Thread: [Preview] new Thracians

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Default [Preview] new Thracians

Preview for new Thracian faction:

Campaign Position:

The Thracians have been changed from the northern Getae tribe to the nearly-dissolved Odrysian Kingdom in 280BC.

The Odrysian kingdom was once an union of all Thracian tribes, including Getae. But it's no more in 280 BC. The kingdom is now just a title - it had been divided and lost control over other tribes for many decades, and the once fearsome Thracian warriors have become subjects of Macedonians.

Historically the Thracians were pwned by Celts in 279BC, one year into the campaign; the kingdom survived but no longer played any major role in upcoming conflicts. But as a player your mission is to change the history!

The original dacian AOR in RTR have been divided to Dacia and Thrace, each has its own set of troops, to show the difference between Southern Thracian tribes and the Nothern ones such as Getae.

Thracian AOR (the last is bodyguard cavalry)
    Native / Late-period Units
    Dacian AOR
    Greek AOR

New Units:

Rhomphaiaphoroi

Two-handed rhomphaia-bearers; They replace Tarabostes as the elite and commanding warriors in Thracian tribes. The Rhomphaiaphoroi are terrible butchers who can chop enemy infantry like chickens, and probably the best unit in single combat. However, unlike the elite warriors in other barbarian tribes, they are very specialized and should never be used alone without support troops, especially when facing missile fire or cavalry charge.

Thorakismenoi Hippakontistai

Medium skirmish cavalry; An evolved version of Thraikioi Hippakontistai, similar to other eastern cavalry bearing the same name. They're cheap and capable of melee combat, and best to be used to confuse the enemy and support other heavy cavalry after a successful charge.

Thorakismenoi Peltastai

Armoured peltastai; "light" and fast moving skirmisher unit, but they're able to fight in tight formation with shorter version of rhomphaia, much like Legionaries or Thorakitai. The Thorakismenoi Peltastai is a very versatile unit and should form the backbone of Thracian army in your late campaign.

Epilektoi Hippotoxotai

Chosen Horse-archers; Regional unit in the vast steppe area and northern dacia, where many nobles have the tradition of horse archery due to their contacts with Scythians and Sarmatians. They're good horse archers with high melee attack & defense skills.

Following units are temporarily removed until I fix them:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Kontophoroi

Lancers; The Thracian version of cataphract in eastern regions. They still retain the classical thracian style but the horses are barded with studded leather for defense. The result is a heavy cavalry force with decent protection against eastern bows and light javelins, while maintaining the speed and stamina of both the rider and the mount.

Rhomphaiapherontes Phalangitai

Rhomphaia-bearing Pikemen; A special anti-cavalry unit in eastern regions. The spearhead of their pike is a long blade, armour-piercing and capable of thrusting as well as cutting; these men also carry shorter rhomphaia for close combat. Unlike Hellenistic Phalangitai, they don't fight in phalanx formation, and the pike is only used to resist against cavalry charge.

AOR Dacian units from Arbaces's Heirs of Atlantis II

Getikoi Demotikoi and Getikoi Peltastai

Getikoi Kometai and Getikoi Hippotoxotai

________
    Harmed By Avandia
    Last edited by AqD; September 20, 2011 at 08:31 AM.

Default Re: [Preview] new Thracians

Units look very good.

Just one thing: the last unit in the list (the one that uses Pikes) I think it would be very hard to use such a long weapon for slashing:hmmm:
    "He will die, but you will be destroyed" - Marion. From the AAR "Sword of Albion" by Theodotos I.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Weapons like Ji or Halberd can do that. However, the animation is piercing only, and they'd switch to secondary weapon as soon as the enemy is within range.
    ________
    LindaCarter cam
    Last edited by AqD; September 20, 2011 at 08:32 AM.

Delvecchio1975's Avatar Primicerius

i must say, after seeing three previews, I'm impressed. i think i might try this ....

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

UPDATE: add aor dacian units from Heirs of Atlantis II. Thanks Arbaces!
    ________
    Bukashkik
    Last edited by AqD; September 20, 2011 at 08:36 AM.

congrats aqd on the continued marvellous work.

Q.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Thanks! BTW how do you think of my parthian units? Anything I should add or improve?
    ________
    TiffanySQUIRT
    Last edited by AqD; September 20, 2011 at 08:36 AM.

This looks excellent. The bodyguard unit for the Thracians looks a lot like the Molosson Agema from EB though. Nothing wrong with that.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

It's one of RTR's original units. The northern dacian tribes certainly didn't have cavalry armed like that, and I cannot tell if southern thracian tribes used them. It'll be kept until I find something better
    ________
    Wellbutrin sickness
    Last edited by AqD; September 20, 2011 at 08:44 AM.

Indefinitely Banned

Great units but I don't like one... Rhomphaiapherontes Phalangitai's helmet

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Because...... it's made before I learned how to switch helmets