Thread: Galatia Infantry Problem

Default Galatia Infantry Problem

Hey all.
    I recently had problems with the 3.5 version of this mod in terms of the game not recognizing a specific texture. I attacked an army formerly of the Galatian faction, but it became a rebel when their last city was taken. When the battle started loading it quit saying that there was a generic error in which ExRM/data/RTR/models_unit/textures/aor_galatian_infantry.tga was not found. I understand this is a texture issue, so I went to descr_model_battle in the data folder to see if it was an incorrect code. The coding indicated that the texture pointed to in merc and scipii brutii were both the aor_galatia without the n. I could not find a "galatian" anywhere in the specified folder and the Galatia proper unit works, just not the aor which Im assuming is used for the merc texture line. The unit card features a peasant too, but I did not consider this to be a problem that would affect the texture. This problem has me stumped, is the descr_model_battle no longer used for the game to register? If so one should be able to delete the n and use the working texture that is in the folder correct? The texture problem will not allow the battle to load at all and ctd. If anyone can help with this problem please let me know. Thanks.

Quinn Inuit's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Galatia Infantry Problem

Welcome to the forum!

Which version are you running? 3.5.3b fixed a problem like this, but it might not have been this one.

You seem quite competent at dealing with the files. Rock on.

I ran into this problem a few months ago, and it had me just as stumped as you are now. Fortunately, I got some good advice. Here's what I think happened, and a solution:
    When the army went rebel, a bunch of faction units suddenly ended up being owned by the slave faction.
    There's no texture defined for such a situation, so the game looks to the default texture in the .cas file as a last resort. In this case, that's the non-existent file with the 'n.'
    When the game can't find that file, that's the one that it uses to generate the error message.

I'm pretty sure that, if you define a slave texture and sprite for the unit, you'll get by the error. And, since it's a DMB error, the fix will be save-game compatible.
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

My writing-related Twitter feed.

I created a texture file line for slave (like you said) and the problem was fixed. Thanks for the advice, I would have never figured that out.

Quinn Inuit's Avatar Artifex

No problem. That's a really obscure little bug--I think a lot of modders probably don't know about it.
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

My writing-related Twitter feed.