Thread: III. RTW AAR of the Month - Nominations

Icon2 III. RTW AAR of the Month - Nominations

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Cinque Terre Vineyard, Italy (oil painting by Paolo Bigazzi)

In Latin, septem means "seven" and septimus means "seventh"; September was in fact the seventh month of the Roman calendar until 153 BC. September is the month of grape harvest in many countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Horace
    Happy the man, who, remote from business, after the manner of the ancient race of mortals, cultivates his paternal lands with his own oxen, disengaged from every kind of usury; he is neither alarmed by the horrible trump, as a soldier, nor dreads he the angry sea; he shuns both the bar and the proud portals of citizens in power. Wherefore he either weds the lofty poplars to the mature branches of the vine; and, lopping off the useless boughs with his pruning-knife, he ingrafts more fruitful ones: or he takes a prospect of the herds of his lowing cattle, wandering about in a lonely vale; or stores his honey, pressed [from the combs], in clean vessels; or shears his tender sheep. Or, when autumn has lifted up in the fields his head adorned with mellow fruits, how does he rejoice, while he gathers the grafted pears, and the grape that vies with the purple, with which he may recompense thee, O Priapus, and thee, father Sylvanus, guardian of his boundaries!
    (Quote from Ode II. The praises of a country life.)

Nominate RTW AARs in this thread for the III. Competition.

Please try to stick to the formula of the following example:

From the Seven Hills - A Rome AAR
    Mod: Roma Surrectum
    Faction: Rome
    Difficulty: VH/VH

Description: This is a role-playing AAR starting in 480 AUC. It is told as a series of dialogues between generals. Image-heavy, etc.

Author's comments (or submitter's commments) (optional): This is my first AAR, etc.

Teaser (optional; a short excerpt in a spoiler with max. 5 big pictures (screenshots). If you're not familiar with spoiler tags, click here for help.)

I am Tiberius Maxentius, ruler of Rome, Roman arms shall conquer the world!

I am Aulus Maxentius, son of Tiberius, and unfortunate enough to look a lot like him...

I heard that, I may not be pretty, but who destroyed Pyrrhus' army? Who paved the way for the eventual conquest of Epiros by Macedon? Me, that's who. Have a look at the kingdom I have carved out for us:

Rules

Eligibility: 2 updates in September.
    A previously nominated AAR can enter the competition again and again.

Nomination deadline: the last day of the month (September 30).

Vote: after the monthly nomination period, a 1-week multi-poll vote will be held (on the first week of each month) to decide the winners.

Points: For each contest points will be awarded as follows:
    6 points for the winner
    3 points for the runner-up
    2 points for the third one

Awards: the winners qualify for the AAR Competition Medal. The medal will be awarded according to the following schedule:
    6 points - bronze medal
    12 points - silver medal
    24 points - golden medal

Categories. Expert adjudicators assigned by the editors shall rule on the following categories and give +1 extra point to the winner of the category:
    1 point - Best Narrative --the AAR that has the best narrative (regarding dialogues, characters, exposition, etc.) may earn this title
    1 point - Best Historical AAR --the historically most accurate or most intense AAR may earn this title, or the one told like in a history book
    1 point - Best Graphics -- the AAR with the overall best pictures may earn this title
    1 point - Best Battle Report -- the AAR with the cutting edge battle report may earn this title.

If you have questions or suggestions, post them here.
    Last edited by Aldgarkalaughskel; September 29, 2008 at 11:35 AM.

bomberboy's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: III. RTW AAR of the Month Competition - Nominations - deadline: September 30

Glory or Death
    Mod: Chivalry Total War
    Faction: France
    Difficulty: Medium/Medium
    Description: A soon to be revived AAR about the French King Phillipe and his quest to reuinte France and lead his people against their proper enemies. A mix of screenshot posts and non screenshot posts with bloodshed, sadness and family promises.

Teaser

Part 1

Fourth Battle

The unifacation of France was all most at hand and only Brittany, Normandy and Flanders were next. Then, France would be strong again. Stronger than ever before. I was busy with my son Francis in Brittany to take care of Flanders so I sent my adopted son Geoffroi de Brabant to take the city in the name of France. Of course this was not easy and he didn't how much men he would face. So he marched the several miles to Flanders from Angers with an army that was well equipped but few had combat experience. He was facing battle hardened foes that nearly ways defeated, the traitors and my ancestors armies in the field with their pike men and crossbowmen but I was comfident that he would win.

It turned out the main army was away and the city was lightly defended so he instantly took the city with an all out assault destroying its weak walls and his warriors rushed in and butchered the defenders almost to a man with minimal losses. The Flemish army however heard the news of the siege and quickly made it to the crossing point between the River Somme. To their complete surprise Geoffroi was waiting for them. Having interrogated prisoners of their whereabouts. The Flemish decided to attack, instead of defend. Reinforcements from the newly captured town was also coming in to help them.

Geoffroi: Looks like they plan to attack. Form the troops and await my orders
    Captain: Yes Sire.
    Captain: Form up!
    Advisor: Sire is this the right thing to do? They outnumber us by a-
    Geoffroi: By a small margin. We will win, you should know numbers do not count in war. Prepare yourself we'll be in for a tough fight.
    The army formed up on the north side of the river and faced the Flemish who were on the South Side. The Flemish began to cross the bridge, not before being pummeled by arrows, bolts and rocks.

The men braced themselves for the on coming storm. The best were placed at the front for the honour of killing the first enemy. The bridge filled up with so much men that some of our men should have paniced. But they held their ground.

The attack came and the fighting, I was told was like a power struggle. One would gain the upperhand and then lose it and have to win it back. But I was glad that we won the majority of them. The Flemish pikes were useless in this battle being in a battlefield where there was hardly any room to manouver.

Eventually the enemy general was in sight. The men recognised him and tried to take his head thus winning the battle. But it would have been difficult, surrounded by faithful troops and bodyguards he would be heavily protected.
    Our own men were being pounded by missiles as our missilemen had ran out after weaking the Flemish infantry and their own missile men.

Last edited by Aldgarkalaughskel; September 30, 2008 at 03:15 PM.
    Check out my Music reviews here now!
    Bomberboy's reviews
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=175306

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: III. RTW AAR of the Month Competition - Nominations - deadline: September 30

The Numidian Campaign

Mod: Vanilla
    Faction: Carthage
    Difficulty: Medium/Medium

Description: This is a centered character/scenario AAR, following the tragic subjugation of the Numidian tribesmen on Carthage's borders. Ashtartyaton Haedus, beloved of Ba'al, is the would-be conqueror. Will he succeed in his quest, or will the hardy men of the Sahara overcome the imperial might of Carthage?
    Chapter One- The Beginning
    I, Astyages Haedus, am beloved of Baal. I have his blessing in all of my goings and all of my doings. He travels with me wherever I go. I am his high priest on earth. With me I carry his holy statue, and it blesses me.

I left Thapsus a year ago, making my way through the harsh African desert, travelling through lands hostile to us. I gathered reinforcements at Cirta, and a fleet from Palma sent down Spanish cavalry. With these, and some turncoat Numidian mercenaries, I will conquer all of Africa for the greatness of Ba'al, and maybe even for Tanit!
    I have already defeated the tribesmen once. One of their princes, Balhanno, has engaged me in battle, whilst my troops were about to cross the bridge into Mauretania. I ordered my troops to form a crescent around the landing on our side, and not to venture too far out.

The impetuous Numidians charged across the bridge in a horde. Many were cut down by javelins from my Numidian allies. The fighting was fierce, and the Numidians, who were more used to throwing javelins than fighting hand-to-hand, were falling in droves. The same predicament afflicted my Numidians, however, and I pulled them out of the fight.

I also charged myself into the fray, seeing that the greater numbers of the enemy were beginning to tell somewhat. I spied Balhanno himself in the thick of the fighting. He was faring well in his heavy armor against the lighter armaments of my mercenaries. I saw him fell six of them with his sword!

Seeing the fighting rage on even after my appearance, I ordered a group of my Spanish cavalry to enter the fray. They were fresh and experienced, and had a decisive edge in their numbers as well. The swords of my cavalrymen flashed in the midday sun.
    Last edited by Aldgarkalaughskel; October 01, 2008 at 02:31 AM. Reason: inserted link

Napoleonic total war:British AAR

mod: Napoleonic total war 2
    Faction: British
    difficulty H (custom only mod)
    Description: A seiries of battles against france + allies
    "shall i line the troops up sir,the enamy advance." Colonel Adam said.
    "yes of course make sure no friendly fire is possible though" Replied General Bernard.
    The men were lined so that the french flanks were constantly pounded by fire no matter which way they faced.

the disorderly french lines ran towards the disiplined english troops who pumped round ofter round into the main body of the french.

the two flanking battalions who were hiding in a copse of wood slowly crept towards the french reserve old guard. Meanwhile the french centre was slowly reatreating under constant british bombardment ;the time had come to charge

as soon as the ranks made contact french units they began to slowly rout. A few muintes later the entire army was fleeing, bar one unit of old guard.

then the flanking battalions struck and broke the guard victory was ours!!

Last edited by Aldgarkalaughskel; September 13, 2008 at 04:49 PM.

Default Re: III. RTW AAR of the Month - Nominations - deadline: September 30

Across the Waters: A Story of the Migration

Mod: EB
    Faction: Aedui
    Difficulty: M/M

Description: Pressed hard by their age-old enemies, the rebel Arverni, the Aeduan warriors migrate to ancient Ireland, hoping to find a new home. Instead, they find only war, without and within. . .

Author's comments: I've been writing this story for the past six months. Never thought it would turn out like this. Enjoy!

Teaser:

Chapter XXIII: Clouds of War

I had seen Tancogeistla in the square of Emain-Macha many times in the intervening years, but he was always accompanied by the Brihentin of Malac, and I never spoke with him. All that changed on one bright day eleven years from the time of our departure from Gaul.
    I was working steadily in the gobacrado, sweating from the heat of the forge as I hammered a sickle into shape. All at once, a figure darkened the doorway. “You prosper, my son,” a voice announced calmly.
    I looked up into the bearded face of Tancogeistla. His hair was growing gray, and he walked a little slower, but otherwise he was the same man I had known. “My lord!” I exclaimed, dropping my hammer with a crash.
    He smiled, waving the Brihentin in behind him. They were the same men who had accompanied him for years. “Cadwalador, my son,” he whispered, embracing me. “I have come to enlist your help.”
    “In what, my lord?
    “Raising an army,” he retorted, watching for my reaction.
    “I am no warrior,” was my weak reply. I was amazed by his boldness in front of his guards.
    He apparently sensed my hesitation. “These men are my friends, Cadwalador,” he laughed, “you can speak freely in front of them.”
    I shook my head. “I still say, the warrior’s way is not mine. You should know that more than anyone else. Raise your army. I will remain at my forge.”
    “The army is not mine.”
    His words startled me. “Then whose?”
    “The Vergobret’s. Malac’s. He has decided that this island is not enough for us.”
    “Where does he intend to go? Back to Gaul?”
    “He has not told me. But I need your help.”
    “I have helped you all I intend to,” I replied, some of the old bitterness rising to the surface. That in itself disturbed me. I thought I had put that behind me.
    “All the gobacrados in Emain-Macha have been called upon to provide weapons and armor for the soldiers being raised. I would be pleased if you would cooperate.”
    There was something underlying his words, a veiled threat. I stared into his eyes. “Why this sudden eagerness to help Malac?”
    “Every man is duty-bound to aid his state in time of trouble,” he replied piously. I could detect no sarcasm there, but I could sense something. Something was wrong.
    But for now I saw no choice but to go along. “I will take your orders for weapons,” I replied. “I presume I will be paid fairly.”
    He nodded, glancing at his guards. “It’s time we were going. Good-day, my son.”
    “Good-day, my lord.”

The orders came pouring in within a matter of days, swords, spear-tips, armor, helmets. Several of the requests pushed my skill to the limit, but I did my best. Troops were being raised from the native population, the Goidils, and numerous of them were in and out of the gobacrado constantly.
    Many of the locals were levied into bands of Vellinica, light spearmen who could hopefully be trusted to hold our line better than the Lugoae I had fought with in the army of Tancogeistla.

Others, many of the younger Goidils, were formed into groups of Cladaca(Sword Carriers), fast light infantry who could hurry from point to point on the battlefield to reinforce weak spots. They were armed with darts and short swords, many of which I forged.

I had seen many warriors, fought beside them in the isle of tin, seen them die beside me. But when a tall, flame-haired man stepped into the gobacrado about three months after Tancogeistla’s visit, I realized that I had never seen one to match him.
    He introduced himself as Lugort, and I realized almost right away that he was a native of the island, if the Goidils had any right to be called such.
    I almost laughed when he told me his mission—to secure a number of large hammers. I was instantly glad I hadn’t, for Lugort was not a laughing man.
    “It is this army your Tancogeistla is raising,” he replied in response to my query. “He has called on me and my warriors to aid him.”
    I just looked at him. “You use hammers to fight?”
    “Ordmalica,” he replied simply, which I was to learn meant “hammer fighters”.

He went on, “It is the weapon of Dagda, with which he forged the creation and with which he punishes those who war against him.”
    My thoughts went instinctively to my conversation with Motios. Man warring against God. Utter foolishness.
    “. . .you can make what I need?” Lugort was asking, pulling me from my reverie. I acknowledged his question with a nod. “Easily.” I gestured to a table full of forged swords. “Far easier than I made those.”
    He sniffed perceptibly. “A sword is a fool’s weapon. It will fail you in your hour of need.”
    I shot a sharp look in his direction, his words piercing to my heart. Did he know? There was no way, and yet he spoke the truth. Nine years had passed and yet I could still feel that sword being ripped from my grasp with the force of Cavarillos’ blow, see Inyae rushing from the darkness to shield me.
    “I know,” I replied simply. He looked at me, a question in his eyes, but it went unasked. Clearly my reply was unusual for an Aeduan.
    “I will return in two weeks. Your pay will be ready then.”
    “Agreed.”

Ogrosan was approaching and yet the task of preparing the army continued, more and more men pouring into Emain-Macha until I thought the city could not contain them all. I questioned every visitor to the gobacrado to find out the object of our invasion, but no one seemed to know.
    One evening, as I was banking the fires of my forge, I heard laughter outside the door. Just as I was about to look out, the door swung open and Berdic lurched in, dragging a pretty tavern wench behind him. He was clearly in his cups, and she was just as drunken.
    “News for you, lad!” he exclaimed, clapping me roughly on the shoulder.
    “Yes?” I asked, not expecting anything important. It was hardly his first such intrusion into my privacy.
    “Malac rode in at sunset,” he slurred, squeezing the girl tightly to him. She laughed at him and pulled away. “H-he was in the tavern, talking. Said we was going across the sea—to a place called Attu-something.”
    “Attuaca?” I demanded, my heart nearly stopping. Surely not.
    He looked up at me through bleary, bloodshot eyes. “That’s it, my old friend. Attu-Aca. You’ve heard of it?”
    I pushed him aside roughly and strode toward the door. The girl giggled drunkenly at my hurry, but I had no time to heed her laughter.
    My horse was tied in front of the gobacrado and I swung onto his back, grasping the reins in my hand. I needed to find Tancogeistla.
    Visions of the hospitality we had enjoyed at Attuaca flashed through my mind. Now we were returning, to lay siege with fire and sword. It could not be. Not if there was any way to stop it.
    I kicked my horse into a gallop as I rode out under the night sky, a premonition of doom enfolding me. The clouds of war were gathering. . .
    Last edited by Aldgarkalaughskel; September 19, 2008 at 03:38 PM. Reason: link inserted
    Son of PW

Juvenal's Avatar love your noggin
    Patrician Content Emeritus

The Spite of Severus

Mod: IBFD 7.03
    Faction: Picts
    Difficulty: H/H

Description: In 410AD the Diocese of Britannia, isolated by the betrayal of Constantine III in Gaul, was officially abandoned by the Emperor Honorius. The Romano-British found themselves hemmed in by Gaels, Picts and Saxons.

The barbarians have swept across the fair land of Britannia, master-minded by the Roman renegade, Severus Alexander, only the brave knights of the Vortigern (high-king) of Britannia stand between survival and extinction for this furthest outpost of Roman civilisation.

Author's comments: Severus would probably contest the above description, but he actually cares little for posterity, preferring to concentrate on building his power, and taking revenge on the Romano-British nobility who have snubbed him. If you read this AAR you will learn about many of the dirty tricks employed by Severus to make up for the militia armies that are all he has to work with.

Teaser:
    Angus then appeared behind the enemy with his Mormaers and for a moment I thought it was all over, but the Romans grimly continued to fight on, now back to back. My men were becoming exhausted, only my Milites still putting up much of a fight. The road along which we had been pushed back was carpeted with our fallen warriors, appalling evidence of the brutal efficiency of Vortimer's cavalry.

Vortimer was by now dismounted thanks to a lucky strike by one of my armoured spearmen, who sadly hadn't lived long to enjoy his triumph. Vortimer's flashing spatha made mesmerising curves and loops as he laid about him with manic strength.

But then in the shadow of the building behind him I saw a door open and a dark figure step out. The figure walked briskly up to Vortimer from behind, grabbed his sword arm and plunged a long knife deep into his back

As Vortimer fell, a moan of dismay could be heard from his remaining Equites, soon drowned out by shouts of triumph from my freshly enthused warriors. The dark figure slipped away in the confusion as the final slaughter commenced.
    Last edited by Juvenal; September 23, 2008 at 09:09 AM.
    imb39 ...is my daddy!
    See AARtistry in action: Spite of Severus and Severus the God

Support the MAARC!
    Tale of the Week Needs You!

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

(click the banner above to be directed to the AAR)

Mod: Roma Surrectum v1.5b
    Faction: Syracuse

When an offer of goodwill and friendship to the Romans is rudely turned down, the King Agathocles of Syracuse turns to Carthage seeking the same things. The offer accepted, Agathocles sets his eyes on Italy, remembering the arrogance and unpoliteness of Rome. In a bid to cement Syracuse's relationship to Carthage, the King decides to attack Rome, already a long-time enemy of Carthage. And so, his son Prince Hiero, along with other lieutenants, set out to Italy, against great odds, to bring down the rising star of Rome.

Last edited by Aldgarkalaughskel; October 01, 2008 at 02:32 AM. Reason: inserted link alert

Hispanian Kingdom - The Western Frontier

Author: Greve af Göteborg
    Mod: RS 1.5
    Difficulty: VH/H

Description: This AAR is part of a larger interactive community AAR, re-enacting and rewriting the history of ancient Carthage. It tells the story of Hannibal, a young and talented general who is the supreme ruler of the Carthaginian colonies in Hispania, and his brothers under his command, Hasdrubal and Burrhus, as they venture into the dangerous lands of the Iberian tribes. Involves role-playing and massive battle reports.

Teaser

Tyndraeus hoplites advanced to my position and my skirimishers opened fire .

Massina also got attacked by the elite hoplites.

My phalanxes had now advanced to the front and were devastating the enemy .

Tyndraeus sent more soldiers into the fray .

I ordered my bodyguard to charge into the hoplites backs and cause them to flee of terror!

Last edited by Aldgarkalaughskel; September 27, 2008 at 12:45 AM.

The Legacy of Megas Alexandros

Author: Lysimachos
    Faction: Seleucid Empire
    Difficulty: N.A.

Description: An immersive and detailed portrayal of the Seleucid King's and his heir's campaign in Asia, as they try to step into the place of Alexander. According to the makedon tradition of a military kingdom, a king gets his legitimation by leading the army to victory.

Teaser

Chapter 6: When lightning strikes

It is time. Time to return to a place, where a name has been made for oneself.

Sixty-six years ago Megas Alexandros passed the Kilikia Pylai, the kilikian gates, before descending into Kilikia Pedias, where he fought the battle of Issos. Now, another host came through the Pylai, in opposite direction, coming from the fruitful plains and heading into the mountainous Anatolia.
    It took a whole week until the army has completely traversed through, because the Pylai are just wide enough to let a packed horse pass. The chariots and heavy equipment had to be disassembled, transported by mules through the constriction and then put together again.
    It was a cumbersome transgression, but soon the plateau opened and the Taurus lay behind them.

The Basileus ton Basileon has assembled a strong army which he now leads into Asia Mikra and a contingent of armenian light infantry and cavalry who traveled along the persian royal road from Sophene add to its strength.

Antiochos is on his way into the heart of Asia Mikra. Once he has defeated the galatian hordes in a memorable battle where the battle plan of Theodotos Rhodios and sixteen elephants saved the day against the overwhelming numbers of the Barbaroi. The galatian advance had been stopped in this battle, the Greeks from Asia Mikra saved, a victory that gave him the name of Soter, the saviour.
    Now is Antiochos again on his way onto the peninsula, one of his greatest days in his mind. He always knew about the importance of this region for the prosperity of the kingdom, but he has not been able to impede the loss of influence, until only a narrow strip of land from Kappadokia through Phrygia to Lydia remained. Antiochos plans to get a firmer grip on the peninsula again.
    To achieve this, he has mobilized a grand army and his first strike will be directed at the Galatians, who rule central Anatolia and who have to be dealt with by anyone who tries to dominate Asia Mikra.

Early morning's mist still hangs in the slender dell. The men silently move forward. They are Armenians and used to mountainous terrain. Still without a sound they leave the cover between the hills and pour into the opening fields forming a crescent around the settlement that lies dozily in front of them. The circle closes, as the speed increases. In ghastly silence the men overcome the guards, break into the town, ingress the huts and houses, do their bloody work, screened by the horsemen who hunt down anyone who tries to escape.
    Like a lightning's strike have they come over Tavium, main settlement of the Trokmoi, on of the three galatian tribes, cutting of the tribe's head.

With the aid of local guides did Antiochos lead his men through concealed valleys, hiding his approaching army despite of its size, until it was to late for the Gauls to unite in resistance. The Trokmoi don't pose a thread anymore and the seleucid King heads for Ankyra, where the Tectosages dwell.

Ankyra is the largest settlement of the galatian invaders, the seat of their three tribes' council. Although the Tectosages have received word of the intrusion it has been to late to call for help from the Tolistobogioi who live in the west and to muster a large army.

Last edited by Aldgarkalaughskel; September 27, 2008 at 12:48 AM.

Kingdom of Sicily - The Eastern Theater of War

Author: drazeN
    Difficulty: VH/H

Description: This AAR is part of a larger interactive community AAR, re-enacting and rewriting the history of ancient Carthage. It tells the story of Theophanes and Theodekles (with a casual visit of Hanno, their father), young, talented generals and full brothers who are the supreme rulers of the Carthaginian colonies in Sicilia, facing the most fearsome warriors of the era: the Syracusian and Roman infantry. Involves role-playing and massive battle reports.

Teaser

Seeing their fear, I decided to talk to them.

"Carthaginians! Brothers! I am not a man of eloquent lies such as the Romans. I am a man of ACTION. So I will say to you this:

Run or stay! But if you stay, fight to the death. Fight for your mothers, fathers, sisters and brothers, so they won't be sold to slavery. Fight to survive. Fight for our freedom. And keep in mind, that you are the spearheads of our empire right now, no men is more important then you, not even the Kings, not even me. I will fight just like you, as my life is not more precious than yours."

After this speech not even a single man decided to leave. Seeing this, I ordered them to move swiftly towards the place where the Sicanis have barricaded themselves.

"Faster, faster! Rush them!" - I shouted. Soon we found them hiding like cowards. So pathetic. That's why they'll never make kings and emperors.

Our soldier were on fire by now, and as the infantry fronts met, they roared like elephants.

The old mountains looked upon us with grief and sorrow. They have seen quite a lot of battles, and I bet this wasn't the last time. At least for centuries to come...

Last edited by Aldgarkalaughskel; September 27, 2008 at 04:39 AM.

♔Old Dragoon♔'s Avatar I'm Your Huckleberry
    Content Emeritus

Sons of Rome: A Prequel to Glory, Honor, and Empire AAR

Mod: Rios IBFD Beyond Roman Glory (Justinian Campaign)
    Faction: Eastern Roman Empire
    Difficulty: Hard / Hard

Description: This is a biography/interactive style AAR about Belisarius told through the eyes of Procopius. There will be great challenges on the road to greatness for Belisarius, and Procopius will be there to tell it. With the help of those who are interested, strategic decisions can be decided on Belisarius fate. Will he go the historical route, or will he do something crazy and land his army in Brittania? The choice is yours or not!

Teaser:

Introduction: A Dying Emperor or Empire?

Justinian seemed to never sleep. Even in these advanced years of 'eighty-two' his pace still seemed not to wain. Looking over legislative documents, legal papers, and military transcriptions, he seemed to never stop. He gazed over each of the parchments not missing one. He dicated responses to his court scribes for each no matter how insignificant some were. However, this night he seemed to not be as alert as normal, causing uneasy concern from the court. Whispers and quick gazes of the emperor were could be seen. Justinian, was aware of it, and he tried to make himself more comfortable, but it was in vain. The emperor seated at his richly ordained, but tactful, throne brought his golden goblet to his lips to sip his wine one last time before he retired. His face turned pale, and looked around confused, he dropped the goblet causing a tremendous crash on the highly polished marble floor of the Great Palace. Justinian then clutched both hands to his chest and started wheezing uncontrollably, and soon toppled out of throne onto the marble whincing in pain from the crash.

Afterward the attendees of the court rushed to his aid, but still in shock of what was displayed before them. Justinian looked around the palace and then his eyes became transfixed on a simple scene on a palace mosaic. One of the hundreds that adorned the walls of the Great Palace.

Being carried away still looking at the mosaic a smile seemed to form though he was agonizing in pain. What mystery could this be? Why this mosaic? One attendant shouted, "Get the physician to the emperor's bedchamber immediately! He is in distress!" The attendants rushed Justinian to his bedchamber trying with all there will to make their emperor confortable. Still rincing in pain Justinian still had this peculiar grin on his face. "Sire, the physician is on his way!" said one, "Sire, is there anything we can do for you to ease your suffering?" said another. Justinian raieed up and bellowed out with all his remaining strength, "Vig..il....lantiiiiiaaaa!!"

The attendants looked at each other, and tears began to well up in there eyes. One attendant said, "Is he...crying out for his mother (in a soft voice)?" Some shrugged to not be sure, some concurred he indeed cried out for his mother, but was it deeper than that? Tears and sweat were dripping off the emperor's face profusely, and as quick as Justinian sat up he dropped back down, but that peculiar grin remained as if etched on his face. The attendents tried to straighten out his arms so he could rest better till the physician arrived, but Justinian would not cooperate. Finally after several attendants joined in they relaxed the arms and even unclutched one of the fists, and a coin crashed to the floor.

An attendant picked up the coin and looked it over and then grinned with almost the same grin that the was fixed on the emperor's face. The coin was passed around, and all the attendants now bore the same grin. A great silence followed, as if everyone had been transported to a different time, a time when the impossible seemed possible, when hope could be restored. This was the time of the Sons of Rome!

Last edited by ♔Old Dragoon♔; September 30, 2008 at 04:59 PM.

The Invasion of Italy - A Macedonian AAR

Author: [user]Bona221[/user]
    Faction: Macedon

Description: The story of the invasion of Italy by Macedonia.

Teaser:
    Croton

“Ha! Take that, you whore!” the Roman soldier said, pushing the woman to the ground.

There were four Roman soldiers attacking this defenseless woman.

“Please, no, leave us be!” she pleaded.

“But love, we’ve come all this way, don’t disappoint us!” the Roman soldier grabbed at her as she kicked him in the face. He put his hand to his face, and saw the blood now dripping from it.

“You whore! You –“ a spear struck him through the throat. He fell to the ground with a loud thud. Several Hoplites of Tarentum sprung from the brush and quickly speared two more Romans. One more began to run, and as he reached the top of the hill, he froze. There, just down the hill, stood some two thousand Macedonian soldiers. As he stood there, totally in shock, a spear pierced through his back, another hoplite had gotten behind him.

“Charge, men of Tarentum, take revenge on your oppressors!” Aristoxenus yelled, leading his men into the fray.

An enraged Aristoxenus attacks a surprised Roman army

The Roman army was confused at first, as they had no idea they would be attacked from the rear, least of all by Macedonians. Their hearts were struck with fear as they saw the Macedonian army approach.

The army of Tarentum approaches their prey

"This is the day we turn the tables, men!" Aristoxenus yelled "this is the day we give justice to all of those who have died fighting the Romans!"

Aristoxenus, being of Tarentum decent himself, felt a burning hate for the Romans just as fierce as any other man's in this army. He truly wished to see the Romans suffer. He held joy seeing the Romans charge at them, as it gave him peace of mind that he would indeed kill Romans this day.

The Romans prepare to fight the Macedonians

However, the Roman line stopped. Aristoxenus, having fought the Romans before during the Apulanian uprising, had an idea of Roman tactics. He knew they would advance no further, unless provoked.

"Cavalry, break off to the right!" Aristoxenus barked.

Soon, the cavalry did as they were told.

Macedonian cavalrymen flanking the Romans

The Pontic Expedition

New updates can be located here

Author: Austen Bin
    Mod: Roma Surrectum 1.5
    Difficulty: Not specified

Description: This AAR tells the story of Rome's Epic conquest of Pontus and Asia Minor, of their struggles against the mighty Seleucid Empire, of Pontus's spirited defence, and of the brave men who fought and died on both sides in what proves to definitely not be a one-sided conflict.

Teaser:

North Valley pass, winter, 553Auc;

The VII Claudia waited for weeks for the IV Scythia to come up. Then it waited months. There had been almost no word from anywhere in Asia Minor for some time, and Titus Corvinius was beginning to feel isolated and alone.

Every morning, the legion was roused, took its morning meal, marched a mile and a half to its defensive position and formed in battle order to wait for the Seleucids.

There they waited all day, telling the same old stories to one another and then telling them again. When the Seleucids didn’t come, the legion march a male and a half back to camp for evening meal and bedded down for the night only to do the same thing the next day.

One day, while they sat under a sun that no longer offered much heat through the cold that now drifted down off the mountains, a dust cloud appeared at the far end of the valley. Everyone knew it was the Seleucids finally coming to counter attack. The day after, the cloud came closer and the men's spirits rose with anticipation. Still the next day they could smell the enemy army on the wind and by days end the Seleucid camp was in view.

Titus scouted the enemy that night and found that the enemy brought elephants along with them; the same beasts who took part in the destruction of the III Italica.

Morning came again, and Titus knew that a battle awaited him before nightfall. His troops were displaying what he could only describe as a somber cheeriness as they marched through that now all-too-familiar mile and a half to their defensive positions.

It was mid-afternoon before the Seleucids finally were in attack formation.

Though still daylight, the sun dipped below the western mountains, filling the valley with soft shadows. It might have been a pretty sight to the casual observer, but the armies who now filled the land had only thoughts of death and glory on their minds.
    Last edited by Aldgarkalaughskel; October 01, 2008 at 02:27 AM.

An Encyclopedic history: The Rise of Rome

Author: [user]Calvin[/user]
    Faction: Roma
    Difficulty:

Description:
    Here I undertake perhaps the most ambitious task of any scribe; to record the entire history of Rome from the fall of Cannae to it’s height of Empire. In these annals will be the history of every legion, every battle, every general, every consul and every emperor from 473 A.U.C. to this very day. Included are countless images, enhanced by the most skilled artistes of this time, to bring our history to life.
    Teaser:

The Battle of Apollonia - 476 AUC

Background

The death of Pyrrhus and Kreon lead to the complete withdrawal of Epeirot forces from the Italian peninsular and a triumph for the victorious Consul Tiberius Maxentius. Publius Maecenus was elected as Consul alongside Tiberius the following year, and they began to repair the badly bruised Legio I. Croton was the final city in the south of Italy to resist Roman rule, and soon greedy senate eyes began turning towards it.

Tiberius on the other hand had other ideas. His fellow Consul was a mere youngster, a pawn in the hands of powerful patrician families. He ordered Maecenus to rebuild Aulus shattered part of Legio I at Neapolis while his own veteran troops marched south to Tarentum. There, he ignored explicit instructions from the senate and set sail for Epeiros itself.

The Kingdom of Epeiros was trying to rebuild what little credibility it had left by raising an army and threatening western Macedonia. However, in the summer of 476 AUC Tiberius Maxentius and the veteran soldiers of Legio I landed on its shores and immediately laid siege to Apollonia. Prince Dicaeus sent word frantically to his cousin Eudorus who quickly led the main army back towards the city.

In the winter of 476 AUC, Eudorus and Dicaeus faced the veteran army of Tiberius Maxentius - hero of Rome - on the fields outside of Apollonia. Defeat for the Epeirots would spell certain doom for their kingdom, whereas Maxentius would find himself in severe trouble with the Senate if things went ill.

The Battle

Legio I advanced in good order towards the lines of pikeman and skirmishers. Each man knew his duty, and had absolute faith in their leader who was the most dedicated and talented general of Rome of his generation.

The battle began with a volley of javelins from the velites. A group of Greek swordsmen who had ventured near withered under the assault and hurriedly turned back.

Stung by this first attack, the Epeirot cavalry stormed forward, slicing through the ranks of velites and hitting the hastati on the right flank forcefully. The brave sons of Rome stood their ground even under this deadly assault, and soon the sound of thundering hooves from two contingents of equites crashed into the Greek horsemen.

While the right flank fought off the Greek cavalry, the Roman centre faced an altogether more dangerous foe. Lines of elite Epeirot pikemen slowly marched in step towards them, determined to drive this foreign invader from their soil.

As the last remnants of the Epeirot cavalry fled from the onslaught of the equites, Eudorus himself charged them with his bodyguard emulating his hero Alexander. The right flank continued to make ground even with the prince personally fighting.

Icon1 Re: III. RTW AAR of the Month - Nominations - deadline: September 30

Yet another Greek AAR

Author: [user]dirty_M[/user]
    Mod: XGM
    Faction: Greek Cities

Description:
    This AAR will be a campaign overview. Although I plan of posting lots of big battles, I want to share with the viewer my strategic insites on the campaign as it progresses. Such as budgeting, recruitment, city development, population control, plans of expansion or defense, ect. But without flooding the viewer with too much information.
    Teaser:

The Romans knew venturing twards Epirus would be disasterous. Instead they marched twards Thessaly.

A few turns back, I adopted a young Macedonian named Podalnos. I saw that he had potential to be a competant field commander, so had him lead the new army I raised in Larrisa. I sent Podalnos into his very first battle against a fierce adversary.

I deployed my phalanx into two lines. To the imediate left and right of the primary phalanx were my Thureophoroi. To the left and right of the reserve phalanx were Hoplites and Thorakitai. And to the rear of the reserve phalanx were two units of Athenian hoplites. The cavalry were deployed on either wing.

The Romans were trapped in the base of a gully. I marched my army twards the ridge. It looked like I had a good chance to bulldoze the Romans against the rock formation at the bottom of the pit. That would have had the trapped and facing total destruction.

Now comes the classic suicidal general charge.

The Iberian Peninsula

Author: [user]King Arthuro[/user]
    Mod: XGM
    Faction: Iberia
    Difficulty: VH/VH

Description: Campaign overview of the Iberian faction as it emerges from the humble beginnings to a mighty empire. Picture-heavy.

Teaser:
    Chapter Four: Italia
    Part Four: Almost there

The seemingly invincible Roman armies bitted the dust. The brave Iberians landed on their coasts and defeated many of those Roman soldiers. With hardly any enemy armies left we continued the conquest of Italia. However, the Germanic tribes and what was left of the Gauls kept invading our territory. Palben, our new promising general, attacked one of the Gallic armies that besieged one of our settlements north of the Alps

The enemy saw us and charged. Those barbarians don't have any discipline.

Soon they routed

They aren't a real thread

The legendary Mikel was about to slain another Roman army together with Gergori. They fought quite some battle together

The Pyrrhic Dynasty

Link to the new updates

Author: MarcusAureliusAntoninus
    Faction: Makedon
    Difficulty:VH/M

Description: This is a Mod that continues from MarcusAureliusAntonius's (MAA) Makedon AAR. At the end of his first AAR the Makedon's are clearly the world power. MAA roleplays this new AAR in the form of a civil war. It features large and epic battles and enlightens us as to the various family members that are vying for control of the empire.

Teaser:

Chapter 69 : The Syrian War (Part I):
    The Fringes

Africa

While Philippos leads a huge invasion force of Makedones and allies in an invasion of Syria, a much smaller invasion into his own territory takes place in Africa. Numidian and Mauretanian forces once again attack the city of Ippone, but this time they are lead by an exiled noble from the conquered city of Kart-Hadast:

Dispite their skilled leader, they met the same fate as every other invasion attempt of the city:

In the city of Kart-Hadast, things are much different than what the exiles chose to believe. After the initial slaughter by Neokles, Pyrrhos had managed to achieve order in the city and managed a friendly peace with its Phoenician inhabitants as well as the Lybian and Numidian locals of the region. Though the region had been conquered, with many enslaved, there is almost no current discontentment from within the Makedonike controled territories. Many were even glad that the city had been conquered. The people of Kart-Hadast had always been traders and the inclusion into the Arche Makedonia had opened new trade routes to the eastern parts of the Arche that had been previously unavailable due to the war between Kart-Hadast and the Arche Makedonia.

The exiled nobles did not care what it was like back in their city, though. They only wanted their senate reinstated and the Makedones out of Africa. Although the war with Numidia and Mauretania had been a small issue for the Arche Makedonia, it was ever the small itch needing scratching.

Assyria

As part of the invasion of the Demetrid controlled east, the descendants of the Thraikioi who had settled in Armenia had taken up arms and marched south into eastern Assyria. While besieging the Demetrid garrison at Arbela, an army of reinforcements from Babylonia attacks these Thraikioi, marking the first battle in this new Syrian War:

The Thraikioi line up to face the reinforcement army attacking from the north, but are surprised when the Demetrid men simply stall for time. The Thraikioi are surprised again when it is actually the small number of phalangitai and kataphraktoi from the city that strike first:

While the bulk of the Thraikioi force hold the line, the cavalry and elite forces move to face the enemy forces approaching from the city of Arbela:

The Chronicle's of Lucius Julius

Author: [user]Templar Knight[/user]
    Mod: SPQR

Description: a tale of massive battles, lies and backstabbing all focused around one man Lucius Julius a Roman general from Northern Iberia.

Teaser

The Chronicle’s of Lucius Julius

Part 3

Rome’s Vengeance 2of 2
    As the Iberians marched forward to engage the Romans in battle Lucius wanting to protect his right flank ordered a battalion of cavalry out to the right flank of his battle line. The one battalion of cavalry wouldn’t turn back a large Iberian attack on the flank, but it would delay it enough for Lucius to dispatch some of his auxiliary spearmen off to fight off any attack on the flank.

As the Roman cavalry moved to the right flank of the Roman line an egger young Iberian cavalry officer ordered his cavalry to move away from the Iberian main body and attack the Roman right flank. Lucius watched the cavalry break away from the Iberian main army and sent the order for his cavalry on the right flank to engage and hold the Iberian cavalry.

The two forces of cavalry met each other in a large crash. Men and horses let out screams of pain as spears pierced into there flesh, and swords hacked off limbs. The Roman cavalry successfully held the Iberian cavalry in place.

Lucius watched as the cavalry fought each other. It didn’t take long before he gave the order for a battalion of his spear auxiliary off to aide the Roman cavalry in there battle against the Iberian’s. The spear auxiliary charged into the Iberian cavalry and started to lay waste to them.

Atruscis watched as his cavalry was being destroyed by the Romans, so he dispatched some infantry off to aide his cavalry. Now as Atruscis’ main army closed in on the Romans the Roman archer auxiliary notched their arrows, set the tips on fire, and sent devastating volleys of fire arrows down onto the Iberians. The Iberians began to loose their formations as soldiers huddled under their shields as the arrows rained down on them. Atruscis shouted for his men to push forward through the Roman arrows.