Thread: Fun things I learned from Aradan

Quinn Inuit's Avatar Artifex

Default Fun things I learned from Aradan

1) Schiltrom had to go. It only works properly in conjunction with short_pike, and short_pike & most barbs don't mix, IMO. Therefore, no more schiltrom. I apologize to everyone who loved that formation and all the warband units that had it.

(See more here: http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=88859 )

2) Apparently Sinhuet's formations contain a few errors of misinterpretation on his part. After an incredibly boring hour and a half spent macro-ing through all 20k lines of the AI formations file, I think those have been fixed. Ranged units should be more well-behaved now, generals should stop suiciding quite so determinedly, and other units should behave better in some situations.

(See more here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=188916 )

btw, I use Notepad++ for my text editing. Were I doing this in plain Notepad, I would be quite mad by now. As is, I'm just quite tired. 'Night, all.
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

My writing-related Twitter feed.

Default Re: Fun things I learned from Aradan

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn Inuit View Post
    1) Schiltrom had to go. It only works properly in conjunction with short_pike, and short_pike & most barbs don't mix, IMO. Therefore, no more schiltrom. I apologize to everyone who loved that formation and all the warband units that had it.

(See more here: http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=88859 )
    Interesting. I was coming more and more to the opinions that warbands shouldn't bother with schiltrom. I guess that explains why. I hope you gave warbands the warcry ability back.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn Inuit View Post
    2) Apparently Sinhuet's formations contain a few errors of misinterpretation on his part. After an incredibly boring hour and a half spent macro-ing through all 20k lines of the AI formations file, I think those have been fixed. Ranged units should be more well-behaved now, generals should stop suiciding quite so determinedly, and other units should behave better in some situations.

(See more here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=188916 )
    I look forward to it.

They actually never lost the warcry ability...schiltrom just overrode it. They should warcry with the best of 'em now.

It should be pretty cool. Generals may behave a bit strangely, but they should be vastly less suicidal. The problem is that the game wants them to be suicidal, but it also will now want them to skirmish. The combination of the two should make them behave more realistically, but they may sort of twitch from one mode to the other.
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

Wien1938's Avatar Miles

That should be useful. Warbands were dead meat for my Macedonians once the Hetairoi began riding over the battlefield (Schiltrom = death by pike). Utterly useless.
    Good, should make the battles 5% more interesting.

I always that that a unit in schiltrom formation looked cool, but I don't think I ever really used it in a battle. So if it has to go, then no big deal.

I'm glad no one will miss it.

btw, Caldarium just standardized the unit masses for us and lowered them slightly, which should make the differences more noticeable (differences in low numbers are much more important than high numbers). Pushing in combat should be more important now.