Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast

Thread: Medieval Total War - Redux (Beta)

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

Default Re: Medieval Total War - Redux 1.0b

Hi again Burny26,

For me, “hardcoded” means outright solid impossible, regardless of tools, talents and complexity. As in nobody can do or change anything about it, even if they wanted too. Besides it is as illegal as it gets, since you would have too somehow crack the EXE-file essentially. Big fat no-no then… Errr… This is really not the kind of topic that the TWC likes, if you get my drift here.

As for MTW-tools… Yeah, CA did release a few GFX-tools long, long time ago. I’ve used these tools (and few others), many, many times as I worked with redux. They are far from perfect but since there are no known alternatives – they will have to do. Maybe someday I’ll post ‘em all up somehow, but not today and not in this thread anyhow…

- Cheers

Hello again people,

It has been quite some time since Iv’e posted up some screens/samples around here so I thought I should do something about that. Thus, here are some screens I did a while ago (I posted them elsewhere, but never here, until now.) As far as I can tell, they triggered little response elsewhere, let’s see if the screens fare better here? Enjoy…

Ok, redux is designed so that each player can customize portraits that will appear within the game. I already made several replacements that each player can use in their reduxed game (with 2nd edition). Now my plan is to release some templates for various factions so enterprising people can fashion multiple knights for a specific faction (the one they are playing), let’s say France, as much as they like by using these templates. That’s one feature I had in mind with the new release, I know it will be very useful thing for me at least. If producing portraits of your on is not your thing, you can at least use these included templates as additional portraits with the others.

There will also be some 10-20 additional and new portraits included intended for the use as potential replacements of the default “generals” in the game. In total there is 57 slots for portraits but I don’t think I will make enough to cover all 57 slot since that is not really part of my plans, after all redux is not intended to work like that. You are supposed to customize your game! Anyhow, I also made a few replacements for the princesses as well since I wanted to replace a few of those.

Other than that I also made some potential default replacement general for Muslim, Pagan and Orthodox factions. Long time a go, a dude named William the Silent (wherever he is these days) wanted to have some of those in the game and tried to make ‘em on his own (it never flied, but obviously the interest was there regardless), I thought I might as well do standard-pic each for all non-catholic cultures as well (currently I plan for that to be strictly optional).

- Cheers
    Last edited by Axalon; March 05, 2010 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Correction...

Athenogoras's Avatar Campidoctor

They look truly evil and awesome Axalon!
    Boba Fett the Templar is also cool

I suppose every major project got to have a Star Wars-factor somewhere – I guess
    I covered that part then… Boba the Templar included, check….

Anything else people, fire away.

- Cheers
    Last edited by Axalon; June 01, 2010 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Better....

Libertus

Hi Axalon,

first of all I'd like to congratulate you on a seemingly wonderful mod you managed to pull off here!

The only trouble I have, is getting the campaign map to work due to the a (I think) 'popular' ctd after choosing a faction, right after the loading screen pops up. I encountered this problem with VI 2.0, 2.01, XL and now with Redux too.. When I read this mod was compatible with Vista ,among others, I was thrilled but alas, I've still had no luck.

Any thoughts on what I could try?

Cheers

Did you ever consider making it possible to select the old style rules/campaign with the new pics?

I can play the mod easy, but the real game crashes alot.

One thing about this game is a lot of people liked playing against the computer, and didn't really want to play against another person.

Hi there Imladrik,

Yes, it’s true that I labelled redux as Vista-compatible – I did so because some people reportedly were able to run raw MTW successfully on Vista. If they could do that, they also could run redux – anything that are able to run MTW successfully will be able to run redux. Thus redux is indeed Vista-compatible if those reports are accurate (whatever the specs). However, I have not tried that out or verified that myself since I don’t have Vista (or Win7) personally. Now, having said that – this is what I think on your matter here….

It is not actually a redux-related matter; it is a MTW-matter. Thus as such it really does not belong here in this thread – but – I will make an exception this once since I will have take some responsibility for the stated Vista-compatibility. Now, I have previously made some remarks (elsewhere) on the MTW Vista-problems and presented a viable solution to it as well (however it does involve cash). I quote….

Save yourself the grief and trouble and get an auxiliary PC! The solution involves some cash sure, but what the hell man. 2nd hand PC-stuff is not that expensive these days and it is a fool-proof solution as long as you get the right GFX-card and use win2K or XP 32bit as OS for the sake of drivers - you can't fail. 2K seems to be the best OS for MTW in my experience.

If you already got some old spare parts it is unlikely that it will cost you more then some 100 Euros in total, all inclusive (monitor, speakers, keyboard and mouse you already got. If not, then it is cheap to get some basic PS2-mouses etc. anyhow). Get decent gamewise and play some MTW! You know you want too. Why bother with Vista at all since it will obviously only screw things up for you anyhow? Nah, time to settle this once and for all…

The totally “MTW-foolproof” ATI-cards are as follows:

Model (Motherboard standards)
    -------------------------------------------------
    X850 series (AGP/PCI-E)
    X800 series (AGP/PCI-E)
    Radeon 9800 XT (AGP)
    Radeon 9800 Pro (AGP)
    Radeon 9700 Pro (AGP)

These are the ones you really want for your auxiliary-MTW rig. However, any ATI Radeon 128MB/256Bit card prior to the release of the X850-series are likely to be safe as well I would imagine. Now, why should you accept Vistas nonsense and CA’s neglect? Use old Catalyst drivers and play the game as it was meant to be played (3-5 sec loading-times). Personally I use Radeon 9800 Pro cards, Catalyst 3.7 drivers (anything between 3.0-3.8 will do for those) and win2K.

I actually have a stash of 4 Radeon 9800 cards - just to be ridiculously safe indefinitely. At least get 2 cards to be totally sure that you can play MTW for an extremely long time to come - regardless what CA does. This way you can ignore them back indefinitely – and is that not a nice change?

Seriously, isn’t it time to stop this all this nonsense with Vista and all MTW-fuss? Get a dedicated auxiliary rig and get rid of the problem once and for all – a 100 euros later (all included probably) and this fuss will be dust….

- Cheers
    -------------
    If you can’t build a rig on your own – then hire somebody who can and who needs some cash.

Having said that, I can not vouch for other cards then ones mentioned above, and I certainly can not vouch for any Nvidia-cards. I simply have no trustworthy info on that or enough personal experience with it (as is the case with the mentioned cards). The mentioned MTW-foolproof cards are just that; MTW-foolproof – they will work on win2k/XP 32bit drivers. As long as you stick to the stated parameters, you can not fail - that is my experience.

As for drivers, use catalyst drivers prior to Jan 2005 – as in catalyst 4.12 or below and you will probably be all good. Anything after that will not work as well on MTW – again this is my personal experience. The latest drivers are usually bad for MTW – don’t ask me why, that just how things turned out to be (longer loading times usually).

Hope this made you (and others) any wiser here.

- Cheers

Hi Michael,

Quote Originally Posted by michael60622 View Post
    Did you ever consider making it possible to select the old style rules/campaign with the new pics?
    Now why would I want to do anything like that?

As far as I am concerned the redux-designs are actually better then what we get in the original game – that might not be your opinion, but it sure is mine. Since I have such an opinion, it would be outright pointless for me to revert back to the old CA-designs. Everything in redux is either as good as or better then the original game-designs – had I not thought that I would have never bothered changing it, now would I? This is even truer on the version I am still working on (usually known as the 3rd edition). So, the short answer to that question would be a resounding no

I can play the mod easy, but the real game crashes alot.
    Errr... So? I mean (no offence intended but) how are issues with raw MTW my problem somehow? All I can say is; feel free to continue play redux then if you like and you will obviously get fewer crashes – as you pointed out yourself.

If the original game crashes a lot “without” redux it is not my problem, now is it? It is CA’s problem and it chiefly concerns people who might be interested in playing some non-reduxed MTW – I am neither category. Besides, this is a redux-thread, dedicated to exclusively deal with that and all things related to it/that somehow (all other stuff belongs elsewhere). Or did I simply misunderstood you here?

One thing about this game is a lot of people liked playing against the computer, and didn't really want to play against another person.
    Well this is true, I can’t argue with that. I have no clue as for why either. Anyhow, I actually did do some designs for specifically MP-games as well. Redux (apart from some of the other mods perhaps) is expected to have full MP-capabilities and should work in LANs and whatever as well – the thing to remember there is that all involved players must have identical versions of redux installed – if they do, everything should work just fine.

I have played many redux MP-battles myself and have always had a lot of fun when I did so – I certainly recommend others to try it out. It is a lot of fun. I think there is a specific section on the subject in the VI upgrade 1.0-read me – feel free to check that out. Its available in the download area (post:1) as everything else released to the public.

Anything else people, fire away…

- Cheers

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

Hey there Axalon, I'm finally getting around to playing Redux (better late than never, huh?). 2 questions

1) Will this work with the Gold Edition
    2) What link(s) should I download?

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

Hi Man,

1) Yup, others have supposedly run it successfully on Gold ed, so I see no reason why you should no be able to do it (using the VI-upgrade).
    2) Use whatever links you want, it is your choice. In my experience, Filefront is usually faster… You need, MTW-Redux 1.0b + VI-upgrade
    + Spanish Fix (B) and you are good to go...

- Enjoy da game.

2000 downloads….

Yesterday, MTW-Redux 2nd edition hit the 2000 downloads-marker. It is rather amazing considering the overall
    circumstances – an 8 year old game to play it and the first release as late as 2008 (some 6 years after MTW
    was released. Now if that is not bad timing – I don’t know what is). Anyhow, there it is.

Do enjoy redux folks….

- Cheers

BTW I was thinking for the pagans Tier 2 priest(I'm not sure if you did this already) a full enlightened Buddha. And for Inquisition an Exorcist.

Hello Michael,

Personally, I have no such plans or intentions for a number of reasons. Thus I am unlikely to do it. However, that does not mean that you (or someone else) can not mod your copy of redux towards that end. Technically, both your suggested agents are indeed possible and redux is designed to have “infrastructure and room” for some medium modding and customization “on the fly”, even in your current campaigns and saves – extra buildings, agents and troops for instance – should any player want that….

All of that is possible with redux. There already are some blank slots prepared for “extra agents” (among other stuff) so you could easily use one of those to make all this happen. The tricky thing here would probably be to create decent and above all functional GFX – since you would need some of that for your agent(s). I did some extra GFX for an agent but never used it in default redux (I locked it down); a “warlock” – you could perhaps use that for at one agent or possibly as a combination of both (then use the “grand inquisitor”-template for class-distinction while editing with a Gnome-Editor and all the relevant files). All that stuff is fully functional (all files are there) and it is already included in the current edition. I have put together a sample/pic of it for curious folks out there….

As a possible suggestion here; maybe you could use the “pagan temple”-building as a requirement for the “warlock” (or whatever it will be). That building strike me as fairly hard and suitable thing for such an agent (possibly a maxed stone circle/”great henge” is another possible candidate). Anyhow, I’ll leave that for you (and others interested in this) to ponder upon.

Now, most of the necessary Bifs/Bufs are located in this path: “?\?\?\Redux - Total War\campmap\pieces\Agents” – labeled “warlock_X” etc.etc. There is also an infopic and rev-pic ready for it as well - in their respective standard places for such files (and an in-game description is there for it as well). The portrait is located here: “?\?\?\Redux - Total War\campmap\Portraits\Catholic\Ulama”. Anyhow, go for it…

- Cheers

Hello, great mod.
    i played a little for now and i found it fun.

I began to edit and custome the files, but i can't find the script that make appear Novgorod and the Swiss... don't know where to find it.

I would like to add the old sipahis of the porte (Turk's BG in vanilla), is there any tweak to make them balanced with the others unit of this mod.??

Thanks for your work, and sorry for my average english..

Hi and thanks Matthias,

1). About adding factions

The file you are looking for is the RX-startpos file (“?:\?\?\Redux - Total War\campmap\startpos\ReduxSPC.txt”) and then you need to add the factions you are talking about in that file. This might be more difficult and will require more effort then one might imagine because you will almost have to do it from scratch (I did remove much of that stuff you see. You will have to recreate new entries for ‘em). There are other files as well that needs altering for this to happen properly. Anyhow, I give you a link to a guide for adding factions (for VI, I guess most of it works fine for MTW V1.1 as well)….

http://www.totalwar.org/Downloads/Mt...tion_guide.pdf

Also, you must assign troops and buildings to the factions for this to work properly – it will be fairly messy since I used those two factions as dummies all over. You will have to create a solution for it somehow (at your discretion).

2). About the Sipathi

If you have MTW v1.1, I suggest that you to forget it - structurally there is no room for it (as far as GFX go). If you have VI, you will have to use one of the custom folders (0-9) in “?:\?\?\Redux - Total War\Textures\Men” since it will require the use of the old (and discarded) Bif-plate. This old Bif-plate is the biggest obstacle here. If you use another and already included Bif-plate, things are a lot easier for you – if you can live with that solution (perhaps “SMailCav” or whatever. BTW that will work just fine in MTW v.1.1. Then use some of the blank entries in crus_units-file).

Hopefully things will get sorted out for you and don’t worry about your
    English – just do your best. Also, feel free to post here more if you like.

Anything else, fire away folks…

- Cheers
    ----------
    BTW, I will probably post some new previews here shortly.

Ok, some new Redux-previews then….

From top left, we have infopics for Spanish raiders, Saxon heavy spearmen, Saxon warriors (infantry), Frankish
    infantry
    (remake) and hospitaller foot knights (remake)…

Now, the Spanish raiders marks the return of the MTW "jinette"-concept to reduxed battles after a rather long absence
    there. And yes, they hurl spears if given the chance and can do much damage if allowed to do so (they must still have
    the chance for it). The Saxon heavy spearmen will replace the old and more diffuse “Saxon infantry”-unit and thus making
    things clearer. Saxon warriors finally got a pic that do them better justice. As for the hopitaller fotknights (and indeed
    all western orders) now have distinctive shields in the pics to set them apart from other foot-knights and orders.

In this one we have (from top left) Spanish lancers, pikemen, Spanish champion, archers (plain) and halberdiers.

Well, I was never really satified with the old pic for the lancers so I finally came around to change it. Same story for the
    pikemens as well essentially. The Spanish champ turned out to be quite a challenge to create a pic for - that would also
    satisfactory work with the concept – I eventually ended up creating this one and I think we finally have a winner for it.
    The new archer pic is the result of me not being entirely satisfied with the old one - same thing for the halberdiers
    (possibly I’ll make another one for orthodox factions). Anyhow, I will post some more previews later on.

Oki, that’s that. Any questions, comments or anything else, fire away folks….

- Cheers

Hi Axalon

Glad to read you're still working on Redux v2.

Re. Jinettes, I have read that they were in fact a Moorish cavalry type. Which is not to say the Spanish didn't develop something similar having experienced just how effective they were.

Best regards
    Victor

Sapere aude
    Horace

good news... and good pictures..

What are your plans for the futures updates.??

Is it possible to download the info_pics you made or is it too early.?

For my own mod attempting i finally take the early period of XL mod to add those new factions, and i add your unit and projectile files for first... it works with 2 or 3 tweaks... not enough patience for adding completely new faction... So for now i am playing on REDUX XL mod...

EDIT : Damn, crash when passing from stratmap to battlemap...
    Last edited by Matthias the great; August 14, 2010 at 05:47 AM.

Looks like good stuff. I was willing to install it on my laptop, but my laptop won't support anything older than Vista. Currently I'm running Windowns 7 on it. Question is can I play the game with this OS?

Hi and thanks guys,

I’ll start with you Victor, (this is the VictorGB I am familiar with over at the Org, right?)

Yeah, I have no plans to quit redux until I have completed it and once that happens hopefully I have ended up with a game that is can seriously kick the crap out of things – so to speak. Err, I mean that is real good all over… Sorry…

Anyhow, I guess you are fairly right on the jinetes. Wikipedia claims that “jinete” means horseman and that these formations were used and popular during the “reconquista” as a (Christian) response to massed light Moorish cavalry (which seem to be common at the time). Not that this matters much in MTW or redux as such. The reason I included the Spanish raiders in redux was primarily to expand tactical circumstances in it – due to the spear-thingy they alone can do. In redux there will be 3 units that somehow reflect the “jinete”-concept as outlined in wiki; Spanish lancers, Spanish Horsemen and Spanish raiders (none are available to the Moorish faction by conventional means. Then again they have their own units).

Qitbuga

Short answer: possibly…

Long answer: I don’t know (I don’t have W7). Some people seems to be able to run MTW and redux on W7 while other have various problems of different kinds due to MTW fuss (not redux as such, mind you). I guess you will simply have to try to find out – if you are lucky it will work – if not, sorry. Blame MTW and CA because this is essentially out of my hands since redux rarely causes any problems by it self – while MTW certainly does. And unfortunately, Redux do require MTW somehow in order to run.

The culprit is usually the GFX-card and drivers (Nvidia stuff is especially problematic it seems. 8xxx and 9xxx cards for instance) rather then OS I think. All this in general terms. If you do have problems, do post up your issues over at the Eras-tech help-section (currently in the RTW-section. Don’t ask me why…) and go from there...

Matthias (last but not least)…

Quote Originally Posted by Matthias the great View Post
    good news... and good pictures..
    I hope so too...

What are your plans for the futures updates.?? ..
    A full release of new redux in 2010 (sometime, I don’t know more then that) – including a VI-compatibility module and as few bugs as possible regardless.

Is it possible to download the info_pics you made or is it too early.?
    Nah, none of it will be released before at least a new redux-beta is out...

For my own mod attempting i finally take the early period of XL mod to add those new factions, and i add your unit and projectile files for first... it works with 2 or 3 tweaks... not enough patience for adding completely new faction... So for now i am playing on REDUX XL mod...
    Creating a “bastard-mod” of sorts from Redux and XL, are we? Hehe, I did not see that coming. I guess there is a first for everything - because I can’t say that I seen that idea before. …Interesting move, none the less.

At any rate, the two (XL and Redux) are very different, and designed very differently as well. In some regards there are outright conflicting ideas and notions applied there. Viking Horde (creator of XL) believes in quantity just as you seem to do (as far as factions go at least) – I however do not. I believe in quality (usually at the expense of quantity) which will create a very different result – as it has in redux for instance (fewer factions and agents etc. etc. then the original game). There are issues with structural conformity/standardization within distinctions in variable X – making things less diverse and more predicable (which is bad in game-terms) and the actual diversity in variables/traits (which is good in game-terms, at least in conventional game theory) due to the hardcoded circumstances given in the internal mechanics of MTW. In general, most gamers out there never consider that (or are even aware of it) in their quest for some 5000 troops, factions or whatever. This is also true for at least a bunch of modders as well.

I did consider such stuff from day1 as I designed redux a few years back and it certainly has influenced my final designs for it – regardless the version. In short I don’t believe that a ton of anything (factions for instance) will secure a good and interesting game as such – if anything it is the other way around due to conformity problems – or so I believe. MTW is no exception for me. Still, that does not exclude that you and others can have a very different opinion on the matter. Viking Horde certainly do and XL is all about the conflicting notion that; quantity is a quality, if we are to believe his designs for it.

Regardless, I do suggest that you also use the redux-files on buildings as well in that experimental hybrid of yours – if you have not done so already. It will work better with redux units and the AI. I am almost willing to guarantee that, almost.

EDIT : Damn, crash when passing from stratmap to battlemap...
    Well, I am as much for modding-altering-customizing stuff as the next guy, and I have many, many times encouraged people to make their own adjustments in redux. I even designed redux in such a way that it will in fact be easier for people to mod it (making room for adding units, buildings etc. which (probably) is unique among MTW-alterations).

However, as you and everybody else must understand, once someone do start to fiddle around with the redux files and designs – and alters the default version of redux somehow - I can’t be held responsible for the results. If things screw up, it is a mess created by their hands - not mine. Thus it is not my responsibility, nor will I ever accept such a responsibility. Thus, once people do stuff like that, they are on their own.

I have actually come across a few people that certainly tried and wanted to blame me and redux as such for stuff and circumstances they themselves had created in it – weird and ridiculous, I know… All the same, it has happened. Anyhow, feel free to keep the rest of us updated on interesting findings, impressions you may come across in this experimental adventure of yours – if any. That is, if you stick with this unusual project.

- Cheers
    ------------
    I'll get back here soon(ish) with some more new screens...
    Last edited by Axalon; August 22, 2010 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Mo stuff!