Thread: Cannot delete desktop programs

Hi,

Not sure where to post this so here I go. I recently downloaded 18 Wheels of Steel: Pedal to the Medal, installed the program and uninstalled it a couple of days later when I got bored with it. The issue is this. The program to dl the demo, is one of those that is saved to your desktop, you click on it, it links you to a site and it downloads. Everytime I try to delete that program it wont let me saying "Its in use by another person or program" Same with another icon, the Swat4 demo(not the SP one the MP one).

I redownloaded the program, thinking that would solve it but that didnt help either. My system restore wont let me go back prior to when I downloaded the program, and I've used several different 3rd party applications that delete desktop items that wont go away by normal means. I did restart my computer in safe mode, but the "programs" in question do not show up on the desktop in safe mode. I've gone through the command prompt and tried to delete them that way but no success(not quite sure how to delete files that are on the desktop using DOS). Yes I am the administrator on my computer.

Oh, and yes I did shut down nearly every application that the system didnt need to run, and still the same problem. For some odd reasons though, when I turn off the explorer.exe, I cant see my desktop icons and I've read on several places online that by turning off explorer.exe it'll allow you to delete these programs that could not otherwise be deleted.

One last thing: are these files even on the computer(dont laugh lol) because like I said, in safe mode they dont show up on the desktop....

Pent uP Rage's Avatar Tech *********

when I turn off the explorer.exe, I cant see my desktop icons and I've read on several places online that by turning off explorer.exe it'll allow you to delete these programs that could not otherwise be deleted.
    uhhh, explorer.exe is basically Windows. As you may have noticed, not much can be done when it's not running.
    If you haven't already, I'd say try RegClean. If you have already, look for it in MSCONFIG. If it's there, disable it, restart, then delete. Lemme know if this helps.

under the patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, son of the Black Prince
    Before you post, see if your question has already been answered
    here

Clibby's Avatar Praetor Maximus

I think if you start the computer in *safe mode* then only the bare essentials are loaded therefore allowing you to delete anything you want without having to shut down processes, esp. when your not sure what to do.

Winner of the Tech Award 2005 at www.TotalRome.com

Under the patronage of apparently nobody since they cant keep their citizenship!!!