Thread: Gotta be the best Iberia-Rome-Carthage mod

Default Gotta be the best Iberia-Rome-Carthage mod

Currently playing a provincial campaign with Kart-Hadast/Carthage, and in no other mod, not even XGM, have I had such ease of use with elephant units. They are also so cheap, same upkeep as a phalanx unit. In vanilla, EB, XGM, etc, elephants are so expensive usually in the thousands. The elephants made the mod so fun.

I used the "arcade" mod to get the ITW v1.5 gameplay, because the "slower" combat system was a bit overcompensated. Think EB's "slow" combat speed should be the ceiling (or the floor) of realism-compensation, and the unmodded ITW Gold Edition went a bit too slow. When it takes more than 5 minutes for (many) heavy calvary + (many) infantry to kill one unit of slingers and one units of light cavalry fighting with knives in the city square, it's a bit exaggerated.

I also prefer the missile projectiles system in v1.5, with slingers and javelins being very effective. That's also because I like slingers and archers and javelins, and this mod has more javelin ammo than any other mod.

Haven't yet tried the Iberian factions in the ITW:Gold Edition. Did play the Turdetani in v1.5 and it was extremely fun. First finishing the Kart-Hadast campaign. And, really, even the Alps dividing the land between Southern Gaul and Italy is so well portrayed, and a land invasion of Italy in this mod has to go through the high pass of the Alps just like Hannibal did. Really well done, and I am glad that I am doing the Kart-Hadast campaign with this mod.

What's great about ITW is that the map area is a smaller section of the original map, with much greater local detail, so each faction feels like the very center of the picture. That the land trade income has been increased gives more incentive to build roads. Also, the factions' temples have been simplified to just two: law+armory temple and population growth temple. It makes gameplay very fast and efficient.

The time in between turns is also very fast. There are an abundant variety of mercenaries; the building tree is kept simple yet each faction has a complete roster (there are no "Dacia" factions like in vanilla). Incredible detail with different species of horses and really like and appreciate it. The shield pattern of the Celti-Iberians are amazing. Overall the feel of the mod is very detailed and fun on gameplay, and very fast and efficient at the same time. That's not something possible with mods that have the map as the whole "known world". But ITW's map goes from the Adriatic to the Strait of Gibraltar, and is very high on both criterias (with the "arcade mod", or v1.5 gameplay).
    Last edited by ThePianist; August 14, 2008 at 02:55 AM.

Athenogoras's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Gotta be the best Iberia-Rome-Carthage mod

Impressive new battlesystem! The overall low morale(max 6 for infantry I think) really gives the battles a certain dynamic. I was really surprised when a unit of triarii routed after some javelins in the back. Killing the general or the supplywagon is really important.
    You said that you wanted to make bigger difference(speed, stamina) between heavy and light infantry. How did you do that?