Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FKoC: Settlements - Towns, cities and castles

Default FKoC: Settlements - Towns, cities and castles

Although all settlements are now on the map I would like to know more information about exisiting settlements on the map such as:

Scale of the settlement
    Population size of the settlement in the war
    What was the garrison strength
    Who was the governor/commander
    Was it an important recruitment area

I am happy to hear suggestions for the inclussion of "in-region" castles and perhaps some historically important villages. For example I added Farnham castle as a castle within the county of 'Hampshire' which has the capital Winchester.

Cheers
    "I don't want to sit around Windsor because ermm .. I just generally don't like England that much" - Prince Harry, 3rd in Line for the British Thrown

For King or Country - The English civil wars.

Default Re: FKoC: Settlements - Towns, cities and castles

Farnham Castle:

Scale of the settlement - town
    Population size of the settlement in the war - small
    What was the garrison strength - Small around 100 men
    Who was the governor/commander - Sir John Denham.
    Was it an important recruitment area - No
    "I don't want to sit around Windsor because ermm .. I just generally don't like England that much" - Prince Harry, 3rd in Line for the British Thrown

Warwick Castle

An ardent Puritan, Sir Robert Greville, Earl of Warwick, was imprisoned by King Charles I for refusing to take an oath to fight for the king. He became an active member of the parliamentary party. In 1642 Civil war broke out between King and parliament and Warwick Castle successfully withstands a siege by Royalist troops.

Scale of the settlement - Town
    Population size of the settlement in the war - Medium
    What was the garrison strength - Quite large
    Who was the governor/commander - Sir Robert Greville
    Was it an important recruitment area - Maybe?

Just thought I'd make a contribution, not sure how accurate it is though

Formerly Tyrtaeus

Thanks for that information. Warwick is a bit of a problem. It should be a Parliamentarian settlement at the start of the campaign, but doing so would really hurt the Royalists. It's ahistorical but I'm going to keep it in the hands of the Royalists.

Cheers

That's OK, as long as its there, I'm happy

Formerly Tyrtaeus

will you be making new settlement/castle models for the strat map?

will you be making new settlement/castle models for the strat map?
    Good question, and the answer is no. The majority of the settlements (both strat map and battlemap) are Tudor/stuart type buildings and are completely wrong for Med2's period, yet absolutely perfect for an English civil war mod. CA had some real foresight to see into the future and realise that I would make this mod.

Last edited by AlphaDelta; September 07, 2008 at 12:24 PM.

ok thats cool

Opifex

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaDelta View Post
    Good question, and the answer is no. The majority of the settlements (both strat map and battlemap) are Tudor/stuart type buildings and are completely wrong for Med2's period, yet absolutely perfect for an English civil war mod. CA had some real foresight to see into the future and realise that I would make this mod.

Oh sure, biased CA Brits....! Slight everyone and prepare for the mod dealing with the British Civil War!

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty,
    the tranquility of servitude greater than
    the animating contest for freedom, go
    home from us in peace. We seek not
    your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch
    down and lick the hand that feeds you,
    and may posterity forget that ye were
    our countrymen."
    -Samuel Adams

Der Angelsachse's Avatar Tiro

Chester

Scale of the settlement: medium
    Population size: large (folk from all over cheshire flocked to the walled city for protection on the outbreak of the war.)
    What was the garrison strength: 300 volunteer watchmen guarded the gates at all times. In June 1643 all able-bodied men between 16 and 60 not already in the trained bands were enlisted for Francis Gamull's town guard.
    Who was governor: Sir Nicholas Byron (Military Governor)
    Was it an inportant recruitment area: Yes. Chester was the prinicpal royalist port for Ireland and gateway to Royalist North Wales. The town raised numerous trayned bands and at least three troop of horse in the first civil war.
    Last edited by Der Angelsachse; September 08, 2008 at 12:04 PM. Reason: removed Liverpool info

Liverpool isn't actually on the campaign map. There's a number of settlements in that area that should be included such as Stockport, Manchester, Bolton, Liverpool and Lathorn. I would like to add them but the map is just too small.

Regarding chester. I currently have it as a castle, I'll change it to a city. It'll be nice for the Royalists to have a city in the midlands. I may include Byron at some point too.

Cheers

Der Angelsachse's Avatar Tiro

ahh oops. I dunno why, I swore I saw Liverpool mentioned. lol I'll delete that bit then.

Yeah, Chester does have a castle of sorts. (it's a stone motte and bailey) but the walls were its main defence. So city would definitely be the way to go imho. There are still sections of the wall you can see today that have the scars left by the siege cannons and there is one section that had to be completely rebuilt after the war, the parliamentarians having breached it with cannon.

ahh oops. I dunno why, I swore I saw Liverpool mentioned. lol I'll delete that bit then.
    It's ok, it was a good suggestion. After you posted I took a look at the map and thought of a way to 'make it work', but it just seemed to be too crowded in that location.

So city would definitely be the way to go imho.
    I'll make the change today. I'll also increase the size of the population. It should be a decent fall back capital if the Royalists lose Oxford.

Cheers

Little Turtle's Avatar Tiro

I think Cornwall or Devon could do with one more settlement.
    Rep is customary, sir.

Maybe. The only real choice is Exeter. I want to avoid adding too many settlements, I do want some field battles from time to time.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by SigniferOne View Post
    Oh sure, biased CA Brits....! Slight everyone and prepare for the mod dealing with the British Civil War!
    Brits??? You mean poms
    Actually Medieval 2 and Kingdoms where developed by CA Australia

My apologies if this has been asked elsewhere (i'm new around these parts), but is Worcester going to be included? Worcester was an important city in the Civil War and throughout history.

(yeah, i'm from Worcester )

Quote Originally Posted by dodgydave View Post
    My apologies if this has been asked elsewhere (i'm new around these parts), but is Worcester going to be included? Worcester was an important city in the Civil War and throughout history.

(yeah, i'm from Worcester )
    I wanted to include Worcester/Worcestershire but I decided to Combine Warwickshire and Worcestershire as it's quite a busy part of the map.

I think I put warwick too far west so I may be able to slide it back east and slot Worcester in.

Cheers

Ok Warwick has been put in it's historical position and given to the historically correct faction (Parliament). Worcester has been added in Warwick's old position which by the way was the true position of Worcester!

Cheers

Newark

Scale of the settlement: medium
    Population size: medium
    What was the garrison strength: The town fielded at times as many as 600 soldiers, and raided Nottingham, Grantham, Northampton, Gainsborough, and others with mixed success, but enough to cause it to rise to national notice.
    Who was governor: Amongst others; the Earl of Newcastle and even Charles I himself
    Was it an inportant recruitment area: More of a centre for raiding nearby towns, Newark was nevertheless a centre or recruitment, and many soldiers did enlist here.

Thi is my local town, quite important in civil war history. If your putting it in then yay! If not, I assume Lincoln is in (the civil war in Lincolnshire is really interesting so as long as one town from there is in I'm happy)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast