Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: [EB AAR] The Legacy of Megas Alexandros

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

Default Re: [EB AAR] The Legacy of Megas Alexandros

well done man.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Chapter 14: Phoinike

The last guest of the day was about to leave. Antiochos II has been asked to dismiss the guards and he complied, because he knew he didn't have to fear, as the loyalty of this man was not in question.
    Theos stands up and makes some steps towards his guest.
    "You have my gratitude for everything you have done for my father and through him, for me. I will take care personally that you will be guerdoned adequately for this. The..." He pauses shortly.
    "... other matter we discussed, will be on my mind. Your part in this now is done and you will forget this conversation and that you ever heard about it, in the first place. This is, as you certainly understand, an order."
    The two men's looks meet in silent agreement. "You are now free to go." - "Sire."

To set about his plans Antiochos Theos mustered a new army, which was due to the lack of time not as large or qualified as the one that had dissolved after the battle of the Kephisos, in northern Attike. A core of mostly inexperienced Phalangitai was accompanied by iudaian speerbearers and galatian swordsmen. The light infantry was made up of Sphendonetai and Toxotai, mercenaries from Kreta as well as native Syrians.
    The light cavalry consisted of the swift Hippakontistai and the reliable Prodromoi. The Basileus himself lead the Hetairoi, heavy cavalry unmatched in the hellenistic armies, most of them having fought in several battles under his command.
    Theos' first encounter with other hellenic troops took place at the plains just south of Antiocheia on the Orontes. The ptolemaic Strategos had become overconfident after his march north along the syrian coast had been unchecked and unthreatened, so he decided to plant his camp in sight of the city's walls.
    However, his mislead confidence was quickly set right, when the armies met and he faced defeat along the whole line of battle, leading to a rapid breakdown and an unchallenged victory for the young seleukid king.

The total defeat of this army threw the gates into Phoinike wide open and Antiochos' host quickly advanced along the well paved coastal road, occupying one harbor town after the other and gaining vast supplies, enough to support a long campaign.
    In front of the gates of Sidon, along with Tyros the most important settlement in Phoinike, however the advance came to a hold, as Epaphrodeitos Alexandreianos, the province's governor, has gathered every armed man and sought refuge behind its walls.
    But not for long, as Epaphrodeitos was not the man to cower behind fortifications and passively await his fate. So it came that under the summer's sun the governor's army sallied sallied forth to meet Antiochos on the field.

Epaphrodeitos had the clear disadvantage of a lack of a strong phalanx and a cavalry force, but he managed to put his Iudaioi to best use and the battle was decided only after Antiochos' Hetairoi bereft the ptolemaic army of its leader.

With Epaphrodeitos dead and his army dispersed nothing could stand in Antiochos' way into the city and with the city fallen, Phoinike was almost completely under control, along with its wealthy ports and the phoinikian population, that had not much love for the king in Alexandreia.

Almost - as another one of Ptolemaios' young generals, Aristippos Berenikeios, had his quarters in the hills of Galilaia, just beyond the border, endangering southern Phoinike as well as Syria Koile.
    After garrisoning Sidon and Tyre, the Basileus took the rest of his host and met Aristippos in two battles, that were fought with determination and took a bloody toll, but ended with Aristippos dead and the immediate threat removed.

Read my AARs:
    The Legacy of Megas Alexandros (Europa Barbarorum as Arche Seleukeia)
    The Prodigal Son (Shogun 2 as Mori)
    You like a good reading? Then check out the homepage of our fellow TWC-member Theodotos I at www.stephenwrites.com!

You've put allot of efford in this AAR
    Good job !

Quote Originally Posted by O X I R View Post
    You've put allot of efford in this AAR
    Good job !
    Thank you!

Read my AARs:
    You like a good reading? Then check out the homepage of our fellow TWC-member Theodotos I at www.stephenwrites.com!

Chapter 15: Iudaia

"They take the bait." Two handful of men are standing above the cliff, unmounted, the horses by the reins. In the distance an extended cloud of dust can be seen where an army is making its way through the rough mountains.
    "Courier! Tell Phanias to move into position! We don't want them to get away." - "Yes, Sire!"
    The messenger turns around and departs in a hurry, leaving behind the Basileus and his confidants.
    One of the older Hetairoi rises to speak. "These men are no Satrap's army. They are lead by the Klerouchikon Agema. Probably they just come all the way from Aigyptos, send by the Pharao to reinforce Aristippos Berenikeios."
    Antiochos grunts. "The better for us! It would certainly leave them exhausted and now they are running into our trap. What could we pray for more?"
    The Hetairos nods. "Perhaps their leaders don't know of Aristippos' death, yet. That could explain how confident they proceed, without any real reconnaissance. They may think we are a mere raiding party or even in retreat before Aristippos, who has cut off the way north."
    The Hetairos shrugs. "A lot of coulds and woulds in this, though. Let's hope we really are the ones that build the trap."
    The king laughs out loud and with a smirk faces the senior. "Trust me, I'm quite sure of that. That is why I bring my light horse with me."
    Antiochos' fingers move through the mane of his steed, an exaggerated contemplating look on his face. He mumbles: "I remember someone saying I had a reputation for this."
    His eyes move on to Perdikkas, the Hetairos, a serious look again. "Overestimating an enemy can be as dangerous as underestimating him. You know that, my friend."

The Taxiarchai have lined up the Phalanx according to their orders, as Antiochos II Theos again joins his army. He has chosen a solid position between two steep slopes.
    The ptolemaic Strategos is confident, as he obviously commands the larger army and can rely on his soldiers, especially the Klerouchikon Agema whose mounted detachment can almost be a match for the seleukid Hetairoi, while the pikemen represent the most professional Pezoi on the field.
    Mnaseas positions his men in a deep Phalanx.
    Two walls of spears face to face with each other. The tips of the pikes that are erected into the sky glare from the bright sunlight, below them the air is filled with dust that inevitably forms a layer on everything, intrudes into the men's mouths, constraining their ability to breath.
    Mnaseas is in a good mood, he senses a victory in the first battle he commands himself. He is riding at the head of the Agema Klerouchikon Hippeon at the left wing, opposing his enemy's heavy cavalry.
    Mnaseas does not know, who is in command of the host across the battlefield, nor of the high class of the Hetairoi he is facing, the most experienced and skilled heavy cavalrymen the Arche Seleukeia can field. And he does not know that is enemy is most comfortable with the situation, waiting, but not for certain defeat, playing for time.

Strategos Mnaseas gives the command to advance. The Auletai play their flutes, giving the tact, the Phalangitai march in lockstep towards their enemy.
    Now, there is no turning back. The young lagid commander drives his horse forward, towards the seleukid Somatophylakes. His opponent, however, grants himself a smile and a short moment of thought, as he sees the Agema speeding their horses. One moment, before Antiochos' seasoned companions rush forward with one mind, a fist of steel, striking to crush whoever dares to stand against them.

Seconds later, Mnaseas is dead, his trusted Agema is fighting an uphill battle.
    The Phalangitai are locked, the advantage on the side of the more numerous and thus broader ptolemaic Phalanx, which faces only lightly armored men. But at a moment's notice Nike seems to switch sides, as the trap strikes.
    Behind the immobile ptolemaic Phalanx another army shows up: A line of seleukid Pezhetairoi and among them the Argyraspides - Silver shields. On their flanks Galatoi, armed with shield and shortsword, rush forward, lusting to shed blood.
    The fighting becomes intense, the professional ptolemaic soldiers won't give up lightly, yet none can anymore doubt the outcome of battle. When the sun gets ready to dive into her wet resting place the last ptolemaic units disperse, flee into the rough hills, where a chase is futile and Basileus Antiochos has added yet another victory and proven himself a man of action rather than word.

Some weeks later Antiochos II Theos took position near Hierosolyma, the residence of Komon Kitiou Kypriakou, the governor of Iudaia.
    After the battle against Strategos Mnaseas Antiochos believed his army to be too weakened to face Kypriakou, so he turned to the coast again. There the king hired mercenaries, hoplites of greek and kelto-hellenic descent. With these men he felt to have the numbers not to be overwhelmed and still the quality to make the difference in his favor.
    The gathering of armed men heralds a decisive battle.

The seleukid army is outnumbered four to three, but Antiochos is at ease. The sound of battle has become his music, the slaughter of men his daily work. The soldiers know tales of his bravery and defiance of death and it is true: He does not fear, as he believes. He believes in his own strength, in the watch of the gods, of Seleukos and Apollon, his ancestors.
    And he believes in the strength of the horse, of sword and spear, when moved in the right place and the right time. To know this place and time has become his trade.
    His soldiers know this and they trust his judgment. When the king orders them to hold their ground, they will, because they believe in him: The common men call their king Theos - the God - and they strongly believe in it.
    Regardless of the enemy's numbers, of the losses and the despaired onslaughts that Komon Kitiou commands, none of Antiochos' soldiers leaves his place and his army never is in danger of defeat.
    Instead, they perpetrate a bloodbath among the ptolemaic garrison. Komon Kitiou follows the example of those who have dared to fight Antiochos before and ends his live on the slope where the seleukid phalanx holds its ground among his noble companions, slaughtered like cattle, leaving the gates of Hierosolyma unprotected and the city to grab as a ripe fruit, seductively bowing down from its tree.

So Hierosolyma falls and with it the holy temple of the Jews. Ptolemaios has lost almost all his troops in Iudaia and he has to agree to a truce, giving up all left possessions in Asia.

Read my AARs:

Chapter 16: Philosophizing

The Tigris is sluggishly streaming south. As sluggishly lies the city, waiting for the lulling midday heat to pass. Most prevalent is greek architecture in the far stretching settlement, but its inhabitants are a mix of many peoples from the vicinity and from far away: Beside the makedonian upper class you find Babylonians, Iranians, Syrians, Armenians and Jews.
    It is among the greatest cities in the world, housing more residents than Athinai, Roma or Karchedon, more even than Alexandreia. It is second to none, Metropolis of the empire.
    Seleukeia, the city where Sarpedon, the king's brother, resides in a palace, large as a city of its own.

A man strides through the long and wide corridors. His long dark hair falls in smooth waves, only a hint of silver at his temples and in his well trimmed beard. His appealing face is dominated by dark brown eyes. Subtle wrinkles around them betray a certain waggishness.
    His prime is near an end, but he has tasted from the fruit of life and certainly knows the art of otiosity.
    Soon he reaches the spacious accommodation of the co-regent, where Sarpedon awaits him.
    "Ah, i am pleased to see you had time for a visit, today." - "Oh, yes. Rest assured, i am equally pleased."
    Sarpedon lays an arm around his guest's shoulder and leads him to his marmoreal desk. "You see, Ikadion, after we signed that favorable treaty with the Hellenes - which has been one of the rare occasions that saw my brother blessed with a good idea, this is for sure - anyway, after we signed this treaty I saw the chance to take up correspondence with Hermarchos of Mytilene, who - as you most certainly know - now is the highly praised patron of the garden of Epikouros."
    While his host proceeded with his sermon, Ikadion Anthemusias Babyloniakes, the appointed regent of the city of Babylon, freed himself of the embracement and walked over to the patio.
    The voice is getting quieter, as Ikadion leaves the room and steps between the palm trees beyond the archway. He is fumbling with some papers, that he stored in his garments, while Sarpedon catches up.
    "... so I decided to write him a letter to articulate my deepest admiration for his achievements and that of the late Epikouros and to express my interest in a discussion about his approach especially to Aristoteles and to the Stoa - as you are certainly aware I have made some considerations based on Epikouros' work - and luckily i received his answer from Athinai recently, in which he..."
    Antiochos Soter's youngest son stops his speech.
    "What are you doing? Are you even listening to me?"
    A smirk plays about Ikadions mouth. "Of course I'm listening, dear. You didn't know, I'm working on an epic to praise your brother's deeds, did you?"
    Sarpedon knits his brows. "Do you. I ... You know, I didn't really like your last work."
    "Hmhm? Could have done it better, hurr?" Ikadion makes a heavily concentrated face, while theatrically skimming through his papers.
    "Oh, oh, yes, I could have. Ask around the court. They all like what I'm writing."
    "Well, that may be because they fear to get hung. Not that it would happen often, as they all are prolific yeasayers, but the imagination is in a way ... intriguing. Maybe I'd rather write about the secret tyrant than the glorious vanquisher. Hm."
    Ikadion puts a finger on his chin and observes Sarpedon with a searching gaze. "You are quite a special breed of brothers, you know - but of course, not to forget your sisters. They have some extraordinary qualities, too. Perhaps a heritage from your also most extraordinary mother."
    The Basileus' brother sighs deeply. "Sometimes you are just so disgusting beyond all bearing, Ikadion, I really don't know why I'm still inviting you into my chambers."
    The accosted laughs out loud and steps closer. He lays his hands on Sarpedon's shoulders and mumbles in his ear, a broad grin on his face.
    "From what I know of you, my dear, we are certainly playing in one league of disgust, but - admittedly - in a very cultured way, and you wouldn't want a lesser man to reveal the truths of life to you, would you?"
    Last edited by Lysimachos; October 24, 2008 at 09:30 AM.

Read my AARs:

Chapter 17: A Newborn Child

A newborn child in all its innocence and fragile vulnerability can remind a man of many things. It is at the very beginning of its life that is threatened to be ended, from the first day on.
    Antiochos has spend most of his years with ending the lives of other men, yet the eyes of a little girl in his arms still reveal the desire that is buried deep in his heart to renew, to create. Her name is Artemesia, she is Antiochos' granddaughter, the child of Kleopatra.

It is the seventh year of Antiochos Theos' reign, the seventh year after his father's death and much has happened in the past years. Three years ago the Second Syrian War ended in a sea of blood in front of the gates of Hierosolyma and the following seasons Antiochos spend in campaigns along the borders of the desert, fighting against people who didn't recognize the Basileus' rule, taking their strongholds of Palmyra and Bostra.

A king has not much time for his family and Antiochos was camping outside of Bostra when Kleopatra, his eldest daughter, was betrothed to Timarchos, a young promising officer from a hellenic Polis in Karia, while in those very days far to the west his brother-in-law, Magas Kyrenaios, died a humiliating death from overeating.

The king returned to his capital just in time to see his grandchild born, a reminder of how time is passing and a reminder to start taking up things for which to be remembered, as long as there is time.

Read my AARs:

Chapter 18: Kleronomos Basileois

Today is his day. Every single one of them has come to see him, a mere boy - no! - a young man, now that he reached the sixteenth year of his life.
    He bears the name of Seleukos, his great grandfather, but they call him Kallinikos - the beautiful victor - although his beauty may be hidden under his early beard and a victory has yet to be seen.
    But that does not matter today. Who of them that have come to Antiocheia to witness his proclamation as Kleronomos Basileois could dare to doubt great deeds to be expected of him?

"I'm not impressed, to say the least." Sarpedon attests uncomfortably, brows knitted. Ikadion turns his head to the left. "Pardon? Not impressed by what exactly? The Academy as a whole?"
    The two of them had traveled to Antiocheia to attend the festivities on the occasion of Kallinikos' appointment, but they took the opportunity to visit the lately completed educational facilities of the city. Due to generous funding were only few years needed to establish a new center of learning and knowledge by compiling enormous libraries and luring renowned capacities into the city on the Orontes. A center that - to Sarpedon's dissatisfaction - may well prove itself equal to those at Alexandreia or Seleukeia.

"Nah, not the Academy." He exclaims. "That b-" The king's brother holds his breath, the hand in front of his mouth, as to keep the words inside. After a suspicious glance around, he mutters: "That boy! He won't get his mouth open if you put an iron between his teeth. He is just so... unimposing. Although..." In an unconscious movement raises Sarpedon's hand to his chin, feeling the hair in his face.
    "Although he has quite an impressive beard for that age." The two continue walking across the academy's main yard.
    "I tell you, Ikadion, no good will originate from that seed. Have you seen the younger one? I think he is kind of weird. On the other hand" - Sarpedon points behind to the two juveniles following in respectful distance - "look at my sons. What splendiferous young men. Well mannered and educated and adept at..."
    Ikadion interrupts his speech abruptly, watching the two boys attentively. "My dear, there is a thing you have to tell me."
    The addressee grunts to announce his disapproval about the unwelcome - yet not unfamiliar - disturbance of his speech. "What?"
    "You are sure they are your sons? I just mean, their eyes kind of remind me of... mine..."

Read my AARs:

May I offer my congratulations on your eighteenth chapter. It's lookin' good.
    See you at the competition.
    Son of PW

Quote Originally Posted by Theodotos I View Post
    May I offer my congratulations on your eighteenth chapter. It's lookin' good.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Theodotos I View Post
    See you at the competition.
    So you want it the hard way, huh? Take this:

Read my AARs:

Kylan271's Avatar Domesticus

I am sorry I did not see this before. It is extremely impressive,I commend you with rep. I am trying to do a Baktria AAR for TE Gold,but sadly my Greek and Persian knowledge is limited and I have stress from Wedding planning in just over a month to contend with. My lack of writing skill also hampers me. To express in writing my thoughts in an AAR,so others may enjoy,is something I yearn for. If I was only able to write as well as you do,I would be happy and proud of myself. ^_* . Your historiacl & cultural knowledge of the time is excellent,appreciated those points also,not just the story writing. I have problems working out how to load images,I am limited to attachments,which makes it difficult for me in my story writing.

Cheers!!!

Phillip..and oh I have to laugh my Character is "Philippos" in my AAR...lol and lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Kylan271 View Post
    I am sorry I did not see this before. It is extremely impressive,I commend you with rep. I am trying to do a Baktria AAR for TE Gold,but sadly my Greek and Persian knowledge is limited and I have stress from Wedding planning in just over a month to contend with. My lack of writing skill also hampers me. To express in writing my thoughts in an AAR,so others may enjoy,is something I yearn for. If I was only able to write as well as you do,I would be happy and proud of myself. ^_* . Your historiacl & cultural knowledge of the time is excellent,appreciated those points also,not just the story writing. I have problems working out how to load images,I am limited to attachments,which makes it difficult for me in my story writing.

Cheers!!!

Phillip..and oh I have to laugh my Character is "Philippos" in my AAR...lol and lol.
    Thank you very much for your kind words!
    First of all, I'm growing with the challenge. I didn't knew much about the historical background before I started writing, but then I began researching, read in books, spend hours searching on the internet. The same goes for the use of greek words: I've never learned Greek and I'm just using things that I found somewhere. One nice site on military terminology can be found here: http://members.tripod.com/~S_van_Dorst/Ancient_Warfare/Greece/greek_glossary.html (I have it bookmarked). The textwork in Europa Barbarorum also is a great source
    Don't bother yourself too much. AAR-readers are usually very well-tempered and helpful.
    It may help to go through a text several times with some time in between, so you might get new ideas how best to put the words and what better not to write etc..

Posting images is not hard at all (or I wouldn't succeed in it). I think you know how to take them, right? Go to for example http://imageshack.us/ and chose the picture to upload. Then you will be able to link to the picture with the URL imageshack provides.
    I personally prefer to delete the [URL.][/URL.] parts and use a direct link instead of a clickable thumbnail. If you still have any problems, feel free to ask.

Oh, the wedding-thing nearly escaped my attention! If it's yours, congratulations
    Last edited by Lysimachos; October 28, 2008 at 06:48 AM.

Read my AARs:

Kylan271's Avatar Domesticus

Yeah its mine..stress mode,better left chained to a tree with Amazons and leather whips hah. I just found how to use my photobucket and the URL I did not understand..
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

As for me here I am with the Boss and family
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I see you are successfully using pictures.
    Now that is one beautiful bride! Lucky you!
    I'll have a look on your AAR later. You might consider putting a link in your Signature, so it will be easier to find.

Read my AARs:

Chapter 19: To New Shores

The wings of the Alep-gate open with loud noise. They give way for an iron snake, meandering through the city's streets. Thousands upon thousands stream out the gate. At the snake's head the Basileus rides, amongst his Hetairoi. At his side a young boy, at a tender age of eleven years, proudly riding his own horse.
    Antiochos leaves most of his family behind and he doesn't know how many years may pass until he meets them again: his wife Laodike, his firstborn Seleukos Kallinikos and his daughters Pamphile and Kleopatra with her husband Timarchos, who brought this summer's victor's laurel from Olympia.
    Only the young Euphorion accompanies his father on a voyage with uncertain end. Antiochos Theos is going to take his rightful place amongst the heroes of the Hellenes, while the previous generation of the Epigonoi is slowly fading away: Almost a decade ago his father died in the battle of the Kephisos, this autumn Antiochos Soter's old ally Antigonos Gonatas joined him in the realms of the dead and Ptolemaios Philadelphos is suffering from grave illness, but with an iron will clinging to life.

Makedonia, her allies and enemies at the death of Antigonos:

Chionis puts his hands on the ship's guardrail. His view wanders across foredeck and port basin, towards the open sea. The setting sun's beams reflect from the easefully floating waves. The last night before their voyage is coming.
    Chionis had never before met the Basileus, but as Nauarchos of the fleet he had the honor to dine with Antiochos. At first, Chionis was impressed by the pure authority that was emanated by the king's presence, but the later the evening grew, the more Antiochos fell victim to the abundant quantum of wine that ran down his throat, until he was hardly articulate.
    The admiral felt pity for the young prince, who often must have seen his father losing control of himself, but Chionis knew, it was not his place to question his Basileus. His task was a secure crossing and all beyond lies in the king's hands.

The air is dry and hot. In the north the Persikos Kolpos shines blue, sun rays and foam dancing on the waves' tips. The fleet has again left the shore not to permit an enemy to catch it defenselessly cowered to the beach.
    The royal army is widespread, closing around the settlement that is situated over the beach. Humble sheds with a crude palisade, but nonetheless an important place in the region, due to sources of fresh water and a natural harbour.
    The town's name is Gerrha. A local tribe's leader has gathered the folk of the surrounding area, shepherds, sailors, pirates and traders. It remains a mystery what makes him think he could resist the seleucids' iron fist.

Read my AARs:

Chapter 20: Naumachia

The ships are cutting through the waves, following the coastline eastwards but with enough distance to allow maneuvering in all directions.

After the short fight for Gerrha, the inhabitants of the town soon came to terms with their new lord. Among them the leading merchants saw the opportunities that open harbors along the iranian coast could offer and agreed with Antiochos to work for mutual benefit.
    With the merchants on the conqueror's side the tribal elders had to repress their zeal of independence, and they were soon appeased when it became clear that the seleucid king was not willing to install a rigorously bound regime.
    This enabled the Basileus to continue his campaign after a short sojourn and the army again boarded the fleet.

A loud call disrupts the dozy silence and reproduces itself through many mouths. "Sails ahead! Sails ahead!"
    Nauarchos Chionis rushes to his flagship's lookout to get an idea of the approaching ships. In the distance the oncoming sails stand out against the clear sky. A forest of masts is spread over the waves, dozens of dozens of slender and swift vessels.
    As Chionis hurries back to the bridge of his Trieres Antiochos Theos awaits him, showing a composed smile, his left hand on young Euphorion's shoulder.
    "Nauarchos! A new experience for me, watching a battle that is not mine to command. This is your profession, my life is in your hands, so do your very best."
    "Sire, you can entrust me with your life. Me too have a reputation and more to lose."
    With a nod Chionis turns to commence his orders which are communicated by shouts and colored flags that are panned in direction of the other ships.

The Arabians' fleet numbers more than one hundred ships against Chionis' forty. None of them can compare with the Triereis' strength, but they are very maneuverable.
    To counter the enemy's numbers the fleet forms a close formation. The Pentekonteroi secure the gaps between the Triereis, which provide the fire power, while the small Kerkuroi form a screen in the back of the larger ships.
    With constant speed the ships approach. An uncomfortable tension rules the minutes before the clash. The men wait silent for the intimidating mass of vessels to draw nearer.

The Triereis are entitled to make the opening move. Their torsion guns start to shoot as soon as the first adversaries get into their range. At long distance the fast pirate ships are not hit often, but strikes prove devastating against the light hulls and the dry wood quickly catches fire from burning projectiles.
    Various ships are hit critically, but their numbers are to great to impede the arabian fleet as a whole.

Only short time after the archers start shooting at oncoming boats, the first pirates reach the line of Chionis' ships and in groups they attack the Pentekonteroi like a pack of predators a larger prey.
    The outer wings swing around the seleucid fleet where a deadly dance with the Kerkuroi begins.

After little time the vessels have lost their dynamics and the battle becomes static. The hulls of the ships are wedged together, a huge field of wood floating on the sea - the battle has turned into a clutter of melee fights.
    Fires are scattered over the scene, clouds of smoke obscuring the view.

Hours pass before the disorder starts to resolve and a result of the encounter seems to emerge.
    After the smoke fades away and the clew of ships breaks apart it becomes obvious that the Arabians had no means to deal with the Triereis, which are rowed around the area of the battle and take out one enemy after the other.
    Soon the clutter finally dissolves and Chionis and his king are left behind with the aftermath.

The Naumachia has been won and the enemy thrown back, but many ships are lost and not a single Pentekontoros is left.

"Basileus. We have won this day, but will not be able to withstand another attack. I don't know if the pirates have another fleet out there but I'd rather not risk it. We haven't lost a Trieres, but some are in bad shape and without protection of a sufficient amount of smaller ships another encounter might be devastating," explains Chionis.
    "I see." Antiochos nods. "Luckily the army is mostly aboard the Triereis. We are not very far from Homna now. This is what we will do: Continue following the coast until we reach the territory of the Maka. There the army will leave the fleet. Sail back to Charax, repair the ships and return with resupplies. I will await the fleet next autumn at the port of Homna."
    "This sounds like a wise decision. We will proceed exactly as you said, Basileus."

Read my AARs:

Chapter 21: Prospects

Kallinikos steps out into the palace's inner yard and leaves behind Agathe, his wife, and Nikomachos, his firstborn son and presumably future heir.
    The past years that he spend at the flourishing Akademia in Antiocheia had done much to shape the man he has become. He still is rather withdrawn and seldom brings himself to approach other men, especially those of higher age and gained their status with deeds, but he has learned to use his intellect and his voice if the necessity arises.
    Nonetheless, he makes the court doubt if the alikeness to his father exceeds the facial appearance.

Late afternoon's sun warms Kallinikos' face, who stopped in the quiet yard to relish a welcomed moment of repose, as his brother-in-law's voice disrupts the silence.
    "Your highness, we have to talk."
    Timarchos watches Kallinikos, face raised to the sky, the eyes closed and seemingly with effort ignoring his presence, and decides to test his patience for once.
    Timarchos descends from old hellenic nobility of the city of Mylasa in Karia, a heritage that comes with pride and a secure awareness of superiority over all sorts of upstarts and people who only recently discovered the greatness of greek language and culture.
    However, a marriage into royalty was not below his standards, despite the share of persian blood in his bride's veins.

With a disappointed sigh Kallinikos finally gives up and turns his attention to Timarchos. "What ails you, my brother?"
    "I have been told you are ready to leave the academy now. Your father left instructions for this day. He wishes his son to be acquainted with the provinces of his future realm with his own senses. I took the liberty to commence preparations for your journey to Ipsos. Satrapes Appolonides Damaskenos awaits your arrival and will see to everything you need."
    Another deep sigh escapes the prince's breast. "He has written down my destiny and left its execution to you, hm?"
    "Maybe you'll even have time to pay my parents a visits, they'd surely be honored."

Of course there is no benefit to blame the messenger, Kallinikos knows. Timarchos himself has been left with a great burden by the king: A young man, not much older than himself, in charge of one of the greatest cities in the empire, including the ambitious project to establish an important center of sciences and learning.
    It has to be admitted that Timarchos has shown a prosperous talent for organising and under his hands the Akademia has arrived at a stage where it is without equal in size of its premises, amount of funds and number of renowned teachers.
    Timarchos certainly grew with his challenge, but would he himself be able to do the same with his burden, the burden of the Kleronomos Basileois, the future king?
    The footsteps that he was to follow are large and the fear of not being able to fill them, just as well.

Read my AARs:

Kallum's Avatar I win, you lose!
    Somewhere behind a desk, following the world from behind the save glowing screen that is my desktop

I really like your writing style keep it up it
    Carl von Dobeln's son
    How it all began
    Author of the Basileia ton Romaion Series book 1, 2, 3
    The work has been done, the trilogy is completed or has it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kallum View Post
    I really like your writing style keep it up it
    Thanks, I'm going to do so

Read my AARs:

Chapter 22: Revelations

The white sand stretches as far as the eye can see, the waves softly roll over the beach again and again. In the shallow water a boy is wading. He is wearing only a short-sleeved Chiton which is reaching nearly to his knees and girded at the waist. The boy's keen eyes are focused on the open sea, whilst he holds his step.
    "Have you found something?" the tall man standing some dozen meters up the beach shouts.
    Euphorion turns his head to his bodyguard. "Aischylos, a ship's coming!"

Antiochos slowly follows the path down to the port, where a single Trieres has anchored. A familiar face awaits him.
    "Nauarchos Chionis, I welcome you. Tell me, where is my fleet?" Sailors and soldiers alike watch the king in uncomfortable idleness, while the planks of the wooden runway creak under his boots.
    Chionis, feeling the relentless inquiring gaze resting on him, answers with a perceptibly nervous and unsecure voice.
    "My Basileus, you... I mean, I fully regret to disappoint your... your rightful expectancy..." He pauses, desperately searching for the right words - if there even are such. "I regret to disappoint your expectancy of a fleet coming with me, but I have to admit there is none."
    The last words seem to remain floating in the air, oppressing the men around the king with their weight, making them almost observably shrink in the futile attempt to become invisible, in the anticipation of most unwelcome consequences of any drawn attention.
    The king is breathing heavily and closes his eyes. The officers around him and Chionis carefully step back, awaiting the certain outbreak of fury and the prevalent thought regarding the range of the expected outburst is the question whether or not - or rather to which degree - the king yet is drunk.
    Antiochos exhales deeply and opens his eyes, which are still directed at Chionis, who feels the unpleasant dankness of his sweat-soaked clothes and the tension of the moment laying heavily on his breast and shoulders.
    The Basileus speaks with a restrained and gentle voice. "Will you accompany me on a short walk, Admiral?"

The two men are striding slowly and silently along the beach, where short time before Euphorion spotted the ship.
    "So, will you tell me why you brought only one ship?"
    Chionis, who has recovered his countenance in the long silence that has past in the time since he followed his king from the runway, responds, carefully arranging his words.
    "After we left the army I commandeered the fleet directly to Charax, to complete necessary maintenance in due time, corresponding to your orders." Chionis takes another break, as he well knows the hardest part is to follow now. He breathes deeply and the next sentence springs from his mouth in a fast pace.
    "However, your brother prohibited the fleet to set sail, so I had to leave the harbor secretly in the night and was in no way able to bring more ships."
    Antiochos turns to the sea, walking down the beach until the water washes around his feet. His eyes look into the far distance, not watching anything particular, because the mind is too occupied to notice the beauty of the calmly dancing waves.
    Chionis respectfully follows some steps behind, waiting.

After some uneventful time Antiochos awakes from his apathy.
    "So it is true." The Nauarchos suddenly becomes very alert and after a moment he dares to speak himself. "Sire, you did know this was going to happen?"
    The king sighs. "I will tell you something. The day when I was proclaimed Basileus, a man came to talk to me. He was a Somatophylax of my father and he claimed to have been with him in the moment of his death. He said, my father's last wish was to let me know of the Pythia's prophecy.
    He told me that when my father attended the Oracle in Delphi, he asked if his line would succeed in fulfilling the legacy of Megas Alexandros. The Oracle's answer - as was to be expected - was not clear in itself."
    Antiochos pauses, while his Admiral is watching attentively.
    "My father was told, in order to prevail, his blood would have to overcome itself."

The king's officers are still waiting at the port, when their master returns with fast steps and a mask of his known adamantine determination on his face.
    "We've got work to do!" he shouts. "Get me every ship and every boat in this godforsaken land! I want every raft and every piece of wood large enough to support a man! Is this clear, you lazy lot?"

Read my AARs: