Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Preview 2 - The units

Default Re: Preview 2 - The units

First of all we need to clear something up here:

Dragoons were mounted infantry, they fought on foot.
    Harquebusiers were mounted shot, they fought from horse back.

Dragoons, zipped about on a strategic level. For example, they would ride from point A to point B, normally places of significant importance like bridges/river crossings. The important thing to remember is that once they got to the battlefield, they dismounted. On the scale of a MED2 battlefield, they should always be dismounted.

Harquebusiers, were mounted shot, they travelled and fought on horseback. Originally they were used to screen and cover the advance of the heavy cavalry. But as cuirassier-style armour became more and more of a liability to the wearer, the harquebusier rapidly became the only cavalry on the field.

Essentially all cavalry in FKoC, except for the cuirassiers, are harquebusiers. However, the unit you are talking about is something of an acronystic unit. I wanted to show the origins of the unit type and decided to deck out that unit in an earlier (1610-1630) style.

I agree though, the Royalist harquebusier is a great tool, but don't let it get caught in melee!

Chees
    "I don't want to sit around Windsor because ermm .. I just generally don't like England that much" - Prince Harry, 3rd in Line for the British Thrown

For King or Country - The English civil wars.

Well, I know all that, the poit is, what´s the dragoons´ use in the game. I don´t see one, honestly. Why fill a slot in my twenty-unit-stack with a unit of dragoons when I can just as well take a unit of musketeers who have almost twice the number of men (and firearms) and who also can withstand a cavalry charge much better, or a unit of Parliament Life Guards/Royal Harquebusiers who have the mobility to make up for the lack of men and standing power. I have some good idea of what´s possible to do with modding, and what not; I´m not asking for the impossible, I´m just curious if and how to make use of that unit.
    Life is a sequence of missed opportunities

Dragoons are harassers and part time killers. They're not line infantry and they aren't meant to be used in that way.

They are more accurate than musketeers and they shoot at longer ranges. They also fire faster because they fire at will instead of waiting to fire by rank. They can hide in woods which makes them excellent ambushers.

Their are various battlefield roles but here are a few things I use them for:

Skirmishing - Bring them to the front and harrass the enemy as it comes towards you.
    Flanking - While your line infantry are engaging bring them to the flanks and rear.
    Protecting friendly cavalry - Mix them in the ranks of your cavalry and they will protect your cavalry from enemy cavalry.
    Anti-artillery - Their long rang and widely dispersed ranks make them an excellent choice for sniping enemy artillery units if you cavalry is tied up elsewhere.
    Ambushing - Put them in a hedge/tree line and they'll ambush the passing enemy. I think in 1.15 they aren't able to hide but they can in 1.2

You argue that a unit of cavalry makes a better choice, well I agree for some jobs it does. However, dragoon units are bigger than cavalry units, they have twice the range and much harder hitting weapons. Also cavalry costs twice as much to maintain.

There are a lot of changes in 1.2 that have made foote muskets/dragoons more effective and cavalry pistol/carbine fire less effective. Fingers crossed i'll release 1.2 tomorrow.

Cheers
    Last edited by AlphaDelta; October 11, 2008 at 01:07 PM.
    "I don't want to sit around Windsor because ermm .. I just generally don't like England that much" - Prince Harry, 3rd in Line for the British Thrown

You should put a little description of thier usefulness in their unit info (after the regimental info) for 1.2. A lot of folk would benefit from it.

example:
    Dragoons were traditionally used as... and thus have the advantage of...etc.

Cheers.
    A Mod for Med2 Kingdoms:

THERA:REDUX

Click here:
    https://www.moddb.com/mods/thera-redux

dragoon units are bigger than cavalry units
    That must be version 1.2 already, in 1.15 they´re 53 men still. Well´I´m looking forward to the next installment, and meanwhile enjoy what I´ve got already, because that´s what I do, a lot.
    Life is a sequence of missed opportunities

For 1.5 there will be new captains for each side. Here is the Royalist captain.

madrush's Avatar Senator

one word..WOW. IMUST PLAY IT NNNNNNOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW

Chevalier IX's Avatar Primicerius

I just want to add alittle something to AD's list of Dragoon uses...I find them quiete well to the effect of going before the lines and using their range in such a way as to provoke the enemy to attack and give up a high ground position that would otherwise lead to the slaughter of my mine slipping up the hill under a hail of musketrygamewise I have noticed that the AI will only take so much for losses before the unit advances to cut its losses,and therefore it sort of starts the ball rolling,they lose formation and pursue the dragoons,here comes my cav from the wings and before you know it we have Hastings all over again

just one word: gorgeous

Thanks

The delightfully retro 17th century battle-axe makes an appearance at last.

Nice units as usual AD.

Antagonist
    "is ait an mac an saol"

"If you grow tired of how you live, then follow me, and we will show you a different way."

Arthurian: Total War
    Wrath of the Norsemen
    Viking Invasion II

madrush's Avatar Senator

hey I downloaded and played the game, I have 2 questions so far
    1) which faction has the halbidier?
    2)I played parliament and DESTROYED the royalists but I didnt win, why?

Condottiere SOG's Avatar Domesticus

Petardiers could be based on Naptha throwers with grenades that damage buildings as well as men ...................or..................... build a new construct that explodes(monumental?)

Ηello friends very good and very interesting mod,just one question about the unit formation.Maybe it is not accurate,but what about the square formation for the musketeers,is it possible?
    There is only one Macedonia in the world and it is GREECE
    Kosovo is Serbia
    ΠΑΝΙΩΝΑΡΑ ΓΙΑ ΠΑΝΤΑ
    SUPPORTER OF MY SERBIAN BROTHERS

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaDelta View Post
    Dragoons are harassers and part time killers. They're not line infantry and they aren't meant to be used in that way.

They are more accurate than musketeers and they shoot at longer ranges. They also fire faster because they fire at will instead of waiting to fire by rank. They can hide in woods which makes them excellent ambushers.

Their are various battlefield roles but here are a few things I use them for:

Skirmishing - Bring them to the front and harrass the enemy as it comes towards you.
    Flanking - While your line infantry are engaging bring them to the flanks and rear.
    Protecting friendly cavalry - Mix them in the ranks of your cavalry and they will protect your cavalry from enemy cavalry.
    Anti-artillery - Their long rang and widely dispersed ranks make them an excellent choice for sniping enemy artillery units if you cavalry is tied up elsewhere.
    Ambushing - Put them in a hedge/tree line and they'll ambush the passing enemy. I think in 1.15 they aren't able to hide but they can in 1.2

You argue that a unit of cavalry makes a better choice, well I agree for some jobs it does. However, dragoon units are bigger than cavalry units, they have twice the range and much harder hitting weapons. Also cavalry costs twice as much to maintain.

There are a lot of changes in 1.2 that have made foote muskets/dragoons more effective and cavalry pistol/carbine fire less effective. Fingers crossed i'll release 1.2 tomorrow.

Cheers
    I think that you have found a great way to differentiate the Dragoons from line musketeers and make them valuable on a tactical level to the player, good job.

Petardiers could be based on Naptha throwers with grenades that damage buildings as well as men ...................or..................... build a new construct that explodes(monumental?)
    Naptha throwers is what I'll use as a base for the grenadiers, I'm hoping PB can help me to change the naptha into a grenade type effect.

Ηello friends very good and very interesting mod,just one question about the unit formation.Maybe it is not accurate,but what about the square formation for the musketeers,is it possible?
    You mean a box of musketeers? Yeah that's possible but you need to turn off fire at will.

I think that you have found a great way to differentiate the Dragoons from line musketeers and make them valuable on a tactical level to the player, good job.
    Thanks!

Cheers

Are You planned make more units?

madrush's Avatar Senator

its a good game but my questions weren't answered

Indefinitely Banned

AlphaDelta, I found for You interesting pictures. All soldiers are from English Civil War.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast