Thread: The man from Bayeux - England AAR

Jingles's Avatar Praefectus

Default The man from Bayeux - England AAR

....Which can be found here! Enjoy!

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Default Re: The man from Bayeux - England AAR

Sounds more than only interesting ... great idea, JB, and i'll read it for sure

Will soon be added to the stickied Chiv AAR list/thread.
    Which version do you apply?
    Last edited by DaVinci; August 13, 2008 at 06:51 PM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

I'm using 0.98.07, Not perfectly stable, I know, but I was itching to start an AAR once I saw all the new Norman units.

Patrician Artifex

Just added to the list.

Hastings Battle Chapter I: Great work so far

Comment: Eventually i would give also a little intro of the background of Saxon-England, what recently happened, ie. why Harold was in a clear disadvantage at Hastings (forced march of his army back from a big won battle in the north ... caused tired Saxons, a lot men of his army weren't around, no (heavy) cavalry in the Saxon army), why William had the plan/motivation to conquer England, etc. ... but might be too much of historical background.
    Will you still show, that Harold was slain there?
    Last edited by DaVinci; August 14, 2008 at 08:49 AM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Patrician Artifex

Btw., here is a wip Norman MenAtArms (model/skin shall get still a few improvements, but the shield design is great, isn't it?)

Wow! Its just like the chap with the dragon shield at the Bayeux museum... Can't wait to play with those guys!

As to the background on the situation surrounding Hastings, I'm planning to throw lots of that into the next update as part of the Author's note, as the next part of the AAR skips ahead about 7 or 8 years, to when Thomas is back in Normandy... I'll need to fill in the gaps, so to speak.

edit: I've noticed something, though it's really rather unimportant and slightly anal of me to say so, but Chivalry's Norman knights in 0.98 have moustaches...Now I thought the Normans largely didn't go for facial hair..
    Last edited by Jingles; August 14, 2008 at 03:37 PM.

Patrician Artifex

Now I thought the Normans largely didn't go for facial hair..
    You might be right, do you have a reliable source for this statement (besides the Bayeux Tapestry), as it is unknown to me, after all they are the descendents of Vikings.
    Last edited by DaVinci; August 14, 2008 at 03:56 PM.

Well, I believe it's mentioned in a book I read recently by Trevor Rowley, though it might just be in relation to the tapestry... I'll take a look. While they were descended from Vikings, by the 1000's their culture was largely Frankish, so it's debateable as to how much Viking influence there was on the way they dressed and..uh, preened themselves... Sorry, I really couldnt think of a better word .

Patrician Artifex

... largely frankish influenced, of course. The viking Duke Rollo got the Normandie at 911 as frankish feudum. Bayeux, for some unknown reason, has been the settlement where Norman nobles sent their sons just to learn still their old idioms.
    But this what you say above isn't the answer ... i would say there weren't big differences in the hair-dressing in all the areas around, so i rather meant with my question, if you have a reliable source that Normans or Franks had no beards at all by that time, if yes, i will ask our skinner that he changes the face
    Last edited by DaVinci; August 14, 2008 at 05:14 PM.

Its no big deal, really I just wanted to find out why, seeing as you chaps have a much greater knowledge on the period than I do.

Patrician Artifex

Doesn't matter, i'm just thankful for any advice that can improve the mod.

This is a bit off topic, but do you know anything about this flag? I bought it on holiday in Wales and I'm damned if I can find anything about it:

Yeah I've seen it before; just scroll down to Welsh Royal Standards. I think it's the top one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_flags