Thread: Hi, I am new to modding and are looking for help

Internazionale's Avatar Campidoctor

Icon5 Hi, I am new to modding and are looking for help

So I was wondering if anyone can give me tips/help to get started modding. I feel like an outsider, as I also want to contribute to the community. The only modding I have a slightest notion about is unit scripting, like changing their stats. But thats very easy I want to learn how to model first, and then maybe texture, map etc.

Default Re: Hi, I am new to modding and are looking for help

Lots of tutorials in the Workshop, take your pick! If you wanna learn how to model, start HERE.

(Modeling is done with 3dsMax though, which costs some money and takes a good while to master, so perhaps you'd like to start with sth easier like texturing or text coding...)

moddeling - if you want good modding then you need serious money. So...if your new to modding then i'd leave that out.

skinning - it's free easy and fun!!!!!!

mapping - it's free and fun!!!! (not as easey as skinning though)

If your interested in skinning or mapping I could help, just send me a Pm.

jimkatalanos's Avatar 浪人
    Patrician

You can always check scriptorium's modding tutorials and articles.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...er=asc&page=10
    Ερωτηθεὶς τι ποτ' αυτώ περιγέγονεν εκ φιλοσοφίας, έφη, «Το ανεπιτάκτως ποιείν ά τινες διά τον από των νόμων φόβον ποιούσιν.

Under the professional guidance of TWC's Zone expert Garbarsardar
    Patron of Noble Savage, Dimitri_Harkov, MasterOfThessus, The Fuzz, aja5191, Furin, neoptolemos, AnthoniusII, Legio, agisilaos, Romanos IV, Taiji, Leo, Jom, Jarlaxe

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The universe is change; our life is what our thoughts make it.

The soul becomes dyed with the color of its thoughts.

If you desire to be good, begin by believing that you are wicked.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

οὕτως ἀταλαίπωρος τοῖς πολλοῖς ἡ ζήτησις τῆς ἀληθείας, καὶ ἐπὶ τὰ ἑτοῖμα μᾶλλον τρέπονται.

Questions are not necessarily there to be answered, but possibly there to inspire thinking.

Nullius addictus iurare in verba magistri, - quo me cumque rapit tempestas, deferor hospes.

If mind is common to us, then also the reason, whereby we are reasoning beings, is common. If this be so, then also the reason which enjoins what is to be done or left undone is common. If this be so, law also is common; if this be so, we are citizens; if this be so, we are partakers in one constitution; if this be so, the Universe is a kind of commonwealth.

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.

There is no chaos in the world, only complexity.
    Knowledge of the complex is wisdom.
    From wisdom of the world comes wisdom of the self.
    Mastery of the self is mastery of the world. Loss of the self is the source of suffering.
    Suffering is a choice, and we can refuse it.
    It is in our power to create the world, or destroy it.

Homo homini lupus est. Homo sacra res homini.

When deeds speak, words are nothing.

Human history is a litany of blood, shed over different ideals of rulership and afterlife

Sol lucet omnibus.

You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Ο Νούς νοεί τον εαυτόν του ως κράτιστος και η νόησή του είναι της νοήσεως νόησις.

'Nothing is true, everything is permitted.' is merely an observation of the nature of reality. To say that nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile, and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say that everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic.

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

What you do in modding should center around the type of learning style you tend to have, or which lobe of your brain you use more. Most people are usually either artistic or logical, and I think the two lend themselves rather apparently to the different aspects of modding.

There's generally more opportunities in the field of art though, because you can release a skin pack mod and people will rejoice, especially if it's easy to add on to other mods. Coding/Scripting isn't so easy to do non-comprehensive projects if you don't have acumen for the art side too. Script releases like J@mes, alpaca, and GED often do are the main ways to achieve some results in this venue without help.

The best thing you can do is join a solid team that you like the work of and see if you can contribute and learn at the same time. Joining an upstart team or working on your own isn't for everyone, because if the team is just a lot of new modders who want something done but don't necessarily understand how to get there, it may end up being a bunch of knocking heads with no output and nothing learned.

The best thing you can do as an artist is read tutorials and just keep trying to perfect your work over time. Perspective, detail, shadows, shading, all of that comes with time and effort.

The best thing you can do as a coder/scripter is look for answers to other people's questions. Yes, there are tutorials which can be useful, but the easiest way to become familiar with all of the files, is just looking through all of them, trying to determine what they do and if they can achieve the effect desired. I went from none to fairly good knowledge of coding/scripting just by looking for answers to questions in the Mod Workshop and looking at other people's script work as well as the DocuDemons.

Good luck at whatever you attempt, and don't be overly ambitious.

Cheers,
    Augustus