Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415

Thread: Phalanx Superiority

Default Re: Phalanx Superiority

well my fav strategy with the phalanx is 4 ss pikes, 2 ss legions 4 catas and maybe a few archers. +upgrades.
    well the flanking attempte turns to oh no! silvershields protecting flanks can't breakthrough, hear come the cataphracts and bammo where did his army go!
    If you've transcended your facticity, congratulations. You're 3 transcendences from HoS.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?p=11049066

Quote Originally Posted by caesar_37th View Post
    well my fav strategy with the phalanx is 4 ss pikes, 2 ss legions 4 catas and maybe a few archers. +upgrades.
    well the flanking attempte turns to oh no! silvershields protecting flanks can't breakthrough, hear come the cataphracts and bammo where did his army go!
    And they say my posts are hard to read.

While his grammar might be a bit wrong, at least his spelling is okay.
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Greve Af Göteborg's Avatar Protector Domesticus

One good thing to do if you want to learn some good Phalanx tactics , go play Alexander (vanilla or Megas Alexandros mod , both are good) . The armies you get are rely very much on phalanxes to defeat the enemy .

Go play it , and you'll learn how to use phalanxes properly

Quote Originally Posted by Selifator View Post
    While his grammar might be a bit wrong, at least his spelling is okay.

No, i disagree, the phalanx is not superior. The phalanx needs more mobile troops to be the 'anvil' the phalanx is good for holding a unit/ units in place more mobility is needed to aid it. Take the Roman Legions, they can easily hold a unit in place, in combat, but it can also use quickness of foot to also flank. The complete unit, not a one hit wonder phalanx.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    No, i disagree, the phalanx is not superior. The phalanx needs more mobile troops to be the 'anvil' the phalanx is good for holding a unit/ units in place more mobility is needed to aid it. Take the Roman Legions, they can easily hold a unit in place, in combat, but it can also use quickness of foot to also flank. The complete unit, not a one hit wonder phalanx.
    This was sorted long ago.

This tread is just for pointless spammy arguments now.

Urban cohort is the only real challenge to a phalanx infantrywise. and their inferior cav does mean flanking is easy. if you integrate multiple phalanxes you have it made. also phalanxes own chaz hard.

Zekey's Avatar Biarchus

Silver legions can hold urbs for a while.

Amaranth's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Max View Post
    Urban cohort is the only real challenge to a phalanx infantrywise.
    I agree that the best roman unit against phalanx is Urbans. Though results are varies, if lucky, at equal numbers and conditions a good Phalanx unit (which is Spartans, the best) is superior against them. But a couple of times I saw Urbans won too.

I made a test once, Urbans vs Spartans , you can see it here.

The trick is, when engaged, Phalanx units tend to move slighty to left or right side (To see it best, watch them fight 1 vs 1 at fastest speed) it's slow but in the long run it gives the Urbans the chance to have them from their sides, and thus getting their weal point. If you can avoid that by facing Phalanx back to enemy at right moment it usually leads to victory. But that's when numbers are equal, Pillas are dangerous against Phalanxes and Urbans take their advantages from using them, to take casualties at minumum I engage Urbans in Loose formation, They sometimes miss too.
    Last edited by Amaranth; June 03, 2009 at 05:53 AM.
    Next Heir Ancillary (NHA) Sub-Mod for Stainless Steel & Third Age Total War

Zekey's Avatar Biarchus

After you engage phalanx press backspace so they get defense bonus.

Amaranth's Avatar Ordinarius

I rarely move my phalanx line, I try to pull the enemy on me, forcing them to assault, by sending missile units (preferably ranged cavalry mercs) or taunting (warcry) them with barbarian merc units which I can spare, I send some light units to front, and when enemy engage, I retreat to my phalanx line and usually AI falls to that trick and throw themselves on my Phalanx line, Then I hit with cavalary from sides to prevent them run away.
    Next Heir Ancillary (NHA) Sub-Mod for Stainless Steel & Third Age Total War