Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A mod of a mod of a mod - Carthage's coming out Party

Webba's Avatar Semisalis

Default A mod of a mod of a mod - Carthage's coming out Party

Played on XGM 5.7.21 with XC, ET and a special punic mod by me
    Hard/Medium on Alex.exe

It seems there is a renewed interest in all things Carthaginian at the XGM forums. The Senate mod, the Post Marian project and some excellent AAR's have all been recently highlighting this faction and while previously I had no interest in the unwarlike Punics I found this enthusiasm infectious.

So when I finished up my GCS campaign I decided that there would be no faction better to play next than Carthage and no better way to play them but to do my first AAR but to my disappointment their armies weren't to my taste at all. The main barracks tree almost exclusively produced Carthaginian merchants with toy swords leaving the auxiliary barracks to do all the real work and the elite cavalry was wearing leather rugby caps with feathers sticking out of them.

Now many people would say to me at this point, "Well, you unwashed barbarian, why don't you go and play a faction big on the pointy sticks and leave the womanly merchants to be played by real men like us?" but it occurred to me that I don't think there's anything wrong with Carthage's roster of African, Iberian and Greek mercenary and auxiliary forces - just that the presentation of said disparate forces could be better done.

And so as one real, lazy man sets out to re imagine a faction several imaginary, hard working men set out to build an empire.

Act 1
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I am but a humble scribe in the service of the republic. My name, and indeed my life, is unimportant. My only claim to significance is this left hand of mine that writes about the deeds of great men and the history of my people. Of warriors, statesmen and leaders, the cowardly and the brave, the fool and the wise man, the noble and the treacherous. It is a tale not to be missed!

280bc In an attempt to secure our borders and increase our military presence in Iberia the Senate has ordered the subjugation of surrounding Iberian tribes. An army lays siege to the village of Arsa.

In that same year my master, Hanno, returns from Sicily at the request of the Senate. I have never seen my lord so furious as he was today as we disembarked from the ships just south of Hadrumetum. Many times he has publicly stated the danger of the Romans yet he has no choice in this matter but to leave Lilybaeum practically undefended. He is required to bring the rebellious peoples of Northern Africa under Carthaginian rule. Only then, they say, will the army return to Sicily. We march hard for the nearest rebel settlement. I am grateful my master provides a carriage for men such as me, unsuited to both walking or riding any great distance!

Carthage is a far flung empire and for all our wealth we do not need to look hard to be reminded that the lands we rule once belonged to other people. Even Settlements founded or long governed by our people show well the legacy of those that came before.

For the most part Carthaginian colonies are small and scattered. It is there that our Generals go when they are desperate to recruit soldiers. Why must they be desperate to turn to their own people for defence? When a militia is composed of men such as I you can well imagine the reluctance of our masters to command them!

Yet for all that we are a rich people and masters of our world. If there is need of fighting then we have the Libyans and Numidians,

the Iberians

and even the Greeks can be kept satisfied with enough coin.

Led by proper Carthaginian officers these men are the equal of any army in the world!

The old men of the Senate prove they are not blind to the threat of Rome but if just watching them was enough to keep the Romans at bay my master would be a happier man!

It is hoped that a show of force at Aleria will convince the Romans to direct their attention elsewhere. Certainly should they manage to land troops on the island the Garrison would be overwhelmed.

Construction projects throughout the empire take the lion's share of funding. There will be few new recruits for any army foolish enough to suffer losses.

As always Carthage looks to trade to resolve disputes. Perhaps a steady supply of goods will keep the Italian peninsular docile. I take a moment of pride in the though that it is my own brother who negotiated the deal but I know that with this success it will be many years before I see him again. He has been sent further east to deal with the Macedonians.

Word comes from Carthago Nova that Celtic tribes in the north of Iberia have agreed to an alliance. My master has confided in me that he believes it to be short lived.

279bc and the siege of Arsa. A glorious victory celebrated by a collection of Artworks displayed at the Trophet of Carthage.

Scenes from the Siege of Arsa

Arsa will one day be the capital of a new Carthaginian province. For now it is a supply of slaves, soldiers and raw materials.

One can never have too many trading partners. More barbarians are convinced to sample our refined wares.

We are all heartily sick of travelling through the desert so it is a relief to finally be at our destination, even if it is a sun baked hole in the ground.

My lord is more angry than I have ever seen him and I have been with him since I was a small child. That the senate could consider these few brigands more of a threat than the might of Rome simply because a bit of water separates them from the latter is astonishing to consider and that the entire army has been sent here to destroy a force less that 1/10 its number is even more so. With fury and contempt Hanno destroys the brigands using but his cavalry forces.

This scraggly dust heap of a town we have conquered has some military facilities that can be put to use. To properly train the locals however will require dedicated Carthaginian barracks.

The army will resupply here before moving west into the Numidian kingdoms. Perhaps they will provide justification for our continued presence in this forsaken desert. I fear my master's anger is shortening his life. At the battles end today I noticed for the first time that he is an old man now. Why have I never seen this before today?

I think that about does it for a first instalment. I'm keen to hear comments and criticism and I'll be handing out bonus points for anyone who can spot the changes I've made to the faction. There's quite a few in today's post but more to come. Hope you've enjoyed it!
    Last edited by Webba; August 20, 2008 at 02:10 AM.

Primicerius

Default Re: A mod of a mod of a mod - Carthage's coming out Party

Very well done, I like it. What are the extent of your "punic changes"?

Webba's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Scutarii View Post
    Very well done, I like it. What are the extent of your "punic changes"?
    Thanks for the compliment Scutarii, it's nice to hear on a first effort.
    You're supposed to spot the changes for yourself you know, it makes it too easy if I just tell you.

I haven't changed anything too drastic; it is still the same faction with the same units (a couple of additions). The main change is rearranging the way it recruits those units to better represent Carthage's unique situation of having a military system designed around the use of mercenaries and auxiliaries.

If you're interested in seeing it for yourself keep an eye on the XC thread, CeaserVincens has given me permission to share the files there.
    A mod of a mod of a mod - My Carthage AAR

Primicerius

Interesting. I'll have to be observant to catch the changes. And I may look them up in the XC thread, haven't checked XC out in a while.

This is nice. Not only because we rarley see a Carthaginian aar, but because of the depth you add to it. Well done and I hope to see more.

Hopit's Avatar Praepositus

I know now some of your changes....

Quote Originally Posted by SgtScooter View Post
    If you went to the Skyrim forums you'll see a lot posts about how it's somehow been watered down and hampered by money men making the decisions. Fact is, it's a great game and people still complain. It's the same thing as the TW franchise.

Great AAR, Webba. I'll have to keep a watch on this.

Expand your borders, a mod based on XGM 5.

Webba's Avatar Semisalis

Thanks for all the comments so far, without further mucking about here is

Act 2
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    A man has won the begrudging respect of my lord and has joined his noble family. It is hoped he will not bring disgrace on them in his new post as provincial governor. News of the wedding has barely lifted my master's mood; his rage simmers just below the surface for all to see.

The worst news has arrived this night. 2 hours ago messengers from Carthago brought word that Aktae, wife of Hanno, has departed from this world. My master now walks among the men inspecting their preparations and none dare look upon his face. He is calm now, and cold and I pity the enemy who would stand against him.

At dawn today, as we were departing the town more messengers arrived brining news from our spies in the Roman cities. It seems that Rome is moving to unite the peninsular. This news was received with the same detached calm my master exhibits towards all things now. Certainly he was not surprised by it.

Today a distraction from the tedium of travel. We have been met by a force of Numidians demanding to know what business Carthage has in their lands. Claiming that we simple wish to travel to our settlements on the coast and from there to Iberia my master has secured passage through these lands. We should be safely inside their own city before the Numidians realise his deception. This was not the action of an honourable man but who would criticise him now?

The senate has deemed their newly forged alliance with the northern barbarians to be more important than the good will of the Iberians. No doubt they will not forget this insult.

The year 277bc has seen an unprecedented level of development right across the empire. There is not a city or village that has not begun some new civic project.

When I was a child I had thought that the north of Iberia was the most remote and barbaric place on earth. Imagine my surprise to learn that further north and east lived even more barbaric peoples! These peoples have surprised me again today, it seems they wish to be our friends!

More easily understood is the Macedonian alliance. Clearly they see the threat of Rome too.

We have laid siege to the city of Cirta. The Numidian king himself is trapped within its walls and fears to fight us. It will not be long before we tear down his palace around him.

As I write this the camp is in great turmoil! The Numidian army we though to have left at their border must have been following us this whole time. They have returned and the city marches out to join them in battle against us! There is no time for writing now, the enemy has come!

Scenes from the battle at Cirta

The Numidians did not care to stand and fight. When their leaders fell they ran and those that made it back to the city were few. The siege continues but those within the walls must have lost all hope now.

A man with the skills to be master of many joins my lord's family. This is an opportunity for another province of the empire to be wisely governed.

Tragedy has befallen us! The great man, my master of more than twenty years, Hanno the Mighty has gone to join his beloved. My lord is dead! Who now will lead the armies of Carthage to victory? Who will keep us safe from the Romans?

His commanders will take this city in his name and it shall be recorded as his final conquest. It remains to be seen who will lead us, or what will happen, after that.

And there you have it. In related news this mod is available for download in the XC thread for anyone who is interested. As always I'm happy to get feedback, comments, suggestions and ideas.

Primicerius

Excellent! This is a great AAR, a mix of straight campaign telling and story, as you tell it from the eyes of a 'subordinate'.

I suggest you bull doze Iberia as soon as possible. It looks like you like you have enough time to do this with Rome pinned down on both sides of Italy. Not to mention those Iberians can be very leathal if you let them grow too strong.

Webba's Avatar Semisalis

Just between us, and don't tell my hapless narrator this, bulldozing Iberia is the plan. Rome is taking an unusually long time to get its act together on the peninsular so I feel pretty safe taking all my forces west.

Primicerius

Thats my usual plan as Carthage. Pull all forces to Iberia, maybe a small army to defend Corsica+Sardinia if I can afford it, but sometimes I pull out of Sicily and Corsica/Sardinia altogether. Its worth it to take all of Africa and Iberia.

Seconded Scutarii, Have you moved the Auxiallary buildings?
    and can we see some senate missions, please

Webba, I like your AAR. Good writing, enough pics. Subscribed.
    Looking forward to a nice and bloody Punic war .

Webba's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by stormer View Post
    Seconded Scutarii, Have you moved the Auxiallary buildings?
    and can we see some senate missions, please
    You are almost right, I have done something to the Auxillary buildings but 'moved' isn't quite the right word

You can't see any senate missions because I'm not the one who's modding that feature. You'd be thinking of Zarax's Carthage and Rome senate project that I understand is soon going to be a part of XGM in the near future. It's modding a different part of the game though so it will be compatible with what I'm doing and I'm very much looking forward to playing it.

you have made "new building"

If you went to the Skyrim forums you'll see a lot posts about how it's somehow been watered down and hampered by money men making the decisions. Fact is, it's a great game and people still complain. It's the same thing as the TW franchise.

Webba's Avatar Semisalis

Nope, sorry, no new buildings there. Just the normal Extended Cultures ones.
    I've actually done something a little the opposite of that

I haven't saw anything "punic" buildings....

Primicerius

Unless I'm completely missing something, you're recruiting Civic units directly from the Colonies, while auxiliaries and elephants are from the barracks.

Webba's Avatar Semisalis

Well done Scutarii, you have it correct! While there is a bunch of other little stuff as well those are the main changes I wanted to make. It's been a hectic day today so I'll save the next instalment for tomorrow I think.

@Hopit,
    Punic is just another word that means Carthaginian. Since I have modified the Carthaginian faction and Punic is shorter and easier to write I've called it a Punic mod.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast