Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: [EB AAR] The Legacy of Megas Alexandros

Default Re: The Legacy of Megas Alexandros - an EB seleucid AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Hesus de bodemloze View Post
    you are still doing a great job on your aar. maybe it is time to make a signature that is linkt to your AAR.
    I have a link to the AAR in my sig :hmmm:

Read my AARs:
    The Legacy of Megas Alexandros (Europa Barbarorum as Arche Seleukeia)
    The Prodigal Son (Shogun 2 as Mori)
    You like a good reading? Then check out the homepage of our fellow TWC-member Theodotos I at www.stephenwrites.com!

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

hmmm try putting in more pictures people want to see the action when thy are reading it. maybe this will help.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

hmmm try putting in more pictures people want to see the action when thy are reading it. maybe this will help.
    Ah, well, I'll give it another try, next chapter up in short time. I can't promise more pics right now, though.

Chapter 12: Like Thieves in the Night

Night falls quickly over the plain. Many officers are dead or wounded and the army, although victorious, is dissolving, leaderless as it is.
    Those who are bold and reckless enough wander the field of battle, looting the dead for a cheap fortune, while the crows start their feast.
    Philippos and the other remaining Somatophylakes - not a handful anymore - left their adorned armor and have disguised themselves with simple cloaks, not to draw interest. They are carrying the royal body, protecting it from ghouls and scavengers and from the grasp of an unsuspected enemy.
    Avoiding the living they sneak over the field of dead. Among the wretches the honorable seem like thieves in the night, eager to secure their haul.

Off from the battlefield the small party captures riderless horses and heads north, to Boiotia.
    Near Eleutherai a larger contingent has erected a camp, hoping to gather the scattered remains of the army, but the Hetairoi don't stop, don't even reveal themselves to the soldiers.
    There is no time to be lost, to great the risk that the Athenians will be able to use their reservoir of men for a new force, once they learn how great the toll on the side of their enemies has been. Certainly, Chremonides has been an important figure among the Athinaioi of these days, but the loss of a single man does not mean much to them.
    Philippos is sure of one thing: Without the Basileus, the motivator and as confident as experienced commander, this campaign is doomed, so he and his comrades chose to save as much as they can: The King mustn't fall in the enemy's hands.

The small group is galloping through the dark, north through Boiotia and from Thebai to the east.
    The night has passed, the horses are shaking from exhaustion, but the men have reached the Euripos, the strait that separates the island Euboia from the mainland. At its narrowest point is a wooden bridge and across lies the fortress of Chalkis, a heavily fortified antigonid garrison.
    Safety, at least for now.

A fishing boat, a small vessel not prone to provoke attention, is meant to bring Antiochos over the aegean, his body conserved with vinegar. The king shall have a worthy valediction on his own soil, before beginning his very last crossing on board of Charon's ferry.
    Last edited by Lysimachos; September 27, 2008 at 03:16 AM.

Read my AARs:
    You like a good reading? Then check out the homepage of our fellow TWC-member Theodotos I at www.stephenwrites.com!

and an other great chaptor.

ow yeah a tip for you :

if you are planning to publish some battle pictures, replay the battles in a custom game and use the movie_cam to take screenshots. this way you can make the pictures more of a spectacle.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

and an other great chaptor.

ow yeah a tip for you :

if you are planning to publish some battle pictures, replay the battles in a custom game and use the movie_cam to take screenshots. this way you can make the pictures more of a spectacle.
    As I stated in the first post I'm running RTW on a low end machine, especially in the graphics department. So, as long as this doesn't change really spectacular pictures won't be possible

Btw: After you talked me into continuing, may i ask if you are going to overcome your writer's block?

Read my AARs:

Chapter 13: A new Agenda

The man gently slides the curtain away, only a small way, just enough to peek down into the hall. Down there the celebrations continue, celebrations in his honor. Music is playing and the people are drinking and feasting from his larder.
    The old king has been honored and now it is the new king's turn. He received the blessings of Apollon and Seleukos and the obeisance of the nobles. From now he shall be known as Antiochos II, granted the sobriquet Theos from the Margianians for his victory over the Parnoi and Sakai, a feat certainly only possible to someone of divine personality.
    Although he himself is often and with pleasure sacrificing at the shrine of Dionysos, Antiochos II is not in the mood to relish his daily serving of wine, at least not yet.
    Instead he called together the most significant men from the seleucid realm to discuss, or rather announce, some matters of importance; a decision that certainly strikes some of them, who are familiar with Antiochos' habits, with surprise.
    With a sigh he let go of the curtain and turns around to his audience. His gaze went from one face to the other, discovering eager anticipation in some of them, unconcerned annoyance in others, and also skepticism and scarcely concealed expectancy of decay.
    Antiochos' eyes meet those of Sarpedon, the youngest of his father's legitimate sons. Sarpedon's expression gives nothing away from his intentions and thoughts, the secretive mask of a schemer.
    Their eyes stay locked, like a strife to determine whose perseverance prevails. Antiochos takes the time to renew his memory of the younger brother, whom he has not seen for a long time, since he was send to defend the east, while Sarpedon remained in Seleukeia.
    Two years younger than Antiochos he still has a very gentle face, almost feminine, but he grows a full beard, perhaps to conceal this caprice of nature. Still, the tenderness of his guise seems to fit in his personality. Antiochos remembers, Sarpedon has always been the weak, the soft, yet cunning of both. And it has always been these two, as Seleukos, their oldest brother, who had been executed for treason, was way older than them.
    In their separation their differences have increased, due to the different paths fate - in disguise of their father - had in mind for them.
    Theodoros, as he was commonly called in the days before their father's dead, was baptized by fire, thrown into an ambience of violence and violence became his self.
    The ceiling of his palace was the sky and the dust of the steppe was carpet on which he walked.
    The vast regions in the east made it necessary to develop a sense for an enemy's movements, so he became a skilled scout. The constant danger forges a mutual obligation between commander and subordinates and a habit evolved to use the strong language common among his soldiers.
    The many battles made him a fighter who bears his scars as a proud veteran and a seasoned commander, who has become famous victor and is feared by his enemies for his bravery and respected among those with military insight, as he is a gifted leader and a great tactician.
    His brother on the other hand, spend the past years in Seleukeia, the new metropolis of the east, as a regent in all but name, while father and brother went to the most remote regions of the Arche.
    Sarpedon's daily work in these years involved negotiations and meaningless but sophisticated conversations with important citizens and delegates from foreign and exotic countries, so he developed to be a smooth talker and skilled debater. As an interlocutor of high format he also possesses some proficiency as philosopher and poet.
    Ruling of a great city as Seleukeia involves a lot of planning, so the practice made Sarpedon a skilled bureaucrat and supervising a number of ambitious construction projects made him a superior builder and great architect.
    In order to increase the greatness and importance of the city he knows few limits and he has already imported a number of exotic plants to add to the exclusiveness of the metropolis.
    On the other hand is he increasingly enjoying the life in luxury and among the leading families of Seleukeia he is known as a mildly extravagant gourmet of life.
    Antiochos shows a smile which Sarpedon answers, the uncomfortable tension of the moment is broken.
    The king steps forward in the middle of the gathered nobles and begins to speak, in the determined voice of a Strategos who is used to decide the fate of thousands in mere blink of an eye, not tolerating any dissent.
    "I have summoned all of you, because i am willing to clarify how some matters are being addressed, now that we have brought my beloved father to his well deserved rest."
    The king starts walking in circle his eyes jumping from one to the other.
    "First of all, has our former Basileus neglected to take effective measures concerning the insolence of Ptolemaios. Once again he has proven himself a liar and a cheat, once again he reaches out for Koile Syria. This has to be changed. I take it as my first responsibility to teach Ptolemaios a lesson, push his underlings out of Asia and thus secure the borders of Syria once and for all."
    Antiochos takes a deep breath.
    "Second. My father's expedition to Hellas was honorable and, in the hindsight, might even have rescued Antigonos' throne, but it was inviting attack on the empire's heartlands and jeopardizing its integrity, with nothing to gain.
    The Koinon Hellenon poses no threat and we have honored our alliance with Antigonos by sacrificing an army and a king. I want you - " His finger points on Keraias Pergamou Mysiakes, the Ambassador in Pella - "to confer with the Koinon's new leaders and negotiate a ceasefire."
    Antiochos stops in front of another nobleman in his late twenties, Apollonides Damaskenos, currently entrusted with the Satrapy of Phrygia. "You, Apollonides, will be responsible for the military safety of the Satrapies of Lydia, Phrygia, Pisidia and Kappadokia as well as the Ethne of Galatia. This is a strictly defensive mandate. The cities of Halikarnassos, Pergamon and Herakleia as well as the kingdom of Pontos all can muster respectable armies and will not hesitate to use any game of hazard to their advantage. I do not want this region at a risk!"
    The Basileus continues his circling.
    "One of our greatest assets is the position from which we can control every transition from the east to the west and the other way round. We have to take full advantage of this position. To do so, our trade routes from Babylonia to India, which are disrupted by arabian pirates have to be protected. As soon as our issues with the Lagids are settled, i will see to send an expedition which is to secure the southern coast of the Persikos Kolpos."
    Antiochos pauses again, thinking.
    "Ah, one other thing. In our struggle with Ptolemaios it is of utmost importance to present a counterbalance to Alexandreia as a cultural center at the Mediterranean. Thus it is of special concern to expand Antiocheia as a center of learning, that is able to lure the wise men from all over the world."
    His gaze falls onto the person momentarily in charge of the mentioned city and doubts arise, if this may be the ideal man for this task. Oh, Sosiphanes Beroias Syriakes is an outstanding personality, beyond question, a man with spartan discipline and above suspicion of any falsehood in his words and ways, a man with untainted loyalty, who bears the title of Olympionikes, but Antiochos believes that someone more... sophisticated... should possibly be preferred in his position.
    The king clears his throat and straightens himself.
    "So, if there is no question now, i will go and attend my festivities." A glance around over his silent auditory convinces him of the necessity for a thinking pause.
    "As i thought."

Read my AARs:

well for the moment i am working on a new AAR for m2tw the stainless steel mod. but the problem is becous my lack of english it realy hard to continue writing on the old and new AAR. but i try to stay working on them.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator

well for the moment i am working on a new AAR for m2tw the stainless steel mod. but the problem is becous my lack of english it realy hard to continue writing on the old and new AAR. but i try to stay working on them.
    Don't let that stop you. Training is the only way to get better.

Very well then, another update comes soon.
    Last edited by Lysimachos; September 29, 2008 at 12:12 PM.

Read my AARs:

Intermission: State and Empire

When Antiochos I Soter died in the seventeenth year of his reign, the realm was left behind in a difficult, yet not unstable situation.
    His rule has seen unlucky and wise decisions. Although the struggle with Ptolemaios II Philadelphos has not been decided yet, Antiochos has managed to weaken his main Antagonist by wringing the southern coast of Mikra Asia from his hands and defending Koile Syria from any hostile attempts. Also has Magas Kyrenaios with his father in law's help managed to prevail against the ptolemaic power, still being a valuable ally and a threat to the western flank of Egypt.
    In the northwest the situation is indecisive. Antiochos I had to abandon the claim on Thrace and others of Lysimachos' former possessions and he didn't manage to retain or restore authority over the rising hellenic cities in Asia Mikra, as Pergamon, Herakleia and Halikarnassos. On the other hand has he twice defeated the Galatians and the Seleukidai remain to be a major power on the peninsula.
    The eastern part of the Arche had little attention from the king and the transoxanian provinces of Sogdiane and the valley of Fergana had to be abandoned, but under leadership of his brother Achaios and later his heir a measure of stability has been retained.
    After all, it seems if the late Basileus failed to pursue a certain goal in his decisions. A sign for this poses Antiochos' I intervention in Hellas, which lead to his death. Some say that the failure of this campaign is caused by a lack of preparation and a goal that was to be achieved.

The Arche Seleukeia is set on two pillars, which are the seleukid state and the seleukid empire. The state is private property of the king and subject to a strict centralist bureaucracy, while the parts of the empire are formally autonomous and owe loyalty only to the Basileus ton Basileon himself. These can be Poleis which have been installed all over the seleukid realm, a Dynasteia with an own king such as Sophene or an Ethne that is formed by a certain people, as the Galatians.
    Because of the loose bond the loyalty of these entities largely depends on the personal authority of the Basileus. While several nominal subjects of the Arche have been alienated during the reign of Antiochos I, because he has not been able to let them feel the presence of their overlord in a sufficient way, and are now independent in all but name, none of them has yet dared to make this official - for now - as the new King, Antiochos II Theos, has made himself a reputation as a more than capable Strategos and a determined and ruthless leader.

Antiochos II is related - by blood or by marriage - to the most important Diadochoi dynasties:
    From his fathers side he is the grandson of Seleukos Nikator, who himself was the son of divine Apollon. From his mother Stratonike's side he descends from the Argeades dynasty, the kin of Megas Alexandros himself; the king of Makedonia Antigonos Gonatas being his uncle, Demetrios Poliorketes his grandfather and Antigonos Monophtalmos his great grandfather. Demetrios' wife Phila, Antiochos' II grandmother, was the daughter of Antipatros and sister to Kassandros and Eurydike, the third wife of Ptolemaios I Soter, who in turn was the father to the aging but still reigning Ptolemaios II Philadelphos and Arsinoe, the widow of Lysimachos, who later married her own brother.
    At last, his sister Apame is married to Magas, the king of the Kyrenaika, who is a halfbrother of Ptolemaios II.

The expectations among the nobles and educated towards Antiochos' II reign are only clear in one point: The one thing the new king is best at undoubtedly is leading his men into battle. No single enemy may hope to stand against the seleukid armies, but will the Basileus prove the critics wrong and show himself to be a politician, adept enough to avoid a fight against to many enemies, that would inevitably result in violent downfall?
    And what is behind the prophecy that Antiochos I received from the delphian Pythia and that he shared with his most appreciated Hetairos, in his last breath? Has Apollon's mouth only revealed the hour of his death or is there more than that?

Read my AARs:

i know training is the only way to get better but still my inspiration on how to use the words can be fare fetched. and i am not realy that good of a writer eather so.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator

i know training is the only way to get better but still my inspiration on how to use the words can be fare fetched. and i am not realy that good of a writer eather so.
    Well, use a dictionary and a thesaurus. They might help you to find the words that best express what you want to say and sometimes they can even give an inspiration. From time to time I include sentences just to use one special word that I've come to like.

Read my AARs:

hey you guys talking about language.
    Im English and we like invented the language.
    Iv read through both your AARs and your both
    ace at english i speack a bit of french but
    no way could i write as fluently as that!
    + rep!!!

Quote Originally Posted by codfarther View Post
    hey you guys talking about language.
    Im English and we like invented the language.
    Iv read through both your AARs and your both
    ace at english i speack a bit of french but
    no way could i write as fluently as that!
    + rep!!!
    Hehe, I think non-native speakers pay more attention to their use of language than native speakers, because it is not as subconscious.
    Anyway, thanks

I'm still in my time off, just wanted to have a look how things are going. Expect me back sometime in the second half of october

Read my AARs:

Default Re: [EB AAR] The Legacy of Megas Alexandros

This is very well written material. +rep
    Wish there would be some more pictures (if not screenshots, then some related pictures.)

molls's Avatar Campidoctor

congratz lysi for your success in the competition!

Darth Ravenous's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

It's awe inspiring.

Kallum's Avatar I win, you lose!
    Somewhere behind a desk, following the world from behind the save glowing screen that is my desktop

very nice!!!
    Carl von Dobeln's son
    How it all began
    Author of the Basileia ton Romaion Series book 1, 2, 3
    The work has been done, the trilogy is completed or has it?

Wow nice AAR....

Thanks for the comments and the votes in the competition! Expect a new chapter this week.

Read my AARs:

is there any pics in the update?