Thread: Legio Palantae vs. Comitatenses

Default Legio Palantae vs. Comitatenses

Hey,

Just wondering what's up. I notice that the Palantae are supposedly "elite", or whatever, but their missile attack is actually lower than that of the Comitatenses. I assume this is due to them using Plumbatarii darts...

Do they have more ammunition than normal legionaries? Are they more effective, or something?

Problem is, I have no way to judge them on my enemies, because they both equally make complete mincemeat of the Gothic **** I am forced to fight. The 4 damage (?) attack value difference doesn't seem to impact the amount of ill-trained levies killed in each volley.

So, I guess what I am trying to say is, which one is more dependable? Which should I use in combat?

Game of the Fates
    Mod of the week on hold -- I've played nearly every RTW mod out there.
    BOYCOTT THE USE OF SMILEYS! (Okay, just once)
    Antiochos VII...last true scion of the Seleucid dynasty...rest in peace, son of Hellas.
    I've returned--please forgive my long absence.

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

Default Re: Legio Palantae vs. Comitatenses

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cursed View Post
    Hey,

Just wondering what's up. I notice that the Palantae are supposedly "elite", or whatever, but their missile attack is actually lower than that of the Comitatenses. I assume this is due to them using Plumbatarii darts...

Do they have more ammunition than normal legionaries? Are they more effective, or something?

Problem is, I have no way to judge them on my enemies, because they both equally make complete mincemeat of the Gothic **** I am forced to fight. The 4 damage (?) attack value difference doesn't seem to impact the amount of ill-trained levies killed in each volley.

So, I guess what I am trying to say is, which one is more dependable? Which should I use in combat?
    From my memory, the spiculum has a higher attack rating than the darts, but they have a longer missle range.

Palatinae troops generally have better morale than comitatensis of limitanei troops so from that point of view have more staying power. Though of course they are more expensive to train and maintain and take longer to recruit, so take good care of them.

Default Re: Legio Palantae vs. Comitatenses

Hmmm...

Kay, thanks.

Game of the Fates
    Mod of the week on hold -- I've played nearly every RTW mod out there.
    BOYCOTT THE USE OF SMILEYS! (Okay, just once)
    Antiochos VII...last true scion of the Seleucid dynasty...rest in peace, son of Hellas.
    I've returned--please forgive my long absence.