Thread: Star Wars Empire At War

Legio XII's Avatar Semisalis

Default Star Wars Empire At War

Does anyone here remember that god-awful attempt at a Star Wars RTS that was Star Wars: Battlegrounds? Well, if you do, please, by all means, forget it.

I say this because redemption has arrived in the form of Empire at War. First off, I will start with the good. The game utilizes its own engine this time, instead of borrowing yesteryear's "Age of Mythology" engine and dropping Star Wars skins on them as was done in Battlegrounds. This lends itself to displaying 3D units on the battlemap that, while not stunning, (at least on my mediocre rig), are quite good and actually respond to the laws of physics, behaving as they would in the real world.

Believe it or not, the battle system on land is actually rather refreshing, compared to other RTS games. When playing in Campaign or Galactic Conquest mode (more on those later), you do not simply gather resources, dump them off at a command center, and pump out gargantuan armies. Instead, you follow what might happen in a real battle.

As an attacker, you must first gain control of the space above the planet. Then, with a secure orbit you must bring in ground forces from one of your planets, and land them on the surface in an attempt to gain control of the planet. In order to land your units on the surface, you must take control of landing zones, which both increase the number of units you can have on the ground at once, and where you may land them. For example, as an attacker, you start out with a single landing zone which allows you to have a maximum of four units on the ground at one time(sometimes as few as two). If you want to land a larger force, you will have to send out infantry to capture other landing zones and land more units. You cannot, unless you download a mod changing this, have more than ten units on the ground at a time. There are no buildings to capture and build more units. What you have in orbit is all you have to capture the planet with. Granted, you may very well bring a massive invasion force and not care for casualties, but unless you are playing on the easiest settings, this is a sure-fire way to lose the game.

As a defender, you have the opposite objective. You want to destroy all of the enemy land forces that have landed on the surface of the planet. Your forces are composed of garrison units, which come with their associated production facilities (i.e., a Barracks will have a garrison of a couple of infantry squads, a light factory will have recon units, and heavy factories will have tanks as their garrisons), and whatever units you have stationed on the surface of that planet. If all of the forces landed on the surface are destroyed, the battle is won. If all of your structures and units are destroyed, you lose.

In skirmish mode, this changes somewhat. While you still must bring units to the battlefield through landing zones, you do build bases that allow you to build units and upgrade them. Gathering resources is, thankfully not a pain. There are a set number of mining platforms throughout the maps that produce credits at a steady rate. The more pads you control, the more money you have. It really is that simple. No worthless worker units to protect. It is all about the combat.

In addition to the mechanics of the battle maps, the battle maps themselves are part of the gameplay as well. No, I am not talking simply of terrain and choke points. Each planet map is unique, including weather conditions. On some planets, there is constant rain, which slows down units significantly if they have not been upgraded to overcome it. On another, there are electric fields that prohibit repulsor lift vehicles from deploying, such as some tanks and speeded bikes, or Rebel airspeeders. On Mustaffar, the planet from Episode III in which Obi-Wan battles Anakin, there is a rain of ash and magma that slowly kills infantry. The list goes on.

The space combat is something that is truly the defining feature of the game. Now we can finally fight out the Battle Above Endor from Return of the Jedi. It is relatively straightforward. Much like land combat, you build a fleet at your planets, fly them to an opponent’s planet, and combat ensues with the forces at hand. The defender will (almost always) have a space station, which has a garrison of fighters, and the forces in orbit around the planet. The attacker must destroy everything, including the space station to gain control of the orbit, while the defender similarly wants to wipe out or at least repulse the invading forces. (On a side note, in the higher difficulty levels, the AI is relatively competent, and will retreat if the battle is not going well, rather than risk annihilation.) The ships of all sides are well modeled, and behave like they should, with capital ships sweeping anything larger than an X-wing before them, light cruisers sweeping fighters before them, gunboats unloading missile barrages from afar, fighters and bombers swooping in to take out hardpoints on capital ships, and heavy cruisers taking on anything the capital ships miss. One thing that is worth going into detail on is the existence of hardpoints on the larger ships. Instead of just having a health bar, the ship’s health is instead a composite of the health of the various hardpoints on the ship, from it’s engines, shield generator, turrets and hangars. Each of these can be destroyed individually with different effect. Destroying the shield generator will take down the shields and keep them from regenerating, and destroying the engines will leave the ship dead in the water, so to speak. (Again, a tangent. If a ship’s engines are destroyed, the ship will be lost in the event of a retreat, even if it is not destroyed in full. This makes since, as a ship with no engines will not be able to make the jump to hyperspace.)

Now, for the campaign/galactic map. This is the one thing that is rather disappointing. While I have nothing in mind to make it any better, it is just so very linear. There is not much to explain on this. The planets are laid out on a 2D map, with hyperspace routes connecting them. You move units by click and drag, build units and building by selecting the planet and clicking on the corresponding icon. Again, not too complicated or different from any other campaign map. However, there are some defining features that partially redeem the campaign map. First, capital ships such as Star Destroyers or Mon Calimari Cruisers can only be built on specific planets such as Kuat or Mon Calimari with fully upgraded space stations. This helps differentiate the planets from one another. Secondly, not all planets can support the same number of buildings, or the higher level space stations. Some can only support 3 buildings, some 8. Some can support a level 2 Space station, others a level 5.

I hope this helps. Feel free to leave feedback of any sort. There will be updates and edits coming.

Default Re: Star Wars Empire At War

Quote Originally Posted by Legio XII View Post
    There are no buildings to capture and build more units.
    Not entirely correct, there are some rare occasions where you can capture neutral factories that automatically produce light attack gliders/walkers if I remember correctly (could be in the addon though). And depending on the circumstances, you're getting support by civilians who are under your control which get retrained automatically. You're completely right concerning player-ordered construction though.

Apart from this small thingie up there, it's a nice review. Keep up the good work.

Legio XII's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Tankfriend View Post
    Not entirely correct, there are some rare occasions where you can capture neutral factories that automatically produce light attack gliders/walkers if I remember correctly (could be in the addon though). And depending on the circumstances, you're getting support by civilians who are under your control which get retrained automatically. You're completely right concerning player-ordered construction though.

Apart from this small thingie up there, it's a nice review. Keep up the good work.
    You are correct. I forget whether the neutral factories are part of the expansion or the original. They are only on a few maps, so I will have to go through and find them. As for the native units, thank you for the reminder. I just have not gotten to putting that in.

Rather mediocre game. The premise is good, but the execution is lacking. The strategy map is the most frustrating, why it is "real-time" is beyond me. A turn based system would have been better. I had to resort to pausing the game 90% of the time while I moved.

And the land battles pale in comparison to a Company of Heroes type game. The balance is rather poor, and the control/path finding is bad.

The space battles are the only redeeming feature. The problem is that 90% of them are pointless squabbles. A few are rather epic, but they are rare. And even in the space battles the controls are clunky.

The developers got stuck between a button crunching RTS, and a real thinking strategy game and did neither well. To do well in the game you have to spam armies, zerg rush etc., but you often have a huge strategy map with many things going on (in real time).

i wonder how well creative assembly would do at a star wars total war game?

empire at war seemed to be close to the way you play tw games, although the at-at it unstoppable, i took 3 and took a planet with like 10 units on it. spam the deploy troops button
    Take Adventures in a Land Down Under. My latest AAR

SPARTAN VI's Avatar Campidoctor

Are there any mods for this game that could lift it above mediocre? Mods are very important to me, I know they made Oblivion a game I would've rated an 7.9/10 on its own to an 8.9/10.

How's multiplayer, if there is any?

2016 TW: Warhammer Modding Winner!

SPARTAN VI's Building Progression Icons Mod
    Streaming Total War & Strategy Games - SPARTAN VI's Game Night

If you're looking for mods, try Steiners Advanced Units Mod or Awakening of the Rebellion. I don't know if they'll suffice for "making the game above average" but imho they're very good mods that add lots of content and change the game system to quite an extent, especially AotR (where Rebels probably have no chance whatsoever to win combat by brute force and really have to resort to their "skills" instead).

Darth Ravenous's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

No Thrawns revenge or Phoenix Rising. Also try http://empireatwar.filefront.com/

Land combat is just a little bit too bland. Although I thoroughly enjoyed the space combat, it was classy and epic, I thought it was really fun.

Do mods they improve the game from a 6.5 rating to an 8.9 or 9.9 rating.

i loved this game,its awesome taking out giant fleets against another one on the space and you just click that movie cam thing and boooom,it looks like another Star Wars movie!
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

New mod I highly recommend for experianced players only PR v1.0.

I play in multiplayer this game and only your lack of experience can evaluate this game so low.Ideea is was a total marketing failure and the fans was disapointed by developer.For real in space games EaW is not olny very good but challaging and tactics involved are more surprising than you will see in TW series.I recomend to you all try to play online vs an experienced player.

I have and I have beaten many.

Beat many?Hm can offer me 1 example?Did you ever played vs me?

Well as this is the internet I can say I did and you have my word but it may not count as much. And second I don't know if I have played you or not I stoped playing Empire at War Online about 1 year ago.

I not want to look proud but I have huge experience in EaW.When I support this game my motivation is not biased but I know very well what is this game about.Is 1 of the most fastest RTS games I ever played, 6 minutes average for 1v1 is a normal time.Yes I own in this game but, I can provide any who interested all about space tactics, strenghts and game system.

I wish they took more time to develop this game, it would have been more well received if it wasn't, "Spam At-At's and charge!".

This was a great game, especially with the mods. In fact, this was the first game I ever modded.

Real problems of this game are the high value of fps online, the posibility of sync because conectionn problem like dialup players.
    About AT-AT spam I can say is not only not true but is a very false problem.If you play online you will discover before you get tech for them you are toasted.In space I get tech 5 2 times at year in 1v1 games.In team games last tech I get when I am bored and I want to let ppl hope about their chance to win.Come on, tech 2 is enought for wining even tech 1 is good vs a weak player or a map with pirates.
    When I say know this game is not a about how many techs need or how can beat a ISD.In 3 years you learn all exploits, bugs, cookies and secrets.About moding this game the original and not the Force of Coruption expansion look better than any mods used and none of mods are popular.Like I said previous post this game have 1 big thing, very fast games who consume a lot of action per minute to win.Need lot of choices to be maded in matter of seconds.Is different fun and very good for player of Starcraft or Red Alert.
    Sorry if I hurt feelings of anyone.