Page 1 of 35 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: Medieval Total War - Redux (Beta)

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

Icon2 Medieval Total War - Redux (Beta)

This is a BETA-version of new Redux (Medieval Total War-Redux 3rd Edition) as such not everything is carved in stone yet, however most things seem to be settled at this point. Anyhow, it requires the original MTW game in order to run - as in the V 1.1 version or with the compatibility-module it can also run on VI/V 2.01 versions – the game and experience is the same. To install Redux you first set up a clean install of MTW somewhere and then properly patch it up to either V1.1 or VI/V2.01 – once that is done you THEN copy/paste over Redux on top of MTW, standard package first and VI-module last… If done this way, Redux should work just fine.

The primary campaign in this version of Redux is “RX-classic”, a scenario which offers a campaign spanning from 700-1260 AD – in total 560 turns. 11 out of 18 factions are playable in it along with unruly rebels and pirates as well. The overall goal is total supremacy over Europe, North Africa and the Middle East, either by achieving 60% or a 100% domination of all provinces. The means for achieving this goal are troops, ships and agents, and yet more of the same. Development and a functional economy are key-factors for survival on the road to glory - without it you will surely perish. Anyhow, please report in bugs, typos and anomalies if you encounter any.

Mod Name: Medieval Total War – Redux
    Mod Version: Open Beta 1007
    Language: English (Multi edition compatibility, European editions)
    Terms of Use: Restricted material. Personal Use Only ...
    Size: Zipped 273MB/Uncompressed 395MB
    Compatibility: All major versions. Medieval Total War v1.1 or VI/v2.01 using the VI-upgrade module, see below...
    Operating System: 2000/XP/W7*/W10* (* with Steam)
    Hardware: see “Redux_ReadMe1007.txt”-file, virtually everything else is “try and find out” essentially.
    Description: see above...
    Credits: see “Redux_ReadMe1007.txt”-file, credits section…
    Download Links:

Download primary:
    http://www.gamefront.com/games/medie...ux-beta1007zip

Download reserve:
    http://www.moddb.com/games/medieval-...ux-beta1007zip

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the VI-upgrade BETA module, as such it makes Redux compatible with the Steam/Gold/VI/V2.01 versions of MTW. At this point it does not bring any “extra features” to the game-experience which is thus nearly identical to the standard version of Redux. This is still a beta so it is possible it may contain some minor errors here and there. Anyhow, please report in any bugs, typos and other errors if you encounter any. All MTW-Steam users must also use this upgrade (no exceptions). Finally, the VI-upgrade is as of now included in the standard Redux package directly (as a separate folder named "Redux - VI-UPGRADE"). It is no longer available as a separate download.

Module Name: Redux VI-upgrade
    Module Version: Open Beta 1007
    Language: English (Multi edition compatibility, European editions)
    Terms of Use: P.U.O, Personal Use Only, thus it is restricted material.
    Size: Zipped 0 MB/Uncompressed 0 MB
    Install: VI-upgrade must be installed after the standard package.
    Operating System: 2000/XP/W7*/W10* (* with Steam)
    Compatibility: Medieval Total War V2.01 only. (Steam-, patched Eras- and Gold-editions included).
    Credits: see “Redux_ReadMe1007.txt”-file, credits section…
    Download Links:

Download primary:
    The VI-upgrade is included as a separate folder in the RXB1007-package...

Download reserve:
    The VI-upgrade is included as a separate folder in the RXB1007-package...

Some demo-screens of new Redux...

Demo01

Demo02

Demo03

Demo04

Apart from this regular TWC Redux-thread there is an entire sub-forum over at this place dedicated for Redux and discussions about it. Any interest, discussion and questions can be posted right here or in that external sub-forum – at your discretion. The direction of topics is limited to the framework of Redux but beyond that it is up to you guys where the focus ends up. The intensity and traffic-levels here is also up to you people – not me (the more posts and traffic, the more probable it is that I will be around here regularly). After all, this thread is for you guys! Well that's about it.

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; November 17, 2022 at 03:36 PM. Reason: update

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

Default Re: Medieval Total War Redux 1.0 available....

Wow, looks pretty good. The only gripe I have about it at first sight is the small amount of playable factions

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

Looks good, might try once I buy an old PC.

Again, well done, Axalon! I may actually have to try this out, assuming I can find time to play (currently have a Shimazu campaign running in Shogun).

Quote Originally Posted by therussian View Post
    Wow, looks pretty good. The only gripe I have about it at first sight is the small amount of playable factions
    It looks to me like there's around 16 playable factions. You consider that a small amount?
    Last edited by Martok; September 07, 2008 at 11:19 PM.
    "Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." - Pascal

Updated....
    ================

Hi and thanks guys...

the Russian: well um, this is sort of connected to the fact that redux was originally made for MTW version 1.1. Because of various hardcoded problems with the original game, I did for different reasons rule out the possibilities to play the Russian, Norse, Lithuanian, Saracen and Portuguese factions (originally my plan was to include the Russians and Norse as well as player factions but hardcoded-errors killed that idea for me). Since I personally did not found these various problems to be acceptable, so that’s the primary reason for me to limit the playable factions as far as default setting goes. However, Martok is quite right; you could always tinker your way up to 16 playable factions if you at the same time can accept those problems I stated earlier.

Lombardy, Hungary, Aragon and Burgundy should run with no or little problems. They should be stable and are basically without any problems that I know of at least. But you won’t get any proper campaign intro text for either of them (since I have not written any such thing in these cases). But if you can manage to live without that, the door is wide open for you (and everybody else interested in such things) to fix it so can play “minors” in your personal game. Redux is supposed to function as a platform for you to easily customise your own personal game (it might very well be the first of its kind in that regard as far as MTW goes. However, I don’t have any certain data here so I can’t assure you that this is the case. Someone else might have beaten me to it, frankly I don’t know). I can only hope that you and many more try redux out some day.

EDIT:
    --------------------
    In RXB1003, both the Russians, Norse and Saracens are available as optional factions - and fully playable and functional 100% on ALL engines - both v.1.1 and VI/v.2.01 alike...

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; April 27, 2012 at 01:37 PM. Reason: clean up & update...

Quote Originally Posted by Martok View Post
    It looks to me like there's around 16 playable factions. You consider that a small amount?
    I'm just used to XL with it's....however many factions it has. Don't mind me.

Axalon: Oh, I didn't see that part where it said that it was built off of MTW, and not VI

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

Updated....
    ================

Hello again,

Quote Originally Posted by therussian View Post
    I'm just used to XL with it's....however many factions it has.
    Answer....

Quote Originally Posted by Axalon View Post

Q. Why are there so few factions? I like loads of factions and more variety!
    A. In short, it creates a better and more functional game, and thus ultimately a better game-experience for you as the player of that game… Ironically a more diverse game as well, despite appearances…

Long answer…
    ---------------------
    There are several reasons for it. Experience shows that “fewer” factions means superior AI-performance in general and that each faction included in such circumstances can be made more distinct - thus have more actual meaning within the game. There are only so many ways to distinguish factions on the MTW-engine. Once we exceed the threshold of what the engine can handle in such regards - and the more we do it - each faction loses distinction. Essentially, it becomes an illusion of variety, more or less hollow. Making each faction more and more like copies of other factions. This is in direct conflict with the very concepts of actual diversity.

It is one thing so call something by a new name and quite another to actually have something that is something else due to individual and specific traits that distinguish it. Redux excels in these regards because of the fact that it has fewer factions. Each distinction and trait becomes more important because it is more effective and valid under such circumstances. Redux is made with the doctrine of quality in parts, not quantity. If quantity has to go in order to ensure quality by distinctions and functionality in factions - then so be it.

Besides, fewer factions ultimately mean stronger and thus more dangerous factions, making the overall game-experience and AI-performance more exiting and challenging anyways - even without the enhanced designs that Redux has in place for both AI and factions on this note. This in contrast to a broken functionality due to the weight of too many factions that the engine can’t successfully handle or separate anyways - resulting in regular AI-apathy and passivity (usually due to the lack of strength somehow). Thus we would get poor AI performance and less exiting and entertaining game-experiences because of it. For Redux, it was an easy choice and obviously it was made for the benefit of the player and the overall game-experience…

The irony is that fewer factions, once properly designed, clearly offers more actual diversity and dynamics to a game then a multitude of factions does (which only offers increased levels of standardization - which in turn kills diversity and dynamics. Thus appearances deceive). It all boils down to this, variety or quantity…. As the reality is that the MTW-engine can’t have and handle both when it comes to factions. Redux has gone for variety to ensure quality in the game-experience...

That should cover it from a RXB1003-perspective...

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; April 27, 2012 at 01:53 PM. Reason: clean up & update...

Well, either way, I'll definitely try it out soon. I'm currently hooked on Roma Surrectum for RTW, but I have a feeling that I'll be jonesin for some MTW soon, so I'll give Redux a spin.

Some Redux news then….

I have set a formal deadline for the release of the “official” redux VI-upgrade 1.0 (currently its just a beta available). It’s October 1st, possibly even sooner but it is my goal to have it out no later then that. When it is released, all bugs and errors so far will have been fixed with it (as far as it is possible, the clone-bug is the special exception since it is most likely hardcoded and thus I can’t do anything about it). Which means that all fixes for VI/2.01 will become obsolete and I will probably remove them from filefront after the release of VI-upgrade 1.0.

While looking into the future, after the VI-upgrade release I will probably put together the first patch for redux. Mainly making the MTW V.1.1 version of redux to catch up with most of the changes already done or on their way for the VI/2.01-version and incorporate the various fixes already charted for that version. Thus even stuff out between the versions for V1.1. and VI/2.01. After all it is supposed to be the same game/mod (almost at least). Maybe I will put in some additional “quick battles” and maybe some other things as well, we’ll see. I guess that this will happen a few weeks after the release of VI-upgrade 1.0.

- Cheers
    Last edited by Axalon; April 27, 2012 at 01:39 PM. Reason: clean up...

Hound of Ulster's Avatar Senator

This does look really promising, but the multiple eras does give you a lo t of flexiability in terms of units and the like.
    'Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War' Plato

'Killing is Negotiating' A militiaman in 'Blackhawk Down'

Prince_of_Macedon's Avatar Πρίγκηψ της Μακεδονίας

The mod screenshots look really excellent, Axalon. Welcome to the forums by the way.
    HOW TO PLAY EMPIRE TOTAL WAR OFFLINE

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Watch my online-commentary battles here
    Under the Patronage of Hader

Hello there Prince of Macedon and Hound of Ulster,

I’m glad that you guys like what you seen so far, if you guys could just excuse me for a short moment….

----------
    ----------

....dear average TWC reader,

I realize that Rome and M2TW is the big thing here at the TWC, and all that is excellent, fine and ok. But, if you are reading this my guess is that you have a copy of MTW somewhere (because the thread title alone probably acts as filter here). I am even so bold that I presume that you might even (still) like that game to some extent. If so, allow me to just say this;

the only thing redux will ever cost you, is your attention and some 20-30 min of waiting for the download(s). That’s it! And it is compatible with all the usual versions of MTW so it won’t matter which version you got. Since it’s quite different from the original game it might very well offer you some new fun for a few months to come. Now, is that potential prospect not worth a try?!?

The most disastrous scenario that could ever happen to you for actually doing this is that you don’t like the game and you have to uninstall it. End of story and redux will probably not trouble you ever again.

Now, there also the possibility that “you” might actually like it and it is the other way around. If so, then perhaps there are stuff that you have questions about, maybe you just want some tips and hints on things or you might just want to share your experience with redux with others. Now, if there are anything, something that is even remotely connected to the mentioned examples above or something else that warrants a post by all means feel absolutely free to post here in this very thread.

My guess is that it would be especially interesting if you had actually played some redux as well when you do post stuff here (it’s not necessary but it probably would be advantagous). Not just for me, but everybody. Also let make this perfectly clear to everybody, it does not have to be me who answers or help out a fellow redux player all the time, if you have some discoveries, insights and answers for posted questions, share them! And if it just happened to be wrong sometime, it is not the end of the world. We get it sorted out! And as far as I can tell, this is the right place to do it in!

Finally and most importantly, let me also once more repeat what said in my very first post here. I would love to have a live and kicking redux-thread going here at the TWC, but I can’t make it happen on my on (cause the administrators would have me thrown out of here for “double-posting” before I could even say “earl grey”). So… What do you say dear average TWC reader; how about we all give this thread another try? As in making it a bit more active?!?

All of this is of course is just a humble little suggestion of mine….

Regards,

Yours truly, redux maker.

----------
    ----------

...As I was saying, glad to hear you guys like the redux stuff here. Now, I take it that the TWC don’t have an introduction area for new members, or have I missed it?

Prince of Macedon: Perhaps you could give me some directions if there is one? I would be delighted to properly introduce myself here at the TWC, if that is indeed possible. At any rate, thanks for the welcome man. Oh, and one more thing, whats all this rep-stuff? I mean, it seems like I can pump up my very own rep all by myself on this very thread?!? I have not done so, but certainly seems like I could and I get the feeling that this was not the intended idea now was it? Could you shed some light on this for me?

Hound of Ulster: Well, you certainly have a point. And right you are, I can’t argue with that, but the way I see it, there are some other factors involved here as well. Here are some of them:

1. Quantity of various troops does not in any way guarantee or secures neither a good game nor a good experience of it.
    2. The risk of several troops to overlapping each other in capabilities, essential functions and purposes in the game increases for each new troop you put in there. Personally I’m not that excited about such prospects.
    3. The risk of troops being poorly balanced (overpowered or underpowered) increases for each new tactical unit included in the game. This of course is always a risk, but it undoubtedly it gets bigger with more troops involved.
    4. With the era-progression the risk potential bugs increases.

All this is strictly seen from the player end of things…. If we also look upon it from “the other side” as in the designers perspective, all of the above is still valid, but there are other “new” factors as well involved here. This is stuff that most players usually don’t care or think about.

Let’s start by talking GFX for a while: If we presume that the bif-plates are already made, which usually is the case (also for redux), and we create our new unit upon that, the shear work it involves better be worth it. It better be a kick ass troop and this truth becomes ever clearer for each new unit you do. From a GFX perspective you are stuck with an essential minimum of 1 rev-pic, 1 info-pic, 1 LBM-uniticon at least (you could have new shields and weaponry as well, and that won’t make things any easier). If you do it once it’s not a major problem. If you do 10 times it certainly becomes one. 100 is simply a nightmare, believe me I’m taking from experience here. I have done about 200 of each at least. It is not than fun after a while. Oh, yes you could re-use and scavenge of on existing material absolutely. But in many cases they are not the sort of thing you had in mind for the unit, are they? Limited cloning or double-using existing GFX-stuff is fine ok, no problem. But doing that on a grand or excessive scale? Suffice to say, I am not talking here on the behalf of those who do such things…. So much for GFX.

What about; unit design, balancing and purpose with the tactical unit? This is at any minimum standard time consuming, even if the result is shear crap. Regardless, how does your new unit stand with all the other already existing units in the overall unit-grid? Is the new unit warranted in that sense? Or is it just more of the same with a different name?!? You might get away with that a few times but not much more than that. At least that’s the way I see it. And another thing, which elements should you use in your units-cost formula? Does it work with the game as a whole? Or do you just improvise a set value that seems to be reasonable? Will really that work (off you go to test it then…)?

How about the dreary coding and writing a fancy catchy description for the tactical unit in question? Once ok, no problem…. 10… You get my drift here. How about the spelling in you new description, are everything correct (I am still not certain with all of it in redux for instance)?

There are probably other things as well, but I think my point being clear enough by now. There simply is a lot of work involved for each new unit and I have many times made the mistake of doing a new unit just to realize that it was not warranted (this of course after a lot of various work was already done, GFX-wise or whatever). Pouring in new troops is easier said than done, and more importantly will any of these new troops be warranted in regards to already existing units in the overall unit-grid? My experience is that after a while it becomes more and more “no” and less and less “yes”.

I Hope all this shed some additional light for you on this issue, at any rate this is how I see these things.

Now, Hound of Ulster and Prince of Macedon, I hope I will see you guys around here more and feel free to try redux out.

Cheers and lets have change here!
    ----------
    Hey russian dude! Your signature is that not a Miles Davis pic? Off-topic, but none the less...
    Last edited by Axalon; September 18, 2008 at 12:01 AM.

I love the character portraits.

Yeah, It's signature I made out of B!tches Brew

If someone convinces me this mod is better than XL + Tyberius, I'll give it a go.
    falnk with cavlary. stay a way from muder hoels.

Hi there guys,

Armatus: It’s a start! Not much to go on here thou, but it’s a start none the less. Well, what can I say, it makes happy that you do, I do too… No surprises so far then I quess. Now, which version are you running? Could you reveal which faction you are playing? Any favourite unit so far? Which difficulty level are you playing on? How many turns/years have you played so far? Is there any kind of portrait-category you in general like the most? Spies? Inquisitors? Heroes? Druids? Or perhaps the “redux girls” in the princess department? Just curious here. Perhaps you could share some of these things with the rest of us? I’m just doing some light brainstorming here to give you and everybody else some further suggestions on what might be interesting and fun stuff to discuss and post in here. I hope I will see you around here more and feel free to post in questions and such (or anything on the stuff I suggested above).

The Russ: Hey man, do you realize that you are the only one who had the guts to post twice in this thread so far? He he! Anyways, is there any redux time on the menu soon?!? Are you content with the Romans for now?

(I thought it might be, it’s 10000 years ago I heard it myself, I’m kind of into the jazzrock thing (among other stuff) and that album is by many regarded as milestone in that area (so they say), although I don’t have it myself. Is Miles Davis a favourite of yours?)

Dodge: ...How about yourself? I believe you can find everything you need for the matter in post 1, 7 and 12 once you have read them again, you can decide what to do from there. Try to convince yourself or stroll back to safe ol’ XL-bliss? Personally I am a bit curious on how you can be so sure of the XL-superiority even before you have ever tried or checked out the alternatives first. Ah well, maybe it’s just me…? :

- Cheers
    ----------
    I have put up a temporal thread-header-pic now, maybe I change it to something else later, we’ll see….
    Last edited by Axalon; April 27, 2012 at 02:16 PM. Reason: clean up...

I didn't mean it like that, but it is a right pain in the arse to install/reinstall isn't it?

No doubt I'll get round to playing redux at some point though, I'm just wondering in which ways is it better than XL + Tyberius as I'm very much into a Byzantium campaign at the moment.
    falnk with cavlary. stay a way from muder hoels.

Quote Originally Posted by Axalon View Post
    Hi there guys,

Armatus: It’s a start! Not much to go on here thou, but it’s a start none the less. Well, what can I say, it makes happy that you do, I do too… No surprises so far then I quess. Now, which version are you running? Could you reveal which faction you are playing? Any favourite unit so far? Which difficulty level are you playing on? How many turns/years have you played so far? Is there any kind of portrait-category you in general like the most? Spies? Inquisitors? Heroes? Druids? Or perhaps the “redux girls” in the princess department? Just curious here. Perhaps you could share some of these things with the rest of us? I’m just doing some light brainstorming here to give you and everybody else some further suggestions on what might be interesting and fun stuff to discuss and post in here. I hope I will see you around here more and feel free to post in questions and such (or anything on the stuff I suggested above).

Oh sorry to give you the wrong impression. I just found this thread yesterday and I noticed the preview pictures above with the princesses. I thought those were nice. I don't even have M1 installed, but if this is a really good mod I may, just may try to squeeze in time to reinstall good old MTW

Hello again,

Armatus: Ah well, stuff like that happens.... However, I must admit that I am little disappointed, not on you specifically or personally, but on the hole thing. I have had the redux release announced about 2 weeks ago here at the TWC and so far none have successfully posted in that the game even works (I already know that of course, but as minimum sign that at least someone have bothered to actually try to install the game... If you know what I mean). It almost feels like people are a bit afraid of posting here. Yeah yeah, I guess I'll continue my dreary wait for someone who has actually tried redux then....

Dodge: "I didn't mean it like that”.

Maybe you didn’t, but it sure sounded that way. And if you don’t want that kind of responses you should take time to be more careful how you phrase things and think twice about on how it might be perceived (I have done this mistake myself plenty of times).
    And a simple “hi” wont kill you either I think.

At any rate, I won’t tolerate such stuff, nor do I deserve such things in this thread. Redux is free and utterly voluntary to play, and you and everybody else should rejoice because you guys just got yet an other major alternative to the original game, and “you” have not even had to do something for that reality to happen, it just did anyway and its free of charge! - If someone doesn’t want it, just stay clear from this thread and that’s the end of it.

“I'm just wondering in which ways is it better than XL + Tyberius”

I will have none of this!!! Both I and VikingHorde along with a few others have worked our brains out in order to complete our different versions for MTW! We all have done so in the firm conviction that it has been worth it, and we all somehow must believe that our versions are the best thing that ever happened to us! If we didn’t believe that, our reasons for doing them would vanish, thus we simply would not have completed or even started to work on our different versions. I would have played XL now and VikingHorde would have played redux among other things. And you? You would have played just plain MTW. VikingHorde might prefer XL and I might prefer redux and that’s all there is to it.

It is the very perspective that is distorted and unproductive since it is as valid as comparing apples and oranges. Which is best? Yes, we can all have a personal preference, but that is all it ever gone be, nothing more. Both are fruit, but they are not the same thing, and they taste and look differently, comparing them is simply not useful or productive. You can’t be objective about it, because it is a purely subjective matter. The only thing that is objective about it is the fact that they are different.

Let me also point out that it is simply indecent and wrong to witlessly and hastily compare the work that we designers have spent years on to complete, free of charge! Is Picasso the greatest artist there ever was? Is Rembrandt better? These kinds of questions are plain stupid and, anything but, useful since they are purely subjective issues. Anyone who tries to tell you anything else is a blatant liar, and feel free to quote me on that! The only judgement you can truly trust in a subjective matter, is your own.

If you really want find out what you personally prefer, you must do it yourself. Neither I nor can anyone else chew your “french-fries” for you, it’s your job to do it and you have to do it yourself. As I said earlier; “I’ll guess you’ll have to play redux since you seem to have already tried XL.... And after that you finally know what works best for you.” End of story.

Now, having said all this…

“…it is a right pain in the arse to install/reinstall isn't it?”

Well, this is a first… Yes, it might be for you it seems, but as far as I can tell no one else have had these claimed troubles with it so far. All it requires is that you read and follow the instructions that comes along with redux. If you do that it should not be a problem for you. And frankly, I have a hard time imagining how it could be. Any mod for MTW that overwrites and/or alters the original files makes the game disfunctional the very second you remove the mod from it. Redux is no different to any other version in that regard. If you want to reinstall redux again, just follow the instructions again (its all there in the “how to install”-file).

“No doubt I'll get round to playing redux at some point…”

Well, as I said earlier. This is entirely up to you. If you do try it, I hope you like it, there is little else I can tell you here....
    So, until it’s redux time for you, I and hopefully a few others will hold the fort for you right here…

- Cheers
    -----------
    Please, can we all now drop the XL-discussion in this thread now?!? Please? There already is a fully functional XL-thread here at the TWC, if I personally were even remotely interested in discussing XL with you guys, I would have posted there long time ago…

Axalon you should apply for local moderator so you can have your own subforum for your mod. That might draw more attention and make things easier to organize.

Page 1 of 35 123456789101126 ... LastLast