Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Medieval Total War - Redux (Beta)

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

Default Re: Medieval Total War - Redux (Beta)

Hello again folks… As I have plenty to say this time, I’ll split it into
    two posts – if nothing else for the sake of clarity. First up…

----------------------------------------------------------------

Another post (a “sisterpost” if you like to post:213) about the AI of Redux (RXB1002).... This time I have gathered data on the opening moves by the AI - as in the first 10 turns and how that might look like. It may serve as a decent reference on how the AI might expand as the campaign starts. While the info, when compiled like this, is very revealing on what we might expect of the AI - it still does not show every possible rout the AI might take (I have seen many scenarios that are not represented in these 10 reference games). Anyway here it is....

- A

Redux News….

I am currently working on RXB1003 and thus I can now confirm that there will be another Redux-release in 2012. Maybe more, but one thing at a time. I don’t know about release dates at this point – all I can say is that “its on its way”. One thing is certain anyhow - as of RXB1003 - Redux will officially support Windows 7 and that means that folks using (or considering to use) that OS will then be free to try out Redux at will (and from that point I’ll then try the best I can to support people, if problems occur on Redux) – if there previously was any uncertainties due to OS – they are now gone as far as W7 is concerned. I can now fully confirm that running RXB1003 on W7 (and essentially modern hardware) seems to present the game within fully acceptable parameters with only a few small-time anomalies of various kinds that can’t be helped due to the MTW-engine and various drivers (see Redux & W7-thread for details).

As for Windows Vista, that OS will continue to hold the status of “not officially supported”/unconfirmed on Redux, even if I have seen several claims that it too does work with Redux as well. I don’t have any Vista available and thus I can not confirm and check on anything related to it. Regardless, that status will still stand until further notice.

At any rate, what might we expect of the future RXB1003-release then? Here are the things that are already are set to be included in the release – it is possible that there will be even more stuff eventually, time will tell…

• Upgrades on GFX, Burgundy
    • Upgrades on GFX, France
    • Upgrades on GFX, Papacy
    • Upgrades on GFX, Portugal
    • Upgrades on GFX, Russia
    • Upgrades on GFX, interface (various)
    • Upgrades on GFX, units (minor)
    • Upgrades on GFX, Peasant BIF-plate (minor)
    • Upgrades on GFX, models (for improved experience with W7)
    • Upgrades on “battle-animations”, Dragon order knights
    • Upgrades on various files (minor)
    • Russia will be unlocked and be fully playable as an optional faction (officially)
    • Minor adjustments on unit-roster
    • ?

- A

+Mr.Crow+'s Avatar VIVERE MILITARE EST

Will RXB1003 be a stand alone version? or a patch that can be added over RXB1002?
    BELLUM CRUCIS 7.0 Co-Director
    PERSONAL PROJECTS: CSUR || WARWAGON

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprian2 View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, you've done something that CA should have thought of a long time ago. You should be on their pay-roll!

Hello Mr.Crow,

While I certainly do prefer to work with patches as a format of upgrading Redux - experience shows that it is usually a bad idea since that always seems to create a lot of fuss and confusion for some people. The more patches there are, the more people tend to screw things up somehow. Obviously, I want to avoid that as much as possible and so I have come to reluctantly rely on big, complete modules instead, just to minimize the possible of ways that people can screw things up in. Sad but true.... So, distribution-wise, the RXB1003 will thus use the usual complete package/module format. And as always, the specific v.2.01 files will be released in a separate module necessary for ALL VI-/Gold-/Eras-/v.2.01-users due to the overall different file structures in MTW. It will look like this....

• RXB1003...............The standard release (module A). All basic files + v.1.1 specific files only. About 190-250 MB in size depending on compression (Rar/Zip).
    • RXB1003-VI..........The VI-upgrade release (module B). No basic files + v.2.01 specific files only. About 8-12 MB in size depending of compression (Rar/Zip).

These modules will also be able to work as regular patches do - all we need to do is to apply/copy and paste them (as in everything) - and let it/them replace previous RXB1002 install and everything will continue to work just fine. Module A first and when relevant Module B second. Then the existing install of Redux will be upgraded to RXB1003. Obviously these modules can also be applied directly to new fresh installs of MTW as well, either v.1.1 or v.2.01 versions - as usual. Regardless, RXB1003 will be fully save-game compatible to RXB1002 (however any version below that will not work). I always try to have things save-game compatible (when possible), these releases will be no exception to that practice. Also, with the release of RXB1003, the RXB1002-version will be retired from public distribution.

Anything else, fire away folks....

- A

The Bold Burgundian's Avatar Ducenarius

Lookin good! I want it NOWWWWWW!

Yeah very nice!

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Nice info mate...please keep up the good work...

Thanks a bunch guys... And....

The following changes are to be expected with RXB1003....
    • Windows 7 officially supported.
    • Upgrades on GFX, Burgundy.
    • Upgrades on GFX, France.
    • Upgrades on GFX, Papacy.
    • Upgrades on GFX, Portugal.
    • Upgrades on GFX, Russia.
    • Upgrades on GFX, units (minor)
    • Upgrades on GFX, Peasant BIF-plate (minor).
    • Upgrades on GFX, models (for improved experience with W7)
    • Upgrades on GFX, interface & icons (various).
    • Upgrades on GFX, frontend and loadingscreen
    • Upgrades on GFX, various models and textures
    • Campaign/stratmap-texture upgraded.
    • All princess portraits (Catholic, Orthodox and pagan) upgraded to the “2012-paradigm”.
    • Upgrades on “battle-animations”, Dragon Order Knights, Russian Boyars, Slavic Horse Archers, English Knights, Spanish Knights, Frankish Knights and Papal Knights.
    • Russia will be unlocked and be fully playable as an optional faction (officially).
    • Spies returns to Redux, now available via the chancellery-building. “Travellers” are out - the engine could not handle it properly....
    • Minor adjustments on unit-roster.
    • Minor adjustments on buildings/tech-roster.
    • European-editions compatible, French/German/Italian/Spanish-editions. (In English)
    • Low resolution faction-shields fixed. The engine could not handle the colours properly...
    • A few minor bugs and errors killed.
    • Scottish Nobles get their shields.
    • ?

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; April 24, 2012 at 02:39 PM. Reason: update...

GeorgiBG's Avatar Miles

Windows 7? There are CTD's even on XP when Im quiting the game?

Thats great news by the way, for sure I will download this mod. Greetings from Bulgaria man!

Salutations right back at you....

Yup, I can only deny that Redux is working on W7 for so long.... I tested it on several PC's and it works, usually very well at that. Full resolutions, no crashes etc. etc. Only nominal anomalies. It works better on W7 (64bit) then on XP (32 bit) - that's my experience at least. I am certain there is hardware out there that won't play ball but that is usually a matter of drivers. There is little doubt that Redux can and do support the OS as such, including much modern hardware on W7-drives (but not all I imagine).

- A

GeorgiBG's Avatar Miles

For sure I will test it on Win 7 32 bit and later maybe on XP 32 bit.

By the way can you run the game in a window (I forgoted that)?

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

WOOHOO!!!

It's alive!

GeorgiBG's Avatar Miles

By the way how many nations we can expect to see here?

Hi guys… And thanks?

Anyways, I have never used windowed mode – never had any use for it. I don’t know if it is even possible. If it is, I know little about for stated reasons. RXB1003 will have 18 factions + active rebels (as usual). It is better that way. As for explanations of why that is, see next post… The classic “why so few factions”-question…

- A

Alright, I thought it could be interesting to do another take on "old questions, new answers”.
    This time around answered out of a RXB1003-perspective.

---------------------------------------------------------

Q. Why should I try MTW-Redux?
    A. Because you want a different experience, Redux provides that and then some.

Q. Where are all the old troops from MTW?
    A. Nowhere, they were thrown out of Redux…. Redux has it’s own and more advanced troop-roster made from scratch (more detailed and diverse in qualities, ensuring more interesting and dynamic battles)…

Q. Why are there so few factions? I like loads of factions and more variety!
    A. In short, it creates a better and more functional game, and thus ultimately a better game-experience for you as the player of that game… Ironically a more diverse game as well, despite appearances…

Long answer…
    ---------------------
    There are several reasons for it. Experience shows that “fewer” factions means superior AI-performance in general and that each faction included in such circumstances can be made more distinct - thus have more actual meaning within the game. There are only so many ways to distinguish factions on the MTW-engine. Once we exceed the threshold of what the engine can handle in such regards - and the more we do it - each faction loses distinction. Essentially, it becomes an illusion of variety, more or less hollow. Making each faction more and more like copies of other factions. This is in direct conflict with the very concepts of actual diversity.

It is one thing so call something by a new name and quite another to actually have something that is something else due to individual and specific traits that distinguish it. Redux excels in these regards because of the fact that it has fewer factions. Each distinction and trait becomes more important because it is more effective and valid under such circumstances. Redux is made with the doctrine of quality in parts, not quantity. If quantity has to go in order to ensure quality by distinctions and functionality in factions - then so be it.

Besides, fewer factions ultimately mean stronger and thus more dangerous factions, making the overall game-experience and AI-performance more exiting and challenging anyways - even without the enhanced designs that Redux has in place for both AI and factions on this note. This in contrast to a broken functionality due to the weight of too many factions that the engine can’t successfully handle or separate anyways - resulting in regular AI-apathy and passivity (usually due to the lack of strength somehow). Thus we would get poor AI performance and less exiting and entertaining game-experiences because of it. For Redux, it was an easy choice and obviously it was made for the benefit of the player and the overall game-experience…

The irony is that fewer factions, once properly designed, clearly offers more actual diversity and dynamics to a game then a multitude of factions does (which only offers increased levels of standardization - which in turn kills diversity and dynamics. Thus appearances deceive). It all boils down to this, variety or quantity…. As the reality is that the MTW-engine can’t have and handle both when it comes to factions. Redux has gone for variety to ensure quality in the game-experience...

Q. Where are the grand inquisitors and cardinals (and the others)?
    A. Nowhere, they are not included in Redux. They did not have enough purpose in the game to earn a place in Redux and thus were taken out as redundant elements because of it.

Q. Why is there no era-progression in Redux?
    A. It has a history of generating bugs. Besides, Redux is to cool to bother with any silly eras-progression…. Next question….

Q. Where are Malta and Rhodes?
    A. Nowhere, they are not included in Redux….

Q. Where is Switzerland?! I want my Swiss armoured pikemen!
    A. Nowhere, it is not included in Redux…. Relax, pikemen in Redux is just as good or better in every aspect…. For optimal pikemen, play HRE….

Q. Are all landbridges removed in Redux?
    A. Many of them are… The only ones left are Denmark-Sweden, Cordoba-Morocco, Sicily-Naples and Sardinia-Corsica…

Q. Why are all generals, helmeted knights? (Norse – warriors?)
    A. That is part of the customization aspects of Redux. They are essentially numbered placeholders, ready to be changed at the player’s discretion, either by the pre-made stock-portraits done for Redux or something you done yourself. All stock-portraits are found in the included the “Redux Bonus Materials” - as is the instructions on how this is exactly done (and sets of backup placeholder-portraits are also included). Basically, players can at any time personalize their “fave” general(s) by selecting and applying such stock-portraits into the game, according to personal preference.

Q. Are the campaign-map changed? Any extra provinces in Redux?
    A. Yes, both the map, provinces and the connectivity between provinces has been re-drawn and changed all over. This to generate better circumstances, game-flow and AI-performance out of the game - all over. No additional extra-provinces have been added due to limitations of the v.1.1-engine. The raw tax-value of the Redux-map is 30.000 fl. MTW got about 32.000+ fl. in raw tax-value on the same amount of provinces. So, Redux has fewer florins assigned to it. You were not supposed to swim in florins anyways, at least not without having to work and fight for it. You know, florins are supposed to be precious somehow….

Alright, enough of that… Further questions or comments can be posted here at any time.

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; April 27, 2012 at 11:32 AM. Reason: She-Hulk!

To the wall with the filthy Lombards!
    T.W.C.
    Total War Cynics

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Pies View Post
    To the wall with the filthy Lombards!
    So true. They have been the bane of many a campaign.

Looking forward to the upcoming release, Axalon. I've quite enjoyed the earlier versions (and I've been playing 1002 for some time). One thing I'd love to see is the Hungarians playable... But the Russians will do for now.

Anyway, all the best now that you're in the home stretch.

EDIT: I gather the Hungarians aren't playable in order to keep compatibility with 1.1... Could you make an exclusive patch for VI users?
    Last edited by Cyprian2; April 24, 2012 at 09:18 AM.

Hi guys....

But the Russians will do for now.
    You know, making the Russians a playable faction was actually my original plan from day 1 (it pretty much shows in the designs for 'em), however due to various engine-weirdness I had to kill that idea because the anomalies was totally unacceptable to me. It is with much joy I can finally say it has been worked out (not really sure what exactly I did to fix it, but eventually it was fixed all the same) and the Russians are now 100% operational in RXB1003 - no anomalies, both in v.1.1 and VI/v.2.01 alike. Which basically was the condition for unlocking them as an optional faction in Redux.

EDIT: I gather the Hungarians aren't playable in order to keep compatibility with 1.1...
    Very true... Hardcoded...

Could you make an exclusive patch for VI users?
    Nope, I won't... But, you could... I got no problems with that, as in you (or somebody else inclined) made such a mini-mod for Redux, the "hungarian mini-mod" or whatever. Essentially unlocking the Hungarians and making them playable in Redux for VI/v.2.01-players exclusively. It is very easily done. The Hungarians are 100% operational in VI - if the startpos file is changed (otherwise crash). Essentially, change the faction standing from "minor" to "major" and you basically are done (roughly 2 minutes worth of work. If you want to go for luxury, you can even throw in a faction-description, but that takes more work obviously)... If you do that and then upload it to the public (here or at the ORG, or both) - you will have my support. That is the best I can do for you on this note...

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; April 25, 2012 at 10:01 AM. Reason: update...

Alright the links are up...

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; April 24, 2012 at 02:42 PM. Reason: update...

Downloading NOW!!!
    T.W.C.
    Total War Cynics