Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FKoC: Settlements - Towns, cities and castles

Default Re: FKoC: Settlements - Towns, cities and castles

I added in Newark yesterday and I fixed the distances between Stafford, Derby, Notting, Newark and Lincoln.

Newark will have access to Blackwell's regiment of foote.

Cheers
    "I don't want to sit around Windsor because ermm .. I just generally don't like England that much" - Prince Harry, 3rd in Line for the British Thrown

For King or Country - The English civil wars.

King Xiao's Avatar Senator

Just a thought but could you add Lichfield. It is my home city and was fought over in the civil war. We have a three spire cathredral which a bloody battle was fought over.

I would but it's become quite crowded in that region now.

Cheers
    "I don't want to sit around Windsor because ermm .. I just generally don't like England that much" - Prince Harry, 3rd in Line for the British Thrown

not sure if this is the right place but,how about adding a few more fordable points on rivers to stop bridges being such a killing ground?i always thought bridge battles were very unbalanced given the suicidal nature of the ai,if youve got pike and guns you cant lose.ive killed charles twice and rupert 3 times because they insist on going first! or give some units the ability to swim the river,its not historicaly inaccurate.

A fording point becomes a bridge as soon as there is a road in the County.

The simple answer is to avoid bridge battles, if the AI is on the bridge, don't attack it, and make sure your general doesn't end turn on a bridge.

Cheers

Just one thing, could you add another crossing further North East on the river that flows to Northhampton from the east coast? To get to Norwich I have to travel along the river for aaaaaaaages.

I deliberately did that to prevent the Royalist AI entering East Anglia.

If you want to mod this yourself it's really easy. Open map_features.tga file in for_king_or_country\data\world\maps\base, find the point on the river you want to add a crossing and add a single pixel of colour R:0 G:255 B:255.

Delete map.rwm

Load your save game and you'll see a bridge there now.

Cheers

Wildfowler's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaDelta View Post
    Thanks for that information. Warwick is a bit of a problem. It should be a Parliamentarian settlement at the start of the campaign, but doing so would really hurt the Royalists. It's ahistorical but I'm going to keep it in the hands of the Royalists.

Cheers
    I use to live in Warwick! At one time the Castle was held by Parliament and the town was distinctly Royalist!

There is the local story from that time that a building that is now the Zetland Arms public House was a butchers shop during the civil war and the butcher was an ardent Royalist. One morning he left his shop, walked down the road and glancing up saw a soldier up on the castle tower so (as one does) he gave the soldier the famous two finger salute. The soldier raised his musket, fired and killed the butcher! Not a bad feat at that distance!

Another pub in Warwick at the time had some Roundhead Officers in enjoying an ale or two, maybe three or four...or more!

They then found in the next room some Royalist Officers enjoying an ale or two, maybe three or four...or more!

Both sides agreed that violence would spoil the ambience of the evening. So they drank each others health until the landlord eventually threw the whole lot of them out!

Some Parliament idiot in the castle thought it was a good idea to test his gun and so one morning let off his cannon. The Roundhead shot hit and took off the coping tiles of a Royalist Merchant in the town. Upshot the Royalist Merchant wrote a strongly worded letter of complaint. Result. Parliament paid to repair his roof!!

The English Civil War was, at times a very Civil War!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]I would rather have a russet coated Captain who knows what he fights for and loves what he knows. Than him who you call a Gentleman and is but little else

Oliver Cromwell

G. W. Mills's Avatar Laetus

Great Yarmouth

Scale of the settlement: small
    Population size: small
    What was the garrison strength: I can only speculate, but not very big, as it was safely in Parliamentary hands.
    Who was governor: Miles Corbett, one of those who signed Charles' death warrant.

I hate to say it but the English civil war is an area of history that fascinates me, but one that I'm no too familiar with.

gaunty14's Avatar Vicarius

i don't see why you should be ashamed to admit your not to familier with it

^-^

Plymouth
    Size: 7000+ inhabitants
    Garrison: 9000 soldiers + militia defending extensive fortifications
    Govorner: Sir Ruthin

King Charles himself lay siege to the city with 15000 and it didn't fall for the entire war. Sir Richard Grenville tried to take the town with his entire regiment (otherwise known as the battle of freedom fields, which incidentaly is now a small park near my home) the attack failed and Grenville lost most of his regiment.

Might make a nice alternative to Exeter.
    Last edited by Calamari; November 29, 2008 at 05:54 AM.
    "Human beings have neither the aural or psycological ability to withstand the power of God's true voice. Your head would cave in and your heart would explode. We went through 5 Adams before we figured that one out." - Metatron

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12