Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Books to read in Empire's timeframe

Default Books to read in Empire's timeframe

Alot of people like to look at movies to pump themselves up about the games release but i was wondering if anyone has any good recommendations for books to read. I've read two on the subject: 1. War For All The Oceans: From Nelson At The Nile To Napolean At Waterloo by Roy and Leslie Adkins. 2. To Rule The Waves: How The British Navy Shaped The Modern World by Arthur Herman. The first was obviously much more of a detailed book into that specific time period and gave some very good story delving into 1st person accounts and eyewitnesses to help tell the battle (for example had an entire chapter just on Thomas Cochrane). The second is a book covering the entire history of the Royal navy from the Tudor period all the way up to the Falklands. Its much less story and much more of a history book and overall strategy focused (barely recognizes Cochrane).

As you can see both are focused on the naval aspects of the time period and I was just wondering if anyone had any good books that they want to share for those who would like to get a better sense of history or find this stuff fascinating.
    Officers of the elite Prussian gendarmes sharpen their swords on the steps of the French embassy (by Myrbach)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default Re: Books to read in Empire's timeframe

ive seen this movie called GLORIA ...
    i recommend it to you ..
    as for books i dont know any =/

Anachronist's Avatar Domesticus

The Aubrey–Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian

Where Master and Commander comes from.

Poach's Avatar Civitate

I respond with the generic Sharpe novel/TV show thing response!

At the upper limit of the timeframe granted, but still good Other than that, wikipedia or google for info

Prince Andrey's Avatar Civis

War and Peace. It ing amazing.

I'm more into the Napoleonic, land-based stuff really.
    The Sharp series is very good, if rather formulaic - the stories as such are rather simple and basic, but the wealth of history and atmosphere is terrific. There are some rather nice sea-passages though in Sharpe's Trafalgar.
    For a more non-fiction approach, "Rifles" by Mark Urban is excellent. If you do an Amazon search for books by/about Rifleman Harris, you'll find "people who bought this product also liked" links to accounts by various other riflemen of the time.
    That's my little Greenjacket rant out of the way.

I'm just reading another book by Mark Urban - "Fusiliers: How the British Army lost America but learned how to fight" which is very good too.

The little Osprey military series of books are very good, but very expensive for what they are.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Riflllllles! To me!.... Fix Swords!"

Poach's Avatar Civitate

Another good Mark Urban book is "Generals", which covers British generals like Malbourough (spelling?) and Wellington and their campaigns, strategy, battles etc, along with other generals. A very good read!
    Last edited by Poach; September 04, 2008 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Fleshed my reply out a bit!

Still reading Warand peace, but seems promising. But I do recomend Sharpe's books,or Masterand Commander (either movies or books, form patrick o'brian)... To help in your strategy, I'd suggest The Art of War, by Niccolo Machiavelli. He tries to teach the world how to fight based on the roman style, but with different weapons.

I thought Machiavelli was "the Prince" Sun Tsu wrote the "Art of War"... or are there two?

Poach - I've not read Generals yet. Mark Urban is very good, though, eh? He's written a book on the man who broke Napoleon's codes too, which is meant to be very good.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Poach's Avatar Civitate

Urban is indeed an excellent writer, his books aren't too heavy reading but very informative, winning combo! I shall have to look into this book on the code-breaker fellow, I too have never read it (or heard of it!)...

Krupp's Avatar Senator

Out of the time period

The Franco-Prussian War 1870-1871

author escapes me...
    Last edited by Krupp; September 04, 2008 at 07:03 PM.
    "Over the hills and far away..."

Prince Andrey's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosLondon View Post
    I thought Machiavelli was "the Prince" Sun Tsu wrote the "Art of War"... or are there two?
    Yeah there are two. Machiavelli and Sun Tzu both wrote a book under that title. But yeah, Machiavelli wrote the prince, also.

Franco-Prussian was 1870, wasn't it?

Sorry if I'm being a real bastard and correcting everyone on this thread!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

i agree with Poache's first post the Sharpe book series by Bernard Cornwell are amazing. I haven't heard of a TV show though

Winter's Avatar Civitate

I found Napoleon and the Napoleonic Wars by Albert Marrin fascinating when I read it for a research paper. It focuses on Napoleon's military campaigns and gives a nice balanced overview of his entire life, including many of his other accomplishments. All in all I'd highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Poach's Avatar Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by feroXXXed35 View Post
    i agree with Poache's first post the Sharpe book series by Bernard Cornwell are amazing. I haven't heard of a TV show though
    They made a series of episodes, if you will, each covering one Sharpe book. Some were omitted, such as Sharpe's Trafalgar, and all the books before he was made Officer (thus the India ones).

They cover the Peninsular War books mostly, plus Waterloo. You should look into them, Sean Bean plays Sharpe, 'tis all good

The Sharpe TV series was good fun - it's a pity ITV couldn't get a Hollywood style budget & do them properly.
    It looks great - don't get me wrong - but there's no wide shots of fighting, and either through the use of too much close-ups, and not enough extras, it just looks like a very small scale conflict, unfortunately. The plots are often changed drastically from the books, but their still rip-roaring, rollicking chronicles, and a lot of fun really.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Krupp's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosLondon View Post
    Franco-Prussian was 1870, wasn't it?

Sorry if I'm being a real bastard and correcting everyone on this thread!

Yep my bad,been a while since I looked at that book
    "Over the hills and far away..."

Well, that's OK this time.
    But this must never happen again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Georgy Zhukov's Avatar Primicerius

Excellent book in my opinion!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast