Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Preview 2 - The units

Default Re: Preview 2 - The units

Wow, repreprep if I can

I was wondering what was going around with the drummers! I don't think that you need some extra animations for them. It might be enough to simply glue the drum to the soldiers leg as in NTW 2!
    Yeah it shouldn't be impossible to add drummers, just a bit of trial and error to get the vertex assignments correct. I had to do something similar when I added the clubmen general/standard bearer.

You also could add some stuff for the horses as in tis picture.
    It's rare that you see ECW cavalry with that kind of gear strapped to the horse, however what I do want to add is the pair of pistols that sits in front of the saddle.

Cheers
    "I don't want to sit around Windsor because ermm .. I just generally don't like England that much" - Prince Harry, 3rd in Line for the British Thrown

For King or Country - The English civil wars.

AlphaDelta, nice Job.
    I think that if Royalist harquebusiers are Cavalry units You should add them Cavalry's boots.

KLA,

Thanks for the compliment!

I take your point about the cavalry boots, even dragoons wore them. However, this sketch from a training manual of the period shows the harquebusier wearing long socks.

I have another 2 images like this if you would like to see.

Cheers
    "I don't want to sit around Windsor because ermm .. I just generally don't like England that much" - Prince Harry, 3rd in Line for the British Thrown

ad,ive got the full sp on covenanter cavalry,theres about half a ton of stuff so could you tell me what you want exactly so im not blocking up your email with too much info.i have uniforms,names of all cavalry regts from 1639 to 1646,including potted regt history,officers roll,drawings of the colours carried [where known],compleat descriptions of cavalry uniform and equipment,including earl of levens life guard,lancers used by several regts to great effect,moss troopers and dragooners.i also have details of the famous scots light artillery,frames and leatherguns,including the ones that fired a half pound ball "handeld like a musket".!also,if you need it,details of the highland companys that travelled south attatched to at least four covenanter regts.all of this comes from primary sources,scottish council registers,acts of the parliaments of scotland,balfour,baillie etc,which i can furnish for you if required.

I see that in black-white pics are brown cav's boots, not socks.
    In black-white pics these boots can look similar to socks, but look these boots in colour:

Thanks for posting that, however it's still inconclussive. Notice that above the calf the sock becomes much tighter? Boots never look this way. Also notice that the 'fold' is high above the knee, normally these kinds of boots are folded at, or below the knee line as in the picture of your first harquebusier.

Cheers
    Last edited by AlphaDelta; September 15, 2008 at 07:03 PM.

Unit from Your pic is Infantryman
    My pics are drawed on earlier period, so I think that boots are correctly

Harquebusiers were originally mounted infantrymen. Note that the training manual picture shows the Harquebusier wearing an infantry helmet, infantry breaches, infantry long socks, a typical ammunition quality back and breast plate and a full bore musket..All of your pictures show cuirassiers which were considered cavalry from a time long before.

Anyway we can argue this nonsensical, trivial and completely inconsequencial point until we go blue in the face, but now it's time to drop it, the socks will stay and you can try and find something else to complain about ...

Cheers
    Last edited by AlphaDelta; September 16, 2008 at 12:07 PM.

Covenanter musketeers

Cheers

Sweet looking Covenanters!

Crabtree's Avatar Laetus

Great Units, great mod

Atterdag's Avatar Tro og Håb

They look really Scottish!
    Granted Lettre de Marque by King Henry V - Spurs given by imb39
    Сканија је Данска

عیسی پسر مریم گفت :' جهان است پل ، عبور بیش از آن است ، اما هیچ ساخت خانه بر آن او امیدوار است که برای یک روز ، ممکن است برای ابدیت امیدواریم ، اما ماندگار جهان اما ساعت آن را صرف در دعا و نماز برای استراحت است نهان

All of the Balkans is not worth the bones of a single Pomeranian grenadier.
    Otto von Bismarck

Is the musket butt gonna be a secondary weapon?
    kwl

I have a question about the dragoons, because there's something I don't quite understand. You said that dragoons will be weaker in melee and in one of the battle aar's, they also had problems holding their ground against musketeers.

Your musketeers beating dragoons in melee struck me as a bit odd because, in melee, your musketeers use their muskets as a club, while dragoons switch to a rapier (?). Now, I'm no expert on muskets, but I've held a Brown Bess once and I can't imagine a musket, used as a long club, being superior to a rapier in melee combat.

So will dragoons be weaker than musketeers or do they lose simply because they are fewer in number?

Scottish lancers.

So will dragoons be weaker than musketeers or do they lose simply because they are fewer in number?
    Both. They are configured as light infantry with better musket properties.

Now, I'm no expert on muskets, but I've held a Brown Bess once and I can't imagine a musket, used as a long club, being superior to a rapier in melee combat.
    Different kind of musket. Muskets of the ECW had sharpened butt stocks and weighed more than a brown bess. Also the ammunition quality swords issued to infantry of the period were terrible in quality.

Cheers

I still have the 1/72 figurines from when I was a kid. The cavalry all seem to be wearing an assortment of riding boots, shoes and sox. They look fine anyhow. They look correct from what I have seen
    Perhaps if I find the revell plastic figure box somewhere.......

But its closed so thats cool.... i'm just really getting into this period.

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games..

Last edited by Destraex; September 19, 2008 at 01:24 AM.

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games..

In every Osprey picture I have seen, Scots cavalry wear boots. The only cavalry unit I have seen wearing socks is the one in this thread that Marszałek and I were arguing about.

Cheers

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast