Thread: Announcing New Categories for the monthly competitions!

Icon4 Announcing New Categories for the monthly competitions!

I'm really, really, REALLY sorry for the many stickies, but as you might know, this sub-forum is still in a developing phase. Won't have that much stickies after a while. But this news needs to be stickied.

So, we're introducing new categories for the monthly AAR Competitions, as proposed by the fuzz in the Prothalamos thread, but with a few alterations. Here are the categories, love 'em or hate 'em.

Best Narrative --the AAR that has the best narrative (regarding dialogues, characters, exposition, etc.) may earn this title

Best Historical AAR --the historically most accurate or most intense AAR may earn this title, or the one told like in a history book

Best Graphics -- the AAR with the overall best pictures may earn this title

Best Battle Report -- the AAR with the cutting edge battle report may earn this title.

Each category winning AAR gets an additional +1 point on the Leaderboard.
    For each category an adjudicator is already assigned, who will award these titles for one RTW and one M2TW AAR each month (and for the previous month as well).

The names of the jury are kept secret for a while, but I'll let you guess.

This small improvement won't affect the public voting & point system as outlined in the revised FAQ. So there will be a public vote for 6,3,2 points (and a medal for the winner) + there will be these new categories for additional 1 points.
    Last edited by Aldgarkalaughskel; August 20, 2008 at 03:54 AM.

Default Re: Announcing New Categories for the monthly competitions!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

i liked this idea the minute i heard it, although i don't see any of my categories in it

i understand thats so the categories apply to all the aars

heres an idea, the aars have to be nominated for the monthly compitition, and the writer submits a section for each category he/she wishes to submit to.

then we hold a public vote for the said scenes, so the authors are picking what they feel as the best section to its category

this will help with the coting also since the voters dont have to read the whole aar to make there decision then it will encourage more to vote

scratch the vote thing, but being selective when you nominate the peice will help the jury

also, each aar can post only one peice for each category, but if an author has more than one in competition, he could in theory have as many as he wants, so long as there is a corresponding aar for it
    Last edited by TheTrueGreek; August 19, 2008 at 06:54 PM.
    Take Adventures in a Land Down Under. My latest AAR

Babagitta's Avatar Campidoctor

Well done fuzz and PW! That's exactly what I was looking for!
    Now everyone has a chance to gain some points by showing his special talents.

Heaven has a charismatic Writer now

Icon1 Re: Announcing New Categories for the monthly competitions!

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrueGreek View Post
    i liked this idea the minute i heard it, although i don't see any of my categories in it
    TheTrueGreek, thanks for your comments. Especially which categories are you referring to? The categories were discussed here.

heres an idea, the aars have to be nominated for the monthly compitition, and the writer submits a section for each category he/she wishes to submit to. then we hold a public vote for the said scenes, so the authors are picking what they feel as the best section to its category
    Meanwhile I find this a good idea, I don't think we should restrict the adjudicators to focus on only one or few posts. In the case of the last category (best battle report) it would be reasonable, but the jury still could find that another section of the AAR is better. And keep in mind that all the other 3 categories apply to the entirety of the AAR.

Quote Originally Posted by Babagitta View Post
    Well done fuzz and PW! That's exactly what I was looking for! Now everyone has a chance to gain some points by showing his special talents.
    Yes, that's the whole idea.

PW is doing a good job trying to have everyone's talents rewarded--thank him, not me!

i understand, but its good to throw around ideas

Quote Originally Posted by PowerWizard View Post
    TheTrueGreek, thanks for your comments. Especially which categories are you referring to? The categories were discussed here.
    i was meaning the categories in the general discussion, i wasnt aware of this until august so i missed the beggining debates, the categories i meant were made for scene specific, so if there is some greatly awesome scene, he could be rewarded for it.

I.E. 1. best tragedy- this would be the best written failure or horrid thing happening in the aar, an example would be the ending to the lithuanian aar by musthavename

2. best comedy scene- obviously, this would be who has the most funniest scene out there- dont know an example of this as i read serious aars

3. best action scene- the best fighting sequence in the competition- this will most likely be very debateable for who wins, as many make very good action and fighting sequences revolving around 1v1 fights with knights

this uses the above process i mentioned, i wish to see your views on this method as well, but if we employ this, we would be handing out alot of points a month, so the limits might need to be raised
    Last edited by Aldgarkalaughskel; August 21, 2008 at 08:04 AM. Reason: merged double posts

Icon1 Re: Announcing New Categories for the monthly competitions!

@TheTrueGreek

I think these categories will be enough, and I can't be arsed to look for people who would judge f.e. best comedy scene, it's not easy to get experts in the jury anyway. These 4 categories will cover the areas the most AARs have, namely a narrative, a battle report, pictures and historical background.

About best tragedy and comedy scene: meanwhile I find this idea good, it would be almost impossible to judge which one is the best, nonetheless it would require somebody who would browse all the scenes... that's a lot of work. And the best action scene is already covered with the best battle report.

but if we employ this, we would be handing out alot of points a month
    That's why these 4 categories will be enough.

i understand, i was simply answering your question

anyway, its beneficial for us to debate about this as we find the best middle ground to proceed on

Okay, the message has been sent out, I shall now close this thread and throw it in the Archive.