Thread: Raising Rank

ZealotsACH's Avatar Civis

Default Raising Rank

according to "The Ultimate Guide to Playing RTR Historically as the Romans" by Candelarius, in order to raise a family member's rank (ie, Tribune to Legate), they must leave the army and spend 2/3 turn in a city. when they return to the army, after one turn, they should have the new rank. now, i dont know what 2/3 of a turn is in a 4 turn game () but what i have been doing is leaving them in the city until they get the "former 'rank'" trait, then returning them to the army. this has worked fine but i just want to make sure this is the most direct route to doing this with 3.3.3.

also while on the subject, some family members have two "Military Service - " traits. example on "Gnaues the Profane" , he has two listed military service years, one say 22 and the other says 4. the 22 is accurate as where i have no clue where the 4 came from.

Default Re: Raising Rank

I think what they mean by "2/3" is two to three turns in the city (0.5 to 0.75 of a year), which is about how long it takes to get the "former" trait, so I think you're right on track

As for the two military service attributes, I've never seen anything like that before, so good question.

Quote Originally Posted by GJC View Post
    what i have been doing is leaving them in the city until they get the "former 'rank'" trait, then returning them to the army. this has worked fine but i just want to make sure this is the most direct route to doing this with 3.3.3.
    Aye, that is the way to do it - you can see the status of their 'retirement' from a post by hovering over the trait (the tooltip tells you how long till they get the former trait). One additional thing though, a character can't gain the General trait while holding a Legion ancillary. You have to give it to another character before the new ancillary and trait are received.

Also, remember you can only have so many generals, quaestors, etc. based on the number of provinces you control. It's covered in the guide.

also while on the subject, some family members have two "Military Service - " traits. example on "Gnaues the Profane" , he has two listed military service years, one say 22 and the other says 4. the 22 is accurate as where i have no clue where the 4 came from.
    I've seen this mostly with adopted or members who marry in. It doesn't hurt anything, just looks odd. The counter for 22 years should be correct.
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said, 'I drank what?'"

yes, the 22 (24 now) years is correct. besides being visually there, the other military years trait has no effect.

something i have been wondering and havent seen any posts on is whether a fort counts as controlling an army or as being in a city. when i have a fort, the "general" loses his gold star that indicates he is the leader of the army. so when in a fort, is that considered leading an army or being in a city as in does that count towards years in military service or years in a city "retired"?

something i have been wondering and havent seen any posts on is whether a fort counts as controlling an army or as being in a city. when i have a fort, the "general" loses his gold star that indicates he is the leader of the army. so when in a fort, is that considered leading an army or being in a city as in does that count towards years in military service or years in a city "retired"?
    I had the same question when I first started playing Rome. Forts definitely count towards military service. I normally park my idle generals in forts and they keep accumulating years of service.

ah, thanks

I've had some problems with the military counters and with the advancement triggers as well. Anyone else experience the counters stopping at 19 years or so, or with a tenured officer not getting the legate/praetor promotion on time b/c of this error? I read the info that was included with the mod and my # of settlements seems to be correct, but my most senior general, 20+ years, is stuck at 19 and can't make it from fmr. legate to praetor when he takes the field. Also, my fmr. legates, who should revert to legates when they resume the field, aren't getting the active legate title. Any thoughts?

Quinn Inuit's Avatar Artifex

Hi, welcome to the boards!

Maybe. Are you leaving them in the field for >2 turns with more infantry than cavalry? Also, are you sure you're counting your number of provinces correctly?
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

My writing-related Twitter feed.

Thanks, I'll give it one more go here, otherwise I'm considering removing the subterfuge rating and letting the awards go auto with age.

I started experiencing the problem after I spent about an hour or so moving ancillary banners between characters (not unrealistic IMHO since Roman aristos would lend out clerks and other members of their retinue.) This was at least 6 hours into gameplay (long-time fan, first-time poster.)

I should point out too that I'm a huge fan of this mod as is, and absolutely appreciate the realism as it's pretty accurate. (I've read Polybius, Suetonius, Plutarch, Appian, Tacitus, etc...) but if there are any any members of the RxR team looking, in terms of ancillary bonuses, you might want to consider removing the subterfuge requirement (since unqualified or competitive generalships, as well as economic populism, is what led to Marian/Sullan factionalism.)

Just wondering if any of the modders have considered factionalism or the possibility for a factional rebellion in the first century BC.

Eat Meat Whale Meat
    Technical Staff Citizen took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Quote Originally Posted by tullyccro View Post
    Thanks, I'll give it one more go here, otherwise I'm considering removing the subterfuge rating and letting the awards go auto with age.

I started experiencing the problem after I spent about an hour or so moving ancillary banners between characters (not unrealistic IMHO since Roman aristos would lend out clerks and other members of their retinue.) This was at least 6 hours into gameplay (long-time fan, first-time poster.)

I should point out too that I'm a huge fan of this mod as is, and absolutely appreciate the realism as it's pretty accurate. (I've read Polybius, Suetonius, Plutarch, Appian, Tacitus, etc...) but if there are any any members of the RxR team looking, in terms of ancillary bonuses, you might want to consider removing the subterfuge requirement (since unqualified or competitive generalships, as well as economic populism, is what led to Marian/Sullan factionalism.)

Just wondering if any of the modders have considered factionalism or the possibility for a factional rebellion in the first century BC.
    I think the subterfuge rating is how it keeps track of traits and ancillaries, since it may not be possible to check for traits in the ancillary triggers.

Another quick question about ancillary banners and character progression. What happens if my legion V commander dies, let's say I have 7 legates at this point, and then another officer become eligible for legate. Does he assume command of the 5th or is he assigned the 8th?

Eat Meat Whale Meat
    Technical Staff Citizen took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Another quick question about ancillary banners and character progression. What happens if my legion V commander dies, let's say I have 7 legates at this point, and then another officer become eligible for legate. Does he assume command of the 5th or is he assigned the 8th?
    You'll probably have to test it yourself to see what happens. Let us know your findings.

He will receive the first "free" legion banner (in your case Legio V.) because its trigger is checked first.

You'll have to get rid of any Legion or Field Army banner to promote a Former Legate to a Praetor ranked general after at least 20 yrs of Service.
    And any Former Legate must carry a single Legion banner to be engaged again as an active Legate.

The whole promotion thing depends on the subterfuge value, which is provided only by the legion and field army banners. Otherwise a player could create "super-generals", carrying multiple legion banners only to increase Troop morale.
    ~Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa
    No spamming since 63 BC

Excellent. Thanks for the info. I started having problems thinking clearly once I saw that not only was there a "new" Total Realism version but there was ExRealism as well. (Haven't played RTR since the first version years ago) So I spent almost 24 hours on it yesterday. Absolutely amazing. Probably should have just taken a few deep breaths and thought logically and I could have answered my own questions so thanks for your patience. Now I'll probably be late to pick up my gf from the airport. How will I explain that it was absolutely essential for Publius Scipio to make consul before the invasion of North Africa before I could leave?

Cheers,