Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: WIP: PI's Historically Correct Economy

Hister's Avatar Domesticus

Icon14 WIP: PI's Historically Correct Economy

I decided to publicly discuss PI's economy in this thread which hasn't been touched yet in current open beta. My goal is to make realistic and historically correct economy that will make playing the mod much more interesting.
    You are all invited to debate in this thread and thus make the PI's economy as good as possible.

HouseOfHam adviced me on what to do to reduce global income and pupulation growth which are by our users reported to be way to high in current beta:

population growth:
    - Get rid of the grain resource (in descr_strat.txt)
    - Reduce base farm level (in descr_regions)
    - Reduce public health bonuses from buildings (in EDB)
    - Reduce anti-squalor bonuses from traits

income (much the same):
    - Increase unit recruitment and upkeep costs (in EDU)
    - Increase building construction costs (in EDB)
    - Lower trade value for resources (in descr_sm_resources.txt)
    - Lower trade income / farming income bonuses from buildings (in EDB)
    - Reduce base farm level (in descr_regions)
    - Reduce management/tax collection/trading/mining bonuses from traits
    - Add more bad harvests to descr_harvests.txt
    All those things need to be adressed in order for the final product to be the way that it should be. Some are already being worked on - Benz282 works on higher unit upkeep in EDU for example.

Since current buildings are more or less only provisional and non-diversed I for now would not yet change building bonuses (since building trees might change in future) but would start at the basics of all the economies - RESOURCES.

It is reported that you can't really add completely new resources to existing vanilla ones but you can change the vanilla ones into something else.
    Here is the tutorial of how to do this:
    http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpo...56&postcount=3

The vanilla RTW resources are:

- iron, wine, marble, timber, glass, hides, tin, copper, lead, pottery, silk, textiles, grain, amber, purple_dye, wild_animals, wine, olive_oil, incense

- mining resources are: gold and silver

- unit resources are: camels, elephants

- special resource: slaves

Let's do brainstorming - which resources should stay in and which should be changed/renamed? Which were historically most important and traded in the area our mod covers. I haven't yet read much about the matter so I need you to give advice. Did I mention that +REP will be given to the ones that will give comprehensive input?

The goal of historically correct resources is that Paeninsula Italica will have them in every region on the map and thus make for an interesting gameplay. Veneti for example would have more gold then others, Ligures would have more hides etc.
    We should be grouping resources into geographic regions so that Liguria has mainly hides but only few other resources for example as SigniferOne suggests. It will be thus easier to keep track of which resources you have in your empire and are the most important for your economy.
    We have to discuss then what regions should have what resources after we decide on what resources we will have. To simplify it you can suggest like: "I think Ligurians should have hides."

In order for resources to make any noticable difference in gameplay we will need to lower considerably the income that comes from other ways like farming and tax input but that can be done after resource project is finished. Trading back then really made huge profits, sometimes even more then everything else in certain regions!

Second step is to considerably raise values of resources and make a distinguish difference between different resources: wine needs to have considerably lower price then gold for example. (Question - can resource values be higher then vanilla's 15?)

Okey guys, the stage is set for us to discuss the topic - come out with suggestions...
    PROUD MEMBER OF PAENINSULA ITALICA TEAM

For M2TW PI forum click here.
    For RTW PI forum click here.

Default Re: WIP: PI's Historically Correct Economy

A few scattered thoughts related to this topic:

- The 4TPY script forces a minimum growth rate of (1+0.5%) ^ 4 = 2% per year, which is pretty high for a human society. The game mechanics won't let you achieve a truly realistic population growth rate. Doesn't mean you shouldn't try, but you may have to explore less obvious methods such as increased combat mortality
    - IIRC, people have confirmed that slaves don't actually give the population growth bonus that they display on the city details screen. It shows up in all the interfaces, but the actual change in population number is less than what the interface claims (by the amount of the slave bonus)
    - Give careful thought to how you want the campaign to play out, as nothing will have as powerful a determining effect as the economic structure. High growth rates and limited happiness / law / health buildings will combine to create a situation where captured cities revolt pretty regularly. Which sounds to my limited knowledge of the history like a good thing, the Romans had trouble holding onto their conquests and the player should too.
    - Grain is a troublesome resource, yes, but really, how can we be fighting over Sicily and not have grain as an economically important resource? Keep the grain, just make sure that the growth it causes will cause problems later on.
    Last edited by Pode; September 01, 2008 at 10:05 AM.

Foederatus

Isn't it possible to create a building that has a negative effect on growth. Thus would it be possible to make, for example the barracks structure, have a say - 0.5% population growth. Because say the soldiers are more experienced so you may get an increased morale bonus or something, but the more they focus on combat and training the less time these citizen soldiers have to manage affairs and thus the negative impact on growth.

So if it is possible incorporate these negative bonuses into essential buildings so that the population is reduced.

And just a comment on the resources, since I'm assuming timber was plentiful in those times, would that be a prime candidate for a switch, to something that had more of an impact back then. I don't think I saw "salt", wasn't that an important trading resource back then.
    Last edited by Nullified; September 01, 2008 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pode View Post
    - Grain is a troublesome resource, yes, but really, how can we be fighting over Sicily and not have grain as an economically important resource? Keep the grain, just make sure that the growth it causes will cause problems later on.
    Thank you for your input! we won't completely get rid of grain! Above was just written by HouseOfHam for all possible ways of how to get rid of population growth and high income and was not referring to PI.

Quote Originally Posted by Nullified View Post
    And just a comment on the resources, since I'm assuming timber was plentiful in those times, would that be a prime candidate for a switch, to something that had more of an impact back then. I don't think I saw "salt", wasn't that an important trading resource back then.
    Thank you. For now I would rather concentrate on types of resources we should have in the game - which vanilla resources that are stated above should be swapped with new ones. I need that to start on Reosurces project - so that I can actually start modifying the files. That is my primary concern - all other remarks about economy are of course welcome but not of the biggest importance just now.

Guys, I go on vacations for two weeks and will be back on 14th of September. I won't be able to make any posts until I return. Maybe some of you come with some good ideas/tips/links abot the resources matter so that I can start working on it at the moment I come back.
    See you then guys!

Okey, so far I got the following proposals:

SigniferOne: let's rename Silver into Metal, so that you can mine metal.

Nullified: change timber for salt.

Any other suggestions? Looks like I will need to read some historical sources on the matter

Ok, just seen this post now ..

In my mod (700 - 500 BCE), I've totally removed taxation and cities rely on trade and farm income .. although only civilized states (Etruscan, Greek) have farms, Tribal factions (Latins, Sabine etc) are herders and gain some income from that.

In other words Aboriginal italic societies gain compariably little income until Poenician / Greek traders find metals in Elba and Northern Italy, then you have a economic boom - the Orientalising Period. Alot of money is then made with mining.

In your period Etruscan cities should be very wealthy but mining income would probably be declining.

Rome has been Etruscanised and grains produce more income over herding, but far more from conquest, slaves etc.

I'm not familar with other cultures but suspect greek colonies would be based on farming and mining.

R
    Last edited by Rorarii; September 02, 2008 at 07:40 PM.
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

Woow, great Rorarii! +rep for making the fog a little less ticker for us - well me atleast!

Okey so we will have to rename farms into herding for those tribes and make their income much lower then the one of the farming. Really good. This goes along my philosophy very well.
    Can you please send me a PM with the short details about how you made those changes - like have you renamed farming buildings into herding ect. Would be of much help to me.

P.S. I go to Corfu today at 15.00 CET so maybe I won't be able to respond to you...

Libertus

Ok. I sore this thread and went into research mode. This is what I have found out. Camels and Elephants weren't exactly present in Rome during this time period. Maybe they could be replaced with Horses and perhaps weapons manufactory or something similar.

Slaves are extremly important. At the height of it's power, 20% of the Roman Empires population comprised of slaves. Rome alone had 40% of it's population comprised of slaves, so slaves are a big must.

Insubres - Situated around the Po River Valley, it is most likely that this faction was heavily involved in herding, farming and agriculture.

Syracuse - It is said that a massive salt marsh was near the city and most possibally used as an exotic resource. Maybe silk could be repleced as exotic wares as silk generally came from the eastern trade routes in the later ages of the Republic/Empire. Also they were notable for they're rich and fertile farming, so grain and herding was most likely a resource.

Boii - Also situated arond the Po River Valley, they were heavy into herding, farming and agriculture.

Cenomani - Similar to the Boii, heavy farming, agriculture and herding.

Sabini - Couldn't find much on them. But several ancient historians compared them to being extremely warlike and very similar to the greek Spartans. Perhaps weapons production would be a resource (if it can be implemented as a resource).

Samnites - It is said that the mountain ranges they inhabited were heavy with Lime Stone. Maybe tin, copper, iron and marble as resources. Also the lands they lived in are described as green and wooded, so timber would be a resource.

Ligures - All I found was a passage saying that over 50% of they're land was covered by forests. So wild animals and timber would be primary resources.

Veneti - It says that the Veneti were peaceful and persued trade and commerce as a means to accumulate wealth. It also said that they had a deep love for horses and had some of the finest cavalry mounts in all of Italy.

Apuli - I couldn't find any useful information on this faction.

Sabelli - Info was scarce. But I did find a paragraph or 2 saying that it was beleived that they were the same as the Samnites and Sabini, as in the same people. They like the Sabini and Samnites inhabited the Appenines mountains in central Italy, so it can be assumed that they're resources would be similar.

Italiotae - All I could find on this faction is that they relied on heavy commerce and trade, mainly with the major greek city states from hellas.

Brettii - Covering large parts of the Appenines, they probabally had iron, tin, copper and marble.

Senones - I couldn't find anything useful on this faction.

Poeni - All I could find on the Poeni, or Carthagians as I couldn't find any acctual sources to a faction known as Poeni. Was trade was a heavy part of they're wealth.

Umbri - There is historical evidence to prove that the Umbri's used wild animals to do ritual sacrifices to they're gods. Also the region they controlled was mountainous so tin, copper, iron and marble are also potential resources.

Ertrusci - They relied heavily on trade, also they have found Fine Ware pottery cups at historical sites. Also it said they were well known for the fine qaulity grapes and olives that they produced, so wine and olive oil are definate resources.

Rhaeti - It says that they are well known for cattle farming and timber. It also said that the wine they produced was comparable to that of the Latin states.

Messapii - They were producers of fine qaulity pottery. The mountains they inhabited were also know for the lime stone, so tin, copper, iron and marble. They also relied heavily on maritime trade.

Lucani - It is rumoured that the Lucani prided themselves on hunting wild boars, bears and wolves. So wild animals and furs would be resources. It also said they had lush pastures for farming and thick forests for timber.

I hope this helps. Let me know if there is anything else I can help with. SE.
    Last edited by Stalins_Elite; September 03, 2008 at 06:54 AM.

Excellent, thank you - much appreciated and +rep for you!

Can't comment - am leaving for Greece just this moment...

Not sure if this helps, but in my period there was a salt trade route from ostia through Rome / Veii to the interior, and a metal ore trade route from Northern Etruscan territory down south to Greek collonies - Cumae etc. (which was probably preyed upon by hill tribes?)

Also Caere was well know for it's precious metal manufactured objects, jewellery, pottery etc etc .. So some form of "Artistic" building should be included

Also, apparently PIRACY was common and one of Caere's claim to fame was that they NEVER decended to this level ... does this mean other Etruscan / Greek cities did?

Not sure if the above extends into your period though.

R
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

Foederatus

Yah I guess lumber was a valuable resource back then, I agree with the silk removal too. And Rorarii I know that during the time period of your mod salt would have been very valuable what I don't know for sure is if salt is still valuable in this mods time period or was it losing its value do to modernization. Though I do know salt remained very valuable in Africa for a long time.

Was amber present in Italy? Or was that more middle eastern?

Yah I guess lumber was a valuable resource back then, I agree with the silk removal too. And Rorarii I know that during the time period of your mod salt would have been very valuable what I don't know for sure is if salt is still valuable in this mods time period or was it losing its value do to modernization. Though I do know salt remained very valuable in Africa for a long time.

Was amber present in Italy? Or was that more middle eastern?
    Amber arrived in Italy due to trade with the Boii tribes, who in turn acquired it from the proto-Baltic and proto-Germanic peoples. So, say modern day Poland.

what I don't know for sure is if salt is still valuable in this mods time period
    "salary" derives from latin word for salt, so yeah, still pretty valuable

Libertus

Salt even today is still considered a spice. To my knowledge, spices never became common in Rome until they had the large trade routes with the east in the later Republic/Empire era. So I would dare say spice/salt was deemed valuable. SE.

Roarii idea is great!!!

Other nice economic system I have seen is that of RTR extended realism 3.3. I do not know how it works, maybe you can take a look to that mod or ask for advidse from Queen Inuit.

Maybe "piracy" as a income? but i have no idea at all how to implement this.
    Last edited by Ramiro; September 11, 2008 at 08:14 AM.

Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Ramiro View Post
    Roarii idea is great!!!

Other nice economic system I have seen is that of RTR extended realism 3.3. I do not know how it works, maybe you can take a look to that mod or ask for advidse from Queen Inuit.

Maybe "piracy" as a income? but i have no idea at all how to implement this.

I dare say that Piracy in ancient Rome would have been similar to piracy in 17-19th century A.D. Europe. Nations would employee pirates/privateers and give them a letter of mark to hunt ships flying the colours of an enemy state. A portion of the bounty would goto the privateer and the rest to the state, that's the only way piracy could be seen as a source of income. How to implement it I don't know. Maybe make a unique building for coastal provinces, or say a tier 2 port upgrade that adds say privateer contracting. Effect +10% in naval trade income. Just a thought. SE.

Benz282's Avatar Vicarius

Good ideas Rorarii and SE, +rep to both of you.

2nd or 3rd tier port; costs a lot to build, but 1 turn to build (maybe 0-turn, if that is possible with buildings). It should give an increase to trade, but a decrease in law and happiness (5% - 15%).

You can use the slots of the Units resources for another thing as there were not elephant and camels. Maybe changing at least one of them to "horses" so that you can recruit cavalry only in certain regions of italy, (besides general bodyguars) the only really good cavalry came from latium, campania and tarentum. But other regions could have the potencial of breeding good horses (lioke the PO valley) but the celts were not used to have much cavalry so that when another culture which does not have the resource initially, but with the ability to build better stables conquers the region it can develop better cavalry?

Also you can use the slots of purple-dye and incense for more italian specific resources.

During my vacation in Greece I read a book about Etruscans and decided to write a rough summary of those parts of the book that can be depicted in our mod. The information present here should be used to properly depict the Etruscan culture in all the possible aspects. It has also a valuable information of Etruscan economy which I can use for Realistic resources project and also what kinds of buildings should we put in for them. It’s a rather long text but it shouldn’t prevent you from reading it – it is an interesting summary of Etruscan civilization in our mod’s period. Hope you like it!

Historical and cultural overview of Etruscans:
    Towns of Etruria had differences between each other – they had their own character, rituals, their own tradition, manufacture and art. They were separated political entities until the end of 6th century when the League of 12 states with common political goal and religion was established.

Federal sanctuary for all 12 towns was in the region of Volsinii in the temple of Vertumne/Vertumnus (Volutemne) where Concilium Etruriae took place. In it towns were discussing common matters and voted to elect High Official of Etruscan Nation also known as High King (Zilath Metchl Rasnal/Praetor Etruriae) who led the League. In times of war he got the supreme power and all armies were supposed to obey him. Aristocrats called Principes (“The called ones”) were making the decisions and voted in Concilium Etruriae. A ceremony of big folk festival was also held there. At our mod’s time the federation was apparently weak since different cities had rather different political goals and unity wasn’t a common thing. This is already depicted in the mod by some Etruscan settlement shown as “rebel” towns.
    We should create a special building for this sanctuary (with happiness bonus?) and maybe someone with scripting skills should devise a script giving some extra bonus traits (especially command bonus) to the “elected” general. General that stays in this town would be “elected” – we can show this by giving the general special traits for given period of time. Any ideas scripters?

In river Po lowland area to the North 12 Etruscan colonies were established. To the South 12 colonies were also established in Campania. In our mod’s period those colonies were on the North overrun by Cisalpine Gauls and Oscan Campagnians in the South which greatly weakened Etruscan power. In addition to that Greeks prevented them from major trading they used to have in the Eastern Mediterranean Sea. In the North Celts were a common threat while in the South Rome started it’s expansion in Etruria…

Etruscans had an archaic society of feudal type with the king in charge of the city state. Roughly only 2 social classes existed: ruling class (aristocrats) and slaves.
    Thus logically they had a huge number of slaves which in addition divided into 6 sub-classes:
    -the lowest were convicted slaves imprisoned in slave penitentiary workshops/mines;
    -farmers (Familia Rustica) which were levied into soldiers in times of war;
    -house slaves (Familia Urbana);
    -athletes, acrobats, musicians, dancers, actors;
    -Lautni were partially freed slaves but still depended on their master;
    -Etheri or Clientes were honorary partially freed slaves and were the highest ranking slaves due to their big contribution to the Family they belonged to.

Revolts of slaves in 4th century are thus reported to be quite often on the schedule in Etruscan society and are reported in Arrezzo, Volzini, Volterra and in Oinarea. In Volzini 265 B.C. partially freed slaves managed to make a coup and established themselves as the ruling class. Depositioned aristocracy turned for help to Romans which in the end destroyed the city.
    To depict this Etruscan peculiarity we have to make the settlements Etruscans own to be more prone for rebellions. Can someone please enlighten me how to code this?

Etruscans were cultivating literature, natural science and theology. They were admiring Greek culture and copied it in many aspects. Etruscan aristocracy was thus bilingual – they spoke Greek to.

Etruscan high priests were specialized in forecasting future (they had fortune tellers called Haruspices). Their forecasting knowledge was written in Books of Destiny. Ostentaria was the name for examining the flight of the birds and they often also examined the guts of animals, position of the stars and thunder lighting to tell what the future will bring.
    To depict this peculiarity Etruscan temples might give some special bonuses. What do you think?

Etruscans were known for their advanced draining techniques and irrigating system which turned non useful wetlands and also dry land into fertile fields. They should thus have the highest levels of farming with big income from the beginning of the game in the provinces that historically had that. We will see which those are further below.

Etruscan roads were paved only close to cities and were otherwise deepened, in rock cut paths with the system for draining water away from them. It is reported that in some spots roads were cut 15 meters deep in hills to obtain reasonable incline for the traffic.
    Their roads should thus appear as paved roads from the beginning of the mod.

They were masters of establishing new towns according to geometrical Greek settlement plans which made distinctive difference between “civilized” and “uncivilized” cultures. Etruscans learned that from Greeks and Romans from Etruscans. Greeks should thus have the most advanced settlements with plethora of advanced settlement buildings. Etruscans should be one level behind them, Romans one level behind Etruscans.

All Etruscan towns had very strong walls which we need to depict by giving them stone walls from the start of the mod.
    During the period of 6 centuries scientists have calculated based on number of graves that average number of population in the city of Cere was at least 25.000 at any given time. Similar numbers should be applied to other cities to so we have to give them the highest settlement level from the beginning.

Big emphasis in the society was on music and dance – music was actually accompanying all the daily task such as cooking, eating, etc. The same applies for different sport games that were often carried out by aristocracy and were highly respected – similar like in Greece.
    Etrusca Disciplina was holy Etruscan science and spiritual institution which thought aristocracy how to live properly in many aspects of life.
    Our Etruscan generals should thus have better certain traits then the ones of the less “civilized” factions.

Etruscans had theatrical performances in provisional wooden stages – Etruscanised Greek drama was often performed.
    Level one theater should thus be present from the beginning of the game in every Etruscan town.

Etruscans loved hunting wild animals and often practiced it in tick Etruscan forests.
    Shall we give a little better values to the Etruscan archers in edu maybe to depict this?

Etruscans were reported to have affinity for cruelty – death sentences and sacrificing of captured enemy soldiers (reports of sacrificed captured Greek and Roman soldiers) were not uncommon.
    Any ideas of how to code that in the game?

Romans adopted gladiatorial games in 3rd century from Etruscans which had them in Campania already in 4th century B.C. Paestum and Capua were the centers for gladiatorial games - gladiatorial schools existed which were training mainly Samnite mountain warriors for the task. Although that area was already occupied by Oscans in our mod’s period we should put amphitheaters there from the start of the game. Otherwise in Etruria proper such amphitheaters didn’t exist and gladiatorial games weren’t practiced.

They had similar military triumphs as Romans – Romans actually copied them from Etruscans.
    No need to depict this in game – maybe can be related to some special general traits when he wins battles?

In 3rd century BC School of pottery painting was established in Voltera – they were making caricatures of different every day life people. Can be used as a special building in this town which adds some bonuses – happiness for example.

In the town of Cere a cult of double exe was present.
    Any ideas for that?

Resources of Etruria and some of its neighboring provinces:

Etruscan soil was very fertile and they had an abundance of farming products. Land was full of fertile ravines with low hills very suitable for extensive farming and cattle herding. Etruscan fields (Tusci Campi) were many times more fertile then other neighboring lands!
    Big estates (Latifundia) with extensive herding lands were present in coastal Etruscan areas while inland areas had extensive grain and wine producing.
    This shall be nicely represented by the resources I will implement into certain provinces.

Etruria was exporting fine grain – the richest Etrurian granaries were inland in the area of Chiusi and Arezzo.
    They will have the highest farming level with grain resource from the beginning.
    Chiusi was also rich with timber and cattle breeding so I will add the respectful resources to that town.

Etrurian wines were very well known and famous. Only Veii had a bad wine. All Etruscan towns will thus have a wine resource.

Cisalpine Gaul was also producing grain. Wine there is reported to be especially good in Adria.
    Grain and wine resource will be given to certain mentioned regions but I need to delve a little bit more into the matter to be sure.

Olive trees weren’t common in Etruria back then! The only more noticeable olive oil producing area was reported to be in North-West Campania.

All Etruria was producing fine pottery (mainly copies of Greek potery) that was also exported to faraway places.
    All Etruscan towns will have fine pottery as a resource.

Campi Marci (in the area of today’s Modena) had extensive sheep herding and were well known for their wool market. It will thus have a textile resource.

In Tarqunia flax was massively cultivated which was then used for ship sails. White limestone was also produced there. Marble resource will thus be renamed as query.
    It will have a textile and query resource.

Coastal Etrurian towns and also regions with lakes (Bracciano, Bolsena and Vico) should have a fish as a resource. Lakes were used for breeding fish intentionally and in the coastal areas fishing was organized by the city states.
    A dog resource should be swapped by fish.

Celts and Etruscans both had abundance of pig farms.
    Pig resource will be given to random Etruscan provinces.

Luni on Ligurian border was well known for it’s sheep cheese (called Pecorina) which could have huge proportions.
    Glass resource will be swapped with cheese. All major herding provinces who were known for their cheeses will be given that resource.

Etrurian forests were used for ship building. Ships were built in Voltera, Rusele, Perusia, Cera, Pisa and Chiusi. Pisa had the main Etruscan naval magazine but in our mod rebel Ligures own it so no special building will be present there.
    Those towns will have a timber resource.

Coastal regions of Etruria were more prone for malaria outbreaks due to extensive wetlands present there. We can code this peculiarity in the disasters file and make the said area to have malaria happen often which was especially true in our period when Etruscan power declined and extensive areas that were dried out became bogs again.

Mines and metallurgical craft brought the biggest income to Etruscans!

Populonia was rich with iron mines (island Elba) and was a kind of metallic industrial center of Etruria with plenty of foundries and forges. It also had a query.
    It will have iron, tin, copper, lead and query resources with top level mines and smiths and should have pretty high overall income.
    I will rename silver resource into iron since silver wasn’t a noticeable resource in Italian peninsula which will also enable me to have mines for iron. Vanilla iron shall be renamed into something else.
    Iron mines were also present in Campiglia Marittima North of Populonia (and it had a querry to), Southern part of Livorno province and all the area between Volterra in the North and Massa Marittima in the South. Resources were depleted in 1st century A.D so we can assume iron and other metal production was still quite active in our mod’s period.
    Those provinces will have iron and some also copper, lead and tin resources. Campiglia will have a query to. Since I’m not sure which had tin, copper and lead mentioned resources will be based randomly.

Along with metal production trade was main economy booster for Etruscans!

Spina was importing Greek pottery and other luxury objects. In 5th century B.C. it was the biggest Adriatic port with quite possibly the biggest population in whole Italian peninsula based on the archeologically discovered city plan which covered more then 340 ha of densely populated land. It was positioned in a lagoon and was built on pillars similar like today’s Venice. It was a multi-cultural town with Venetians, Greeks and Etruscans living in it. It exported Baltic amber, tin, salt and also grain from Cisalpine Gaul. It was of the outmost importance for Etruscans as its trading window due to the fact that Greeks profoundly negated Etruscan trade in Tyrrhenian Sea. Adria was in this regard a twin of Spina but smaller in scale and also produced good wine for export. After the arrival of Celts which occupied the whole Northern region along with Spina itself and also intensified piracy from Balkan tribes it slowly lost the importance it once had. Its lagoon waters weren’t regulated any more and it slowly completely disappeared in the wetland. In our mod’s time the trade in those two settlements should still be quite intensive though and we shall represent that!
    Spina needs to have the highest settlement level from the beginning. It has to have a special port building (I think Mylae made the building icon already for it) which should bring it the extra trading income bonus. It will have amber, tin, grain and salt for resources.

The city of Caere became the most important center of Hellenism and cultural metropolis in middle Italy after the fall of Veii to the Romans. Although it is in possession of Romans when the mod starts it shall have that certain Hellenistic distinction. We should depict that fact somehow!

Now a little something about Veneti.
    Veneti were horse breeders, traders and sailors. They were very good in metal crafts and controlled the amber route (monopol) that came from the Baltic throughout Germananic traders finally into Venetian hands. They had good relations with Etruscans and later on also with Romans and were peacefully annexed to the Roman empire.
    Horse resource can swap the camel one and will be present in every Venetian province. A special building for amber trade route can be made that goes from today’s Slovenia through Venetian provinces into Adria and Spina. If not then amber resource in Venetian provinces should do the trick. Salt resource should also be present in coastal provinces. For other resources I’ll have to read some literature on the matter.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast