Thread: a little help needed for learning.

Gen.jamesWolfe's Avatar Vicarius

Default a little help needed for learning.

Hi,

Seeing that this is the modding tutorials and resources page, I have a few questions (I'm still quite new to modding, so bear with me):

1-anyone have an idiot's tutorial on how to model from scratch? (I got G-max, but since its like 3ds, it should do), or a thread on the same subject, or is willing to teach this dull-wit? (including mlding the skin to fit round the model). animation making is not necessary, but a bonus.

2-wierd Q: are there spare parts for models here? hats, weapons, the works? *feels stupid*

I ask hee since i cn't find any thrads to show me the way-and i'm really eager to model..
    I haz a culler!! (really, who gives a darn? its totally meaningless, and it doesn't really accurately reflect who I am)

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

Default Re: a little help needed for learning.

You should look in this forum:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=273

That's where the tutorials are largely available. In the Index of Tutorials, you should find some concerning modeling. Also, in the Skinning/Modeling section of the Mod Workshop you'll find a couple people have started working towards model tutorials. I think Alletun's Unit Makers Tome of Knowledge is probably the best modeling tutorial available at this time, so look into that.

As far as extra swords and such, do you mean weapons people have modeled and share freely, or referring to how the modeling equipments work? The former you should look in the Released Mods sub-forum of Mod Threads forum and see if you can find any model packages. Can also look for teams in the Hosted Modifications sub-forums who allow their work to be used as open source, and then use those. If you mean the latter, it's my impression that weapons and other equipment are part of the model, but in a different way than an arm is.

Cheers,
    Augustus

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

You need to say whether you're interested in RTW or MTW2, unit making is significantly different between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    You need to say whether you're interested in RTW or MTW2, unit making is significantly different between the two.

its RTW. and as for spare parts, i was referring to both the model, and how the animation works.

thanks all. I'll check them out!

EDIT: where is Alletun's guide? I can't seem to find it.
    Last edited by Gen.jamesWolfe; August 16, 2008 at 09:24 PM.
    I haz a culler!! (really, who gives a darn? its totally meaningless, and it doesn't really accurately reflect who I am)

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

EDIT: where is Alletun's guide? I can't seem to find it.
    I think that's for MTW2.

For RTW modeling see here, there's number of tutorials that cover just about all the basics, also check the tags at the bottom of each page for links.

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

There's also a nicely organized thread that lists tutorials for RTW. Seen here:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=59283

Scroll down to the Aesthetics portion, and you'll find some nice tutorials on the art parts of RTW, including a modeling tutorial by Hoggy.

Cheers,
    Augustus

thanks. now to fan out from those threads