Thread: Medieval Total War - Redux (Beta)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

Default Re: Medieval Total War - Redux (Beta)

A mighty post there Pies, and a happy new year to all... Now, even if I - due to various reasons - disagree with or
    remain sceptical to plenty of it, thanks for your thoughts and the post all the same. This place would be better off
    if we had more of those, or so I believe...

I'll edit in some replies and comments for you later on (when time allows)...

EDIT:
    ----------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Pies View Post
    Lombards playable, its an easy change…
    I won’t make any such changes in order to keep Redux the same on all versions, for that very reason. It would only work 100% in the VI/V.2.01 but not in V.1.1 and thus it is a no-go for me… Everybody should be able to play standard Redux in the same way, regardless what version they have at home (there obviously are people using V.1.1 - some 40% roughly - and I won't leave them behind as others have). I won’t abandon that doctrine on Redux. As usual that doesn’t mean that others could not do “inofficial”/alternative versions with all or some such stuff, if they like…

Finish the faction descriptions! I could help you if you wanted, you may not gather it from my error riddled posts on here but I'm a good writer
    Yup, that would be good. I basically thought that nobody cared much and so it has been a low priority for me so far. Obviously, I will include descriptions again at some point. I’ll consider your offer once I have determined and standardized what the descriptions should look like. Or, you could do some for your own use in the mean time (possibly for locked factions?) – and if you think they are good enough you could upload it for others as well. Just an idea…

This might take some work, but have random unique portraits [for kings] like in vanilla, but in your style art.
    I doubt I will ever go there, as I want the customisation mode style/solution already in place for Redux – this since day 1 – as already outlined in the Redux readme, customization section. You (seem to) prefer the raw MTW solution, as in totally randomized portraits – while I don’t. Again, you can upload the edited/remixed stuff you already done on that thus making it available for others with the same preference. I can even archive the stuff over at Atomic Gamer, thus making sure that the files won’t disappear but remain available for the people so inclined. Just saying. I don’t think I can do much better then that on this specific note.

You could probably squeeze a faction in or two, though I am aware on your stance on factions, and I agree with it. maybe just enable the unplayable factions save for the pope, after all no one likes the pope!
    Redux don’t need another faction. I have already explained the reasons why. In addition, Redux and its factions functions better then any stuff with 5 tons of factions (no names mentioned). They are stronger and more active – and distinct – and this partly because there is not too many of them (general designs obviously is another factor as well). Still, you could always attempt making that submod for Redux, unlocking all factions save the Pope for VI/V.2.01. I see no problems in that. It is a possible path to get the result you are suggesting here (unlocking and even possibly including some completely new factions). I doubt I will stop such a project if it ever happened.

Take out the inquisitors, I think the starting date is a bit early for them.
    The inquisitors stay for several reasons. Anyway, don’t take the “timeline” 700-1230 AD too seriously. Consider it as plain turns instead and some undefined medieval setting, not some historic and specific period – MTW and Redux will otherwise always fail to meet any such expectations. MTW never was a historical game to begin with, neither is Redux, as neither could ever seriously handle such a task due to the engine (the same can be said for any TW). If I could, would make a permanent change as to just display “turns” instead of “years”. However it seem very hard, if not impossible to start at “1” and have a fully functional, non-screwed up game - thus I had to abandon that plan. And the point of "turns" seems lost if we start the game in say “turn 200” or something. Anyway, it is basically only the papacy that employs inquisitors aside of the player (this by conscious design). If you still want them gone anyway, you can always remove them yourself.

More titles, I love the champion titles, and the champion units to endow them upon!
    Well, I see no immediate need for further titles (and I have few good ideas left for it) and so it is unlikely that I will include more of that. If you have ideas on this, by all means feel free to forward it, the worst that can possibly happen here is that I say “no”…

EDIT II:

And, this might just be my personal taste but tone down the map just a wee bit, its very bright. I went into photoshop and turned the tone down similar to vanilla, I also removed the province names from the map.
    It’s possible… At any rate, I don’t want it to be similar to the greyish vanilla map-style as that is unkind to the eyes and makes me more tired while looking at it – really. Redux-style - apart from being generally sexier to me - is kinder to the eyes and I don’t get as tired when looking at it, which to me is desireable. I don't think I will do much on this note, sorry... As ever, players of Redux are free to edit their personal copy of the map-texture to whatever brightness and saturation-levels they like. Even remove the province names – whatever good that stunt will do? …?...

edit: map could use some trees too, i could also help with that
    First, I really do appreciate the offer - but - the reality is that I don’t want any trees anywhere, because I believe they screw up the map. I want clean and clear maps. Trees works against that, ultimately cluttering the map resulting in less clean and clear maps, and so I ruled against trees and such back in 2010, so I removed it all together in the new RXB100x of 2011 and beyond. MTW2 is even worse then MTW1 on this, even more cluttered and unclear map. That is not, what such a map should look like – if it is ever up to me. The map is there for overview and orientation, cluttering it somehow works against that. Anyway, players of Redux are free to edit their personal copy of the map-texture in whatever way they like – if the results are good upload and share it with other likeminded people (ultimately presenting an actual option for the people so inclined)…

hmmm what else, better units for the muslim factions? Hashashin champion? non-slave champions? I want some heavy armored mother-hubber to slice some infidels too!
    Better Muslim units? How so? I mean, as far as I can tell (and I have actually tested this multiple times) the Muslim factions have all the units they ever need in order to be fully successful against any other faction in battle – this with little exception (this at full tech capacity, there is nothing they can’t beat on 1 on 1 matchups – save royal spearmen, as a possible potential exception to this reality - as I said - I have tested this extensively). In addition, they already have 2 champions. Many (if not all) Catholic factions have 2 as well (of different kinds at times and I think only Spain have 3 by standard means), the Orthodox factions has one standard champion/hero-unit each (unique for each faction). As for heavy armor stuff, considering the terrain they usually operate in – as in hot, arid areas and deserts – heavy armor is hardly optimal for that and this reality shaped their typical traditions of war and that is reflected in the units they get in Redux. They have as a result few heavily armoured units so they can indeed operate more successfully in the terrains they are arguably expected to operate in...

Anyway, I’m happy to hear more ideas on units - but - try to come up with stuff that are A: clearly can be argued warranted somehow, B: has not been covered already somehow in tactical capacity or have a interesting niche that is yet to be filled (or poorly covered) in the unit-matrix, C: is practically possible without 6 tons additional work (think GFX and animations for instance). If you or anybody has such ideas, by all means let’s hear them and what GFX to use on it etc. As it is, I just don’t really see that, so far, in your suggestion here. If it is, then you will have to sell it better somehow and make me a believer in it as well - then the chances of future inclusions in Redux become far more likely as a result.

also i foudn this startpos bug with the russians: http://i.imgur.com/fWYwb.jpg

they dont own berezan, yet they have a garrison and army there! also they have an empty province that doesnt show up in the map preview.

And...

OK, figured otu whats causing all these map bugs, its your hotfix for the resolution crack. I reinstalled redux without it and no map bugs.
    Screens are good, always use screens, it makes everything easier, so that’s good. Anyway, that’s just a manual install error, you need to apply the included “lbm”-file in my hotfix, and once that is done successfully, all your problems on this will disappear.

edit: also enabled portugal in the txt file and found out they cant invade cordoba, armies cant move there but agents can! I think this is a bug but i might be wrong, the Portuguese hates the moors!
    See previous answer… And yes, the Portuguese sure hate the Moors, always have. The Moors aren’t much friendlier back either. This is a well established and very common conflict in Redux, due to design in large part. Just as the Lombards and Italians, England and France, Saracens and Byzantium etc. etc. It is due to Redux-designs in large part.

EDIT III:

Some final notes on portraits of Catholic kings, princes and generals (which are what this is about, as I understand it)…. Kings need 50 portraits to function 100% within the game without any sort of fuss. Redux has 15 stock alternatives made by me, thus you need 35 to get a fully functional game with the randomness you want. I won’t do it but it is very possible to get there – and you have already started it seems, thus pick your 35 best remixed/edited portraits and add my 15 and you got your 50 random king portraits. As for princes, the game don’t use them so you can ignore princes altogether as they will never show up in the game anyway. Then there was the generals, the game needs a minimum of 24 (and has a max of 57) portraits to be 100% functional without fuss. Now I have made, if we include everything in “RX template_Factions” (20 portraits), “RX template_Orders” (6 portraits) and “RX stock_Heroes” (32 portraits) a total of 58, which means that Redux already have the capacity to fill the generals section to max capacity if so desired – thus no or little work is needed for the achieving full random portraits on that note – this with the RX-stock portraits already included.

At any rate, kings in Redux are never fat or skinny – ever – they are constantly “royally athletic” as to remain properly majestic and impressive. It’s stylized and unreal. It’s just like the Marvel/DC notion on superheroes that has found its way to Redux because I can’t help myself. I like it and think it’s cool. Just as I think it cool to have needlessly sexy and yummy princesses everywhere in Redux (which also totally unreal - but yummy). If that is wrong somehow then I don't want to be right...

Well Pies, there you have it... I would love to throw some rep your way - for trying to help out and your general input - but as I am to poor at spreading it around, it is a no go... Sorry for that.

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; January 11, 2013 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Mo stuff...