Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: Medieval Total War - Redux (Beta)

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Default Re: Medieval Total War - Redux 1.0b

Great stuff....I think that i am going to try to find the game again inorder to play this mod....
    Can you post some pics of the byzantine roster??
    Pleease.....
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Athenogoras's Avatar Campidoctor

Now that is a castle(but where is the princess in the tower?). And I like the variation on the shields and your idea of making the factioncolours and themes more easy to distinguish on the battlefield.

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

-----------------------------------------------------
    Filefront deleted all redux files!

Hi all, I’m sorry but I will have to put all my regular activities here on hold until all this crap is sorted out and the files are uploaded again. Filefront management has in their infinite wisdom managed to fup yet again - deleting all the files in spite of the fact that most these were “active” and no warning for deletion was sent to me either….

I will for the time being put up some auxiliary links to Atomicgamer. I am at this point rather tempted to move my business away from filefront but they will have to do until I find a better and more functional alternative. In the mean time, do enjoy the battle-screens I posted up a few days ago….

EDIT: I have fixed it now, new Filefront-links in place....

- Cheers
    ---------------
    I’ll get back here when this crap is sorted….
    Last edited by Axalon; June 04, 2009 at 09:20 AM. Reason: update...

Hi guys,

Sorry for the delays here, but filefront–management created this mess, not me! Anyhow, it makes me happy that you guys like the alterations I have made so far – there is more of course. Maybe later I might do new screens on other stuff as well, time will tell. I suppose everything return to it’s rather dreary obscurity around here since I currently have no plans to post up any new screens soon….

AnthoniusII….

Again, I appreciate the enthusiasm here. I’ll consider your Byzantine-request, but it still is easier and faster to get these just to download redux 2nd edition. Regardless, the Byzantines offer as most factions in redux a rather unique and different overall experience apart from others in the game. The faction designed in a whole other way than Catholic factions and the problems facing the Byzantines are dissimilar and will create a different game. Stuff like this is usually closely connected to tech-trees and the circumstances these create – the Byzantines are no exception to that. They also got plenty of solid and unique troops in redux and as far as I can remember they are….

1. Byzantine Infantry (100 men)
    2. Byzantine Palaceguard (40 men)
    3. Byzantine Lancers (100 men)
    4. Byzantine Cavalry (100 men)
    5. Byzantine Cataphracts (10 men)
    6. Byzantine/Heavy Horsearchers (40 men)

Perhaps this was interesting stuff for you?

Athenogoras….

I really digged the princess-remark it immediately put a smile on my “scarred warrior face”. I threw a little rep-ring your way for your overall great attitude here, it’s well earned I think. Sadly enough I forgot to tag it in my name, but if the remark includes princesses somehow it’s probably from me….

Oh boy, it would have been so cool if it were possible to put in plenty of such pointless yet wonderful “icing” in the game. I always thought that the princesses were made to be rather meaningless in the game which I think is a shame. After all they were included in the game – why don’t make something useful and interesting out of them? More possible actions and options for them basically, I am sure that things could have been way better designed, even by CA, to provide further and more varied aspects into the game. And most importantly, princesses should be hot and sexy! Everything else is secondary, as we all well know….

Slightly more serious then…. Yes, you obviously noticed and understood one of my old plans with redux – making units more distinguishable in the field. I think the original game had many problems in that regard and those circumstances never was any good for the game, and especially so in MP-games when “time is short and turns are tight”. Redux counters and deal with that problem and that in a way that apparently has not been done before. The royal knight formations are an obvious example of that, the royal infantry formations with their rather distinctive shields are another. The theme-concept seems to be unique for redux and it serves two purposes here; 1. making troops more identifiable and distinct, 2. make the game look better - cosmetics (which won't hurt either). On general terms I always tried to GFX-wise design troops so they could be clearly identified from afar. I had several such problems while I still played the original game years back but with redux all those problems are dust….

- Cheers

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

After seeing this mod I might have to give the original MTW a spin soon....

Hello Legio Ceasar,

....Well, if sexy princesses and angry knights are your kind of thing, by all means, knock your self out with redux....

- Cheers
    ----------
    3rd edition will of course in a general sense look sexier still as shown in the
    screens in previous posts.... (Once released, that is).

Hi all, I posted this elsewhere and I thought I might as well post it here at the TWC - just in case...

A few guidelines for future reduxy suggestions:
    -------------------------------------------------

Since I will soon start working with good ‘ol 3rd again, I thought that some basic practice and guidelines considering potential and future suggestions and ideas for redux could be outlined here to make things smoother. Now is probably the best time to forward stuff like this and if “you” think that that you have some stuff and suggestions that will make redux better - then by all means state your case here and I’ll be happy to hear you out – if the unlikely happens and I like and want to include it in redux, a credit is secured in 3rd edition for you (I’m sorry but I can hardly offer anything else here). Also be quite aware that the rule is that it will be turned down – so don’t feel bad if that happens to your idea or suggestion – it is to be expected, on the other hand you have little to loose by trying, right?

Anyway, before anybody starts to do this (if it happens at all, that is). Here are some pointers to keep in mind….

1. Know the circumstances found in (default) redux…. Do your homework.
    2. Think your stuff thru properly, it will increase the chances for endorsement.
    3. If it disrupts already present design too much it is extremely unlikely that I will include it.
    4. Bear in mind that it will have to work for both v.1.1 and VI. That is an overriding priority for me and that won’t change. No matter what….
    5. If possible, consider the workload-factor of your suggestion/idea - you can be certain that I will.
    6. If possible, try to consider stability issues and aspects for the game - you can be certain that I will.
    7. If I have turned it down, I have turned it down and that is pretty final. If you don’t like it, do it on your own copy of redux! You don’t need my sanction for that!
    8. Do try to determine if the idea or suggestion has been forwarded before. If it has there is little point in trying all over again. After all, it is tedious for me and others to read the same thing over and over again. Besides it makes you look more serious…
    9. ???

The Dead Concepts List (don't bother with these)
    ------------------------
    1. More Factions
    2. More Troops/units (the technical roof is reached essentially)
    3. More provinces
    4. More ships
    5. More agents
    6. More florins
    7. Swiss faction included
    8. Novgorod faction included
    9. Historical events
    10. Change of timeframe
    11. Spawned heroes
    12. Muslim princesses (Hardcoded-reasons)
    13. More playable factions (officially supported)
    14. Making new battle maps
    15. Garrison capacity
    16. New portraits for Muslims/Orthodox/Pagans….
    17. Scalability in Royal Knights, various champion/hero-units…
    18. English longbows and range
    19. Era-progression
    20. ???

Ok, that's about it...

- Cheers

A short question:

Why have you changed the timeframe of this mod to 700-1260?

Quote Originally Posted by Xerrop View Post
    A short question:

Why have you changed the timeframe of this mod to 700-1260?
    I'm only speculating here, but going by comments Axalon has made in the past, I'm guessing he -- like some of us (including myself) -- doesn't care for the late medieval period when gunpowder weapons were starting to become common. So by shifting the time frame back a few centuries, he's able to avoid that.

As to why he stretched out the playing period from 365 to 560 years, it's so that people can play as slow as they like without having to feel like they're hurried in any way. A lot of MTW players (again, including myself) prefer to turtle, which obviously means it takes a lot longer than those who "blitz" the map.
    "Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." - Pascal

Hi Xerrop,

I think Martok sums it up pretty well. If you (or somebody else) want further
    and additional details on this issue, just ask....

- Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Axalon View Post
    The Dead Concepts List (don't bother with these)
    ------------------------
    12. Muslim princesses (Hardcoded-reasons)
    In the MTW XL 3.0 mod there are muslim princesses - I saw some from the Volga-Bulgars.

Maybe it´s because they are a new generated muslim faction and not one of the vanilla ones.

What are the victory conditions in this mod? Is there a 'grand achievements' campaign, or is it a case of simply winning over all the territory? Thank you in advance for reply, my pc is going back to repair shop tomorrow but I'll check back on here hopefully next weekend for reply.

Another question: Is there still a Mongol Invasion?
    In vanilla MTW it occures 1230 AD - 30 years before the end of your timeframe.

Hi guys,

I’ll start with you daviduk109; officially redux only supports conquest-mode - either major victory (100%) or minor victory (60%) – before 1260 AD. - Mainly because I previously (upon release of 1st edition) feared potential bugs and trouble with glory-mode....

Off the record, you can still play glory-mode as much as you want – that is as long as you play any of the offically supported player-factions of redux. If you do that, everything should still function just fine. Due to the fact that the dates for “glory-points” are hardcoded you will only receive these points at the end of your reduxed campaign. That mode is essentially just about gathering most points before the end-date (1260 AD) and little else. Since points are indeed granted (although late) it should work just fine regardless. As far as I can tell, glory-points should be granted at seven points/dates in the game, these are:

1100 AD
    1125 AD
    1150 AD
    1175 AD
    1205 AD
    1225 AD
    1250 AD

It functions, so it should work just fine despite of the late dates for granting the glory-points. I actually tend to play that mode myself and I have had little problems with it – then again, I am usually done by 1100 (I have checked it out, and it obviously works). So, you have some 400 turns to prepare for your first glory-points.... A bit odd, but ok - it works alright.... When I released redux I did not want to encourage people to play that mode because of fear of bugs – those fears are still left in the design of 2nd edition and that’s why it says that redux will not grant any point in glorious achievements. Maybe I’ll change that in future releases – we’ll see.

Ok Xerrop, first question. Yeah, XL is designed for VI-only which means that it has somewhat friendlier environment to deal with. Because of that fact it is possible for it to have Islamic and pagan-princesses that appears to work and function properly as supposed to. However, redux has a broader compatibility goal then XL and is designed to function with all major official editions of the original MTW. Redux is actually one of the very few mods out there that does support MTW V.1.1 and it is unique in the sense that it virtually provides the same game regardless of what copy/version of MTW “you” have available.

Now, because of the broader (actually total) compatibility goal the possibility to manoeuvre and make things happen on the standard redux-platform (VI/V.2.01 and V.1.1 of MTW) it is more limited. That is the price for that broad compatibility due to CA-design, and it has always been my goal to be able to provide the same game regardless what version of MTW “you” got. So far, it seems that I am actually the only one who has ever (openly) considered things like that. Because of those limits it is not possible to make universally functional Islamic/pagan princesses in the ways we might like - since that is indeed hardcoded in V.1.1. I know that since I have actually tried. Princess-names and functional spawning of new daughters/princesses don’t work as it does in VI. That’s why I have also categorized it as hardcoded in that list because it is in V.1.1. – hardcoded to not work properly. Again, most people (and modders) don’t consider that or any such thing since they usually only look to stuff as far as the version available to them (usually VI) – I on the other hand, have a broader perspective than that when I do design for redux. Islamic/pagan princesses are no exceptions (you may possibly be right about the “new” and “vanilla” aspect of it – I don’t know)....

Second question, in short there will not be a Mongol invasion in redux, there might be a massive reappearance of the Lithuanian faction, if they have been wiped out prior to 1230-33 AD (otherwise nothing happens). Again, this is because of V.1.1 of MTW. The Lithuanians have replaced the Golden Horde in redux (because of faction colors, these are hardcoded in V.1.1). You will get a message that the Lithuanians have allied themselves to the mighty Golden Horde of the east and because of it they have found new and great strength essentially (I don’t remember the exact and more immersive message as I write this). It is not “historically accurate” but I honestly don’t care since I never bothered much with any of that anyhow – I want a cool and fun game and tried to design things accordingly (only using history as possible inspiration). If I’ll have to throw away some of the history books to make it happen – so be it. A fun and cool game is more important to me.

Ok, that’s that. Any other questions, fire away....

- Cheers

thanks for reply re. grand achievements. Maybe make the game more difficult so that it becomes much more difficult to win by 1100, or even much more difficult to win at all, so that the game does not always have an inevitable outcome.

Incidentally, I always found the units 'catapult', 'crossbows' (particularly pavise crossbows) and infantry javelin units (when used on defense) to be overpowered on the battlefield, at least when I use them against the AI. I had in mind to decrease the rate of fire of catapults and crossbow units and decrease the ammunition supply of infantry javelin units, to try to make these units more balanced vs. the AI. However that would be quite an advanced move for me, since I have never done any modding of this game.
    Last edited by daviduk109; July 25, 2009 at 03:00 PM.

Hello daviduk109 and my pleasure,

Errrrrr…… Are we really talking about MTW-redux here? People usually don’t complain much about things being too easy in general - that is actually very rare in my experience. Maybe I have misunderstood you a bit here…?

As for the other stuff, that sure don’t sound like redux to me. On general terms I would suggest that you try some reduxed battle, it is pretty different you know…. Fight a few custom battles or something, full stacks, different kinds of troops. The regular CA-battle system doesn’t apply on redux you see….

Anyhow, you probably need to be a bit clearer and more specific here before I can
    help you out properly, sorry but there you have it….

- Cheers

hey, k, first off, i went and bought medieval again just to play this mod, lol, woo!!, and its fantastic, it brings back such good memories of playing this back in the day, and you've done some amazing stuff with this!! loving it!!
    so question, everytime, i close to save my campaing, or right click on a unit card in the sp campangne map i get a ctd, so what should i do? is this because i have vista 64 bit?

Hi there legioXvance and thanks a bunch….

Da problem then…. Well, the whole thing sounds rather strange actually (I have only heard of anything “similar” once. And, it was not even the same thing as you have, of that I am pretty certain). Now, if your PC is able to run the original game with no incident you should be more than able to run redux. What version are you running redux upon exactly? V.1.1 or VI/V.2.01? Gold or era ERA-edition perhaps?

My gut says that Vista 64 is probably not the culprit this time (try to run it in compatibility mode win2000, rightclick EXE. and set it up in properties, I assume it is something like that in Vista). It sounds like the drivers to your GFX-card or a corrupt-save. Have you installed everything correctly? Are you absolutely sure about it? Have you changed anything or files on your own? Have you had these problems all the time? Can you start a new game and rightclick etc.etc. – If you can do that - it is a corrupt save (then you are smoked and have to start over, or use a save prior to it got corrupted, this is solely because of flaws of the original game – thus not redux related in any way). If you can not, it is either the installation that is wrong somehow or more likely the GFX-drivers are fussing with you probably. Anyhow, make an additional install and see what happens just to make absolutely sure that everything is in place (if all else fails that is).

If it really is a corrupt save, I would appreciate if you could go to this place and report it in….
    http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=109047

- Good luck

-------------------------------------------------------
    EDIT: I have split the thread since legioXvance’s problems are obviously not
    redux-related. The last post have thus been moved to a new thread and then
    moved to the Eras Technical help-section. It is there this issue really belongs….

- Thread split
    Last edited by Axalon; August 10, 2009 at 03:10 PM. Reason: update....

Why are all the Catholic nations portraits the same picture of the closed helmet??
    falnk with cavlary. stay a way from muder hoels.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Why are all the Catholic nations portraits the same picture of the closed helmet??
    Why don’t you read the redux “read me”?? ….Customization section?