Thread: Tropic Thunder- a review

André Masséna's Avatar Vicarius

Default Tropic Thunder- a review

What can I say about this summers comedy hit, "Tropic Thunder"?

It has been called offensive by some, hilarious by others, and by this gentleman "the greatest Ben Stiller movie, of all time!"

I'll fill you in on the basics. A first time Director has set his sights high. He wants to create the greatest war movie of all time. He is basing his film off the book of a Vietnam Veteran who took part in a secret mission to free POW's from the North Vietnamese. The only problem is the new Director doesn't know how to handle his actors, whom he describes accurately as Primadonas. Enter the grizzled Vietnam Vet who suggests the actors learn what Warfare is really like and shoot real emotion on their faces, and not just practiced acting.

That's all I will tell you, because I'd hate to ruin any part of this hilarious adventure. Some people have issues with two things.
    1. Simple Jack
    Simple Jack is a character played by Ben Stiller's character in a previous movie. He is retarded...stereotypically so. What these people don't seem to realize is that Simple Jack is not making fun of retarded people, but of actors who think they can "be" a retarded person in an attempt to snatch an academy award.
    2. Kirk Lazarus.
    Kirk Lazarus is played by Robert Downey, Jr. A white man. As you all know, in Tropic Thunder his character undergoes pigmintation...surgery...to be "black" for his part in the movie. That being an African American Platoon Sgt. People see this just as black face racism. No. Again.

This is Downey making fun of actors who take themselves so seriously that they think they can play another race and do the part justice.

Tropic Thunder is not just a comedy, it's a social statement about Hollywood's actors, Directors, Producers, and Agents.

It's a slap in the face of those who take themselves too seriously out there, and a much needed one at that. I would highly recommend this movie to Children of all ages.....

it's rated R though....so be sure you have an 18 year old with you when you see it, kids.
    America is an Apple pie
    with a few bad apples
    right toward the top.

Darth Ravenous's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: Tropic Thunder- a review

It was by far the best comedy in year's.

lol I wouldn't recommend it to children but it is hilarious(Pineapple Express was funnier IMO)
    I admire your luck, Mr...?

Bond..James Bond

Roman_Wolf's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Ravenous View Post
    It was by far the best comedy in year's.
    I second that. brilliant comedy
    Love is the most powerful thing on Earth, unless you have access to weaponry.

Saw it yesterday, it was allright.
    End of an era

Pretty good, but not that memorable.

Claudius Gothicus's Avatar Petit Burgués

I couldn't stop laughing

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Jack Black: AHHH My ass!!

Opifex

Can someone tell me why they decided to include gratuitous gore in this "comedy"? Sure, I like to see a 18year old private hold his innards in his hands, har har that was so hilarious.

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty,
    the tranquility of servitude greater than
    the animating contest for freedom, go
    home from us in peace. We seek not
    your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch
    down and lick the hand that feeds you,
    and may posterity forget that ye were
    our countrymen."
    -Samuel Adams

they were making fun of hollywood gorefests...