Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problems with BHD's Mapping Method?

Default Problems with BHD's Mapping Method?

I have made a few maps using BHD's mapping method, but none have worked, when I make it the old fashion way (not as good looking), they work. Has anyone else had the problem where when you load you complete campaign (for the first time), it crashes and gives no err (using the -show_err method).

It would be greatly appreciated if someone could help me out.

(Note: Loads correctly and saves correctly using the Trivium Map Editor, just tried before posting)

Thanks.

From the mouth of the one and only Casca... (If you like the play Julius Caesar or just think Casca is awesome, add this to your sig.)

Default Re: Problems with BHD's Mapping Method?

You may have hit the landmass-ratio CTD, I've been coming up against that in making a recent map. Try adding a huge square block in the middle of some sea in map_heights.

Other than that, there are a few error lists here or at the .Org.

Expand your borders, a mod based on XGM 5.

You mean add large amounts of 0,0,0 or 1,1,1, because if you add 1,1,1, you will get a new island???

From the mouth of the one and only Casca... (If you like the play Julius Caesar or just think Casca is awesome, add this to your sig.)

Well, if you have too much water, the map will crash, so as a testing method to see if that is your problem, try adding a new island.

I tried it and still, I get the crash at the same location. I looked at the list of possible errors from the .org and none of the possible problems are mine. Would you be willing to look at my files?

I could, but I can't promise anything, or anything in a timely manner, as I've started back up at school and have my own projects and what-not.

If u don't mind sharing, u can upload your files here, where multiple people can check them and help out.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

This is not exactly BDH method but concern mapping, if I may ask here.

I've converted RTW base maps (RTR VII & mundus magnus) and both works fine. However, since there's a lot of changes from RTW period to MTW then I guess I need to redo the provinces (map_regions).

I tried combining all regions into a single region (one color) as base but it gives error when trying to load the campaign.

Question is, is it not possible to use such a large area for a single region, making it CTD ? I use some barebone mtw map text files as base (using only england faction).

Edit: I have make sure that only a single black & white pixel exist.
    Last edited by AngryTitusPullo; August 26, 2008 at 06:33 AM.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Are you sure the regions you removed are not mentioned in any other files?

Try using 2 regions instead of 1, one for you, one for the rebels.

Quote Originally Posted by Aradan View Post
    Are you sure the regions you removed are not mentioned in any other files?

Try using 2 regions instead of 1, one for you, one for the rebels.
    I think so, but maybe I miss something. I'll re-check. Anyway I just want to make sure that it's possible in the first place.

I've read that there are possible issues with using very large provinces especially on RTW (BI may have fixed this problem). LestaT, are you modding RTW or MTW?

Quote Originally Posted by CaesarVincens View Post
    I've read that there are possible issues with using very large provinces especially on RTW (BI may have fixed this problem). LestaT, are you modding RTW or MTW?
    Modding RTW map for M2TW Kingdoms

Well, I can't help with anything M2TW, sorry.

If u don't mind sharing, u can upload your files here, where multiple people can check them and help out.
    I don't mind

And btw, files uploaded
    Last edited by HiiMmyself; August 30, 2008 at 10:57 AM.

I found a few things that could cause a ctd.

One, in descr_regions, you have rebels Odrysae and Paionians, neither of those are Roman type rebels, specifically, romans_julii type rebels, that can cause a crash, just as referring to a non-existant faction as faction creator of something can.

Two, all your maps resolution was all over the place, while I don't know that this will cause a crash it is best to have everything at vanilla's resolution to be on the safe side. I redid all the maps for and but otherwise if you have photoshop you can do them yourself, just use 24bits/pixel.

Three, landmass-ratio, your map has wayyyy to much water. I'll upload an alternate map_heights for you to go off of if you like, but the map you are using now has way too much water and you can cut a great deal of it without much loss.

I hope these help you resolve your problems.
    Last edited by CaesarVincens; July 12, 2009 at 04:37 PM.

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

As long as the rebels are defined in descr_rebels.txt (I think that's the file) it doesn't (or at least shouldn't) matter what units get spawned (roman or not) as long as the units have slave ownership in EDU.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

The faction assigned to the rebels doesn't matter? That's what I think would cause the problem.

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

No significance, because the units generated by the file are all slave controlled units.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Iirc the default faction in descr_regions must exist in descr_strat.

But I thought what HiiMmyself said was that when he generates the map himself, then everything works. So the problem should be the .tga files, right?

Iirc the default faction in descr_regions must exist in descr_strat.

But I thought what HiiMmyself said was that when he generates the map himself, then everything works. So the problem should be the .tga files, right?
    Yes, when I make it from scratch and add the heights tediously by hand, it usually works out fine.

@CaesarVincens

That would be great if you uploaded an alternative for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast