Thread: Norwood Chapel

Djûn's Avatar ॐमणिपद्मेहूँ

Default Norwood Chapel

Outside the busy hustle and bustle of London city centre, you find yourself looking at a pristine chapel beyond a small metal gate.

Erected as a place of blessing for those beginning on an arduous pilgrimage to Canterbury from the English Capital, it now too houses the quarters of the young priest Guy D'Anjou.

It is here that Guy maintains the the building, ensuring that the shrine within remains in good repair and keeping alight the numerous candles kept for the benefit of those who had a blessing for such men and women who no longer were around.

The priest welcomes all visitors, eager to share what food or drink he may have with him or to lend a kind ear to the troubled and repentant.

Default Re: Norwood Chapel

The Archbishop Hywel Caradog arrives at the Chapels gates upon a litter, followed by his usual procession of Monks, Priests and Scribes. He turns to them;

Leave now please for St George's. I do not wish to be imposing upon the young Priest. I shall meet you there. Gerard, with me.

He walks up through the graveyard, Gerard follwing suite whilst the procesion disperse to their own devices in London, wondering how many drinks they can down before the Archbishop returns.

Hywel Caradog walks into the humble Chapel, and slowly walks down the isle, searching for the novice French Priest.

The Frenchman is shocked to see a man of such high class in his simple chapel.

"Your Grace, welcome to Norwood Chapel. How may I serve you this day?"

I will cut to the meaning, Guy, as I know you are a clever man and we need not waste out time on formallities and small talk. Gerard, could you wait outside for a moment?

Gerard leaves through the double doors, but Hywel knows he will be listening still so takes Guy further down the isle, and begins to speak quietly;

As you know I am now governor of the Archdiocese or York. And there I have two parishes, to be governed by either a Bishop or a Priest beneath me. These Parshies be that of Yorkshire or Northumbarland and Cumbria. I have allready offered Walter one, and he is yet to choose. But they are both on offer, and you two are the most advanced priests I know. S what of it? Govern one of these parishes under me in York?

"I am at the Will of the Lord Almighty. If thee, His Divine presence in the Church of England, have requested my aid, then I gladly accept your generous offer, Your Grace."

Thank you, Guy. Which Parish would you prefer, that of Yorkshire, or that of Northumbria and Cumbria? Walter shalt have the other.

"Your Grace, it would seem to me that, as he is the more seniour of us, that Walter should be given first choice of the fiefs."

An Honourable and unselfish choice, good Guy. Very well. He shall. A messenger shall ride here after with a letter. It shall have my seal upon it. In there shall it state your Parish to govern over. May you serve it well. And I must grant you, a more than humble lodging will be under your power to construct there, should you wish it.

And so the Archbishop departs. When he quickly opens the Church double door, he hears a shout as it hits the eavdropping Gerard hard on his face so that his lip is bleeding. Guy has just enough time to see the Archbishop cuff him around the head before the Chapel door closes, and once again he is alone.

Guy chuckles at Gerard's plight, looking around once more at the chapel. It appears his days in this place are short numbered. He continues his duties, ensuring the floor is swept and the candles are lit. He kneels before the altar and prays for a safe journey for the Archbishop and awaits his next visitor.

A messenger upon a mighty white stallion arrives at the Chapel. The final destination of his busy day, Rhodri dismounts, and leads the beast through the Churchyard, then ties it to a railing. He pulls a letter out from beneath his surcoat, which is covered with the heraldry of the Archbishop of York. He knocks thrice, and the door of the Chapel is opened.

'May I come in, Father? I have a letter from the Archbishop here.'

Guy hurries to the door upon hearing the knocking. He opens it to find the messenger and ushers him in.

"Please come in, my son, come in. What news from the Archbishop?"

Once Rhodri is comfbortably sat and has a wineskin in his hand, he passes the letter to the Priest, who opens it carefully, breaking the Archbishops red wax seal as he does so.

Inside are two pieces of Parchment, neatly and carefully folded. He opens the first. It reads;

Dear Guy,
    Inside this letter is a will and rights to your lands. Walter having chosen Northumbria and Cumbria, the Parish of Yorkshire is yours. The will is signed by both me and a fellow Priest from Rome. Treat it well. Also in hear is an Insigna Ring. Wear it always, as it is proof to your right. Go to Yorkshire, and find a small chapel there of St. Cuthberts. Show the Priest there the ring, and he will give you a number of men. They will help you in seccuring a home of gevernance in the land. You may build a new one, or buy an old one.

Treat Yorkshire well my friend. I am sure you will.

Archbishop of York, Head of Church in London and England,

Hywel Caradog
    'I best be going then, Priest. If you wish, you may ride up to Yorkshire with me. And no, I did not read the letter, the Archbishop told me to suggest it. But judging by that beautifull ring, you are now head of the Parish there?'

Guy is delighted at this news. He now finally has a parish in which he may lead his flock.

"I shall ride up to Yorkshire with thee, Rhodri. It will be safer for me in that way."

He continues to stare at the beautiful signet ring given to him, turning it over in his hand before sliding it onto his finger, admiring the engraving upon its face.

OOC: What was in the second piece of parchment?

OOC: Sorry, the will and rights to your lands.

OOC: Thanks

Guy clears up his belongings for the last time. It is only now he really does realise how little he owns. A simple habit and robes, barely half a dozen candles, a pair of sandals, various trinkets and holy symbols and of course the mule waiting outside for his equipment. He turns to a small man next to him, head shaved and smoothed with pumice.

"Well, Frére Maximilian, this is where I must say my goodbyes. Be sure to maintain the chapel well, be kind to the populace, bless those who ask of thee, listen to those who are in need of thee. Be sure to continue to serve the Lord our God with all thy strength and never let thy faith falter."

Guy crosses himself and prays once more in unison with Maximilian, then turns and, with a sigh, opens the chapel doors.

The trip to York shall be long and Guy can only place his faith in God and his companion Rhodri that they are not beset by bandits or thugs. He takes the rope attached to the mule's neck in his hand and guides it along the road, heading to London and then onwards to the North...