Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Phalanx Superiority

Default Re: Phalanx Superiority

If you're going to use phalanxes...overlap them (staggered). Nothing worse than having a phalanx or hoplite unit being bent backwards on the sides and encircled.

If you stagger hoplite / spartan / phalanx formations, you can also use adjacent hoplite / phalanx / spartan units to wrap around lone units that are separated or that are dumb enough to charge your line by themselves.

I LOVE Rome: Total Realism by the way. It reinvigorated my interest in RTW as of...yesterday. haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Juicemisbruk View Post
    The best way to fight with a phalanx in a open fair field battle is 1 line of phalanx, and a few phalanxes behind to cover where the enemy breach trough, about 4 cavalries to cover the sides, and 2 or 3 archers behind, and maybe even a onanger. UNBEATABLE!
    You don't even need the archers or onager. Replace those with more cavalry.

An incredibly effective way to rout units that are crashing into your wall of phalanx formations is to send cavalry units through your lines at full speed.

For me...An army or 10 phalanx / hoplite / spartan units + 6 cavalry (any type will do, honestly) is just fine by themselves.

No point in wasting money on archer units and siege equipment when your spear units will just occupy everyone and your cavalry can induce routing and are flexible enough to cover your flanks at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxGuru View Post
    You don't even need the archers or onager. Replace those with more cavalry.

An incredibly effective way to rout units that are crashing into your wall of phalanx formations is to send cavalry units through your lines at full speed.

For me...An army or 10 phalanx / hoplite / spartan units + 6 cavalry (any type will do, honestly) is just fine by themselves.

No point in wasting money on archer units and siege equipment when your spear units will just occupy everyone and your cavalry can induce routing and are flexible enough to cover your flanks at the same time.
    *Yeah, but i like to have archer so i can just stand there and fire the enemy down if they refuse to close...
    Rome: Total War 2 Then make nr. 3 And continue until it's perfect Rome: Total War 1000

Titus Labienus :- Best leader, commander and soldier...

Bastarnae :- Greatest people ever!!!

question:

Do even sucky phalanxes, like militia phalanxes beat better troops, like hastati from the front or do i atleast need hoplites.
    Rome: Total War 2 Then make nr. 3 And continue until it's perfect Rome: Total War 1000

Quote Originally Posted by Juicemisbruk View Post
    question:

Do even sucky phalanxes, like militia phalanxes beat better troops, like hastati from the front or do i atleast need hoplites.
    Keep the general nearby, and have a higher number of militia hoplites and you should be fine.

IMO missile troops are essential to a phalanx army. it will keep the enem army on the offensive which is good because phalanxes are defensive troops by nature in this game.

Aye, I'll second that.... And as for militia hoplites being able to beat hastati, either have greater numbers, or use loose formation key to avoid being hit by so many pila.

from my experience roman infantry walks all over low tier greek infantry. i would make the formation at least 8 man deep because of the pila storm that kills our phalanx formation.

Another thing i remembered... In a phalanx vs phalanx fight, the phalanxes switch to swords almost instantly. Thats lame work...

Quote Originally Posted by darthbane7 View Post
    Oh, I don't know about that.... I prefer a lot more archers, like Pharoah's Bowmen, and that with Egyptians' elite phalanx unit, rather than just 2.

And the army composition comes out to be this:
    1 General (Assuming you buy one), 4 Cav, 2 Archer, 1 onager and 12 Phalanx Units. This makes for a very rigid formation, and as many multiplayer games have cwb rules, the enemy can utilize a lot more cavalry than your plan calls for (So your nice Sacred Band Cav will be overrun by 8 Cataphract Units).

I would personally use an army composition like this:
    1 Armored General (or give my general gold ups in armor), 6-8 Cav, 4 archers, and 7 pike units (I need the extra numbers, as pikemen have more men than hoplite units per unit card).

This allows you to overrun the enemy cav (hopefully), and counter-attack any enemy archers. And because I specifically use Pikemen, (And esp. if my enemy is using hoplites), hopefully, I'll have enough men to make up for my lack of unit cards (ie. 7 to 12).
    Just saw your post... If they have more cavalry then you, that means you have more hoplites... that means thay you can commit all spare hoplites on the horses... you should be able to force them to attack your phalanx from the front and kill all...

the units matter but what matters more is the payers tactics and micro.

Saint_jimmyz's Avatar Senator

I prefer not to have archers, or if I do then it is two units just to distract the enemy. Archers do not do enough damage to be worth buying so many units at the expense of combat units.
    Although this may disappoint some people, I am indeed alive, I just went inactive for three years.

Lol, in response to Juicemisbruk:
    Maybe this is a preference thing, but I like to use light cav to dance around those sloooowwww phalanxes (and even ordinary sword infantry) and hit em from the back. Anyways, if you have hoplites go after cav in phalanx mode, they will alos be whittled down by archers.

And at any rate, Egyptian Bowmen are actually pretty good archers and decent medium infantry! You aren't sacrificing much for that huge range (and flaming arrows). And I like to have archers on hand to make ellies and chariots run amok!

Although, I can see your point, Saint_jimmyz, with factions like the seleucids, which don't really have great missile support to use, or the greeks, whose only saving grace is their cretans!

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_jimmyz View Post
    Thats one reason why I prefer mods that use hoplite in a real formation, not phalanx. Hoplites never fought in phalanx formation. RTR and SPQR portray they well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoplite

Wrong!

a balanced army will always beat a spam army

Entropy Judge's Avatar Vicarius

Well, not always ... spammed Foresters can probably take out most equal-tier armies. Probably same with HA.

fourganger's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Entropy Judge View Post
    Well, not always ... spammed Foresters can probably take out most equal-tier armies. Probably same with HA.
    At least spammed HAs are historical.
    Whatcha' wearing?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Daddy smells leather...

spammed legionaires >> HAs.

some infantry can outlast the arrow shower.

Kátz's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by aznflea View Post
    spammed legionaires >> HAs.

some infantry can outlast the arrow shower.
    If there is nobody standing in front of your testudos..
    @Juicemisbruk and LinuxGuru : Please don't double post, after all it's the purpose of the edit button.

no trust me, you can take legions out of tetsudo really fast and fighting in a flash. and if the enemy engages your units in melee they will hurt themselves too due to friendly fire.