Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spartan Family Tree

cpdwane's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Spartan Family Tree

Quote Originally Posted by Xerrop View Post
    And without the lessons from the Carians there would never be spartan hoplites. And the Carians adopted their warfare from ancient near east armies used by Assyria (that was really succesful military discipline ) and Babylon.
    And without the Lydian's introducing the Phoenecean writing system to the Hellas, None of their great historians would have been able to let us know about all of this! Either that or it would have been in some indecipherable script no one could understand... Linear B

__________"Ancient History is my Achilles' Heel"___________

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Spartan Family Tree

Quote Originally Posted by Xerrop View Post
    And without the lessons from the Carians there would never be spartan hoplites. And the Carians adopted their warfare from ancient near east armies used by Assyria (that was really succesful military discipline ) and Babylon.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpdwane View Post
    And without the Lydian's introducing the Phoenecean writing system to the Hellas, None of their great historians would have been able to let us know about all of this! Either that or it would have been in some indecipherable script no one could understand... Linear B
    And I missed where I actually denied any of that. The point I was making was that the Spartan war machine was a critical turning in the military ethos of the so-called western world.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12