Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The easy way to install Kots 3.0 (revised)

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default The easy way to install Kots 3.0 (revised)

I have created an unpacker that will take approximately 3-5 minutes to run.
    Now that I have figured out how the DOS move command works, things will go much faster then in version 1.1.

What you need:
    1. Installed Britannia campaign (no unpacking, undressing, whatsoever)
    2. A little time and patience

Extract the attached KotS_Unpacker and run\double click it.

This is how it works:
    1. The installer automatically detects the installation path for M2TW
    2. The Britannia mod gets unpacked into a separate folder - your input is needed here
    3. The pesky geography files get deleted
    4. The original mods\british_isles\data folder gets copied into the mod folder
    5. The unpacked folder gets moved into the mods\kingdomsofthescots folder
    6. The installer deletes the remainder of the unpacked folder
    7. Clean up

You will be prompted for a keystroke to close the unpacker window

After this install the Kingdom of the Scots mod as described in the installation guide (step 3 onwards).

Underneath (in the spoiler) the old post for reference.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Please ignore for the time being (as of 02nd September 2008) - under review!:hmmm:

The whole installation has been a bit cumbersome so I experimented a little. I had an excellent result with the following steps:

Please note: you will require the Britannia campaign to be installed. (Don't unpack, dress, nothing whatsoever)

1. Download and install my Barebones folder.
    2. Rename this folder to 'Kingdomofthescots'.
    3. Delete the files in the root (Configuration, Executable, Icon, ReadME, Thumbs)
    4. Copy\paste the mods\british_isles\packs folder into the mods\kingdomsofthescots folder.
    5. Install KotS 3
    6. Enjoy your game!

To install the 3.1 patch on top of this, simply follow the installer's instructions. Nothing fancy needed for that.

Am I brilliant or what? (If you think so, don't hesitate to give me rep)

On a sour note:
    there are these two errors that seem to be indigenous as far as I can see.
    Code:
    [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/kingdomofthescots/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 1726, column 12
    You have chosen an invalid tile(77, 111) for the settlement of Stirling.
    It will mean not being able to reach this settlement and is a bug.
    For now we'll ignore it.
    As the log said, it can be ignored as units can freely move in and out.
    Code:
    [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/kingdomofthescots/data/descr_sm_factions.txt, at line 177, column 31
    file: "descr_sm_factions.txt": horde unit type 'Feudal Knight' not found in unit_db
    This one might get dicy. It appears the unit is not available in the
    modeldb or EDU. Best to delete the line or put a semi-colon in front of it.
    Last edited by Gigantus; April 09, 2010 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Added the file directly as attachment

The Border Reiver's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: The easy way to install Kots 3.0

Hi Gigantus

I appreciate you taking the time to check this out. I've downloaded your barebones folder and will use that as my base folder

I've definently fixed the descr_sm factions problem but hadn't fixed the Stirling problem yet.

Yes mate you are brilliant ..actually I tried to give you rep the other day...but got told I had to give some to someone else as well first!

Blog Entries

Busy playing MacLeod clan and found out that the religious pips were missing. Seems it doesn't read it from the packs.

The Stirling location was changed so that it is adjacent to the bridge. Otherwise the custom battlemap makes no sense and it reflects Stirling's strategic importance as the gateway between north and south. It does not appear to create problems in the game - does it?

The barebones folder is a good idea in principle. As I recall kingdoms mods require certain files to be unpacked even if they were not modded. Because we did not know what all of these are the fail safe option was to unpack everything!

Quote Originally Posted by gigantus View Post
    The whole installation has been a bit cumbersome.
    Is it really that bad? I have tested the install process many times and it has been flawless (both with a packed and unpacked main game). I can copy, unpack and rename a british_isles folder and then install the mod far quicker than if I had to download a whole 2GB mod folder. Of course if we use the pack files to reduce the download it would be better. We would need to test that all the files that required unpacked versions were present (such as pips!).
    Last edited by The Bruce; September 01, 2008 at 06:35 AM.

This method works for me, the 'official' method caused CTD when going into a battle. Cheers gigantus

A second to download, 5 seconds to install, another few seconds to copy/paste the folder then a minute or two to install the actual mod. Much quicker than unpacking all those files
    Last edited by Vor; September 01, 2008 at 08:43 AM.

Blog Entries

The size of the mod folder is 2MB, but I agree with the lacking files. That might need to be ascertained.So far the game hasn't crashed on me, let's see if I find more files that are missing.

Gigantius, I was referring to the approximate size of a whole unpacked mod folder.

A complete install would be nearly 2GB (which other kingdoms mods provide). Our method reduces the download but means the user has to copy/unpack the british_isles folder.

It would be great if all the required files could be identified so we could provide these in the download and users would simply add the pack files. Hopefully you have already found them all.

About a year ago, I believe the Reiver unsuccessfully experimented with GrnEyedDvls Kingdoms Barebones Mod Folder.

It was discussed here. His version did not include a UI folder which is where I suspect many of the problems come from.

Vor, its good that you have the game working. However the "official method" works for us and many others when correctly followed so I doubt it was our method that caused your problems.
    Last edited by The Bruce; September 01, 2008 at 07:13 PM.

Blog Entries

Right, I see the problem now. Which explains why the pips weren't there. Which also means a battle with Ireland or Wales will crash because all the supporting texture files are not there.

DRAT!

At least the the "Barebones" files work with out having to resort to your ui and text compressed folders. You might want to use them in your next full install.

Of I go now to see if I can't come up with a batch file that unpacks the british_isles mod into the kingdomofthescots folder (got one for the 'Last Kingdom' mod) and deletes the geography files afterward. If I can get it to execute before the main files are getting installed then can give me more rep.

Default Re: The easy way to install Kots 3.0 (revised)

Gigantus, I approve of your new method to automate the unpacking and preparation of the kingdomofthescots folder prior to installation. However there is a problem.

I am confused by line 6 - "Essential Kingdoms files get copied into the data\ui folder". These sd files appear to be vanilla MTW2 files that overwrite the brittania files in the kingdomofthescots/data/ui folder. Why have you done this? It has unwelcome effects with the interface, for example:

If you could remove these .sd files from your installer then the kingdomofthescots folder would be configured as we intended. I am all for automating the install process as long as it keeps our mod intact.

If you did this then it would lead to exactly the same result as our installation method except that users would not need to rename a copy of the british_isles folder or delete the geography files.

I was under the impression that the UI and text folder fix is required if the display issues are to be avoided whilst keeping the main MTW2 folder packed. That's why we provide them so that they can be put into a packed main MTW2/data folder. This should remain a manual operation I think as adding the UI folder (which only contains the .sd files) from the zip file to an unpacked game would replace the fully unpacked UI folder.

The UI and Text files from the zips are vanilla MTW2 files and are only present so they can be ignored in favour of the mod files! If they are not there kingdoms.exe ignores the mod files and the display problems arise.

I still feel that the most elegant solution would be to determine which files are required to be unpacked and which can be accesses from the packs folder. If the download only contained the former, users could copy the packs from the british_isles folder into the mod folder (and implement the Text/UI fix if they had a packed main game). Otherwise the "cumbersome" step of having to unpack Brittania will remain.
    Last edited by The Bruce; September 02, 2008 at 07:07 AM.

Blog Entries

I agree with you and will disable the download link until I have a "unpack only" installer ready. Came across those errors today as well.

Blog Entries

Updated the link to version 1.1 - unpacking only

nice tips

The Border Reiver's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Ok I'm confused :hmmm: Which is really not that hard for me at all!

I think I'm going to need this explained with hand puppets or at the very least someone needs to hold my hand

As the Bruce mentioned, I've never had an issue with any ctds ever in my mod...........but for some reason some people do with some that textures are not included for Ireland, Wales and Norway.

Gigantus and Bruce, you'll need to explain in detail.

The Barebones approach did not work as not all the files can be used from the pack files.

This is why a completely unpacked version of Britannia should be used over which our mod is installed. If all the files that require unpacked versions are identified we could include these in the download - the rest could be extracted by the game from the pack files. Until this is done the current method should remain. The alternative is to upload a fully unpacked mod folder.

If the mod is set up as we intended it works. Have people reported any texture problems when using our method? All the required kingdoms textures are present in an unpacked form. The MTW2 textures work fine even if they are packed.

The current Gigantus tool automates part of our installation procedure. It unpacks a copy of britannia but also renames it and deletes the geography files. Kingdom of the Scots is then installed as per our method. The resulting mod folder should therefore be identical.
    Last edited by The Bruce; September 03, 2008 at 12:20 AM.

I installed this and the game and any time i try to fight a battle i get kick off the game can anyone help?

Have you deleted the geography files?

I think i did i dont see them there... and when i go to pick a faction in the campaign after a few secands it will kick me off the game to.

You need to post your error log AnySomeone.

Open medieval2.kingdomofthescots.cfg in the kingdomofthescotsfolder.

change:

[log]
    ## log potentially critical errors for debugging
    #to = logs/kingdomofthescots.log.txt
    #level = * error

to

[log]
    ## log potentially critical errors for debugging
    to = logs/kingdomofthescots.log.txt
    level = * error

save and run the game.

After the CTD go to MTW2\logs folder. Open kingdomofthescots.log.txt and post the contents here.

Do you know what i can open .cfg files with?

Blog Entries

Use notepad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast