Thread: cant put path in exe ?

Default cant put path in exe ?

So downloaded and installed,went to change the path to the exe, Eg c\games\rome etc, but after inserting the correct path i get an error message saying something like. Cant us \",-/",- these symbols?

Quinn Inuit's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: cant put path in exe ?

Hi, Caledonius!

Would you mind posting a screenshot of the error message? I'd like to see precisely what you're doing.

Where, precisely, are you trying to enter this information? Remember, you need to create a shortcut and enter it there.

Also, have you looked at the alternate installation guides linked in the main post? They explain it better than my instructions in some ways.
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

My writing-related Twitter feed.

Hi, my directory is:
    D \Games\Rome\RTWPE\exrm

On the short cut that works fine for rtwpe
    in start is D:\Games\Rome
    in the box target it is D:\Games\Rome\RomeTW.exe -show_err -mod:RTRPE -nm

so if you could tell me what the exact line is i will try that?

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn Inuit View Post
    Hi, Caledonius!

Would you mind posting a screenshot of the error message? I'd like to see precisely what you're doing.

Where, precisely, are you trying to enter this information? Remember, you need to create a shortcut and enter it there.

Also, have you looked at the alternate installation guides linked in the main post? They explain it better than my instructions in some ways.
    Error message

So changed the path ,it now loads to initial screen and now get this error?

HouseOfHam's Avatar Primicerius

Why are you putting exrm under RTRPE? It's a completely self-contained mod and should be installed at the same level with RTRPE, etc.
    RTR website/SVN admin

- Settlement coordinate locator -for RTW/M2TW
    - EDB Validator v1.2.8 (Oct 16, 2012) - for RTW/M2TW
    - RTW scripting tutorials
    - n-turns per year script generator

ZealotsACH's Avatar Civis

i had lots of trouble trying to install ExRM with RTRPE installed. do a clean install of RTW and patch up to 1.6 then just install ExRM on that. should fix any problems you're having. you do not need to install RTRPE as ExRM includes it.

That depends on whether RTRPE installed next to it is the mod-switch version (which would work), or the version that overwrites vanilla files.
    RTR website/SVN admin

ah, i see. i didnt have the mod switch version so i ran into trouble. either way i think the easiest way to get playing the quickest is just install ExRM 3.3.3 to vanilla RTW BI 1.6. it should provide you with a modded shortcut for your desktop so no need to edit the file path. at least i think as i dont remember having to modify any shortcuts :hmmm:plus its set up as its own directory so you can still play vanilla RTW and BI.

hope you get playing soon as this is truly an awesome mod.

Quote Originally Posted by GJC View Post
    ah, i see. i didnt have the mod switch version so i ran into trouble. either way i think the easiest way to get playing the quickest is just install ExRM 3.3.3 to vanilla RTW BI 1.6. it should provide you with a modded shortcut for your desktop so no need to edit the file path. at least i think as i dont remember having to modify any shortcuts :hmmm:plus its set up as its own directory so you can still play vanilla RTW and BI.

hope you get playing soon as this is truly an awesome mod.
    i could do that as i have romeTW original copy.I could copy that to my C drive as my rtwpe is located in my D drive.
    The thing the worries me is the second error "3D Audio failed to initialise" error?
    i have played BI without problems but when i earlier tried to install imperator2 i got the very same error and have no idea as to what it is?
    Last edited by caledonius; August 29, 2008 at 05:29 PM.

so you are installing on a vanilla (original, non-modded) version of RTW BI patched to 1.6? if so im afraid i cant help as once i tried to install on vanilla i had no problems.

here is my filepath (your's MAY differ); C:\Program Files\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War
    in this directory, your FILE folders should show up as; BI, custom, data, ExRM, Docs, Miles, preferences, saves, temp, plus other file likie campaign_map_reset and mss32.dll and such (after installling ExRM.).

Quote Originally Posted by GJC View Post
    so you are installing on a vanilla (original, non-modded) version of RTW BI patched to 1.6? if so im afraid i cant help as once i tried to install on vanilla i had no problems.

here is my filepath (your's MAY differ); C:\Program Files\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War
    in this directory, your FILE folders should show up as; BI, custom, data, ExRM, Docs, Miles, preferences, saves, temp, plus other file likie campaign_map_reset and mss32.dll and such (after installling ExRM.).
    Thanks for showing your path,i think i will have to un-install and start again from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by caledonius View Post
    Thanks for showing your path,i think i will have to un-install and start again from scratch.
    thats what she said

i had to do the same thing. but once i reinstalled and installed ExRM i had no problems whatsoever so you should be good.

It's interesting that so many people have had these installation problems. Does anyone have any suggestions on what else I can do to help new users avoid them?
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

Heptagenia's Avatar Civis

i never had problem to install. i had try on xp and vista

Brusilov brought this to my attention recently (this information was originally posted in the RTR-PE support forum by florin80):

There were several variants of BI/RTW+BI sold.

There is a single-dvd Gold edition that has both RTW and BI on it and installs right to v1.6 so you don't need to patch at all.

BUT, there is an older 2-disk edition out there that has RTW v1.5 on one disk, and an older version of BI on another. After you install BI, it actually downgrades RTW to v1.4.

If you have the 2-disk edition do this: After installing RTW and BI, run RTW. If it says 1.4, you need to install the v1.5 patch, THEN install v1.6.
    RTR website/SVN admin

Good to know, thank you. I've linked your post from the main one.
    Last edited by Quinn Inuit; September 03, 2008 at 09:20 PM.

In relation to ExRM, just to inform people that the 'Rome: Anthology' pack that includes Rome/BI+Alex has them each on a seperate CD/DVD(so 3 CD/DVD's in the game case).

Now i've installed just Rome: Total War and Barbarian Invasion and the game reported Rome as 1.5, then after adding Barbarian Invaision as 1.6.

So unlike the Gold Edition, BI does not seem to downgrade your Rome installation, and should be good for adding ExRM, other people may be able to confirm this(as i'm new to the ExRM mod).