Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Preview 2 - The units

Default Re: Preview 2 - The units

no probs...... i actually think your cavalry look perfect.

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games..

The tartan is most likely ahistorical, however I think some artistic license is hardly going to break the game.

Cheers
    "I don't want to sit around Windsor because ermm .. I just generally don't like England that much" - Prince Harry, 3rd in Line for the British Thrown

For King or Country - The English civil wars.

Bernem's Avatar Senator

Congratulations those guys look very scottish! Maybe the one or the other redhead would fit in those units :hmmm:

But then again it's maybe just a stereotype

(housekeeper willy anyone?
    )

like all Norse are blond when many are redheads lol

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games..

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaDelta View Post
    The tartan is most likely ahistorical, however I think some artistic license is hardly going to break the game.

Cheers
    not atypical at all,in fact most soldiers foot and horse carried some tartan like a blanket roll and the occasional tweed,in fact give em bay city rollers socks!that"ll wind up the accuracy nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by leonn View Post
    not atypical at all,in fact most soldiers foot and horse carried some tartan like a blanket roll and the occasional tweed,in fact give em bay city rollers socks!that"ll wind up the accuracy nuts.
    Thanks for the information Leonn! Think I'll avoid the baycity roller look!

Cheers
    "I don't want to sit around Windsor because ermm .. I just generally don't like England that much" - Prince Harry, 3rd in Line for the British Thrown

are you modifying existing figures or making your own from scratch? and are you doing the earl of levens lifeguard,because it boasted a kettledrummer in its ranks!the first ever recorded in uk armys.

are you modifying existing figures or making your own from scratch?
    It's about 60/40 new/old. All of the objects, weapons, helmets, armour etc are scratch made. The basic human mesh has been inherited and heavily modified from Med2. All textures are new.

and are you doing the earl of levens lifeguard,because it boasted a kettledrummer in its ranks!the first ever recorded in uk armys.
    With the adding of burgonets to the lancers the Covenanters are finished. I've now moved on to adding some extra details like cavalry cornets and drummers for foote.

Cheers

Yep no doubt about it you must be the best and fastest working modeler for mtw2!

Oooh pictures! Faber est quisque fortunae suae

Quote Originally Posted by Miltiades the Younger View Post
    Yep no doubt about it you must be the best and fastest working modeler for mtw2!
    Nah not anymore, the MED2 mod community is a lot more active now than it was a year ago. There's some real talent working now.

Cheers

Indefinitely Banned

I have some pics from period. Some can be helping

No offense Antiochus but the mod is 95% complete so I doubt these will be of use.

Thanks for posting Antiochus, always happy to see images of the period. I presume these chaps are Austrian?

Cheers

KLA,

Look this pis, there is Harquebusier in this type of boots. So You can see that aren't socks:

Quote Originally Posted by Antiochus View Post

Hahaha, this again. Just get over it.

+rep Satch.

cheers

I read somewhere about you (AD) producing some new artillery models for a future patch, I have a suggestion that might help with your options for units/seiges, I've only seen Rams available so far in the campaigns I've played.

How about the poor old petard man?

Game mechanics wise he's only really a single man ram, a bit quicker getting to the door and erm.. he only knocks once.

Give him a bit of armour and speed to increase survivability. Build time during the seige would quite quick, just long enough to find a bucket of powder a fuse and somebody stupid enough to carry it!

Think it would be fun, with the defender hoping that his muskets can shoot him from the wall before he gets close enough.

Maybe model his smoking shoes by the gate if he's successful..or not.

Hard to find a reference, atleast this guy has the right helmet on!

Yeah I've been thinking about how to implement a petard. It's not easy and would require an awful lot of trial and error, plus new meshes and animations.

there were basically 3 types of petard used in the civil war,one was a big wooden plate with a charge on it,carried by 1 or 2 men who ran up to the door,stuck it on with hooks,lit it and ran like buggery.the second looked like a ladder on wheels with the charge on the end,only this one they had to light first and then place{!}.the third,and peculiar to england was the sow.this was basically a large box on wheels,with room enough inside for about 15 musketeers.it had loopholes so they could shoot out,it was ALSO used to convey a petard to a gate.its shape varied but its quite close to the battering rams currently in the game.it may be a way of getting rid of them,as you know they wernt used.could you perhaps "convert"them as something more accurate (and entertaining!).i have references for them if you need it.the sealed knot made 3 of these beasts some years ago,and they worked very well.

Dragoons generally would ride to the battlefield, dismount at a certain location and fight on foot. On the small scale of a med 2 battlefield the lack of an option to ride and dismount makes little difference to their tactical usage. Historically they joined with the main force for the larger battles. They would also mix in with the cavalry ranks presumably to aid cavalry in defending itself from muskets. They operated on the flanks of an army and would skirmish forward, often along hedge rows, through woods or in ditches to a position where they could give fire. In for King or country they operate as light infantry in loose formation with a superior missile range and weaker melee skills. They start on the flanks and the AI tends to move them forward into position. They also serve the role of commanded musketeers and the forlorn hope moving ahead of the line to engage the enemy forlorn hope.

These are the changes I made in comparison to muskets

• Lowered the number of men in a unit to roughly 3/5th's that of a company of line musketeers.
    • Lowered their mass value from 80Kilos to 65Kilo's to make them more vunerable to charges.
    • Increased their formation spacing so that they are always in loose formation.
    • Increased the range of their muskets to 170 giving them an edge of roughly 20 meters over line infantry.
    • Lowered the attack value by 15% of the musket to simulate the velocity drop over the greater distance
    • Gave them a sword as secondary for variation.
    • Lowered their defense skill due to having a shorter secondary weapon.
    • Lowered morale by 10%.

Cheers
    I´ve got a question regarding the dragoons. Having played quite some time now, I´ve hardly found any use for them in the game. However, as far as the principal idea of the dragoon goes, playing the Royalist camapign I´ve found a unit that works quite the way I´d expect dragoons to work: the Royal Harquebusier. They can move fast to any point on the field and can provide fire support, which is precisely what dragoons are supposed to do, isn´t it? The Harquebusiers don´t actually dismount to shoot, which the engine simply doesn´t allow, but otherwise they do the job very, very well. Only, they´re far to shiny to be the supposedly "lowly" dragoons.
    Life is a sequence of missed opportunities

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast