Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Watchmen

jsktrogdor's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: The Watchmen

Quote Originally Posted by MaximiIian View Post
    Or just make it really long. Like, 3 or 4 hours.

Anyone who complains that such length is "too long" needs to STFU and GTFO to see the Lord of the Rings trilogy, in order to realize how epic and great the longest of movies tend to be.
    Its difficult to draw movies longer than the 2 hour mark because few do intermissions these days and its uncomfortable to sit in a seat for longer than that. I do hope its long though, but I dont think "STFU" and "GTFO" are in order though.

Dead*Man*Wilson's Avatar Campidoctor

I've read the novel years ago. I'm still somewhat ambivalent as to how this may turn out. I just hop it isn't a complete bust like the Spirit.

Lord Consul's Avatar Armchair intellectual

Quote Originally Posted by Dead*Man*Wilson View Post
    From Hell was alright
    From hell was a complete blunder. It had nothing to do with Moore's graphic novel. They butchered both the characters and the story.
    Proud Client of Obi Wan Asterix

gambit's Avatar Gorak

Quote Originally Posted by Dead*Man*Wilson View Post
    I've read the novel years ago. I'm still somewhat ambivalent as to how this may turn out. I just hop it isn't a complete bust like the Spirit.
    The Spirit was pretty dissapointing. I never read it, so I cant blame myself for not knowing what to expect but all the trailers and commercials really hyped it up to be a kind of awesome action movie with some kind of cliche hero who gets all the girls. With Samuel Jackson.

Instead I got some kind of corny, extremely quirky and light hearted movie with over the top comic action where people can take sledgehammers to the face and shrug it off. With Samuel Jackson.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter S. Thompson
    You better take care of me, Lord. If you dont.. you're gonna have me on your hands

MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Consul View Post
    From hell was a complete blunder. It had nothing to do with Moore's graphic novel. They butchered both the characters and the story.
    It was still an alright movie. You don't need to ing jump at someone's throat just because they liked a movie you didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by jsktrogdor View Post
    but I dont think "STFU" and "GTFO" are in order though.
    Maybe I was a bit harsh on that. But it does really irritate me when people whine about movies being "too long". It just seems really impatient of them to say such things.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The change at the end is definitely NOT Ozymandias' destruction of New York. Check the new trailer and keep your eyes open for a massive alien

This one?

(btw, if you havnt read the book this trailer explains whats going on better but gives some things away)

Lord Consul's Avatar Armchair intellectual

Quote Originally Posted by MaximiIian View Post
    It was still an alright movie. You don't need to ing jump at someone's throat just because they liked a movie you didn't.
    Calm down, Maximilian. I didn't jump at anyone's throat. I just said that the film was crap and that it butchered the comic's plot. That's all.
    Proud Client of Obi Wan Asterix

vizi's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Under 3 weeks til the movie come out, right? Hope it is good. The trailers make it seem decent, but you know trailers...

gambit's Avatar Gorak

I've got a good feeling about this movie. It also seems nearly impossible to screw up since, by what theyve shown, they're basically doing an exact panel by panel copy. All they need to do is read the book.

Then again, it still surprises me what things people can screw up.
    You better take care of me, Lord. If you dont.. you're gonna have me on your hands

From Hell despite butchering the graphic novel was still an entertaining movie on its own. Watchman though is different, no comic has been as important in past 30 years as this book. From some reason I cant imagine they will get Rorschach right...I mean christ this is Hollywood after all can you imagine them doing a good job for a character who is basically Charles Branson meets George Bush with a mask on who was right about wmds? I mean hell movies cant even get Wolverine right, one doesnt *feel* Wolverine in the xmen movie same with Magneto who came off as just a two bit villain in the movies.

Besides that I dont think any movie can fully show the character or even Manhattan without the diary entries or thought blurps of the graphic novel and in the end I think the limitation of film is what is going to make the movie a disappointment. I doubt the motivation of Manhattan or Rorschach can accurately be shown in a 2hr movie.

They would have to condense some panels of their motivations into some pretty powerful and important scenes to help people understand the characters. Hopefully it won't be a movie that if you didn't read the comic, you will be halfway lost. I hate it when they do that, even on accident. A movie needs to be a standalone. Which is hard if they cater to fanboys. No idea if they have been doing that.

I mean if it turns out like that. I will understand what is going on. Having read the Watchmen. But I will still be annoyed, and people will leave confused as hell.

God only knows how they will manage Rorschach and Manhattan, let alone Comedian...who knows how important they will even make him in the movie...

Kiljan Arslan's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Consul View Post
    Never was that in to from hell the book so never saw the film, although if it sucked it explains why Alan Moore is really negative against hollywood, I mean they totally butchered League (I saw it on FX and I was just appalled), V for vendetta they changed from a battle between Anarchism and Fascism inot a battle between Liberalism and Fascism and totally discarded the fact that it took place in an alternate reality. (thats what gives me some hope for this considering their keeping it in 1985 with nixon as pres).
    according to exarch I am like
    Quote Originally Posted by Exarch View Post
    sure, the way fred phelps finds christianity too optimistic?

Simple truths
    Did you know being born into wealth or marrying into wealth really shows you never did anything to earn it?
    btw having a sig telling people not to report you is hilarious.

gambit's Avatar Gorak

I wonder if they're gonna keep the little side story going on of the boy sitting near the news stand, reading the comic about the guy lost at sea, trying to get home to fight those pirates.

That was really dark and it's definitely something I'd like to see on video. Imagine him grabbing the seagull out of the air and tearing into it like a rabid beast, or what he does to everyone when he finally gets back home.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit View Post
    I wonder if they're gonna keep the little side story going on of the boy sitting near the news stand, reading the comic about the guy lost at sea, trying to get home to fight those pirates.

That was really dark and it's definitely something I'd like to see on video. Imagine him grabbing the seagull out of the air and tearing into it like a rabid beast, or what he does to everyone when he finally gets back home.
    Ive heard somewhere (it might of been here) that they are shooting that and it will be in the dvd or something, hard to remember.

Kiljan Arslan's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit View Post

Its going to be an extra you can purchase for ten bucks I read.
    according to exarch I am like
    Quote Originally Posted by Exarch View Post
    sure, the way fred phelps finds christianity too optimistic?

Simple truths
    Did you know being born into wealth or marrying into wealth really shows you never did anything to earn it?
    btw having a sig telling people not to report you is hilarious.

gambit's Avatar Gorak

It will be a DVD Extra - 'Tales of the Black Freighter'. They will appear in the movie a bit, though. Also,
    They may change the ending...

An earlier script:

And if you have never read the comic....DO NOT READ THIS SPOOOOOILER

Rorcharch didn't die. This was in an aborted effort to make the movie in the 90's I think... I hope they don't change the ending....

And if you were dumb and read the spoiler, do not complain to me about ruining anything for you.

Quote Originally Posted by vizigothe View Post
    An earlier script:

And if you have never read the comic....DO NOT READ THIS SPOOOOOILER

Rorcharch didn't die. This was in an aborted effort to make the movie in the 90's I think... I hope they don't change the ending....

And if you were dumb and read the spoiler, do not complain to me about ruining anything for you.
    Yeah things like that worry me, if the ending sequence isnt true to the book then Ill buy a copy of it on DVD and then melt it in protest