Thread: Beiss' to-do list

Beiss's Avatar Nemo nascitur...

Default Beiss' to-do list

As has been previously announced, I'm shutting this whole thing down. There are a few things I need to do first, however. This is just a list for myself (and whoever else is interested), in chronological order:

1. Try to fix the bugs in Xenophonia for Vanilla M2TW (currently, there is an issue with mercenaries speaking the wrong language).
      This will involve making some changes to my EDSUV/EDU lister and may take some time. It's going to be a huge help having a fully functional EDSUV/EDU lister during the later steps, however.
    2. Make a version of Xenophonia that is compatible with localized versions of the game.
    3. Make a version of Xenophonia for each of the Kingdoms campaigns.
    4. Do #3, but for localized versions.
    5. Try to get rid of as many bugs as possible for the versions mentioned in #2-#4.

Also, I should upgrade the installer to be even more user friendly, since people still appear to be screwing up occasionally. #2 and #3 may be swapped, but I will continue working on this until the middle 3 tasks have been completed. I might never be able to fix all the bugs, so both #1 and #5 are a little fuzzy.

Things needing fixes in the installer (should get done in a blink once I get around to it):
    Make sure to remind users to have the CD in the drive before the game launches after unpacking all the files
    Unpack ADDON zip (or simply include the ADDON zip with the next version of the installer)
    Make installer move files by itself instead of having the user do it
    Spelling / typos
    Remove the very last pause

Recently, there's been some activity in the Greek department. This will likely be the last chance to revive this mod, and will be the only custom soundpack, if any, that we will make. If the attempt at translating and recording Greek samples fails, the above 5 tasks are all that remain before this mod is shut down. I guess the forum will still be around though.

Any bugs you are aware of should be posted here ASAP.
    Last edited by Beiss; September 15, 2008 at 02:59 PM.
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

Default Re: Beiss' to-do list

As has been previously announced, I'm shutting this whole thing down. There are a few things I need to do first, however. This is just a list for myself (and whoever else is interested), in chronological order:

1. Try to fix the bugs in Xenophonia for Vanilla M2TW (currently, there is an issue with mercenaries speaking the wrong language).
    2. Make a version of Xenophonia that is compatible with localized versions of the game.
    5. Try to get rid of as many bugs as possible for the versions mentioned in #2-#4.

#2 and #3 may be swapped, but I will continue working on this until the middle 3 tasks have been completed. I might never be able to fix all the bugs, so both #1 and #5 are a little fuzzy.

Recently, there's been some activity in the Greek department. This will likely be the last chance to revive this mod, and will be the only custom soundpack, if any, that we will make. If the attempt at translating and recording Greek samples fails, the above 5 tasks are all that remain before this mod is shut down. I guess the forum will still be around though

Shame on you Beiss!!I have lent so many hours trying to translate the commands and you say we should shut down??No way!
    In the last paragraph you say that there has been a movement in the Greek voice issue.Well,bear in mind that I will personally do everything possible for the Greek voice mod to become functional!
    Do me one favour!Don't give up!
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Beiss View Post

Good to hear. Even a modestly bug-free Xenophonia for Kingdoms campaigns would be great. The mod is already one of the best, especially when successfully combined with other mods.

I'm skeptical of the fan made speech packs anyway. Even if the translation work would be superb, I doubt that voices would sound any good compared to ripped official speech packs. (Then again, RTW total conversion, Europa Barbarorum, has some awesome fan made voices for Romans, Celts and Greeks. The latter mentioned speech could work to some extent with Byzantines of M2TW, but EB team would unlikely lend their hard work to other mods.)
    Last edited by Katzbalger; September 06, 2008 at 02:34 PM.

Romaios - I know you're working hard and am happy to hear that, but from my experience, translators don't follow through. You'd be the first! I, too, have put a lot of work into this, and we still don't have a single recorded sample to show for it. If we could get a Greek speech pack, that would be absolutely fantastic, but I have good reason to doubt it will ever happen. I very much hope you will prove me wrong.

Katzbalger - recording is an issue indeed. Even if someone has decent equipment, the lines still need to be read in a professional way. I'm sure EB would be happy to help us (they have released both the Latin and the Gallic voicemods independently, and I'm also sort of friends with the guy who directed them). Even if we used their Greek voice mod, however, RTW uses only a few hundred samples and M2TW over 2,000 for each language, so it wouldn't really help.
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

I think it should be obvious to anyone now that I will never do the things listed above. I've lost all interest in this game and most likely won't play it ever again. I did so only once it the past 6 months and I hated it. If anyone wants to try to do the things I set out to do, they're welcome to try, and I will certainly do my best to answer any questions asked if you run into problems. But since I haven't even begun work with the above tasks in all this time I've come to realize that I never will. Sorry, guys.

If ETW proves to not suck I will definitely try to make an equivalent of Xenophonia for it, though without ever considering making new voice samples. The latest rumors I heard indicated there won't be a need for a mod of this type for ETW... although I'm sure that whatever the Swede's speech sounds like it'll give me nightmares in broad daylight.

Finally, as one might have guessed, Romaios, who seemed so eager to help, has yet to send me a single translation of anything. I expected no more. I feel it adequate, however, to quote him: "Shame on you"...!
    Last edited by Beiss; November 25, 2008 at 03:54 PM.