Page 14 of 35 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Medieval Total War - Redux (Beta)

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

Default Re: Medieval Total War - Redux (Beta)

Hi again AnthoniusII...

Well, Redux have only had the "RX-Classic"-campaign ever since March 2011, while both domination and glory-mode is possible to play in that campaign (although glory-points will only be granted late in the game).

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    Now Redux plays exelent in W7 64bit.
    Because it's Redux! It's glorious! Seriously, I don't know exactly why RXB1003 run so well on W7 (64bit). It is hard to pinpoint the exact reasons why. In general, I would say it is probably the very heavy use of alternative files that somehow provides this capacity.

Can you sugest anything inorder to make vanilla 2.1 playble in W7?
    Nope, not really... Personally, I have little interest in raw MTW to be honest. I think Redux is just better and more interesting in every regard anyhow. If someone would like to play a certain faction or some such not available in Redux somehow. My advice to people are just to mod Redux instead. Either to include it or to unlock the faction you want to play, or change the startpos file in other regards (this is valid for the v.2.01-engine). It just works and functions better anyways. If any such mod turns out to be good enough for public distribution I might even give it my full support. Anyways, the raw MTW is a just mess all over. Modding Redux somehow does strike me as a better alternative (additional units, factions or whatever people want included/changed. Redux is already designed to cope with such stuff to a limited degree).

Also if you are interesting in unit descr texts and names (at least for the byzantines) i could help.
    The offer is appreciated and I think we could find some stuff that could be improved and have a try at it somehow. Now, I have no plans to change the unit-names in Redux (I prefer it to be simplistic and self-explanatory, as it is) but all the same if you think that some unit descriptions could be improved somehow - I am willing to explore the possibility. In general, if some people want more advanced and intricate unit-names (or something else) in Redux they are free to make it happen on their own. I have no problem with that.

Anyhow, you could try to draft up some 4-5 unit descriptions (some byzantine units for instance) and send them to me via PM and I can have a look at it. Another possible task could be to compile a list of more accurate Byzantine names and surnames. I already did some research on Lithuanian, Norse and Italian names as to keep that more accurate. Why not some proper Byzantine names and surnames as well?

Let me know what you think of this...

--------------------
    EDIT: I guess that it is a "no" then....

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; July 26, 2012 at 10:16 AM. Reason: update...

This is is still going; great stuff.
    falnk with cavlary. stay a way from muder hoels.

I was not able to find a definite answer:
    When installing Redux on a VI2.01 install, can I still play the Viking Invasion campaign?
    The early, high, late era are not available anymore if I remember right?

Hi guys,

Yup Redux is still going in its usual modest pace to eternal glory.... Anyway glad you like it, hopefully others will or do too.

As for the questions, (in order) the definite answers are "nope" and "correct". As of the 3rd ED RXB100x-releases, only the RX-classic campaign, the usual multiplayer mode, quick battles and solo-battles are available. Otherwise the troop roster would really be screwed up (among other things. Technically it is possible to mod things so it all would be possible to do it/play it with a Redux unit-roster, the tech-trees etc. etc.). Anything else, fire away folks...

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; July 26, 2012 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Doom, destruction and ketchup...

Hi folks, a note on the links...

It seems that GameFront-management in their infinite wisdom has screwed up once again and lost all Redux uploads and
    thus people will have too rely solely on the AtomicGamer links for Redux until further notice. I'll try to fix it, possibly put
    up some other uploads elsewhere.

- A

I noticed some links for other mods haven't been working as well. This is probably the worst thing that has happened since megaupload was shut down.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected. - G.K. CHESTERTON

I wouldn't know much about that, sorry... Anyway, the GameFront links for Redux are up and fully operational again...

- A

Icon14 Re: Medieval Total War - Redux (Beta)

Hi folks! Just registered so I'm a total newby

Great work Axalon ! I tryed it this weekend and I was brought back to the delight I felt when I first played MTW. I couldn't play it since I went to W7 since it tended to crash after a score of turns or so, but Redux didn't crash (until now, at least).
    And yes, so far the units available are enough (I only played Holy Roman Empire; I'll try the Poles today).
    Still appreciating how things work, but soon I'll post some comments.

Hello yourself, have your first rep on me (sort of a special shiny welcome bonus )

Nah, if you are running on a V.2.01-engine I think you will see few crashes, Redux has so far been very stable on that (the V.1.1-engine is more moody in general). By all means post away if you want to babble about Redux here - after all - that's why I set up this thread long time ago. You just post, I'll post some right back at you. Then the ball is back to you and so on...

Feel free to share your experiences with Redux (The HRE for instance) and your thoughts on that experience etc. etc. Pics/screens are fine as well if you like (try sticking to 800x600 pixels, if you want to do some of that). I always found such stuff interesting. People seem to play it in different ways all the time, and such info is usually very useful and interesting as it ultimately helps me making it (Redux) better and better in various ways. Plus it is fun to talk about Redux - people talk too little about Redux, me thinks...

Anyway, fire away...

- A

Hi I played this in the past but now after I install the two file groups, one for MTW and other for Viking Invasion-It keeps giving errors like menu missing for the VI version, Pieces agents muslim so on...I think the downloads may be corrupted somehow. I have Medieval Gold Edition.

Hi Ahrens,

It sounds like the manual install-process may have gone wrong somehow. Check out the link below,
    read and follow the instructions closely there (do not deviate at all. See post 23 & 24). After that,
    report back here with the results you get.

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...all-Emergency!

- A

Okay its working good now, thanks for your time.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Hey Axalon...Just checked you update...I will comment when I'll have more time...
    Thanks and congrats...
    See you around mate...

The Bold Burgundian's Avatar Ducenarius

*gallops up on his horse*

HAIL LORD AXALON! How fare thee Redux?

great stuff this redux
    Working great on win 7 and gtx 460.

A ?

Is there a trick to changing unit formation in the battle map?
    Left click and drag does not work for me.(win 7)

Thanks

Gyro

Hi and Xmas all… I’m back, for a while anyhow… How are things faring on this end?

Quote Originally Posted by Greek strategos View Post
    Hey Axalon...Just checked you update...I will comment when I'll have more time...
    Hi man… Yeah, feel free to do that, it could be fun with some game-discussion or some such here… The funny thing is that whenever I try encouraging people to post up either experiences and/or screens on Redux – they categorically won’t do so and it is ironically a sure way to get zero posts here – don’t have clue why it is like that. Well, that is the general experience I had so far here anyways. By all means, feel free to break that trend at any time…

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Pies View Post
    HAIL LORD AXALON! How fare thee Redux?
    Salutations right back at you Pies, anyway… Redux, yeah I have been thinking on what to do in/for RXB1004, what I should include there, what needs to be done etc. In truth I have already made some work on it – been fiddeling with a muslim princess as a bonus material/resource for VI-users. I did some work in Aug and then some this month. Ummm… I will definitely slightly change the campmap to include a sea-square out-side flanders instead of Malta channel. There is more "heat" (ships and movement) in that region and so I think is better to cool it down some with an extra region/square. Maybe I’ll post a screen on it later, I don’t know. The usual bunch of corrections of course. I will also probably change the ships and stuff about that, making fewer ships available because in previous versions there is/was a loop-hole for the player that he/she should not have. If people want a fleet they should pay as much for it as the AI do. On a sidenote, you are the first person to ever reach 10 posts here (save myself of course), did you know that?!?

Any comments (anybody)?

Quote Originally Posted by Gyro View Post
    Is there a trick to changing unit formation in the battle map? Left click and drag does not work for me.(win 7)
    Hi, thanks and welcome Gyro, umm… I’m afraid that this is something on your end – guessing hardware and GFX-divers. I have no such problems at all on either of my 2 rigs (W7 64bit and 2000). Thus I don’t think I can do that much for you on this note. I’m an ATI/AMD man myself. Sorry…

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; December 18, 2012 at 01:11 AM. Reason: She-Hulk wanted it...

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Axalon View Post
    Hi and Xmas all… I’m back, for a while anyhow… How are things faring on this end?

Hi man… Yeah, feel free to do that, it could be fun with some game-discussion or some such here… The funny thing is that whenever I try encouraging people to post up either experiences and/or screens on Redux – they categorically won’t do so and it is ironically a sure way to get zero posts here – don’t have clue why it is like that. Well, that is the general experience I had so far here anyways. By all means, feel free to break that trend at any time… - A
    Hello buddy...Oh you know how it is...not much time to play these days...Work and real life is against our game life sadly...But during holidays I'll try and sneak some time into the Redux, also supporting your efforts and thanks for your interest in our gaming experience...

Been a while since I played
    got it figured,alt left click & drag.

The Norse could use a princess or two also.Or diplomats.
    I'm almost 300 yrs into a Norse campaign and have not a princess born yet.

Gyro

Hi guys and have some more eggnog, mead or something...

Quote Originally Posted by Greek strategos View Post
    Hello buddy...Oh you know how it is...not much time to play these days...Work and real life is against our game life sadly...But during holidays I'll try and sneak some time into the Redux, also supporting your efforts and thanks for your interest in our gaming experience...
    I know, I know... Drop us a post or two on some battle or something if you do get some Redux-time, alright? I mean, this thread is for you guys, not me...

got it figured,alt left click & drag.
    Well, at least the problem seems to be solved, thats a plus anyway...

The Norse could use a princess or two
    Yeah, I know... It sucks... Its a hardcoded engine-thing on VI/V.2.01 and pagans. In V.1.1 it work´s just fine and they get juicy princesses as supposed too, but on V.2.01 all you get is what you have on the first 20 turns. If I could change that, I would.

Or diplomats.
    This is design however (my fault then). Well, I want a special experience, unique to the Norse, thus I designed them differently (as most player-factions are different by design somehow). So all they get is what "the druid" and "the princess" manage to pull off - as in alliances, peace etc. Thus no bribing, no marriage-making, no whatever else "emissaries" can do. Thus the Norse have some diplomatic capacities but they are obviously more limited then other factions. Deliberately. Every factions have advantages and drawbacks - this is obviously one of the drawbacks. They don't have as many kinds of agents available to draw upon as other factions. Reflecting that they are a different culture with different ideas and traditions etc. etc. Something along those lines...

I'm almost 300 yrs into a Norse campaign and have not a princess born yet.
    Well, now you know why (V.1.1 you get the princesses, in VI/V.2.01 you don't due to engine)....

- A

The Bold Burgundian's Avatar Ducenarius

Just some thoughts for next version:

Lombards playable, its an easy change, and as much as i hate those dastardly lombards I decided to edit the txt file and enable them. I'm playing on casual and its a good campaign, i was playing it on hard one time and i ran out of royal blood eventually, but it was nice playing as the backstabbing bastards for once!

Finish the faction descriptions! I could help you if you wanted, you may not gather it from my error riddled posts on here but I'm a good writer

This might take some work, but have random unique portraits like in vanilla, but in your style art. I looked through all the general/king portraits and they are all the same. I could also help with this, I personally just swapped them out for vanilla for the variety and the nostalgia!

You could probably squeeze a faction in or two, though I am aware on your stance on factions, and I agree with it. maybe just enable the unplayable factions save for the pope, after all no one likes the pope!

Take out the inquisitors, I think the starting date is a bit early for them.

More titles, I love the champion titles, and the champion units to endow them upon!

And, this might just be my personal taste but tone down the map just a wee bit, its very bright. I went into photoshop and turned the tone down similar to vanilla, I also removed the province names from the map.

hmmm what else, better units for the muslim factions? Hashashin champion? non-slave champions? I want some heavy armored mother-hubber to slice some infidels too!

But whatever you choose to do I am just glad you are working on the mod!

here's the map im playing with: http://imgur.com/a/rkJb1

edit: map could use some trees too, i could also help with that

also i foudn this startpos bug with the russians: http://i.imgur.com/fWYwb.jpg

they dont own berezan, yet they have a garrison and army there! also they have an empty province that doesnt show up in the map preview.

edit: also enabled portugal in the txt file and found out they cant invade cordoba, armies cant move there but agents can! I think this is a bug but i might be wrong, the Portuguese hates the moors!

OK, figured otu whats causing all these map bugs, its your hotfix for the resolution crack. I reinstalled redux without it and no map bugs.

Also, I revamped the portraits, but there is little to work with. this means all your portraits in you 'extras' section of your downloads are chosen randomly within the game, culture specific and such. but like i said there are only around 15 catholic king portraits, and most of them have long hair, no facial hair. i purpose you make some with short hair and moustaches and such, variety! i can aid you a little in this regard, i have done the grunt work of renaming a LOT of portraits, and put the hero portraits in both the generals and princes folders, but if you could find it in your heart to make MOOOORE! short hair, fat guys, skinny guys! pagan hero portraits fit well for both generals princes and kings, but when i end my turn the portraits all look the same in that little row that shows what faction is going. Another idea to increase variety, kings and princes in noble civilian clothes, this could be easily done by putting crowns on the diplomat/spy portraits!

here's a quick and filthy edit to show you what i mean http://puu.sh/1EdUe

all the best Pies
    Last edited by The Bold Burgundian; December 23, 2012 at 12:14 AM. Reason: map preview & bug and king example