Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Wall and Night's Watch

Double A's Avatar person man

Default The Wall and Night's Watch

Will the Wall and Night's Watch be represented in this one or a latter expansion? (Note: I haven't actually read the books. I just saw this in someone's sig, clicked on the link, and thought it looked cool. Then I read a bunch of stuff on it on Wikipedia, (Who doesn't do that?) but it looked really good so I'm probably gonna go to a book store and buy the first book)
    Jon had taken Donal and Benjen’s advice to heart: Sam may be fat and pathetic, but he is still a member of the watch, and one of the few black brothers who isn't a rapist or thief. (out of context, this sounds ridiculously racist)
    super awesome music thing | political profile
    GSTK member - Join today! (We're restarting. Again.)

Default Re: The Wall and Night's Watch

Yes, if possible, the wall and the Nights Watch faction will appear in a later version of the mod. I have some creative solutions to the whole "wall" thing bubling in my mind right now...
    Right now, we are trying to consolodate all the features that are crucial to the games spirit and get em out to you all.

BTW, I hope you enjoy your new reading list. Honestly though, you will never put his books down and will wonder how you survived until now without them.

Cheers

In the game of thrones, you either win or you die.
    Westeros: Total War Music & Sound Design
    Westeros: Total War Skinning

Seriously get these books... seriously. And don't read too much on Wikipedia, you'll spoil it!

Yes this is my favorite series. Read and enjoy

To answer BattleDrumz's question: Rick Riordan, D. J. MacHale, Lian Hearn, and Gary Lawson (lol).
    Jon had taken Donal and Benjen’s advice to heart: Sam may be fat and pathetic, but he is still a member of the watch, and one of the few black brothers who isn't a rapist or thief. (out of context, this sounds ridiculously racist)

TheKingSlayer's Avatar Tiro

Might I also suggest "The Prince of Nothing" by R. Scot Bakker. The series is almost as good as ASOIF. IMO anyway.
    Proud Team member of Westeros: Total War
    Visit us at: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=721
    We..Are...PENN STATE!!!
    Semper Fi. Smashing Islamic Extremism in all forms.

"You know nothing, Jon Snow."

Hmmmm. I've heard that too. I might have to start that series while waiting for Martin to finish.

Dux's Avatar Warden of Westeros
    Gaming Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by TheKingSlayer View Post
    Might I also suggest "The Prince of Nothing" by R. Scot Bakker. The series is almost as good as ASOIF. IMO anyway.
    i've heard from this serie but it is not translated to dutch (I life in holland) May be i can find the english version in local book stores but i'm not sure.

can you guys recommand me other writers? I need something to do before the next ASoIaF comes out.

I hope the nightwatch and Jon will be included in one of the versions.

hmmm. well robert jordan was good, but he died and his series is being finished by someone else. Raymond e fesit is good as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowKiller2000 View Post
    hmmm. well robert jordan was good, but he died and his series is being finished by someone else. Raymond e fesit is good as well.
    I don't agree with first statement. I 've read first Wheel of time book, and i disliked pretty much everything in it (main character is a simple villager of mysterious origins, his village is attacked... | lack of: violence, blood, sex... | quotes in queer and ugly languages | and so on)
    I can't understand why he is so popular.

because he's created a very comprehensive world, gverilec...

I'd recommend any David Gemmell books. Best heroic fantasy author ever. My particular favourites are

Waylander
    Hero in the Shadows
    The Hawk Eternal
    Legend (his original book)

"Five had been his brothers. Oswell Whent and Jon Darry. Lewyn Martell, a prince of Dorne. The White Bull, Gerold Hightower. Ser Arthur Dayne, Sword of the Morning. And beside them, crowned in mist and grief with his long hair streaming behind him, rode Rhaegar Targaryen, Prince of Dragonstone and rightful heir to the Iron Throne."

I see someone mentioned Feist... I didn't like his work too much, but that's just me. A bit... simple for my tastes. Then again I didn't read his comprehensive works.

Gaming Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by gverilec View Post
    I don't agree with first statement. I 've read first Wheel of time book, and i disliked pretty much everything in it (main character is a simple villager of mysterious origins, his village is attacked... | lack of: violence, blood, sex... | quotes in queer and ugly languages | and so on)
    Who do you recommand then?

@Strombringer: I'll try that one

@Deathshroud: Ok, who do you recommand then?

I recommend Bernard Cornwell. His books are pure history, I' ve read all three Grail Quest books, and they are great (hundred years war...). Im reading his Saxon Chronicles now and they are also great. Check it out on amazon if you are interested.

And by the way I agree about Gemmell, he is great. My favourites are Rigante books, but I haven't liked jerusalem man much. Drenai, Rigante, Stones of Power (before Jerusalem man), Hawk queen and his historical fiction books are great if you like action.
    Last edited by gverilec; August 21, 2008 at 04:21 PM.

Also, if Glen Cook's "The Black Company" was incredible.

Also try Guy Gavriel Kay if you're interested in the Byzantine empire. Sailing to Sarantium is a fantastic book as well.

If you're interested in some light reading, but still good, I suggest RA Salvatore's the Dark Elf trilogy. Drizzt Do'Urden is one of my favorite characters of all time.
    We..Are...PENN STATE!!!

By all means give Feist a try, you might like him. I was personally expecting something more akin to GRRM, but Feist just isn't as gritty I guess you could say. I also only read about 3 of Feist's books, so again I don't have a full picture of his works.

Honestly I haven't read a lot of high fantasy, so I can't make a whole lot of suggestions in that area. Michael Crichton's Time Line is pretty good, a nice blend of medieval history with modern science (if you're into Crichton, that is).

A good non-fantasy book to read is Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, but that's more sci-fi so some of you might not like it.

A good friend of mine also just suggested to me The Chronicles of Amber series by Roger Zelazny, so I'll give that a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    i've heard from this serie but it is not translated to dutch (I life in holland) May be i can find the english version in local book stores but i'm not sure.

can you guys recommand me other writers? I need something to do before the next ASoIaF comes out.

I hope the nightwatch and Jon will be included in one of the versions.

Dux, if you're proficient in reading English, you can order Prince of Nothing on amazon. Probably even get it used for a screaming deal.
    We..Are...PENN STATE!!!

Gaming Emeritus

thank you guys I would have given you rep if i could

I will check of any of these books you've mentioned are translated to dutch With a little luck i'll find at least 3 of them. If i'm not so lucky then i'll just order the English versions on amazon

Im gonna have to agree with the kingslayer, R A Salvatore has some great books out there. The Drak Elf Trilogy is good, and well as the crystal shard books, and his others covering Drizzt.
    Last edited by ShadowKiller2000; August 22, 2008 at 10:16 AM. Reason: spelling :)

Quote Originally Posted by gverilec View Post
    :hmmm:

You would probably like Tales of the Otori then...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast