Thread: Athenai, Sparte, Pergamon etc...

Senator

Icon5 Athenai, Sparte, Pergamon etc...

I really enjoyed playing as the Greek city states in EB I, but I thought the cities in the Hellenistic world were much more under-developed than they were at the time - and the same goes for Kart-Hadast, and cities in Mesopotamia... Is this just for gameplay reasons??

Because I think it would make the game more interesting and historically accurate if the cities in Greece, North Africa, Egypt etc. were more developed than those of the Romans and Arveni etc. for example, and actually had the buildings they did during 272 BC - like a huge odeon thingy (forgotten the name) in Pergamon... :hmmm:

Default Re: Athenai, Sparte, Pergamon etc...

it would be good to make them more developed.
    especially carthago , it had the best navy and port in that time...
    lets hope they include for each faction advanced buildings for a faction that historically had them in the period eb stars

delra's Avatar Praepositus

Carthage already has almost everything build there when EB1 starts...

delra @
    are you saying that carthage has everything form the start in eb1 ?
    well lets say the buildinngs they really had historically advanced in 272 bc

Senator

Yeah, I agree - Carthage and it's colonies should have a lot more advanced buildings - for example, some don't even have Coastal Clearings... I mean - it is the Carthaginians here...

not only the Carthaginians .
    the Greeks had complex buildings too , im even thinking that Egypt had more complex buildings in that time, now , im not trying to give any faction advantage ..

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by 6EcLV4RcL09 View Post
    not only the Carthaginians .
    the Greeks had complex buildings too , im even thinking that Egypt had more complex buildings in that time, now , im not trying to give any faction advantage ..
    I agree with this too. Also some of the ancient cities in Mesopotamia should be much more significant (Babylon, Susa etc.) :hmmm:

yep Babylon , Pergamom , ( Susa idont know about the city but ill look )
    they should get more advanced cities ..

ENSAIS's Avatar Decanus

Not just for EBII-- but for M2TW as well--I always kind of scratched my head at the convention of building up Rome or London from "large town" or "minor city" with relatively few developments, when in fact by the era the game is representing they were well-developed power houses.

It just seems that the "game" mechanic of development to be able to get better units is too important to already have massive, developed cities ready to pump out near end-game units.

UNLESS... maybe instead all "new" or greatly "improved" units could only happen by virtue of reforms that involve nuanced conditions simulating what would be historically necessary to evolve to the newer unit type?

THEN... the utility and great expense of city-building takes a bit of a backseat though.

Hmm. Interesting issue for any game developer (or in this case the top rate modders of EB.

-ENSAIS

but near end units in EB1 were created on the military barracks not in the settlement . .
    but for gameplay the big city would have a minor training barrack .

Yea, I have noticed that.

How come in EB1 like all of the Hellenistic states were like broke at the start of the game and the best troops I can recruit are levy pikemen?

Because the southern greek states had lost their power to Makedonia, whilst Makedonia herself had just been ravaged by the Gauls a few years earlier. Its not perfect as of course some elites could be recruited, but there certainly wasn't the infrastructure necessary to push out elite units at the level they used to. You need to rebuild it.

In EBII we will be able to control not only what units will be available, but how many. So you can expect to see elites recruitable from the beginning but in small numbers that will take along time to replenish.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Foot View Post
    Because the southern greek states had lost their power to Makedonia, whilst Makedonia herself had just been ravaged by the Gauls a few years earlier. Its not perfect as of course some elites could be recruited, but there certainly wasn't the infrastructure necessary to push out elite units at the level they used to. You need to rebuild it.

In EBII we will be able to control not only what units will be available, but how many. So you can expect to see elites recruitable from the beginning but in small numbers that will take along time to replenish.

Foot
    This sounds like a pretty good solution...
    But will settlements also be better developed? :hmmm:

With how buildings work in EBII, thats not really a correct understanding. Things are going to be different in EBII is the best I can say.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Foot View Post
    With how buildings work in EBII, thats not really a correct understanding. Things are going to be different in EBII is the best I can say.

Foot
    kk - thanks for answering my questions anyway