Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First battle

BritPatriot1815's Avatar Ducenarius
    The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland

Default First battle

Whats gonna be your first battle?
    How far will I go for Rome? At least to the end of the street, I hate walking

Default Re: First battle

Royalist vs Parliamentarians

Parliamentarians vs Royalists

Formerly Tyrtaeus

Royalist vs Parliamentarians

BritPatriot1815's Avatar Ducenarius
    The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland

I mean which units on both armies or which battle will reanact
    How far will I go for Rome? At least to the end of the street, I hate walking

Der Angelsachse's Avatar Tiro

Well it all depends how the campaign plays out, but i'd love to pitch Rupert's Blew Coates against some Parliamentarians. Not bothered which ones, they wont live long anyway.

I'll see if I can get the Battle of Rathmines going, only with the Royalists winning.

First battle will probably be a small skirmish, I like to do a few of those before diving into a large battle with any new mod. Royalists will win though :p

Well, Royalists will be my only option as you don't seem to be including the Confederates.

You are well aware that the English Civil War is only one episode in the War of the Three Kingdoms.

http://www.british-civil-wars.co.uk/.../irish-war.htm
    Last edited by Ardruire Iacób; September 10, 2008 at 03:34 AM.

Well, Royalists will be my only option as you don't seem to be including the Confederates.

You are well aware that the English Civil War is only one episode in the War of the Three Kingdoms.
    Yes, I am. However it doesn't mean that Ireland or Scotland need to be included. My interest is in the English civil war, and therefore that is what I am modelling.

Cheers
    Last edited by AlphaDelta; September 10, 2008 at 04:14 AM.
    "I don't want to sit around Windsor because ermm .. I just generally don't like England that much" - Prince Harry, 3rd in Line for the British Thrown

For King or Country - The English civil wars.

You are including them? Must be pretty difficult...

Sorry no, I am not including Ireland. When I said "I am", it was in reply to your statement:

"You are well aware that the English Civil War is only one episode in the War of the Three kingdoms."

The only non-English aspect to the mod is the invasion of Scottish convenanters as it was the only major external force or event that had any real boots on the ground effect upon the English civil war.

Cheers
    Last edited by AlphaDelta; September 10, 2008 at 04:42 AM.
    "I don't want to sit around Windsor because ermm .. I just generally don't like England that much" - Prince Harry, 3rd in Line for the British Thrown

Well, if you decide to include them at a later stage (as is quite possible) I'll be able to supply you with information.

Well, if you decide to include them at a later stage (as is quite possible)
    From a technical stand-point, it's impossible. Inlcuding Ireland would require a new map and that is never going to happen.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Ruire View Post

http://www.british-civil-wars.co.uk/.../irish-war.htm
    I disagree. The English Civil war is a foundamental moment of English political, social, religious and costitutionl history not depending on the role Ireland and Scotland played in it. The War of Three Kingdoms is a name we (or, better, historicians - and not them all) give to a long conflict between soverign countries which lead to the end of the soveregnity of two of them. Instead, the English Civil war is, you'll guess, a civil war and, moreover, a war of a costitutional idea of monarchy against an absolutis one. If the king would had won, he would had become the English Louis XIV, and English history would had been far different. So, I agree with AD when he says his interest is strictly in the English Civil War and I find it a good historical staement not less than a practical one.

PS: maybe you'll find strange I'm proposing a Thirty Years War expantion while saying this... sorry...
    Last edited by demostene; September 14, 2008 at 09:30 AM.

Correct me if I'm wrong (I could well be), but while the tension between the monarch and parliament was paramount, wasn't it the 1641 Rebellion and the religious conflicts in Scotland that led to Charles's attempts to raise an army, which then sparked the Civil War? This Civil War led then to the opportunists in Ireland taking power and forming the Confederation, in a region which had never had a sovereign nor a sovereignty of its own for over 400 years.

I think it was the invading Scots more than the Irish rebellion that Charles was most worried about; Charles was prepared to 'wait and see' on the issue of Ireland, the loss of Newcastle was far more pressing.

Also, I believe that while the Scottish invasion and Irish rebellion strained relations between King and Parliament it was Charles' terrible decisions that led to the war. The biggest mistake of all being the attempted arrests of 5 MP's.

Cheers

Oh, actually, I changed my mind about the first battle . I'm gonna be royalists with 8 units of elite muskateers, 12 units of cannon, and parliamentarians with 20 units of peasents (if there are going to be a sort of 'peasent' unit in this game), and see who wins

Formerly Tyrtaeus

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaDelta View Post
    The biggest mistake of all being the attempted arrests of 5 MP's.

Cheers
    That's easy to say in hindsight. Had he been successful in suppressing parliament, Charles could've restored much of the monarchy's power.

You could compare it to the execution of Buckingham by Henry VIII. His execution helped Henry keep his nobles in line, but had he not been successful, for instance if Buckingham had been able to escape like the MP's, it would have lead England straight to a civil war of which the outcome could've been disastrous for Henry.

For King or Country vs Broken Crescent .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast