Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lahkmid Arabs & Ghassanid Auxiliaries

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

Default Lahkmid Arabs & Ghassanid Auxiliaries

OK,

I have redone both the Ghassanids and the Lahkmids.

First the Ghassanids:

This man is armed with a roman spangehelm helmet, scale armour hide covered shield and a spear.

This figure is an auxiliary archer. He has a roman helmet, with bow and sword.

This figure is a Ghassanid Nobleman. He is armed with bow and sword.

The lahkmids:

This figure represents a jund levy. These guys would be recruited form the local populace when things are pretty tough. Armed with a long spear and shield.

This figure is jund. He is better trained and armed than your levy. His helmet is of sassanid origin. Also armed with long spear and shield.

This figure is a jund mudajjajun or swordsman. He has a mail coif and mail armour.

This is a maqali' or slinger.

This figure is a rumat or archer. He has a sassanid scabbard and sword.

Nomad Cavalry. He is armed with bow and spear. He is normally recruited from the neighbouring tribes

This figure is a Ar-raha'in, which literally means "hostage". These men are relatives of tribal sheikhs who are sent as goodwill to the King. These troops are amred with bow and spear.

This figure is a Dawsar. These troops are the fiercest, lowest and most vile troops the King can field which makes them pretty damn good. They are armed with bow and spear.

This figure is a Ashahib. These troop sare of lessrer nobility and familly members not in line for the throne. They are a loyal and effetive fighting force. They are armed with bow and sword.

This figure is a Al-wada'i3 which literally means "appointed men". These are sent to the King from the Persian King every year to provide assistance in the wars that the Lahkmid waged. They are a very effective if limited fighting force.

This figure is the Asana'i3. These troops are the immediate bodyguard of the King and his immediate line. They are fierce and loyal.

You will notice that the Lahkmids are not too disimiliar to their Sassanid allies. This is because the Lahkmids were armed and equipped from Sassanid armouries.

Finally, the following figure is a mercenary camel raider. He could be a Syrian or Palmyran trader looking for a master to serve to gain some cash. He is armed with a bow and sword.

I would like to thank Gen.james.Wolfe for his assistance.

Cheers
    Last edited by julianus heraclius; September 09, 2008 at 04:53 PM.

Default Re: Ghassanid Auxiliaries

I would say i prefer number 2 i do like number 1 but number 2 looks more arabish (i know not a word couldn't think of how to describe it!), don't take offence by this but number 3 looks like hes wearing a dress

Laetus

I agree with him the second one just looks badass and will scare the opposing amy easily

Very nice
    i would prefer number 2 like others

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

No. 2 for me , too.

Yeah, No. 2, though No. 1 is not bad.

Naughteous Maximus's Avatar Tiro

Icon14 Re: Ghassanid Auxiliaries

Hello JH, I also like the one in the middle. He looks very much like the one in the Osprey book I was looking at the other day.

NM

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

Osprey Men-at-Arms Series No 146: 'The Roman Army from the Age of Julianus Heraclius' ???

Gen.jamesWolfe's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmc View Post
    I would say i prefer number 2 i do like number 1 but number 2 looks more arabish (i know not a word couldn't think of how to describe it!), don't take offence by this but number 3 looks like hes wearing a dress
    this is incredibally good. I'll take either 2 or 3. and the "sash" is called a "rida' ", which means "cloak" or "cape". and he is supposed to look like that. the "skirt" is called an izar. both are still worn for hajj mind you.

and the dress tells me he's a nomad auxiliary; he came from one of the many nomad tribes that existed in the roman-syrian frontier that payed homage to the ghassanid tribes. Ameanus mercellenus talks about them in some detail. I'm repping JH for this.

@JH: length don't matter-just shape

Quote Originally Posted by SeniorBatavianHorse View Post
    Osprey Men-at-Arms Series No 146: 'The Roman Army from the Age of Julianus Heraclius' ???
    apperently he is. but JH got his info from elsewhere.
    is there something wrong with that book? (i haven't seen t, so do help)

EDIT: oh, I see.
    Last edited by Gen.jamesWolfe; August 17, 2008 at 11:39 AM.
    I haz a culler!! (really, who gives a darn? its totally meaningless, and it doesn't really accurately reflect who I am)

Indefinitely Banned

Number 3. It's the perfect combo.

Number 1 doesn't look arabian enough.

Great work.

Default Re: Lahkmid Arabs & Ghassanid Auxiliaries

Firts post updated.

Love the new units.

Haha, awesome.
    A big THANKS to all Total War modders

Visitor13 came to TWC for the wafers

Sorry if it has already been aswered before but how manys factions did you reskin entirely ??

You did a great job, i have a clean install of RTW only waiting for the new Imperium Julianorum

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah View Post
    Sorry if it has already been aswered before but how manys factions did you reskin entirely ??

You did a great job, i have a clean install of RTW only waiting for the new Imperium Julianorum
    he reskinned 4 IIRC: the two roman ones, the lakhmids, and the sassanids.:hmmm:
    I haz a culler!! (really, who gives a darn? its totally meaningless, and it doesn't really accurately reflect who I am)

looking good!

Gäiten's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Gen.jamesWolfe View Post
    he reskinned 4 IIRC: the two roman ones, the lakhmids, and the sassanids.:hmmm:
    You will love them

Invasio Barbarorum: Ruina Roma Development Leader - Art made by Joar -Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gäiten View Post
    You will love them
    I know I will.

If the Arabs and romans look so good, I cannot imagine the sassanids-especially the savaran.

OK, I've updated the first post with cavalry. This now completes the Ghassanids and Lahkmids.

Gäiten's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Very well done!

Invasio Barbarorum: Ruina Roma Development Leader - Art made by Joar -Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast