Page 18 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Medieval Total War - Redux (Beta)

Goutlard's Avatar Janissary

Default Re: Medieval Total War - Redux (Beta)

As far as I see, the AI in general and the gameplay was given a good work in this mod. Something that did surprise me even more than the great work is that many major factions just disappeared in profit to new factions and territories were reduced. It looks like the Byzantine Empire took a beating compared to Vanilla MIITW, same about the Holy Romans and Hungarians. Awesome mod, despite the fact that on some few point it does not seem like "Reduxed" but "Reduced"
    Wind from the East's Awards :

Hi all,
    I have recently installed and started playing Redux. I prefer MTW 1 to its successors as I like the strategy game much better than the tactical battles. Redux seems (after brief play) to have addressed many of the holes in the MTW 1 strategy game. What I am looking for is some sort of strategy guide or set of hints that applies to Redux. The game play and many of the 'tricks' seem to have changed from the original. This is a good thing, but since it is a very long game I would just as soon learn from the experience of others rather than have to figure everything out for myself.

I am currently about 50 years into a game as the English. My observations so far are that the AI build one heck of a lot more boats; the light spearman is the new 'peasant'; the AI are much more apt to form alliances and to offer you their daughters; and, that the Byzantines really have no business being in Picardy.

The AI seems much more competent. The game seems tougher, which is good. In the instance I am playing, the AI also seems much more peaceful. Can someone link me to good thread about strategy for Redux?

Thanks,
    StrategeryBush

The AI spams the poop out of assassins, and no other agents (save for princesses, but those are free). It's rather annoying.

Oh, and it looks to me like the Pleasure Palace's +1 Valour bonus isn't actually applied to newly-recruited spies. This needs fixing in a patch.

Dont think there is such thing as a strategy guide yet. If there were, it would probably be put on the wiki page here . Sounds like a good idea though.

I can tell you a bit about my experiences after 400 years in the game. Just like you I prefer the strategical aspects over tactical battles. Got some modifications made myself to Redux like fixed ship costs to be between 2000-5000 and some new factions. The AI should play the same however. I can tell you not to trust your allies, they are just waiting for a chance to kick your butt off the map, lol. I ended up with all turning their backs on me.
    Things got so though around here after about 150-200 years when my enemies teamed up in a 6on1 that I decided to relocate my faction by doing a ''raid'' party to the south. The lowly monthly expenses and huge army size made this possible. By destroying all buildings on the road I got me over 100.000 in cash when I finally got to my destination. Enough to build a solid nation in a new land.

If you can then build a strong defense for your land to make sure your allies/neighbours/enemies will not ever dare to attack. Do this by keeping high guard on the border provinces. And then focus on trade. Use the best governors for trade this makes a huge difference once the cash starts flowing. Sent your ships to as many sea areas as possible to maximize profits. Preferably sent ships in groups of 2-3 to each sea location so your trade connection wont be lost at any time at all. Also build stronger defenses while you grow to increase safety and prepare for the worst. Safe cash for wartimes because once the sea trading gets lost/blocked you will lose that income and just stand there with high expenses. At all times keep your generals loyality as high as possible by offering marriage and titles. If even that isnt satisfying do not hesitate to disband them. A rebellion is the last thing you will want to have and for what I have noticed it can happen really fast in redux. Like after a king has died. A few 0 star generals with lower loyality didnt bother me yet.

Thats just how I play this. I guess there are fruitier options.

One more thing, sea lanes are mislabeled. By clicking on a lane in the area list it takes you to a completely different one on the map.

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

Hi all and thanks for posting guys… I’ll try to reply/comment all around but for now I’ll start with Teep

Quote Originally Posted by Teep View Post
    ...I am using Windows 8 but am running the game in Windows XP (Service Pack 3) compatability mode (though the same thing occurs in regular windows 8) have the button-fix and cannot get to the main menu in the raw game. I have the game installed under C:\Program Files (x86)\Total War\Medieval Total war and used the red install path.
    I doubt the problems are there due to a fawlty install or some such... I fear the worst on this one... First of all, Windows 8 is "unconfirmed" on Redux and thus there is no guarantee whatsoever it will work at all on that OS. Secondly, I personally don’t have any Windows 8 and thus my actual possibility to help you or anyone with that OS is virtually non-existent because of the fact. All I can say is that I suspect that your chances of running MTW - in any form - will ultimately increase by using Redux.

Other then that, the DX-problem is due to files, hardware and drivers that don’t get along, as I understand it. Thus, among your last options (I speculate) in W8 is to change GFX-drivers and try compatibility mode in Win2000 or W7 which is probably better then XP in this context. From what I have hear, Win 8, have had a very poor track-record with MTW so far, and so, I’m not optimistic about successfully running Redux upon it. If you run Redux on Windows 7 (64bit) you should have little problems, if that is an option for you, then that is the one solution I recommend you to do here. Other then that, you know as much as I do on this….

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiBG View Post
    I would like to say one big thanks for delivering this amazing update, Axalon! The reason why Im so silent is Linux but I believe that someday I will be able to play MTW or even STW on Wine without problems.
    Thanks a bunch Georgi, appreciation is always nice… What I don’t get is why you do not go straight for W7 and be done with it? Don’t you have W7? I thought you did. If you do, then what is the fuss about? You can obviously play Redux without bothering with Linux in the first place. What am I missing here?

Essentially, read it all as my way of telling you to be less silent here.

Quote Originally Posted by bouis View Post
    Decided to give MTW another try -- easily the best TW game. And your mod is great. Had a lot of fun with it.
    Thanks man… Play some more Redux, whenever ready too… Each campaign tends to be different - offering a new adventure and experience - even if the same faction is played.

Quote Originally Posted by Goutlard View Post
    Something that did surprise me even more than the great work is that many major factions just disappeared in profit to new factions and territories were reduced. It looks like the Byzantine Empire took a beating compared to Vanilla MIITW, same about the Holy Romans and Hungarians. Awesome mod, despite the fact that on some few point it does not seem like "Reduxed" but "Reduced"
    I think in many cases it is a matter of achieving/creating viable balance on the grand map – removing Turkey for instance, is a typical example of the fact. It allows both Saracens and Byzantines to build up much needed strength to maintain even a minor empires in that troubled area of MTW – the middle-east and minor asia. This is especially true for the Byzantines (which typically performs rather poorly under AI-management). And it would never have been possible if the Turks would still be around in Redux– then the Turks, Byzantines and Saracens would all be weak and squabbling over underdeveloped provinces that yielded little wealth and strength due to constantly shifting masters as the factions in question are too weak to properly defend it – while they also lack the strength to expand much beyond that petty rivalry, due to the overall circumstance. A “catch 22” if you will. As is a typical scenario in raw-MTW, XL and the like.

I don’t want that, I don’t like that, I want factions to be strong and able to put up a serious fight to any enemy faction and to seriously defend and garrison their territory - and - have the capacity to expand and get even stronger and dangerous for the player to face, because of the fact. That is what I want, and that is what I usually get in Redux, much due to such designs. That sort of reduction provides good circumstances for viable and strong factions. Some 5000 factions does not… And it creates a very different - and much healthier – overall dynamic in the game as it is far more unpredictable, active and changing. And, the AI will always do a better job starting with one province then with plenty – no exceptions, Redux included. That is desirable for us as players because that increases the overall challenge for us – which in turn makes the game more interesting and exiting to play (for most people anyways)….

Quote Originally Posted by StrategeryBush View Post
    I have recently installed and started playing Redux. I prefer MTW 1 to its successors as I like the strategy game much better than the tactical battles.
    First of all, welcome to the forum... Redux does have a deliberate and heavy focus on battles, troops and tactics, however if you prefer to play it for the strategy-stuff then by all means do so.

What I am looking for is some sort of strategy guide or set of hints that applies to Redux. The game play and many of the 'tricks' seem to have changed from the original. This is a good thing, but since it is a very long game I would just as soon learn from the experience of others rather than have to figure everything out for myself.
    The problem is that there is no such guide(s) available as the community has never created any, nor attempted to do it. Feel free to change that circumstance if you like. I seriously doubt that you are the only one that can see the benefits of having such a guide (or guides) available. As for me, I have no time to do it, nor do I need any – after all, I designed the damn thing. So, its you guys who want/need a guide that will have to do it. I just do the game, that’s more then enough work for me. Anyways, I’ll be happy to support such a venture should it ever happen. The general idea of a guide - faction-wise or otherwise - is obviously a good one…

That said (and help you a bit at least)... Yup things are different in Redux... Overall, I think any new player of Redux should initially focus on securing a functional economy and see to stability-levels to avoid rebellions – this regardless whatever faction it may be. Most factions in Redux typically builds plenty of troops - at least on the v.1.1 engine – which means that you must somehow build some troops to keep up. Now, expect these troops to be upgraded and more advanced as time progresses. Remember, things happen MUCH faster in Redux then it ever did in raw MTW and that will put a different kind of pressure on inexperienced players. Furthermore, have respect for rebel-forces, because they CAN kill careless and foolish players. Rebels is not to be trifled with as in raw MTW. Overall the choices are plenty and often more crucial/important in effect - so do not make them lightly, especially at start up. So, that's some things for you to ponder…

I am currently about 50 years into a game as the English. My observations so far are that the AI build one heck of a lot more boats; the light spearman is the new 'peasant'; the AI are much more apt to form alliances and to offer you their daughters; and, that the Byzantines really have no business being in Picardy.
    Yeah, I’m guessing you are probably using a VI/v.2.01-engine, which means that you are likely to experience the "AI-boat craze syndrome" that somehow ended up plaguing the RXB1004-release for VI/v.2.01. I intend to do something about all that, as that is hardly how things should be in Redux, its not a satisfactory AI-performance by my standards. Usually the focus is much more on armies and troops instead – as it should be. Ships are (a bit simplified) essentially a strategy and trade-piece, little else....

The AI seems much more competent. The game seems tougher, which is good. In the instance I am playing, the AI also seems much more peaceful.
    It typically is, while the current VI-release does seem to have performance-issues. As I said I’ll fix it, later on. As for the peace, I doubt it will last, it typically don’t. France and England, Italy and Lombardy, Byzantium and the Saracens are typical conflicts to be expected for instance. Redux is typically much more aggressive, active and warlike then the raw MTW – however it certainly can deviate from that usual behavior at times, but I have yet to see it last through out a campaign. It also might be worthwhile to point out that the VI/v.2.01 is much slower to act and react then in v.1.1 – always has been. That is nothing new for Redux.

Can someone link me to good thread about strategy for Redux?
    Here is a link to various threads that might be interesting somehow (you decide)…

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumd...?263-MTW-Redux

I’ll get back with more replies/comments later on, whenever time allows. Again thanks to all
    for posting... After all, people posting about and/or discussing Redux-stuff somehow is sort
    of the point here. And please, feel free to carry on doing that without me.

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; November 27, 2013 at 09:16 AM. Reason: less blabla...

Quote Originally Posted by Sunndae View Post
    Hello Axalon I just registered here to thank you for releasing and working on this mod. You have put hell of a effort on it, and its great. It just is.
    I really appreciate that man, I certainly do, and welcome to the forum!

One thing I like to mention after reading so many posts regarding XL and missing factions? I have like 20 copies of this game on my pc all with different mods installed. I used to play XL mod mostly out of all of them. XL is a great mod, like Redux, Redux is just different and tbh the campaign feature looks awesome and plays (for me) very refreshing. Cant imagine playing without Redux anymore.
    Regarding the “missing factions” see previous post… It’s a design, balance and performance thing essentially. As for XL, yeah people seem very happy to drag XL in here and compare it to Redux. I really don’t know why as they are fundamentally different projects in basically everything. Few things are the same between the two, and they have at times straight up conflicting design-doctrines. All the same, some few goals are shared – making the overall game tougher and challenging for instance. Both Redux and XL aims for that with varied success.

I do now understand that the fewer factions (in comparison to XL) actually make the game more challenging. The fewer factions however was also my main concern. So I added up some XL factions to your mod before I even started playing it. So I dont know if or not if it would be more challenging.
    You do as you please, of course… As for challenge, upon a typical MTW-stratmap, fewer factions results in stronger factions which in turn is a more challenging circumstance. There is really no way around that, no amount of factions will ever change that reality. That is just how things are. (With all that in mind, I would suggest that you did 1-2 campaigns with default Redux just to see what kind of experience and challenge you are missing. For reference if nothing else).

I advice anyone whos missing factions to figure out their own way around in modding this game and add their own. There are so many good tutorials to be found. Like these and read this thread to the end, together this contains all you need to know.
    I agree, anyone who for some reason wants more factions in Redux should include them on their own – maybe even do a public sub-mod/expansion for Redux with extra factions enabled/included. Especially since there seem to be a “market”/demand for it. And, I have no problems with all that – as long as - no materials from other projects/mods are used. Only use Redux-material and/or create new materials and then I’m basically ok with all such public expansions/sub-mods/projects for Redux.

- A

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke View Post
    Religion has too little impact on the unrest of a province. It should be higher. An army from a faction with a different religion from the majoritarian/single one in a freshly conquered province should have considerable difficulty in pacifying the province. Also, religion tends to swing far too quickly. Conversion should be notably slower, and many religious buildings and preachers should be needed to accelerate it.
    As compared to what? Redux has already done such stuff – with all that in mind basically – because I came to the same conclusions years ago as I designed this stuff (this within what is possible to achieve in MTW-mechanics). More so then anything else released for MTW. Feel free to prove me wrong on that at any time...

There needs to be a corruption/unrest/rebellion penalty modifier based on distance (from the king; IIRC, capital is possible only from R:TW onwards).
    As compared to what? MTW already have a distance penalty in place (hardcoded) – beyond that there are no parameters for it - thus I can do diddly about it even if I wanted too.

It's seriously immersion-breaking to suddenly find the Byzantines pop up in Wales (it was so unnerving, I actually deleted all saves from that Britain game and started a new one, with the Russians).
    Well, things similar to the Byzantines conquering Wales will eventually happen no matter what in a game – it is unavoidable. It is a matter of when it happens in Redux and at what stage/phase of the game. If not, then the AI is not doing its job. That said…

The AI of RXB1004 upon a VI/v.2.01-engine does seem to have performance issues as it typically builds excessive amounts of ships while the rebels do not – creating an imbalance in the overall game. And enables quirks like that to happen much earlier then is ever desirable, furthermore it also makes many AI-factions typically weak and deficient on land which will become a serious problem in time. As far as I can tell the circumstance is limited to the VI/v.2.01 only. The v.1.1 doesn’t seem to have any such problems and is typically performing well within specifications. Redux is essentially the v.1.1-game ported to VI/v.2.01 and there lies the basic problem here – the latter reacts differently to the same AI-designs then the former. It works just fine in v.1.1 but not in VI/v.2.01 - and I did my designs in v.1.1…

Sea lanes should double or triple the distance penalty.
    I am not unsympathetic or unreceptive to making it somehow harder to maintain and build up fleets for trade or otherwise. Or the idea in general, but the question is how to do this in a viable and functional way that works with MTW-mechanics and that get along with general AI-performance. It’s likely to be different between v.1.1 and VI/v.2.01, and that don’t make it any easier… Overall, it is clear that naval stuff in Redux somehow can (and should) be improved upon for better end-results.

Generals posted in faraway provinces should preferentially gain disloyalty penalties.
    MTW-mechanics has no such parameters, so it won’t happen. Period. Besides, don’t we have enough of the tedious “babysitting-fest” of generals and governors featured in RTW and MTW2? I consider the absence of all that a strength of the MTW-engine. It’s bad enough to have all those completely random traits in MTW that I never wanted in the game in the first place. I’m ok with all traits you “earn” due to your actions somehow, I think those are ok. As for the others, If it were up to me I would rip out every stinking random trait in MTW and throw them all in the dumpster were they belong.

The AI spams the poop out of assassins, and no other agents (save for princesses, but those are free). It's rather annoying.
    Again, as compared to what? Besides, assassins are invisible to all other factions - including you - so I can’t help but to wonder here - are you trying to “play” or “inspect” Redux? The two are very different activities and obviously don’t serve the same purpose, now do they? That said….

It can probably be explained by that many AI-factions simply lack the facilities to produce any other agents at the time. Spamming agents of any kind is never good for any faction and the AI never could handle agents properly or sensibly in the first place – so few agents is typically a good thing on general terms. Both in Redux or otherwise. Assassins will at least provide some security for their faction so it not a total waste of resources and it does have meaning in the game. Other then that, I have reduced the numbers of agents in Redux because they typically will do more harm then help the overall game. That reduced number of agents in Redux, might possibly also be a part of why you see fewer kinds of agents running around on the map.

Oh, and it looks to me like the Pleasure Palace's +1 Valour bonus isn't actually applied to newly-recruited spies. This needs fixing in a patch.
    This is a valid point... Obviosly, a previously undetected error and it does need fixing, and I’ll credit you for finding it…. Anyways, spies are enabled via the chancellery and not brothels - this since RXB1003…. Thus, no +1 bonus for ‘em, regardless.

One more thing, sea lanes are mislabeled. By clicking on a lane in the area list it takes you to a completely different one on the map.
    Another somehow valid point… Some sea lanes are mislabelled in VI/v.2.01 (using the pop-up menus) and this error shall obviously be fixed in a future patch/release. In the v.1.1 there seems to be no such errors. Now, it’s great that you forward this discovery so I and other can be made aware of it… All the same, I think it is fair to say that it would have been even more helpful if you (or somebody else) could have actually listed or specified here all the mislabelled sea-squares you found faulty in the fist place, the very stuff that made you post about it, don’t you think? Not to mention that you are actually running Redux on a VI/v.2.01-engine – which evidently does matter here – as it turns out that the error in question is actually limited to that version only. Just saying...

- A

Quote Originally Posted by Axalon View Post
    As compared to what?
    Well, there should be the "There are reports of [insert religion here] bandits appearing (gathering? can't remember exact wording) in [insert name here] province" event (more often). Yes, I'm aware they're usually not exceptionally difficult to crush.

As compared to what? MTW already have a distance penalty in place (hardcoded) – beyond that there are no parameters for it - thus I can do diddly about it even if I wanted too.
    I'm not aware of the engine's minutiae, therefore I concede that my suggestions may or may not work.

The AI of RXB1004 upon a VI/v.2.01-engine does seem to have performance issues as it typically builds excessive amounts of ships while the rebels do not – creating an imbalance in the overall game. And enables quirks like that to happen much earlier then is ever desirable, furthermore it also makes many AI-factions typically weak and deficient on land which will become a serious problem in time. As far as I can tell the circumstance is limited to the VI/v.2.01 only. The v.1.1 doesn’t seem to have any such problems and is typically performing well within specifications. Redux is essentially the v.1.1-game ported to VI/v.2.01 and there lies the basic problem here – the latter reacts differently to the same AI-designs then the former. It works just fine in v.1.1 but not in VI/v.2.01 - and I did my designs in v.1.1…
    Yes, I've noticed the imbalance. Once you knock out such a faction's navy, they become very easy to defeat piecemeal, since now their (otherwise vast) armies are unable to present a unified defence (this is the case with the Saracens; in my game as the Byzantines, they went from the most powerful faction to a couple of disparate provinces, after my navy beat the crap out of theirs and were unable to check my advance; their faraway provices got picked off by the other factions).

I am not unsympathetic or unreceptive to making it somehow harder to maintain and build up fleets for trade or otherwise.
    It might be that ship upkeep (20 florins per galley, 10 per warship) is too low. Not sure about that, though.

Besides, don’t we have enough of the tedious “babysitting-fest” of generals and governors featured in RTW and MTW2?
    The whole "your general will invariably become a drunkard if posted in a province with a tavern" was/is utter crap.

Again, as compared to what? Besides, assassins are invisible to all other factions - including you - so I can’t help but to wonder here - are you trying to “play” or “inspect” Redux? The two are very different activities and obviously don’t serve the same purpose, now do they?
    Mostly 'inspect' to be honest. The actual tactical gameplay is (oddly enough) rather boring to me (I generally only fight manual battles when there are few units involved). Yes, I tend to veer toward "quality testing" in my playthroughs.

It can probably be explained by that many AI-factions simply lack the facilities to produce any other agents at the time. Spamming agents of any kind is never good for any faction and the AI never could handle agents properly or sensibly in the first place – so few agents is typically a good thing on general terms.
    Unfortunately, that's not what I encountered. I tried to pull a religion swing in an enemy (coastal) province via massing bishops (I think I had something like 9-10 of them) only to end up spammed with a phenomenal amount of "assassination attempt" messages one turn. My 9-10 bishops got cut down to 2 (and that's with a couple of them surviving the first assassination attempt, so you can pretty much figure out how many assassins the AI piled up in that province). I suspect the assassin problem is caused by the tavern being much cheaper and quicker to build than either the Chancellery (2000 florins, Keep prerequisite) or the Church Lev.3 (a lot of turns and 3500 florins in cumulative costs) so these two end up neglected in favour of a near-monomanical focus on assassins (due to what I suspect are some issues with the AI's construction hierarchy). Also, the AI seems to preferentially target emissaries and priests (princesses not so much, for some reason).

This is a valid point... Obviosly, a previously undetected error and it does need fixing, and I’ll credit you for finding it…. Anyways, spies are enabled via the chancellery and not brothels - this since RXB1003…. Thus, no +1 bonus for ‘em, regardless.
    Indeed, since that +1 bonus gets applied to nobody. Nevertheless, they too should get recruitment valour bonuses (all agents should, in fact, apart for princesses, to whom I don't think you can apply creation bonuses due to their special nature)

Another somehow valid point… Some sea lanes are mislabelled in VI/v.2.01 (using the pop-up menus) and this error shall obviously be fixed in a future patch/release. In the v.1.1 there seems to be no such errors. Now, it’s great that you forward this discovery so I and other can be made aware of it… All the same, I think it is fair to say that it would have been even more helpful if you (or somebody else) could have actually listed or specified here all the mislabelled sea-squares you found faulty in the fist place, the very stuff that made you post about it, don’t you think? Not to mention that you are actually running Redux on a VI/v.2.01-engine – which evidently does matter here – as it turns out that the error in question is actually limited to that version only.
    I went and took a more careful look at the map and have compiled a (partial) enumeration of mislabeled sealanes.

Left is list (army/economic), right is actual map:

Adriatic Sea -> Gulf of Venice;
    Aegean Sea -> Mirtoon Sea;
    Africa Coast -> Gulf of Gabes;
    Atlantic Coast -> Nile Coast;
    Eastern Black Sea -> Adriatic Sea;
    Gulf of Cadiz -> Sea of Crete;
    Gulf of Sidra -> Eastern Black Sea;
    Mirtoon Sea -> Gulf of Sidra;
    Nile Coast -> Eastern Mediterranean;
    Sea of Crete -> Western Black Sea;
    Sea Marmara -> Aegean Sea; (minor typo in the list, should be "Sea of Marmara")
    Western Black Sea -> Sea of Marmara.

Also, I've noticed a couple of typos in unit titles. 'Halbardiers' instead of 'halberdiers' and 'swordmen' instead of 'swordsmen' (unit descriptions aren't affected, just names).
    Last edited by Slowpoke; November 28, 2013 at 05:25 AM.

GeorgiBG's Avatar Miles

Thanks a bunch Georgi, appreciation is always nice… What I don’t get is why you do not go straight for W7 and be done with it? Don’t you have W7? I thought you did. If you do, then what is the fuss about? You can obviously play Redux without bothering with Linux in the first place. What am I missing here?

Essentially, read it all as my way of telling you to be less silent here.
    I have but Im not using it. Also I have a copy of Windows XP SP3 but this stuff is on DVD's only not on HARD disks. Well this is my mini total war with MTW on Wine and we shall see who will be the winner. Im still learning a lot from just using it so someday... And the reason why I prefer Linux - well they are many but for sure not for gaming reasons.

Georgi, do what you must but I totally recommend you to fire up W7 and give the new "RX-supremacy"-campaign
    a spin (if you have not tried it) once I have patched the AI of VI/v.2.01. Which I hope to be soon. Anyways...

Well, there should be the "There are reports of [insert religion here] bandits appearing (gathering? can't remember exact wording) in [insert name here] province" event (more often). Yes, I'm aware they're usually not exceptionally difficult to crush.
    That stuff is related and triggered by high zeal and small provincial-garrisons. Its virtually impossible to trigger that event as long as the player/AI is garrisoning the province seriously or excessively. There are no parameters for increasing the chance of the event as such. The only thing we can manipulate is zeal (and religions spread-levels) – which Redux already does and that across religions – which the raw game never did. Ultimately, increasing the chances for the event to happen (however unlikely for reasons outlined). I won’t change it further. In short, case dismissed…

It might be that ship upkeep (20 florins per galley, 10 per warship) is too low. Not sure about that, though.
    It is always a pain with agents and ships, as there are no clear ways to fully control such stuff in MTW. It’s probably cost-levels more then anything, paired with AI-values, it usually is. Anyways, I’ll have another look at and pray to yummy She-Hulk and maybe I can somehow conjure up a solution to all that...

Unfortunately, that's not what I encountered. I tried to pull a religion swing in an enemy (coastal) province via massing bishops (I think I had something like 9-10 of them) only to end up spammed with a phenomenal amount of "assassination attempt" messages one turn. My 9-10 bishops got cut down to 2 (and that's with a couple of them surviving the first assassination attempt, so you can pretty much figure out how many assassins the AI piled up in that province).
    I'll be honest... You got what you deserved… Had you pulled that stunt on my faction, I would have done exactly what the Redux-AI did – kill your agents/bishops ASAP - and because of the designs in place the “target-faction” in question did have that capacity for eventualities such as that one – which you obviously did not expect. You should not get away with such stuff - not in Redux, and you didn’t - which I totally consider a good thing. Factions often have some 10+ assassins for internal security – as they should have - since there is no building in Redux that truly provides that (this by design and unlike the raw game). Only spies and assassins truly provide that in Redux. Anyways, I fail to see a true problem here, case dismissed…

I suspect the assassin problem is caused by the tavern being much cheaper and quicker to build than either the Chancellery (2000 florins, Keep prerequisite) or the Church Lev.3 (a lot of turns and 3500 florins in cumulative costs) so these two end up neglected in favour of a near-monomanical focus on assassins (due to what I suspect are some issues with the AI's construction hierarchy). Also, the AI seems to preferentially target emissaries and priests (princesses not so much, for some reason)
    Obviously, I don’t share you views on this, as I don’t see the circumstance as a problem but rather a feature that keep players on their toes. Factions should protect their agents! If they don’t, the agents will get killed by enemy assassins - as it should be...

Nevertheless, they too should get recruitment valour bonuses (all agents should, in fact, apart for princesses, to whom I don't think you can apply creation bonuses due to their special nature).
    In short, there will not be additional bonuses for agents in Redux in my designs - save the VI assassin +1 valor bonus already in place. And the game will be healthier because of it. If players want more skilled agents they will have to train them/work for it. Training missions etc. etc. as is the typical circumstance in v.1.1. Essentially, overuled and case dismissed...

I went and took a more careful look at the map and have compiled a (partial) enumeration of mislabeled sealanes.

Left is list (army/economic), right is actual map:

Adriatic Sea -> Gulf of Venice;
    Aegean Sea -> Mirtoon Sea;
    Africa Coast -> Gulf of Gabes;
    Atlantic Coast -> Nile Coast;
    Eastern Black Sea -> Adriatic Sea;
    Gulf of Cadiz -> Sea of Crete;
    Gulf of Sidra -> Eastern Black Sea;
    Mirtoon Sea -> Gulf of Sidra;
    Nile Coast -> Eastern Mediterranean;
    Sea of Crete -> Western Black Sea;
    Sea Marmara -> Aegean Sea; (minor typo in the list, should be "Sea of Marmara")
    Western Black Sea -> Sea of Marmara.
    I appreciate you listing them here, it helps… These were all you found, right? I’ll see to it that these get fixed in future releases and crediting you officially as a “bug-hunter” for it.

Also, I've noticed a couple of typos in unit titles. 'Halbardiers' instead of 'halberdiers' and 'swordmen' instead of 'swordsmen' (unit descriptions aren't affected, just names).
    Noted…. Thanks…. Any other typos/errors/bugs folks, please keep those eyes open and report it so I can log and fix it (assuming it turns out to be valid stuff). Lastly, there is thread elsewhere that deals exclusively with all this kind of stuff, you guys can find it here...

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...post2053563550

- A

Obviously, I don’t share you views on this, as I don’t see the circumstance as a problem but rather a feature that keep players on their toes. Factions should protect their agents! If they don’t, the agents will get killed by enemy assassins - as it should be...

In short, there will not be additional bonuses for agents in Redux in my designs - save the VI assassin +1 valor bonus already in place. And the game will be healthier because of it. If players want more skilled agents they will have to train them/work for it. Training missions etc. etc. as is the typical circumstance in v.1.1. Essentially, overuled and case dismissed...
    Well, it's annoying as poop because I can't get my emissary to conclude a single goddamn treaty before getting assassinated. Also, it makes the pleasure palace useless, since you already have a gajillion other stability buildings. You might as well delete it from the building list.

I appreciate you listing them here, it helps… These were all you found, right? I’ll see to it that these get fixed in future releases and crediting you officially as a “bug-hunter” for it.
    These were all I found so far; haven't extended to the North Sea yet, so I might spot some more further on.
    Last edited by Slowpoke; November 29, 2013 at 11:43 PM.

Well, it's annoying as poop because I can't get my emissary to conclude a single goddamn treaty before getting assassinated.
    Clearly, you are doing something wrong if that is really true - or a constant... If you do nothing, and have zero security or sitting around abroad the emissary will get killed (eventually). If the emissary get killed instantly at home, you should increase your (factions) security as to stop that circumstance. If he get killed while spying on other factions then you can take it as a sure sign that it is not popular move, nor a safe one. If assassins are hunting him - then recall him home for protection a few rounds (and capturing/killing those assassins hunting him). It certainly seems necessary to remind you that this isn't MTW, its Redux, and that means that the circumstances are very different, and much harder and tougher - like essentially everything else in the game. Any expectation for it to be like MTW (in whatever aspect) is usually a mistake.

Now, you had your case reviewed, I did not find the case convincing and compelling enough upon examination to warrant any further action so I dismissed it - that ruling stands. And until you bring some new and fantastic evidence to the table - that changes everything - that ruling is final. If you don't like it or disagree, grab a gnome-editor and change the assassins in whatever way you like on your own.

Also, it makes the pleasure palace useless, since you already have a gajillion other stability buildings. You might as well delete it from the building list.
    Irritated or not... There is no need for brash and arrogant attitude like that. If you can't handle that, I have little possibility or reason to stay friendly here.

These were all I found so far; haven't extended to the North Sea yet, so I might spot some more further on.
    No need, they are all ok from English Channel and up... Thanks anyways...

- A

The RXB1004 VI-upgrade patched!

Alright, the links are up... The VI-upgrade for RXB1004 has been patched (due to previous performance issues), as of today. As to kill confusion and possible screw-ups, I decided to patch the VI-upgrade/"Module B" for RXB1004 directly. I have recalled the first VI-upgrade for RXB1004 as it is now obsolete by definition. All Gold/VI/v.2.01-users are recommended to download the new VI-upgrade and re-install Redux all over and then you folks are good to go with the improved game. It is possible to just install the new "Module B" on top on previous installs BUT there might possibly be anomalies s a result - a fresh re-install is therefore recommended as to minimize such problems.

Overall, the VI-RXB1004e improves AI-performance and fixes some minor previous and detected bugs/errors/typos. It’s labelled “RXB1004e” for distinction in the files whenever relevant. Due to various changes in file-structure, this patched/newer version is not save-game compatible with any previous saves. A new game is also required for it to function. Um, some direct links right here...

http://www.atomicgamer.com/files/106...x-vi-beta1004e

http://www.gamefront.com/files/23893...-Beta1004e.rar

Feel free to post your experiences with and/or comment on the RXB1004e for VI/v.2.01....

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; December 04, 2013 at 12:21 PM. Reason: update

I'd recommend to add another download site to the links. AtomicGamer is good only as a mirror because you have to wait at lest 2-3 mins to start downloading a file. It's a little annoying. Gamefront blocked a lot of countries and many people can't download anything. I live in Poland and I can't even access my own files without VPN/proxy masking my IP. There are a lot of other good files sharing sites like: moddb, mediafire, dropbox, ge.tt to name a few.

Due to various changes in file-structure, this patched/newer version is not save-game compatible with any previous saves. A new game is also required for it to function.

- A
    Ah well, guess it can't be helped, since some environment variables are completely different. I've always wanted to try the Russians...

Oh, and I'll second Stazi's opinion. Gamefront gives me the "File not found" message.

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
    I'd recommend to add another download site to the links. AtomicGamer is good only as a mirror because you have to wait at lest 2-3 mins to start downloading a file. It's a little annoying. Gamefront blocked a lot of countries and many people can't download anything. I live in Poland and I can't even access my own files without VPN/proxy masking my IP. There are a lot of other good files sharing sites like: moddb, mediafire, dropbox, ge.tt to name a few.
    I know, I know.... It sucks, and I have yet to find suitable alternatives ever since Filefront crashed in 2009 (?), and what then became "Gamefront" lost plenty in the resurrection, such as notes, screens etc. And then they banned a bunch of countries just to screw things up even more...

I need a place/host that don't cause to much fuss, don't weird things up, have little or zero maintenance, and do exactly what it is supposed to, download-counters, direct access and all - and leave it at that - without all the usual excess crap. I agree, AtomicGamer is hardly perfect or fast - but - it is highly reliable, essentially permanent and it provides me with full control over files and notes there - and the management there has been very reasonable to this day. That's the why, I eventually in 2009 selected it as my primary host for Redux. I have been considering to also use StrateyInformer for quite some time (since 2012) but I am unsure if you can delete uploads or not there - if you can - then I'll probably use their services for Redux, as well, and possibly leave Gamefront permanently. As it is, I cant tell, and so I still use Gamefront (reluctantly). I just do the game, not hunt around for file-hosts...

You guys are free to create "alternative uploads" of whatever Redux-files, if you think that is any better solution and post up the links here, if you like. Just don't change any files and provide proper credits on the uploads, whenever it is possible to do so, and then I'll be OK with it. It has been done before, so it is possible to do it again.

Ah well, guess it can't be helped, since some environment variables are completely different. I've always wanted to try the Russians...
    As you say... It can't be helped, there was little choice as to achieve what is now gained here. It typically is both unfortunate and regrettable whenever save-game compatibility is lost. I certainly strive to keep it whenever possible, but in order to get various results (for an improved game) one has sometimes little choice but to drop it. Hopefully, you will have much fun with the Russians or any other faction using the RXB1004e-version...

- A

Alright folks, I have created the "RXB1004 Mapfix" the fix is relevant to ALL versions of Redux. The fix corrects/updates the campaign-map on the two missing names that I noticed a few days ago. Again, it works universally on any version, regardless of v.1.1 or VI/v.2.01 as that makes no difference. Download and install at your discretion...

http://www.atomicgamer.com/files/106395/rxb1004-mapfix

http://www.gamefront.com/files/23895...004_Mapfix_zip

- A

A question about the Slavic Raiders: their unit card (in the battle screen) shows them holding a shield (and so does the paperdoll), but the stats screen says otherwise. Is it a bug or some sort of mechanics thing?

Technically, they have and use shield but it's modifier is 0 so it doesn't add any bonus in melee. Maybe it helps against arrows but I'm not sure of it.