Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: GOAT and GOAL: A collection of modelling and animation utilities

Default Re: GOAT and GOAL: A collection of modelling and animation utilities

That is incredible bwain , signifierone don´t ignore me dude!!
    Hey Bwian i made a 2h model with the elephant heaters and footers but the unit done blow units in the air when is attacking. i will upload my text file soon.
    Contribuitor IBIICB-WOTN-Modeler-Scripter

KnightErrant's Avatar Decanus

Well I'd like to add my own observations to this. Bwian, as always,
    is too kind, the problem with the animations was an error on my part.
    The horse is different from all the other units: camels, elephants, humans,
    and siege_engines. These all have unit scaling but the horses have
    their skeletons too small, a factor of 1.12. descr_skeleton.txt deals
    with this by including a scale command of "scale 1.12". The header
    says this scales the skeletons by 1.12. So the fiction maintained by the
    Python GOAT meshconverter is to introduce a "scaled" skeleton that is
    larger than the one in the .cas files. This is done so users can do
    animmerge and animextract and have things work as they imagine.
    The problem happened when we exported this artificially large skeleton
    to an animation family; the skeleton was too large and then the scale
    command made it even larger. End result: weird animation effects in the
    game because the correct rotations of the anims were being applied to a
    bad skeleton. So the "cure" is this: in the workflow, you use the big
    skeleton whenever you do stuff in Milkshape. Only when you
    are done and want to export the new skeleton, with or without extra
    bones, the exportskeleton function has a new fourth dialog that
    lets you scale the skeleton by any factor, in this case 1.12. That makes
    the skeleton back to the original size. In essence, you scale the skeleton
    down so the game can scale it back up.

(Sigh) I know this sounds convoluted, but it works. This by itself merits a bug-fix re-release of
    GOAT, but King Kong has found some problems with siege_engines,
    JMRC has found some problems with the human meshconverter, Aetagina
    has found improvements with the RTW model converter, etc. When I
    can get this all sorted out, I'll do a GOAT 1.1 release with all the
    corrections; just want to wait until the chariots are riding roughshod
    over their hapless opponents. Many thanks to people who have used
    GOAT with all its faults and reported them back so it can be made
    better.

Icedie ... you need to make sure you have 'launching' in the descr_unit section for the weapon attributes. This should get the bodies flying. The attack should have the attributes of the elephant units as a guide.

Opifex

KE, you're the man.

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty,
    the tranquility of servitude greater than
    the animating contest for freedom, go
    home from us in peace. We seek not
    your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch
    down and lick the hand that feeds you,
    and may posterity forget that ye were
    our countrymen."
    -Samuel Adams

Condottiere SOG's Avatar Domesticus

Nice to have you, Bwian. Much respect.

+rep from days gone by................

Made some more progress last night.

The double horses are in place, and I have text edited the animation files to remove the stock horses extreme rotations in the hooves. All tested and functional.

Due to the limitations on the total number of bones we can have, the tail has been 'stolen' to make part of the chariot. Not a big sacrifice to be honest!

Before I had to call it a night, I have zeroed out the tail bone movement, added an extra 'axle' bone and rigged the chariot mesh to the bones.

KE has knocked up a script to allow me to automatically generate a reverse set of animations. The plan is to have a tiny bone between h_saddle and hte chariot proper with a reverse set of rotations to bone_h_saddle. This should counteract rotations and mean the chariot will stay pretty much still. The hope is that this will save a lot of time damping out the movement of the horse as it walks being transmitted into the chariot to make it wobble. It will still move and bounce a bit. this is untested, but should work OK. With the chariot stable, I can test the chariot properly for height. Might involve a couple of re-builds to get the wheel height spot on.... but I expect that!

Assuming all that works ( will test tonight ) the only thing left to do is make the wheels turn and then convert the headers to elephant ones so I can add extra riders. Turning wheels will be easy enough to do in text format. If there are 20 frames, and I want 2 full rotations...then I just change the thing by 36 degrees per frame. If that fails, I might have to do it in MS3D...but even then, that won't be too hard.

Unless it all goes wrong, a christmas release of an alpha chariot is a definitle possibility.

Here you can have mind, i made it but the height of the chariot is not that good but it will add more source to your test references.
    Chariot_REboned walk animation
    So the thing is to change the heaters and footer from the elephant to the horses? or from the horses to the elephant?, also this chariot use the horse skeleton with the extra bone for chariot.
    And as for the 2h axe i did add teh launching attribute in edu but not luck, also i tested with the war_cry ability and add impetuous to the training level, and yet nothing.
    I will pm you the animation if you don´t mind have a look at it.

I wish I could post a video of what I have just been watching

Chariots rolling their wheels over the plains of M2TW. I have only done the rotations for the walk and run animations so far, but the others are just a matter of maths and text editing. I have a little spreadsheet doing that for me, so all I need to do is enter the number of frames the wheels need to complete a full turn and then paste in the numbers. Once I finish the rotations, I can doctor the headers and add the extra riders. Here's a quick picture or two to show how it looks static:

The final tweaks for the rider position can then be done when I have completed the other more important tasks. But...the main thing is ..IT ALL WORKED I now have a working chariot.

So is that chariot using the normal horse with the tweak in the finger numbers , and the heater and footer of the elephant?
    Look great mate, really !!

Im having problems running this magnificent tool.. I have last python version, and cant run the GameObjectApplication
    Last edited by Krieg_Boy; December 19, 2008 at 03:35 PM.

Opifex

Wooo Bwian! That looks so finished!

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty,
    the tranquility of servitude greater than
    the animating contest for freedom, go
    home from us in peace. We seek not
    your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch
    down and lick the hand that feeds you,
    and may posterity forget that ye were
    our countrymen."
    -Samuel Adams

@KE
    Thanks again for all your help to make the new ballistas work! I was glad that I could help at least a little bit with noting a little bug.

@Bwian
    Wow, I never thought someone would really manage to make chariots, but you have proved the opposite! Just awesome!
    And finally I could try your tutorial to make an "elephant troll" (with new animations for the mace weapon) and after a lot of lost nerves it finally worked!! Thanks for the great tutorial!
    The only problem I see is that elephants use so few animations... Do you maybe know if it's possible to add some more animations (for example more attacks) to elephants or is this hardcoded? Or may it be somehow possible to use a normal unit's set of animations?
    Last edited by King Kong; December 21, 2008 at 07:36 AM.

Winner of 'Favorite M2TW Mod' and 'Favorite M2TW Modder' Award 2007 & 2008

coooooooool

Nearly done with the animations, so this should be ready for an alpha release DEFINITELY for Christmas

Those wishing to use it will need to be running with the unpacked folders and Caliban's released animations, and be able to run this in a mod folder to regenerate the files. As such, it is not really for the beginner, but more a base for the experienced mod teams to use. expand and improve on. It makes the things possible and gives a framework for people to build on.

As an extra plus, working with KnightErrant on this has helped to hone the tools and cleared out a few issues in GOAT to make things so much easier for those who want to play more with this stuff.

@KingKong.... yes, the elephant thing does impose somee limitations. I am going to experiment further to see what can be ironed out of the process...so it may be possible to do more. If not, this sort of thing is really for a few high impact creatures, so a lack of variation is not too much of an issue. From what I recall in the RTW animations, I noted a correlation between certain 'moves' and animations...where the moves seemed to be hardcoded and linked to the animations in descr_skeleton. If you did not have a certain move in the list, you got a crash. I think this may be hard-wired to the creature type. Still....there may be ways to get around this. Never know until you try! I don;t know what it would do if you put in more than 1 entry for the attack... it might use both. As with all this stuff.... it's a question of having a crazy idea and trying it. The tools are there, and this game engine is a GREAT sandbox. I'll still be messing about with this long after Empires comes out.

@Krieg Boy ... I just noticed your post. If you have the last version of Python ( version 3 ) it's not compatable with previous versions. Version 2.51 should work fine, or you could try the conversion tool on Python's website to convert the scripts to version 3.

The tools were written with the version 2.XX series.

chariots look cool
    Common sense removed due being Disruptive.

Indefinitely Banned

I'm making a slinger animation set using the extra sling bone.
    How do you convert an .ms3d unit with the extra bone to a .mesh?

Also, the milkshape keyframer interpolates keyframes. Do I need to set ever frame to be a keyframe in the animation before extracting to a .cas?
    Last edited by Banzai!; December 21, 2008 at 06:07 PM.

KnightErrant's Avatar Decanus

@Banzai,

Let me invert your question order. You've hit a very importatant point, both
    for Milkshape and for those users that use 3dsMax. Milkshape and 3ds Max
    are both very nice packages, they allow you to set keyframes and they fill
    frames between them nicely. Unfortunately, this information is calculated
    on the fly so you can't get at it programatically; either by backconverting
    a .ms3d file or by interrogating the controllers in Max Script. So you have
    to do what you said: convert all your animation work to keyframes in Milkshape or do it in 3ds Max. Max at least provides a TrackView which
    tells you how your frames are; Milkshape doesn't so you have to keep track
    yourself.

I've played a little with Max; make your anims then convert a nice set all
    to keyframes. I've forgotten how this is done but change the reds to greens is what I remember in TrackView. The exporter should work
    ok then. In Milkshape its set operate on selected bone and then
    CTRL-K to save the frame as a keyframe. After this it should export.

In either package the rule is: only keyframes are stored where a program
    can read them. The convenience in-between frames that they provide
    by interpolation can't be gotten at so are lost when when you extract a
    model and animation.

Indefinitely Banned

So how do you convert an ms3d with custom bones to a mesh?

Here is a guy with the extra sling bone:

I fear something has been lost in translation....
    Last edited by Banzai!; December 22, 2008 at 05:27 AM.

You have to zeroed joint first before doing any further changes, i believe that is what causing your animation to cripple. and what the heck is that huge peace in the middle?????? one thing is sure , you have created an abomination, lol!!