Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Yet another Greek AAR

Default Yet another Greek AAR

( Image made by me using Poser7, Paintshop Pro X, and XGM )

Yup, another Greek AAR. Why? Why the hell not?

Mod: XGM 5_7_22
    Sub Mods: Extended Cultures, XGM Command, and Extended Traits.

Settings: h/h, land bridges on, AI bonuses on, fatigue off, XGM battle movement, loyalty off ( just to avoid bug issues ), BI exe.

Personal settings/modding:
    1. Fog of War toggled that way everyone can see the progress of other factions. But I have a house rule of no cheating by peeking into the current enemie's interior.

2. You know I have 0 recruitment for regular units. That way the battles are big and epic.

3. I disabled the skirmishing mode for Thueroephoroi (or however you spell it), Hillmen, and Nubian Spearmen. Why? They are far more formidable as stubborn infantry with lots and lots of javelins and the AI won't spam me with skirmishers. I really really hate getting spammed with skirmishers.

4.moved Levy Phalangites to Level 1 Greek Barracks. Why? So the AI of the Greek factions are encouraged to recruit armies with the phalanx as it's backbone. I prefer to play according to historical accuracy. Not to mention the AI is far more formidable with phalangites at it's disposal.

And that's it.

Right now I have to run to errands. When I come back I'll post the first few turns.

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Yet another Greek AAR

Sounds great. I love Greek AARs!

This AAR will be a campaign overview. Although I plan of posting lots of big battles, I want to share with the viewer my strategic insites on the campaign as it progresses. Such as budgeting, recruitment, city development, population control, plans of expansion or defense, ect. But without flooding the viewer with too much information.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Here is where it all starts. I am at war with Macedon. Their military is stronger than mine. At first, all of my units were spread across my tiny little nation. So I mustered every infantry unit in Laconia. I had a fleet of three Bireme units, but I did not see any practical use for them. Not to mention Biremes suck. If I keep them, all they will do is drain my income. So it's time to disband them.

That helped out my projected profits a bit.

Then I recruit three units of Militia Phalangites to bulk up my feild army a bit.

That was the end of the first turn. And I stayed above budget. I would hate to start the campaign bankrupt.

Then I adopted this guy.

Now I have a fairly reliable feild army and I can still maintain a healthy treasury. I'm facing a tough war with Macedon and I don't want to lose money due to over recruiting or building. So I didn't recruit or build anything just to save money.

My first plan of attack was to capture Corinth. But that wouldn't have changed the fact that the Macedonian military is still capable of launching a counter attack. So I laid seige to Thebes. Not primarily to capture the city, but instead to lure the Macedonians to attack and destroy their feild forces. This will also keep their stacks away from my settlements in the Pelopennese.

And the plan worked.

As you can see, the Greek AI recruits Phalangites more than skirmishers now.

I didn't have enough phalangites to deploy in an echelon or reinforced line formation. So I drew the conventional phalanx line in the center, Peltasts and Hoplites to the left, Cretan Archers in the rear center of the phalanx, and Athenian Hoplites and the Spartan Royal Guard on the right.

The Macedonian phalanx was deployed on the ridge of a hill infront of me. Of course, attacking a phalanx planted on a hilltop is suicide. But there was another hill just to my right. As the Macedonians advanced, I deployed my phalanx to the hill on the right.

I think I remember Dime Bag saying phanlanx units now have trouble fighting in wooded areas. Which makes since. So I drew my army past the tree line.

This was a classic Greek battle. The strongest part of both armies were on the right flank. Which caused a whirl wind effect. When the Macedonian phalanx was about ready to strike, they sent a unit of Hoplites to my right flank. I countered this with my Athenians and Spartans. I then sent my two generals far around the right flank.

Tidal waves are about to collide.

The Macedonians sent a unit of Thessalian Cavalry to my right to reinforce their hoplite attack. I sent my generals after them.

Now the center of both armies greet eachother in blood.

My generals crush the Thessalians, then wheel back and smash into the Hoplites on the right.

After breaking the the Macedonian left, I sent my Athenians and Spartans into the left flank of the enemy phalanx. My generals swung far around their rear.

The Macedonian right applies alot of pressure on my left.

My generals run down some peltasts and archers.

After chasing off some skirmishers, my cavalry then charges into the left rear of the Macedonians.

The Macedonian phalanx begins to route.

The General that garrisoned Thebes now enters the fray. I sent my cavalry after him.

My phalanx was victorious, but my left guard was on the verge of collapse. I sent my phalanx to reinforce the left.

As my infantry did it's part, I sent my cavalry after the enemy's skirmishers. But they put up a better fight than I had expected. So I had them pull out and give aid to my left.

Meanwhile, the Hoplites I routed on the left regained their valour and attacked my vulnerable Cretans.

More action on the left flank.

The Macedonian army finally breaks.

My plan worked. I destroyed a large part of the Macedonian military and captured one of their cities as a bonus. Unfortuantly, the Macedonians didn't have enough time to build even a level 1 barracks. So I could not retrain my feild army. But on the bright side, I gained a good profit this turn. I used a good part of that profit to raise half a stack of infantry in Athens. The Macedonians will no doubt lay seige to Thebes. I can then send the my Athenian force to relieve my trapped feild army and hopefully route another part of the Macedonian military.

The Germans and Indie Gauls stopped fighting eachother. Just thought I'd share some world relations.

That's it for now. I might have more later.
    Last edited by Dog Fart; August 31, 2008 at 09:04 PM.

Legio, I'm suprised you didn't bring Antigonos and Conqubine 1 with you. I love those guys. Especially Conqubine 1, I would love to hit that.

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dirty_M View Post
    Legio, I'm suprised you didn't bring Antigonos and Conqubine 1 with you. I love those guys. Especially Conqubine 1, I would love to hit that.
    Somebody called?
    Yes but they called me you idiot.
    Now get out of my way!
    You can imagine how it is in the thick of battle. They fight over which one gets to behead the Macedonian general.
    Me because I always do all the work and everything!Wait a minute...did dirty M just say he wanted to tap me? Chauvinist pig!

*runs away crying*

I see a personality disorder developing very soon!

Content Emeritus

Hey I see young Timoleon in the AAR!
    Now he is getting all confused...

Primicerius

An epic battle dirty, pretty close too (they killed half your army). Your Spartans did admirably, 2 casualties with 132 inflicted: nice.

This next update is kinda boring. The early stages of the campaign usualy are. So here it goes.

When I loaded the game, I started to rethink my strategy. Raising fresh troops in Athens was a bit expensive. And if the counter attack failed the results could be ruinous. So I took my Militia Phalangites, Spartans, Athenians, and generals to Athens for retraining. I left my chewed up Peltasts and hoplites in Thebes.

That helped reduce the expediture significantly. So I took some of the extra cash and raised a few Militia Phalangites in Petras to besiege Corinth in the next turn.

End of turn.

After retraining my feild army, I send Areus to lift the seige of Thebes. And recruit some mercanary Thureophoroi just to bulk up a bit.

I take Acrotatas from Sparta with the new tiny seige army to Corinth.

And now to free Thebes. This battle wasn't very big. But I'll post some pics just because battles are far and few in the early stages of the campaign. I'm sure things will pick up later.

Now only the main Macedonian army remains. I am out manned and out classed in this situation. A simple matter of Prossional vs Levy. I send my field army back to Athens to raise more troops.

End of turn.

Now to take Corinth. There was only a single unit of Levy Phalangites garrissoned in the city. So I just auto resolved.

End of turn.

I took some of the Militia Phalangite units and combined them with Areus's army making a full stack. Then I attacked the small Macedonian force that laid siege to Thebes. And the back off. It seems that my defense looked to strong for the Macedonians. So their main army laid seige to Sardica a couple turns back. I raised about four units of Militia Phalangites in Thebes and station Areus's army just outside the city. That way, if that tough Macedonian stack and reinforcments come back, it will be facing an army of equal number.

Now to finaly strengthen my infrastructure.

And make some friends.

It looks like I'm getting somewhere.

It seems the Macedonians are no longer able to attack. Lucky for them, neither am I.

With peace established, I use the next couple of turns raising money and developing my economy for another war against Macedon.

Then, Larrisa looked vulnerable. So I attacked.

I've been trying to raise money for a level 3 barracks, that way I can match the quality of the Macedonians.

And now to take Larrisa.

Some of my units were tore up after the siege. I was about to retrain those units untill I noticed that I had just captured a settlement with a level 3 barracks. So I disbanded those depleted units and raised to professional troops. It took a huge chunck out of my income. But it will pay off in the long run. Or I hope.

And that's where I left off.
    Last edited by Dog Fart; August 31, 2008 at 09:06 PM.

Rather then disbanding all your unprofessionals you should combine the ones with experience then delete the scaps that are left. But only the ones with experience as they are the only ones worth keeping.
    SACERPATERDUXMIHI

EGOSUMALEXANDROS

TM Is Back's Avatar Campidoctor

You disbanded you Thureophoroi.... That was a bad idea, as Heavy Peltasts are very very usefull in XGM.

TM, I had two units of mercanary Thureophoroi in Athens. They had a bit more experience than the ones I disbanded. All I had to do was move them to Larissa. But I do agree. They are very useful units.

Small update in a moment.

I think I've been giving you guys too much info on the campaign. So I decided to only post significant events instead of every last detail. Just to keep you guys from getting bored. And it's less work for me.

Things are still kinda slow, but I do have a couple small battles to share.

Those professional units were pricey, but necessary.

Now I have a somewhat reliable field army in the northern frontier with a reserve of militia.

The Macedonians try to sue for peace again. This must mean they are in more of a bind than I am. I declined seeing a chance to break them for good.

Now to work on getting some armour for my troops. I really don't like going into battle without it.

End of turn.

The army that besieged Larissa is what remains of that one tough Macedonian stack. All though their ranks were depleted and I outnumbered them, they proved to be formidable in their own right.

And now to finish the incursion.

Both Macedonian generals escaped. I even destroyed their entire bodyguard. Too bad.

I sent my field army to Larissa for retraining and sent the militia to Thebes. Macedon is pretty much broken now. But I don't think I will invade the remainder of their lands soon. The nearby Indie Greek settlements look tasty. And if I move further north, I'll certainly bump heads with those damn Thracians. I've had enough Thracians in my last AAR. So I'll keep Macedon as a hostile buffer for a while.

Last edited by Dog Fart; August 31, 2008 at 09:07 PM.

During this session I focused on reforming my field army and boosting my economy. Things are still a bit slow but progressing.

Macedon sues for peace again. I accepted so I could buy myself some time to raise money and armour my troops.

Then Scythia offered an alliance. Of course I took it just to keep Thrace in line.

My faction leader Areus died. He did well during his reign. But now his vice conquorer Chermonide is running the show.

And now Thrace is attacking Germania. Good to see them distracted from Greece.

I skipped a few turns with fraps. Nothing exciting was happening. I enjoyed a brief period of peace and started developing my cities and armoured my field army.

Once I had my main army prepaired, I took Timoleon and a small militia to besiege Thermon.

As you can see by the crappy stats I auto resolved.

After capturing Thermon I became the richest faction. It only lasted a couple of turns though.

The Romans invaded Epirus and were pushed back and forth by the Indie Greeks. Then they sent a small stack just outside of Thermon. I sent Chermonide and the army to stand guard just outside Thermon to discourage a Roman assault. Neither Greece or Rome are in a position for war. I wish the AI wasn't so stupid. But when my army left Larissa, the Macedonians laid seige to it. So I did what any XGM player would do.

Sadly, this was the best that Macedon could muster. When I saw this stack I knew I'd eleminate them soon.

Macedon also had a small stack just north of the Thessalian pass. If the ai was smart enough to pool together it's units it may have put up a better fight.

Leonidas of Sparta just came of age. In every Greek campaign I've played I've always tried to build him into a great general. Right now I'm trying to raise a second field army under his command. The first army will drive it's way to Byzantium, and the new army will move twards Illyria.

The fall of Macedonia.

Taking Macedonia gave me a good money boost. I started retraining the units that took the heaviest casulaties. It looks like the road to Byzantium won't be too difficult.

Things are starting to look pretty good.

Last edited by Dog Fart; August 31, 2008 at 09:08 PM.

Webba's Avatar Semisalis

If you don't like the though of facing Thrace again it might be better to go for them as soon as possible since they're a much weaker faction early on, particularly regarding armour and economy. Their capital is also right next to Macedonian territory so you can cripple them after the first siege.
    A mod of a mod of a mod - My Carthage AAR

I was thinking of something similar to that Webba. They have a war in their northern front with Germania. If I blitz my way to the Black Sea I could have a good chance of catching them off guard as you said.

Maybe after that I could use some of the profit from that conquest to raise a fleet and take the Crimea. Staging an early war against Scythia. It might be best to cripple those guys as soon as possible. The only thing that really worries me are those damn Romans.:hmmm:

Primicerius

Nice job Dirty, your progressing nicely. I say unite Greece up to Salona and Byzantium then invade Thrace, which you can follow up with a black sea raid on Scythia. If you do decide to invade Scythia, land a stack in Crimea, take Olbia, and make for there capital ASAP. But keep your eye on Rome....

And why do you have a different starting faction leader? Has it changed recently in XGM, for me it was always Kleomenes, and Antigonos was the second Spartan, althouh Demosthenes was the faction heir. Who's this Areus guy?

Scutarii: I just installed the latest version of XGM. It seems we have new characters and pics and so forth. It threw me off a bit too. Nice idea on breaking Scythia, sounds like you've done this a few times.

Primicerius

Interesting... Haven't played a conventional Greek campaign in what feels like forever... May have to break out my Spartans for another campaign.

I have done that, albeit only twice (once as Pontus, once as Macedon). Usually I avoid them like the plague... Which, incidently, I've also used against them. Doesn't work quite as well...

What I mentioned before works surprisingly well, but is far easier if you do it when Scythia is hemmed in/occupied by there neighbors, or haven't gotten on there feet yet. You should be fine, I reckon. I would make breaking them a bit of a priority though, if you've read chazap's greek AAR, you'd have seen the awesome power of the Scythians once they conquer enough territory that isn't as crappy as there homeland.

Now things are starting to get a little tight.

Rome has just sent a full stack in the Pelopennese. Why? It's stupid. But then again ai is controlling it. So it all makes sense. So it's time for young Leonidas to teach these Roman punks a lesson.

After his defensive campaign, I send Leonidas back to Larissa to retrain his army.

Then I send my faction leader Chremonide to besige Amphipolis.

At the end of the turn, the Indie Greeks beseiged Pella. I had Chremonide capture Amphipolis, leave his levies to garrison it, and take the remainder of his army to relieve Pella.

And now to wipe out this pathetic little crap stack.

Then I station Chremonide just outside of Pella. That way I can defend my northern provinces while Leonidas defends the south. I maybe on defense for a while. I spent alot of money building agoras in Larrisa, Athens, and Corinth. Not to mention all the retraining I had to do.

The Romans sent their best general Decius to avenge their defeat in the Pelopennese. Leonidas pushes them out.

I lost my cavalry in this fight.

Then I collected some levies in the Pelopennese and destroyed a tiny Roman force.

After Decius's defeat, he fled back to his navy just off the coast of Arcadia. I sent my navy after him. Decius, his navy, and the remains of his army joined the countless souls lost in the sea.

Army upkeep.

The Indie Greeks assasinated the spy I had in Pella and sent one of their spy inside the settlement sparking a riot.

And thats where I left off.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast