Thread: weird video problem

Been having a weird graphics problem as of late,have updated all of my drivers which has caused the problem to become infrequent.
    Was happening mostly when trying to run Battlefield 1942 but also affected Rome.Below is a screenshot of what my map looks like when it happens,if I move the mouse it goes away for a couple of seconds and then reappears,also get white specks instead and also on the battle map...would appreciate it if anyone could clue me in to what might be the culprit.Thank you in advance.
    "Oderint dum metuat"

what kind of card is it?
    how long have you owned the card?
    Advocatus diaboli

Radeon 9700 pro....believe it was October 2003.
    "Oderint dum metuat"

ajimenez3's Avatar Ducenarius

Dose your card have a cooling fan on it? Check it while it is running and see if it is turnning properly.

If it is not it could be getting just hot enough to cuase the problem.

Semper Fi
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them.
    John Bernard Books

Proud Member of the TWC Plebians/Peasants

good grief,I almost choked to death on a dust cloud when I looked behind my comp!!.Guess I will have to whip out the vacuum.Thanks for the tip!

Yup,it was like a 1920's depression-era dustbowl behind there.What really sticks in my craw is I should have remembered this.Have a buddy who is the computer at my workplace and he is constantly chastising me about defragging my hardrive,running regcleaner,ad-aware,and sundry other regular maintanience that a slightly smarter than your average monkey such as myself can do.
    And this was something he told me about....oh well,off to the store for a can of air.
    "Oderint dum metuat"

ajimenez3's Avatar Ducenarius

Yhea all computers tend to attract alot of dust.

Semper Fi
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them.
    John Bernard Books

Proud Member of the TWC Plebians/Peasants

If nothing else works you might have to find yourself a new card, I just recently bought a Nvidia 6800GT that was running similar to what you shown, with dots and lines. The tech support told me to take it back.
    Advocatus diaboli

Pent uP Rage's Avatar Tech *********

I have a Gf2Ti that did something similar. The fan had crapped out and the card was getting to 70C.(bad)
    I modded an old Dell P1 passive heastsink on it and added a spare 80mm fan(hijacked from a fried XBOX). Now it has NO problems and stays at about 30-35C under load.

So, clean that puppy out, check the fans, and post what happens.

under the patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, son of the Black Prince
    Before you post, see if your question has already been answered
    here

Well guys,I cleaned out the back of my computer and made sure the fans operated as they should.Been almost two days since I cleaned everything out and haven't had a problem since,am convinced that was the problem.Once again thank you for all the help in this matter,was really starting to irk me.
    "Oderint dum metuat"