourgeois

"My friends, let us cleave to the matter at hand! To my thoughts, Tarentum is the formost priority and I will prove my point. If we stall in conquering this last Pyrrhic stronghold, we give the tyrant a foothold to return to Italy. And return, he shall! The man has given clear indication that he means our doom and he will not stop until he has accomplished that; let us deprive him of this stronghold so if he is ever to return to Italy, he will have no place to rest his men, no place to guard his gold, no place to comfort - because no city will open it's gates to him! That is clearly, the best course of action now;"
    Under the valued patronage of Abdülmecid I

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Marcus Appuleius Saturninus strides confidently into the Senate Hall and seats himself on the seat of the Censor to watch ove the proceedings of the Senate. Seeing the direction of the discussion, he rises to speak:

I am of a similar mind to Marcus Porcius Cato and Lucius Aurelius. Rome's greatest threat at the moment are the Epirots, Pyrrhus or no. Though it is true that we have yet to assert our dominance over the independent cities of Italy, I ask you, when has one of them ever rebelled openly against us? When have they ever attacked our armies and our cities, and spilt Roman blood? Never as yet! However, the Epirots with generals schooled in the Greek arts of war, could be formidable foes. Let us rid them of the peninsular before we turn to our closer and more easily manageable neighbourhood.

Caesar Rex's Avatar Campidoctor

Your suggestions are noted. I have heard enough to gather that no one stands against us moving our forces South. Let us then put it to vote and have it ratified before the people of Rome. The sooner we crush our foe the better it will be for us to ensure governance over the peninsula. How would other nations look at us if not even a handful of miles away we let the beast gather her forces against us.
    As senior consul I will head the forces south however I look to you senators of Rome to provide me with my legates for I will not reap the rewards of this final blow alone.
    Co-Founder and Leader at Clan Dream (Multi-National Online Gaming Community)

Voice Chat @ Discord

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

"My friends, are we so greedy as to want without loving what we have? You speak of protection, of vengeance, of wealth, of betrayal, but what of the towns and cities that were brave enough to support us in our time of need? This act of ultimate loyalty cannot be dismissed by saying they were supposed to do it, we must reward them for doing the right thing. Our loyal allies in this war should be given varying degrees of citizenship, so they feel rewarded, but are still competing amongst each other for our blessings. We divide and rule, as it were."
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

Citizenship is for romans, and then a second degree of citizenship for Latins. The various Italic tribes are not under our direct control except in the matters of foreign policy and troop recruitment. In all other aspects they are autonomous. This link is beneficial as it gives them something they desire much more than Roman citizenship, and that is their freedom.

What I believe is of greater concern is the actions against Taras and the establishment of a new government there.(What level government? I usually build up from 3, but seeing as it's Italy, I think we should build one.)

We I propose that we integrate the Tarantioi as quickly as possible with governments resembling that of the other states in Italy.

Kritias's Avatar Petite bourgeois

"Atilius Balbus is correct on this matter. The Italian Allies have never expressed their will to be named Roman citizens, they just want their autonomy. That we ask of them for soldiers and money is the end deal of their Alliance with Rome; we are here to secure the Italian Penninsula of any threat and they are here to assist us on this task. No need to fix what ain't broken."
    Under the valued patronage of Abdülmecid I

I support taking Tarentum and driving the Greeks from Italy. Our Italian allies have not dissapointed but i do not think they want us controlling their life`s more, they pay us money and give us soldiers and i don`t see how the people of Rome would get any benefit from our allies gaining any more "citizenship"

Leave things as they are.
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Gaius Marcius stood up and spoke with his bellowing and forceful voice.

"I agree and think that we should not incorporate our allies into our soceity. I would also like to say that if Senior Consul Scribonius needs a Legate I would like to apply."
    Last edited by Xavier Dragnesi; September 11, 2008 at 12:09 PM.

What should happen to the populace of Taras?(bear in mind that in EB, you can't exterminate, you can occupy, displace them to your cities(Can't remember the word atm), or enslave them. What do these people deserve, for please do not forget they are under the rule of a tyrant. How much of our problems are caused by the people as opposed to their rulers?

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast