Thread: 6800 GT different types?

I just bought a 6800 GTo just this last week and after putting it in it worked fine for about 45 minutes, then started getting spotty and glitchy(lines on the screen and dots) The tech support told me to exchange it for a different one at the store, so I go back to the store and exchanged it. I noticed right away they looked different, the first one had a goldish shiny cover and 2 fans, the second had blackish cover with 1 large fan. I called tech support about it again and they said the single fan one was the 1st model of it and there is no difference between the cards. That just sounds odd to me that there would be no difference when they look different and one with 2 fans and the other with 1. So did i get ripped off or will i survive :happy

edit: I hope they just changed the fan system, I could live with that. And the new card works splendidly
    Advocatus diaboli

They're just for cooling. Some models are just geared a little bit for overclocking hence the extra fans.

You should see Leadteks version. The cooling system is bigger than the card.

well both of the cards are the same type, just different looks.
    Advocatus diaboli

They have the same name right? And made by the same company?
    Clients: Caius Britannicus, Waitcu, Spurius, BrandonM, and Tsar Stephan.
    http://www.totalwardai.com

Pent uP Rage's Avatar Tech *********

If you're talking about the BFG's , yes, the newer cooler is better than the old one. and yes, you got an identical card, just a different(better)cooler. The fragments you saw were probably caused by the card overheating slightly. (That's why they changed it.)

I believe the old ones were normal heatsink types, where the new ones are heat pipe coolers(more efficient)

under the patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, son of the Black Prince
    Before you post, see if your question has already been answered
    here